• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer's Top 10 Games Of 2021

It looks like the list hasn't been posted yet or at least I was not able to find a thread about this. I won't spoil the list order in case anyone wants to read it themselves.

It's a good list but honestly kind of surprised at the order ranking for some titles.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Minus Life is Strange, this is probably my list in a different order.

Inscryption is hot. People should play Inscryption. It's just such a hard sell because the less you know the better.

Kagey K

Banned
well...it's been 2 years this century...

I also think it's been a really good year. Tons of great games, especially smaller titles.
GIF by Achievement Hunter

I don't think thats how it works. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I don't think thats how it works. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Man I was really hoping I hadn't gone senile.

Either way, there's been no bigger critic of 343 then me, but what they managed to pull of with Infinite deserves accolades. I'm too old and slow for arena based MP, but the campaign is fantastic. Hell, if they break out some Big Team Battle on huge maps I'll probably jump in.

The other games on that list that will end up in my Top 10 are FH5(2), RE8(top 5ish) and Psychonauts (bottom 5ish)

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I can dig this list. But man do I live in a different gaming world haha. Nothing I play, except the recent Forza, is on there. Games have become very divergent, but I'm happy with that. There is finally more room opening up for midteir dev studios and that's just where my taste lies. Something about a game put together by a smaller team; it's more focused with a refreshing vision. I can live without 'AAA' graphics too.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
90% western games plus the usual Resident Evil.

Usual mainstream western outlet in a year with plenty of great Japanese games.

The fact that Tales of Arise isn't there says it all. 🤔
well in all honestly that list is full of high rated (metacritic) games ... and loved by videogamers .... there is also the game of the year (although I hate that prize with all my heart) Japanese games are losing that appeal to the general public they had in the 90s probably this is due to the fact that most AAA productions this days are western games

jaysius

Banned
Life is Strange is trash, and Pyschonauts 2 is far too low on that list. Halo Infinite while fun, isn't a #1 GOTY.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
the game of the year

The game of the year? What game of the year?

Japanese games are losing that appeal to the general public they had in the 90s probably this is due to the fact that most AAA productions this days are western games

Japanese games are losing appeal to the general public because western press keeps pushing western games and generally ignoring what isn't western.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Life is Strange: True Colors certainly came out of nowhere for me, but it absolutely belongs on this list (might even be in my personal top three for 2021).

Tales of Arise and Ratchet and Clank got robbed. My personal list would also include Ys 9 and Scarlet Nexus.

MonarchJT

Banned
The game of the year? What game of the year?
In my opinion : A loved stupid prize invented by a biased fake journalist

Japanese games are losing appeal to the general public because western press keeps pushing western games and generally ignoring what isn't western.
Surely this is also true but with the advent of multiplayer the Japanese games were starting to lose hits ... the final blow is being given by the megaproductions with realistic graphics.
I know even if what you say is objectively true it is also true that their games have never tried to break through the western market.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Outside a few exceptions, this really highlights for me was a mild year for gaming this has been. Maybe the most barren so far this century.
A lot of great games have been released this year. SMT V, the Nier remake, Monster Hunter, Metroid... and many more that I haven't played but people seem to have liked a lot, like Tales of Arise or Returnal.

Don't you like any of those? What kinda games do you play?

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
In my opinion : A loved stupid prize invented by a biased fake journalist

I'm just curious why you said "the." Is there some sort of official game of the year award I have missed? 🤔

Surely this is also true but with the advent of multiplayer the Japanese games were starting to lose hits ... the final blow is being given by the megaproductions with realistic graphics.
I know even if what you say is objectively true it is also true that their games have never tried to break through the western market.

They have tried and they still try. I know a lot of Japanese developers who make great efforts to break into western markets, and also to be covered by mainstream western outlets. And I know for a fact that some respond "we'll cover your game if you give us the exclusive" so the developers find themselves having to decide between pissing off the smaller outlets that cover them faithfully every time there's news without asking anything in exchange or giving up the chance of being covered by a bigger one.

Last edited:
A lot of great games have been released this year. SMT V, the Nier remake, Monster Hunter, Metroid... and many more that I haven't played but people seem to have liked a lot, like Tales of Arise or Returnal.

Don't you like any of those? What kinda games do you play?
You make a good point here. Plug the games you mentioned into that list and it makes it look better. I'm not crazy about small indie stuff, or (Allah forgive me typing this) card games.

ButchCat

Minus Life is Strange, this is probably my list in a different order.

Inscryption is hot. People should play Inscryption. It's just such a hard sell because the less you know the better.
I never heard of Inscryption until now. Is it actually a card game or something else?

MonarchJT

Banned
I'm just curious why you said "the" is that some sort of official game of the year award I have missed? 🤔
aah no sorry. a simple mistake of my bad english

They have tried and they still try. I know a lot of Japanese developers who make great efforts to break into western markets, and also to be covered by mainstream western outlets. And I know for a fact that some respond "we'll cover your game if you give us the exclusive" so the developers find themselves having to decide between pissing off the smaller outlets that cover them faithfully every time there's news without asking anything in exchange or giving up the chance of being covered by a bigger one.
Surely the industry of videogames (especially the most famous outlets) yes it behaves in a partisan manner, always and only safeguarding its own interests. And on this I could think like you, but then, I look at small indie productions like Hades from Supergiant games ... which despite not being initially pushed by any famous outlet .. managed with word of mouth thanks to the quality of the game to force the outlets to talked about it. so I guess it's a bit of both sides' fault

Last edited:
Top Bottom