• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer's McNamara: "I seriously think Nintendo has banned Game Informer"

gogogow

Banning the, what..7th biggest magazine in America is probably a great idea Nintendo.

It seems you know what happened between GI and Nintendo. Can you tell us more? Why did Nintendo ban GI and why are Nintendo being so difficult to GI?

Thanks.

I doubt it. Game Informer is too big for Nintendo to ban. I know many of people who only hear about video games through the magazine.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo doesn't understand that Western gaming press is actually your PR department!

"Nintendo tried to treat us like journalists! They didn't send us enough swag or moneyhats! WHAT THE FUCK, IWATA?"

Umm... outlets like Famitsu are far worse in terms of journalistic integrity than anything over in "the west".

Do we even know for a fact that anything has happened at all?

I mean wtf. This is like arguing that some guy in the distance looked at you funny and wants to start shit when their dick was just itchy or something.

Evlar

Banned
If this is a ploy to attract positive attention from the "despises most of the gaming hobbyist third-party marketing industry" demographic, then I'm their target audience.

Seanspeed

Banned
Unlikely that they have banned Game Informer.

More likely that they simply do not care about Game Informer.

Then they are morons.

But I've pretty much already figured that out with their marketing and PR disasters. If they think they can get away with all this crap and still sell the Wii U like the original Wii, they might be in for a rude awakening.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Good luck with that consumer confusion now.
R.I.P. Nintendo.

Oppo

So he doesn't even know but has to twit about it then half-redact with a snarky remark to make it look like it's not his fault even if he was wrong about it. Neat. Now game "journalists" don't even bother fact checking their own shit, never mind that of others.

jesus christ. i am getting out of here.

Sounds like their trying to get exclusives there.

"If you don't give us what we want, we won't give you anything"

Looks like no one had a good E3, especially those who have nothing to talk about for the next few months (especially since other than WiiU/3DS most of those games shown are not 2012 releases).

Slightly ridiculous. Nintendo best ignore them; they have ways to reach their customers and other customers through other media and other sites/mags.

Somnid

Nintendo seems content with releasing their own information and I think ultimately this is the best way to do it. GI readers aren't in need of information, the audience they need to inform is the one that likes Nintendo, bought a Wii/DS but doesn't keep up with gaming and let it rot. People have the internet, they use Facebook and Twitter, just connect directly to them, no need for bro-centric middle-men.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
R.I.P. Nintendo.

I know my mum is confused about the WiiU from only getting her news from newspapers rather than gaming mags. She thinks it going to be the next big thing and the media only thinks positive things about it. Dear oh dear mummy.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Nintendo seems content with releasing their own information and I think ultimately this is the best way to do it. GI readers aren't in need of information, the audience they need to inform is the one that likes Nintendo, bought a Wii/DS but doesn't keep up with gaming and let it rot. People have the internet, they use Facebook and Twitter, just connect directly to them, no need for bro-centric middle-men.

What?! These are people who basically give away their used games because they don't know better.

I know my mum is confused about the WiiU from only getting her news from newspapers rather than gaming mags. She thinks it going to be the next big thing and the media only thinks positive things about it. Dear oh dear mummy.

DOESN'T SHE KNOW ABOUT PS3/VITA CROSSPLAY!

Then they are morons.

But I've pretty much already figured that out with their marketing and PR disasters. If they think they can get away with all this crap and still sell the Wii U like the original Wii, they might be in for a rude awakening.

I doubt that they think that the Wii U will be the fastest selling console ever, not in the middle of a recession.

Fourth largest now: http://accessabc.wordpress.com/2012/02/07/top-25-u-s-consumer-magazines-for-the-second-half-of-2011/

gameinformer4refre.png

Nat Geo below Reader's Digest?! This is an OUTRAGE

injurai

Banned
I don't think Andy should be publically ousting nintendo just yet. Kinda a bad practice, we all saw what happened when notch did that with yogscast.

Roto13

You know what, ive got no problem with that. If i enjoy a shitty game, should i give it a great score cause im enjoying it? Or vice versa, i absolutely despise GTA, so should i give it a bad score because of that? Its more than just "i liked it so it gets a good score".

Thank god you don't review video games.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I don't really see the logic of his call to arms. Why should consumers boycott a company for a conceived slight against anyone besides the consumer? Magazine previews are all well and good for the managing editor of a magazine, but they're fluff pieces whose value totally evaporates once the product actually hits the market.

apana

Maybe they are just too busy right now? I don't know, call them back and leave a message. Tell Miyamoto that apana says hi.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

You know Famitsu is literally a game publisher in Japan, right?

It bodes poorly for several categories of their software, as well as for third party software on their platform, to not have a good relationship with western press.

JABEE

I don't really see the logic of his call to arms. Why should consumers boycott a company for a conceived slight against anyone besides the consumer? Magazine previews are all well and good for the managing editor of a magazine, but they're fluff pieces whose value totally evaporates once the product actually hits the market.

So readers understand that Game Informer won't bend to the will of Nintendo. Them not having coverage of newest Nintendo games is not out of laziness. It is because Nintendo is preventing them from having access to preview copies of their games and assets to use in their magazine. Nintendo is probably doing this for the same reason Ubisoft blacklisted EGM from their events. Not having preview access to new games makes your magazine or outlet look like a weaker outlet. Nintendo is probably attacking GI in their very means of getting comprehensive coverage in a way to influence coverage of their games throughout production to release. Sony did the same to 1UP after they gave MLB The Show 07 a bad score. It's a way to directly financially influence the way a media outlet covers a game.

IrishNinja

Nintendo finally saw the infamous Paper Mario review.

which specifically? TTYD? i keep seeing exerts here...

Must be awful not having your entire content handed to you by PR.

heh, my thoughts here.

R.I.P. Nintendo.

yeah, this'll be what does them in. not the other stuff.

You know Famitsu is literally a game publisher in Japan, right?

i did not know this.

jmood88

Nintendo doesn't understand that Western gaming press is actually your PR department!

"Nintendo tried to treat us like journalists! They didn't send us enough swag or moneyhats! WHAT THE FUCK, IWATA?"

Unlike that bastion of journalistic integrity, Famitsu.

Einhander

I think it's more so a matter of Nintendo preferring to work with Nintendo Power, as far as North American game magazines are concerned. They seem to have gotten some exclusive announcements from Nintendo, lately. But flat out refusing to work with Game Informer? I think that's false.

Top Bottom