• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: Why Mass Effect Andromeda Is A Better Game Than You Think

Hadoukie

I played through this a second time recently. Still liked it, especially with mods to make some things less annoying. Games really does get too much hate. There are just as many issues with the OT sequels, but people just seem to ignore them and dump all their hate in this one. To me ME1 is the only great Mass Effect game. It was a big drop-off afterwards

Vesna

Neo Member
Andromeda isn't bad, just like Fallout 4 and Deus Ex Mankind Divided aren't particularly bad. They're just "more of the same but worse", PS3/X360 generation games which haven't evolved enough. I wouldn't be surprised if Bethesda forced the development of Fallout 4 simply because they could (Fallout 76 plans and a need to upgrade the graphics) and because TES VI was years ahead. Even now TES VI is nowhere to be seen.
It's interesting how many great Western RPG franchises couldn't transition to PS4 generation, and even something like GTA did not get a new game.

Freeman76

No it doesn’t. Your squad mates are useless. Why even have them? It was designed around multiplayer not player character plus 2 squad mates.

Lmfao. You have to be fucking around with this comment. There are loads of legit reaaons to diss this game, but thats some real nonsense you're spouting there! At least play it man!

RoboFu

One of the green rats
No it doesn’t. Your squad mates are useless. Why even have them? It was designed around multiplayer not player character plus 2 squad mates.
??? I’m playing through the game now and my team kills everything. Cora and drag just demolishes everything.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Best battle system in the series, not as remarkable as the original trilogy but if handled better with its ambitious narrative coulda blown the original trilogy away with ease but oh well.

GC_DALBEN

ME trilogy is my favorite of all time, i tried playing Andromeda at least 4 times and quit after a few hours, its horrible. (the combat is good)

Dolomite

Still hoping for a proper next gen sequel whose story will completely invalidate Andromeda as some wierd druggy space dream, after waking up on the Normandy

Tschumi

That is with a lot of games nowadays. At least for me.
Me too, for me at least it's because I'm getting older and the buried voice saying "you should be using this time for something more constructive" is starting to hum through the gaming grey noise :p

It wasn't just a bad Mass Effect game and the title that basically killed the franchise (and after ME3's ending that was a fucking achievement), it was a bad game.

I played it long after they patched out most of the bugs and the game still looks like ass, has terrible dialogue, characters, sub-plots, the overall plot and its art direction is a cardinal sin.

Its only redeeming quality was the combat but even that quickly became trite when the enemies were braindead and the weapon and enemy variety didn't change much at all throughout the game.

Game Informer has been smoking too much reefer to put up a video like this as a serious take. It's no wonder gamers are increasingly finding it hard to take the videogame media seriously.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
It had potential. It was more open than 2 or 3. I thought it lacked a more standout protagonist, and some of the environments weren't as interesting as they could've been, but they can build on it.

Humdinger

I bought it, it arrived, and I'm just about to begin. I'll let you know how it goes.

I played ME: Andromeda for 6 to 8 hrs, two years ago. I didn't like it much.

This video caused me to give it another shot. They said that first section is like the Hinterlands in Dragon Age: Inquisition. You have to "leave the Hinterlands" before the game picks up. I never got there. So, I'm going to give it another shot. What the hell.

For those who wonder why I'm not playing the Legendary Edition, it's because I've already played ME1 3 times. Or 2 1/2.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

We just had this thread. Andromeda is average at best. its only worthy of the Mass Effect name cause Mass Effect 3 ruined the franchise well before Andromeda came along.

Barakov

Youre Wrong John C Mcginley GIF

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
“It’s a better game that you think ... so please run out to our parent company and buy up the thousands and thousands of used copies taking up valuable space.”

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I sold my copy of Andromeda the week it came out. I wasn’t feeling it. I think the games were good for the time they came out. I had ME1-3 at launch too. I even own the Legendary Edition. There’s a lot of potential in the franchise, but I don’t think they know how to do it. Andromeda was weird and I think it felt like a very mediocre ME game. I can justify some parts of a. game, but it was nothing like I remembered. I went back to Jade Empire and that was a lot worse. Some older games feel better left in the past.

I think a lot of people saw Andromeda not living up to ME3 and GI just wants to capture the pros after a couple years pass. I didn’t think Alpha Protocol looked good at all, but there’s a handful of people who love it.

Neolombax

I bought Andromeda at launch, and even then I thought it was an enjoyable experience. I liked the weapon modding system, and the combat was really fun having jetpacks and all. Made the combat really kinetic. Story wise, it was really lacking compared to the previous games, but I thought the ending to Andromeda was a really great sequence.

CitizenZ

Banned
Some quick thoughts after 20+ hrs on Insanity the definitive version no mods:

-Its a little confusing at first what to do and the pacing is reallllllyyyyy slow. It took a good 15 hrs before combat became a thing
-Excellent RPG from a build perspective though none of the conversation choices are needed unless you want to bang some freak
-Terrible Alien design, lacks enemy variety
- The whole thing like 80% of AAA, maybe more, feels lazy
-Woke AF
-Really fun, sometimes challenging combat
-Voice acting is either perfect or absolute garbage. Think Wrex with an effeminate voice, thats ME:A
-So at 20 hrs. Ive seen the main protagonist maybe for 2 minutes
-That frostbite engine doesn't fail in either performance or visuals
-There are some decent writing moments and actual laughs, but why does every Alien race speak English and have Earth ideas/jobs? Why cant they just be Aliens who want to fcking kill?????Why????

Its better than what I expected and its Ok, but so much potential is easily seen as another nail in the continuing saga of get woke, go broke.

Humdinger

OP here, checkin' in. Played about 6 or 7 hours, I think. I enjoyed it a lot, actually, up to a certain point. The story is all over the place, but the main characters are pretty good (e.g., Cora), and the dialog has been engaging. I've enjoyed the combat, too. I'm playing as a soldier, normal difficulty.

Then I got stuck in finding one of the damn gylphs. I'll have to resort to a walkthrough.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I grew weary of the story and constantly hearing people say "pathfinder"

It felt like a fan mod and considering how great ME1 & 2 are, just found myself wanting to play those instead. Actually ended up going back and played ME1 cause of my time with Andromeda.

RavageX

Saw this back near the top of the Main page so I just figured I'd pop in and remind everyone that this game sucks.

It is awful, even if it wasn't a Mass Effect game. I started playing the remasters, and was reminded at how well the games were put together. Different aliens, etc. Even playing the original versions are amazing compared to Andromeda as far as story and general life of characters, etc.

Andromeda is trash. No amount of patches could fix story, or lame party members. That's why they gave up on it.

OP here, checkin' in. Played about 6 or 7 hours, I think. I enjoyed it a lot, actually, up to a certain point. The story is all over the place, but the main characters are pretty good (e.g., Cora), and the dialog has been engaging. I've enjoyed the combat, too. I'm playing as a soldier, normal difficulty.

Then I got stuck in finding one of the damn gylphs. I'll have to resort to a walkthrough.
Lol prepare to do that 10 more times.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
LOL, what. The game is loaded with fetch quests.
Technically no you dont. I dont think i ever had an actual " go collect 5 whatevers " ... you go kill some things in an area, take out a "boss" of sorts, or you go and trigger/scan something. maybe the closest id say would be when you go scan a few things. and i can only think of 3 of those.

Top Bottom