• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game "Journalism": Major sites fooled by 4chan, Jason Schreier offers GAF apology

Even worse is that everyone refers to Eurogamer as the source and they have fantastic words such as these:

"The listing has since been yanked, but Eurogamer was able to capture a screenshot of the page. It suggests the game will carry a €39.99 (about $50) price point." -Gamespot

"Eurogamer was alerted to this by reader el_pollo_diablo, who sent us the image displayed in this story." -Eurogamer

"Sony is hosting the PlayStation Vita Game Heaven on March 9, and we have a feeling that it just might include these titles." -Joystiq

"Eurogamer was alerted to the leak by a reader, posting images of all four games listed on the site. The link to Monster Hunter 3 is still live on Play.com." -IGN

"Perhaps the most interesting news here is an HD version of action-RPG Final Fantasy Type-0, which publisher Square Enix released for PlayStation Portable in Japan last year. Although the chances that we'll see that PSP game in the U.S. or Europe seem fairly slim, an HD remake for PlayStation Vita is far more likely to make its way over here." -Kotaku

smh.

Now we wait for Tortilla's excuse, he might blame 4chan for not fact checking like they blamed cheapassgamer for a random forum poster faking a microsoft memo.

scy

I hope these end up actually being revealed and I hope Sony uses that image for the reveal.

Please, please, please.

When wishing, might as well go for broke!

Macstorm

This all stems from people dying to get paid for posting things and getting more hits from posting it first. Fact checking? Who needs that, just say it's a rumor.

Zuly

That isn't even a good photoshop to begin with. Way to go gaming ̶j̶o̶u̶r̶n̶a̶l̶i̶s̶t̶s̶ .

Joni

Most actually try to confirm with trusted sources before posting it.

Not here anyway. A TV show here set up a fake news agency and sent press releases to all major papers. Things in the style of "Voters of party X have more sex" and every news paper posted it without checking with them. Even worse, the politicians themselves referred to those studies.

Hell, even I managed to fool a news paper. They requested a photo of a beached whale. So I sent them one, namely the first one I could find on Google. From a different species than the one described in their article. They posted it. On their frontpage for four hours before another reader mentionned it was fake.

Instead of smirking about it on a forum, why don't ya pm/ tweet the editors?

People make mistakes. And it's the Internet. Everything is a lie xD.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
The funny thing is that... even if the news turn out to be fake, all those four titles are almost certain at this point to arrive before or later. It's just a matter of time, not of "do they exist?" LMAO.

If the editors read those tweets and their own blog's comment posting, they will realize that a few people are calling it fake and mentioning why it is fake. But nope, they all want the hits and ad money. At least 10,000+ hits on each page before they decide to change something for even more controversial hits. This thread alone has 3000 hits...

Maybe it is real, and 4chan just got lucky with the timing, which led to Eurogamer accidently leaking it and getting mixed up with all the official info they already have :O

Betcha didn't think about that did you?

But this is pretty funny somewhat

daviyoung

Banned

'Hey guys, you're doing a great job and everything, but you made a slight mistake here. Please try and fix it as soon as possible as I don't think anything should tarnish your already stellar reputation'

CamHostage

very similar to the "Metal Gear Solid: Triology" business a few years back.

No one wants to get "scooped", no one wants to fact check.

Short correction: everybody WANTS to fact check, but editors who wait get shit on for posting old news, and companies rarely answer queries as it is because they're so focused on staying on message.

(PR has also lost staff in a large number of companies as they deal with the economy and move towards employing "Community Managers" to shill product, and the number of products that companies are producing these days has gone up by several factors thanks to the mobile explosion and three platforms and two handhelds and PCs and all that.)

(Also, "trusted sources" are increasingly rare because those sources are either too terrified of losing their jobs to speak or else are not interested in the press anymore when they can easily post to NeoGAF or blog it and take some credit for themselves.)

So, it's a shitty business to be in if you're an old-school journalist who cares about quality. It doesn't help for us readers that old-school journalists are a dying breed, and that the readership increasingly doesn't care...

It is not only game 'journalism', most news paper journalists can be fooled like this.

Not any newspaper worth it's delivery weight. It's rare for several major newspapers to jump on such a patently false story. The OP had like 4 or 5 of the biggest videogame websites on the net. I can't think of a story, ever, that the Boston Globe, NYT, WaPo, WSJ, and Chicago Tribune all jumped on that was patently fabricated and so easy to see through.

Newspapers do their homework.

I picture all of these places as cramped little tenant spaces with 250 people in cubicles reading every game site they know of as fast as possible, mashing F5, then emailing everything to some central guy who just runs around the office with an iPad screaming "Post it, just post it NOW"

The funny thing is that... even if the news turn out to be fake, all those four titles are almost certain at this point to arrive before or later. It's just a matter of time, not of "do they exist?" LMAO.

You are right, but they don't exist on how they are portraying it to be, since they are all "Captain Obvious/Shocking News" choices.

Monster Hunter; most definitely since its a system seller and its port is very much requested.
GTA; most definitely, but it won't be Vice City Nights.
Final Fantasy; most definitely but not Final Fantasy Type-0 HD.
Tales of Innocence; most likely.

fernoca

Yep. As I said in the other thread..
The games in some way are expected and heck some might be announced soon too; but it doesn't change the fact that all this websites based their news/info/whatever on a badly Photshopped images and old information; while not verifying anything.

games-journalismaf8t.gif

Los Pollos Hermano is a hero.

Fixed.

Not any newspaper worth it's delivery weight. It's rare for several major newspapers to jump on such a patently false story. The OP had like 4 or 5 of the biggest videogame websites on the net. I can't think of a story, ever, that the Boston Globe, NYT, WaPo, WSJ, and Chicago Tribune all jumped on that was patently fabricated and so easy to see through.

Newspapers do their homework.

But how often does something like this happen outside of the good stuff that those sites provide?

The writers/publications serve their purpose the majority of the time. Be it features, reviews, news - it's what people demand and what they're provided with.

This is pretty embarrassing though no doubt.

HylianTom

Banned
Nintendo to release new console, named the Nintendo Juicy™ on October 15th this year. This has been confirmed by NeoGAF user HylianTom, and has been re-confirmed via the ********** podcast this past weekend.

Price and accessory inclusions are not yet detailed, and Nintendo has not returned our calls asking for comments. Stay tuned for more Nintendo Juicy™ details.!

Top Bottom