• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game "Journalism": Major sites fooled by 4chan, Jason Schreier offers GAF apology

Actually, I'm asking you to prove the accusations you're making in this thread. You are accusing me (and other reporters) of posting incorrect information, but your evidence appears to be based on nothing but assumptions. If you want to continue throwing around tired "lol game journalism" insults instead of, you know, actually backing up your claims, be my guest.

Meanwhile, as I said before, if anybody has something conclusive showing that these listings have been photoshopped, please let me know here or via e-mail (jason@kotaku.com). I will of course continue to look into this on my own, but I always appreciate hearing more info.

Your post cited Eurogamer's "tipster" as a source. I posted proof above from their comments section that there wasn't a tipster - it was at best a third-hand, circulated image, and none of the people involved in its circulation claim to have seen the supposed listings in the first place. If you don't think that's cause for an edit and are insisting on some kind of smoking gun proving beyond a doubt that it was Photoshopped, I don't really know what else to say.

Since you can't order from Play, Amazon.co.uk has the new FF Type-0 for you.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/6135025112/

Please note that the content of this book primarily consists of articles available from Wikipedia or other free sources online. Final Fantasy Type-0​ is a video game published by Square Enix for the PlayStation Portableand currently being developed by the company's 1st Production Department. The game was previously known as Final Fantasy Agito XIII; "Agito" roughly meaning "to put in motion" in Latin. Hajime Tabata says that he liked the Agito title, but the game didn't have much to do with Final Fantasy XIII. With the name change, they want to develop Type-0 into a series. Even though the game no longer has "XIII" in its title, the game is still part of the Fabula Nova Crystallis series.
WTF?

massoluk

Banned
Actually, I'm asking you to prove the accusations you're making in this thread. You are accusing me (and other reporters) of posting incorrect information, but your evidence appears to be based on nothing but assumptions. If you want to continue throwing around tired "lol game journalism" insults instead of, you know, actually backing up your claims, be my guest.

Meanwhile, as I said before, if anybody has something conclusive showing that these listings have been photoshopped, please let me know here or via e-mail (jason@kotaku.com). I will of course continue to look into this on my own, but I always appreciate hearing more info.

What the hell man. You expected people to prove the negative?
I'd like you to prove it to me that Glenn Beck didn't rape and murder a girl in 1990s while we're at it.

Perkel

Banned
Bloggers get fooled by 4chan.

GAF talks about journalism.
Well i have with friends started gaming site, when some news hit then i usually tried to check it before posting. I worked for free.

Somebody is earning money and can't even check his sources ? That's how you should't do you work in any "journalism"

frequency

On Amazon.ca, there are a ton of "books" listed with the same titles as video games. I always assumed it was some scam.

Amazon.ca is terrible at stocking niche things or putting things up for preorder in a timely manner. So often when I'm searching, I come across these "book" listings. I assume that Amazon.co.uk FF Type-0 "book" is the same thing.

Ken

On Amazon.ca, there are a ton of "books" listed with the same titles as video games. I always assumed it was some scam.

Amazon.ca is terrible at stocking niche things or putting things up for preorder in a timely manner. So often when I'm searching, I come across these "book" listings. I assume that Amazon.co.uk FF Type-0 "book" is the same thing.
That's been going on on Amazon US for quite some time now too.

Withnail

These sites don't care about posting inaccuracies, they get hits either way and if something's wrong it just means they get to post a correction later.

GQman2121

Banned
How do websites like these make money again? There's your answer. Integrity is internet speak for "poor" or "unemployed". If a sniff of news is considered breaking, they don't give fuck, they're too busy posting for the clicks.

It's a tough job the news business. If your peers are doing it, why not half-ass and call it a day?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
How utterly embarrassingly unprofessional, Jason. It's lucky you're at a place beset by a constant stream of illegitimate complaints and internet whiners. Your job is likely safe because your superiors likely won't care to sift through the garbage complaints and see this very real instance of shoddy workmanship and borderline plagiarism on your part.

Know that nearly any reputable site or news source would have you packing your things by now. You should be counting your lucky stars and just stop attempting to hold unpaid forum posters to standards that you've just proven to be wholly incapable of upholding.

It's not their job to fact check. It is yours, and yours alone. It's not Ignis Fatuus or Father_Brain's name on the byline. It's yours. Your actual name, by the way, Jason Schreier.

Which will likely pop up on Google for future employers who now know you're lazy, unethical and willing to lash out at a likely consumer base because you've failed to do the bare minimum of your job.

fernoca

That and the post from the thread starter:

First of all, I'm not the author. Someone re-posted the image on 4chan's /v/

4chan back then had the picture been posted around half an hour before been posted in here.Because of the time differences/screen caps (plus under the assumption that it was non-news) I didn't take any screen pics of the 4chan page.

The "chanarchive" also has post in all those times, but missing posts from around the time said image was posted.

Searching even more brought another result from Meristation (is in spanish).
Now, because of the time differences don't know if it was posted before or after here (not sure if the time in the forum is their time, mine, etc.). User posted the image, then in the next post; added a link to the games section saying that the games were removed.

Then another site grabbed the info/picture form there (also in spanish) while adding that the 'Vice City Nights' might be a prequel to GTAV.

Curufinwe

Reminds me of the Xbox Pure situation from a few years ago.

CheapyD needs to bring back that competition at CAG. Some game journalists will take any old internet image or forum post as fact, and it never stops being funny.

scy

Seriously though, this:

NjoDe.png

That's the bar I'm wondering that disappeared.

FoneBone

It seems a tad unprofessional to go with it as anything more than a rumor (which, admittedly, you did mention).
They mentioned the games themselves as a rumor, but all of the sites - every single one - stated as a fact that this supposed "leak" had actually occurred. It's insane.

Interfectum

Whatever the case, their quest for hits worked. I never visit the sites listed in the OP but I actually clicked on every news story this time. So in the end, their bosses win.

How dumb do you have to be to not recognize some of those as photoshopped? I mean look at the GTA one for frick sakes.
Either way, not confirming the story was pretty weak by those sites.

This needs that picture of the guy pointing at a computer saying "This looks shopped, I can tell from some of the pixels and from seeing quite a few shops in my time."

How utterly embarrassingly unprofessional, Jason. It's lucky you're at a place beset by a constant stream of illegitimate complaints and internet whiners. Your job is likely safe because your superiors likely won't care to sift through the garbage complaints and see this very real instance of shoddy workmanship and borderline plagiarism on your part.

Know that nearly any reputable site or news source would have you packing your things by now. You should be counting your lucky stars and just stop attempting to hold unpaid forum posters to standards that you've just proven to be wholly incapable of upholding.

It's not their job to fact check. It is yours, and yours alone. It's not Ignis Fatuus or Father_Brain's name on the byline. It's yours. Your actual name, by the way, Jason Schreier.

Which will likely pop up on Google for future employers who now know you're lazy, unethical and willing to lash out at a likely consumer base because you've failed to do the bare minimum of your job.
Damn dude

Foffy

Banned

Ouch. I feel the burns. D:

Dunan

I like how in the bogus ad it's "Final Fantasy Type-O" (oh) and not "Type-0" (zero).

The Japanese version actually has a slash through the zero. We could be even more ambiguous and call it Type-Ø.
amd pronounce that ø like in Danish where it's like the vowel in "murder"; I'd pay extra for that.

Mr. Fix

The truth. Seriously, what the hell man? It's your responsibility, stop pinning it on others.

in defense of Justin McElroy getting his humerous skyrim dance gif that he provided himself... He had nothing to do with this as far as anybody can tell. Verge Gaming didnt run it.

Interfectum

woigO.gif

Withnail

By the way the guy who wrote the Eurogamer article was also responsible for this classic, amongst others.

How do websites like these make money again? There's your answer. Integrity is internet speak for "poor" or "unemployed". If a sniff of news is considered breaking, they don't give fuck, they're too busy posting for the clicks.

It's a tough job the news business. If your peers are doing it, why not half-ass and call it a day?

Spot on.

Medalion

Banned
It is the price we pay for the internet world... the best place for gaming gossip, the underbelly of internet society

Oh wow at the update on the article from Kotaku

Update: In response to Kotaku's request for comment, publisher Square Enix said it has "no information on [Final Fantasy Type-0's] availability on the PS Vita."

Sony said it would not comment on rumors or speculation.

Some posters on the message board NeoGAF have questioned the veracity of these listings, pointing out that the above image may be Photoshopped. Although we have not been able to verify that the image is fake, a Eurogamer reader wrote in the article's comments saying that he works for Play and that there are no listings for Tales of Innocence R, Final Fantasy Type-0, or Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Nights in the retailer's system.

NeoGAF poster Father_Brain also points out that the Eurogamer tipster has admitted he did not take a screenshot of the listing. It instead seems to have circulated from a variety of sources including the Something Awful message boards.

Father_Brain take your bow you've been named in a Kotaku article

Top Bottom