• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer's McNamara: "I seriously think Nintendo has banned Game Informer"

Nintendo continues to not get Western press, apparently. No elaboration yet, but I wonder how long it'll take them to realize that their secrecy about announced software is probably ultimately counterproductive.

VIl1v.png

ygZ0Y.png

I'd imagine it's the follow-up tweet, rather than the first. I don't recall ever hearing anything about Nintendo refusing to deal with other game mags/sites, but their secrecy and determination to release info on their (often odd) schedule must make them difficult to deal with.

Glix

Nintendo doesn't understand that Western gaming press is actually your PR department!

"Nintendo tried to treat us like journalists! They didn't send us enough swag or moneyhats! WHAT THE FUCK, IWATA?"

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Game Journalists possibly having to do some investigative journalism?

What a shame.

I doubt they "banned" GI. But if they did, it's probably because they got as tired as everyone else did at almost every Wii game's review being qualified with something to the effect of "...but it would be better on HD consoles."

Foffy

Banned
What are the reasons the magazine feels like they're banned? Nintendo doesn't really gush out on their projects often, and isn't that something that always happens with GI cover stories?

LQX

Figured they would be on better terms especially with that cover of Skyward Sword from last year.

I think what it is though is that Nintendo just do not have much to show or tell even to the press with NDA. Its apparent they are rushing the shit out of the Wii U.

Forkball

I'll never trust Game Informer with Nintendo games after they gave Paper Mario 2 a 6.75 and said this as their reason:

Remember, we aren't scoring games strictly on our personal opinions, we're also scoring them based on how much we think THE GAMING PUBLIC will like them. We've all played games that we personally disliked and scored them well because we've known that most people will like them, and we've also scored games low that we love, because most people won't enjoy them.

Uh huh.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Not working with you?

msw7b.jpg

I mean, I know it's been a while, but if Nintendo really banned GI (and banned from what, exactly?) they must have a reason.

Eric Hall

GI may be terrible, but they are still one of the most popular magazines in America. Dumb on Nintendo to not do anything with them at all. But, we don't know all the details yet either

Where else would Nintendo go to for coverage, magazine-wise? Nintendo Power? The shambling corpse known as EGM?

Neiteio

Not working with you?

msw7b.jpg

I mean, I know it's been a while, but if Nintendo really banned GI (and banned from what, exactly?) they must have a reason.
That was, like, the first and only Nintendo cover story in ages, likely because Nintendo actually wanted to promote that game (as though all the other exception-to-the-rule moves like the concerts, CDs, etc, weren't clue enough).

I suspect Nintendo's just doing things on their own terms, for better or worse. They should be trying to drum up as much positive press as possible by giving media outlets a deeper look at their games. Ah well.

I'll never trust Game Informer with Nintendo games after they gave Paper Mario 2 a 6.75 and said this as their reason:

Uh huh.

You know what, ive got no problem with that. If i enjoy a shitty game, should i give it a great score cause im enjoying it? Or vice versa, i absolutely despise GTA, so should i give it a bad score because of that? Its more than just "i liked it so it gets a good score".

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So he doesn't even know but has to twit about it then half-redact with a snarky remark to make it look like it's not his fault even if he was wrong about it. Neat. Now game "journalists" don't even bother fact checking their own shit, never mind that of others.

Nintendo doesn't understand that Western gaming press is actually your PR department!

"Nintendo tried to treat us like journalists! They didn't send us enough swag or moneyhats! WHAT THE FUCK, IWATA?"

Yeah because that sure doesn't happen in Japan. Famitsu's legit!

Megasoum

Banned
Knowing Game Informers and McNamara this is probably a PR tactic to tease the next GI cover... They are pathetic at the same time every months...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think GI is incorrectly assuming that Nintendo's corporate stubbornness when it comes to dealing with American games media is targeted at them correctly.

Of course, I've made my opinion about that policy pretty clear :p

Top Bottom