• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game "Journalism": Major sites fooled by 4chan, Jason Schreier offers GAF apology

Riggs

Banned
Hey guys. I'm the Kotaku reporter who wrote about this rumor. I've read through both this thread and the Play.com one and I can't seem to find any sort of proof that these game listings were photoshopped. Can somebody point me to the 4chan thread or wherever else you guys saw conclusive proof that the listings were fake? Or somebody claiming to have made the listings?

Just so you know, my standard operating procedure is to make it very clear when something is an unconfirmed rumor (as I did in the post) and to contact all related companies for comment (as I did this morning). Since the listings look legitimate, the timing seems to match with Sony's big Vita announcement plans on Friday, and none of the games seem particularly farfetched, I had no problem running this rumor as is.

If it's incorrect, I'm happy to update the post and admit my mistake. But right now all I see is a bunch of GAFfers assuming it's incorrect because it looks like it's maybe kinda fake? If somebody has more evidence than that, please let me know!

Knew there was a reason I stopped following this guy on twitter a few months ago, lol since when did anyone at Kotaku have a standard operating procedure. Minus bashcrofts SOP of posting non gaming related articles 93.2% of the time.

Feature

Banned
So pathetic, good thing I never read up on these crap websites anymore. Valve is my main source for information.

Knew there was a reason I stopped following this guy on twitter a few months ago, lol since when did anyone at Kotaku have a standard operating procedure. Minus bashcrofts SOP of posting non gaming related articles 93.2% of the time.
I stopped at standard operating procedure as well. Big words.

mclem

This right here is why I waste my time exclusively on GAF. Here there are consequences for reposting unsubstantiated crap like this.

Mind you, there are downsides to that. I had a bit of news which I firmly believed to be true that I wished to post. However... it was April 1st - a rather risky time to post news. I did post it, but I put a *ludicrous* number of disclaimers on the post!

I love his non-gaming posts, it's his pro-Japan anti-China stance that gets me everytime.

FStop7

Banned
By the way, where is Totilo at? I know he reads GAF. When someone posted a Kotaku article in its entirety he was very quick to show up and complain about it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm trying my best to make sense of the OP, but the updates go upwards, not downwards. Am i supposed to read the OP backwards?

EDIT: I think I get the gist of the OP. I just started somewhere in the middle of the post and read to the end, and then went back to the start of the post, and read to the middle.

Wait, what?

Riggs

Banned
I'm trying my best to make sense of the OP, but the updates go upwards, not downwards. Am i supposed to read the OP backwards?

EDIT: I think I get the gist of the OP. I just started somewhere in the middle of the post and read to the end, and then went back to the start of the post, and read to the middle.

Wait, what?

Made no sense for me either until I started reading the entire thread. It's quotes from within the thread mainly , but ya kind of backwards.

Btw surprised Kotaku gets hated on the most, Destructoid is just as bad if not worse. Maybe tied? I guess Kotaku brings in a shitload more cash compared to Destructoid? Being part of Gawker and all.

The funny thing is that there are some damned good writers in the field, but goddamn are they insufferable on Twitter. Heh.

Riggs

Banned
The funny thing is that there are some damned good writers in the field, but goddamn are they insufferable on Twitter. Heh.

Seriously! I really liked Kuchera when he worked for Arstech but after following him on twitter for like a month I couldn't stand him anymore.

blind51de

Banned
A few highlights of excuses made yesterday by Schreier on a gamefaqs-spinoff message board, where he has been a regular poster since 2004:
Schreier's private apology:
Qi2dE.png

Schreier responds to point related to his credibility:
37uEB.png

Schreier's reply to Wanderingwind:
rsW29.png

Others:
-Justified how he is not a complete Gawker view-whore in that he did not publish an obviously-fake set of blueprints for a "DS Lite".
-His editor has sent him a message reading, "You're one of the best reporters in the field. Anyone who doesn't see that is wrong."
-Had a user's Kotaku account banned for posting the picture from his blog, as a "personal attack". Gloated afterwards.
-Has not replied to people suggesting he make any sort of public apology (he made one to us, remember), or even laugh about the irony of the situation in related to his comments on Twitter (two completely different situations, according to him).

Schreier, better known on the other forum as "Prism" or "Fox1340", is taken no more seriously there than in this topic. He is a well-known and community-relevant punchline to the joke that is videogame journalism.

Regarding this thread - this is why I prefer Wired over all other news sources. At least they've got their shit together.
Schreier actually did used to contribute to Wired, how he went from that to Gawker is a mystery.

Why can't people admit mistakes WITHOUT adding some bullshit at the end excusing yourself for doing it or tossing in some insult towards their critics.

scy

I still don't understand how ToI localization is plausible for the Friday conference. I still can't wrap my head around that one. But that's not really a big deal, I suppose.

And I don't think too many people give a damn about these games being reported as rumors, it's that the source causing the rumor never existed so there was nothing to rumor about in the first place. If these were actually put up on Play, then it's all okay that wild speculation came about and there's nothing wrong about the article(s); sure, it's iffy logic at best that some of these would be announced but, hey, look at that, some retailer actually put them up and things have broken that way before. But it never happened. There was none of that. That's the issue, not the games themselves.

I do quite like the victim angle, though. Step up to confront people, get targeted, victim card! Wonder why those mean internet people are targeting someone who came forward to argue about it.

mclem

A few highlights of excuses made yesterday by Schreier on Gamefaqs spinoff site "LUElinks", where he has been a regular poster since 2004:
Qi2dE.png

Once again, a person *doesn't contact play.com*. Why is that? They're ostensibly the source! They can tell you what has been on their servers! They can probably also tell you how long the Monster Hunter 3 listing has been there.

Every journalist seems to have investigated the *rumour* and not verified the *source*. Surely, but surely, that *has* to be the first step?

Busaiku

Once again, a person *doesn't contact play.com*. Why is that? They're ostensibly the source! They can tell you what has been on their servers! They can probably also tell you how long the Monster Hunter 3 listing has been there.

Every journalist seems to have investigated the *rumour* and not verified the *source*. Surely, but surely, that *has* to be the first step?

Clearly you're not cut out to be a VG journalist.

jay

I really don't see how any of this is relevant except as some sort of odd smear tactic due to a personal grudge. Your entire post reeks of a personal hatred and I think you need to keep this topic clear of that.

It did clarify for me that he did not contact the website the image supposedly came from, so that's something.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
A few highlights of excuses made yesterday by Schreier on Gamefaqs spinoff site "LUElinks", where he has been a regular poster since 2004:
Qi2dE.png

37uEB.png

rsW29.png

Others:
-Justified how he is not a complete Gawker view-whore in that he did not publish an obviously-fake set of blueprints for a "DS Lite".
-His editor has sent him a message reading, "You're one of the best reporters in the field. Anyone who doesn't see that is wrong."
-Had a user's Kotaku account banned for posting the picture from his blog, as a "personal attack". Gloated afterwards.
-Has not replied to people suggesting he make any sort of public apology (he made one to us, remember), or even laugh about the irony of the situation in related to his comments on Twitter (two completely different situations, according to him).

Schreier, better known on LUElinks as "Prism" or "Fox1340", is taken no more seriously there than in this topic. He is a well-known and community-relevant punchline to the joke that is videogame journalism.

Schreier actually did used to contribute to Wired, how he went from that to Gawker is a mystery.

It's kind of cute that he responded to me in another thread where I do not have an account.

Holy fuck, indeed.

If you really want to know what I think, Jason, it's simply this. You're extremely immature and severely unprofessional. This simply cements that opinion.

FStop7

Banned
This describes my career trajectory to a T.

One of the reasons you've had so many fans is because you've been an exception to the rule, Shawn. I'm sure you're aware of that.

That said, are you really denying that the gaming enthusiast press has in no small part become the farm league for those aspiring to get industry jobs?

hauton

Now he's trying to get blind51de banned on LL for posting those screens as "off-site harassment"

Typical tactics.

Foffy

Banned

He's contributed to Joystiq, too.

I think it's funny that you guys are bringing stuff from another site here to GAF. I thought communities were supposed to be bubbles. :p

Qi2dE.png

37uEB.png

rsW29.png

Others:

Schreier, better known on LUElinks as "Prism" or "Fox1340", is taken no more seriously there than in this topic. He is a well-known and community-relevant punchline to the joke that is videogame journalism.

Damn. He's still digging that hole? You couldn't just keep your head down for a bit, Jason?

He's contributed to Joystiq, too.

I think it's funny that you guys are bringing stuff from another site here to GAF. I thought communities were supposed to be bubbles. :p

We should report this to Joystiq or GiantBomb. I read the headline
"Gawker writer Jason Schreir covers up false story by banning users"

I didn't really do the research but I heard it off hand on neogaf.

salromano

The whole situation is funny because the shops are terrible.

A good shop for online listings shouldn't require actual shopping:

LRhyr.png

A few highlights of excuses made yesterday by Schreier on a gamefaqs-spinoff message board, where he has been a regular poster since 2004:
Qi2dE.png

37uEB.png

rsW29.png

Others:

Schreier, better known on the other forum as "Prism" or "Fox1340", is taken no more seriously there than in this topic. He is a well-known and community-relevant punchline to the joke that is videogame journalism.

LueLinks?! wow, this thread has everything.

Wiz

Jason just needs to take his L and move on. He's not helping by trying to justify his actions.

I really don't visit any of those sites either. If I'm getting my news, it's from here or one of the smaller game websites. Even in some cases a few YouTube channels.

Why can't people admit mistakes WITHOUT adding some bullshit at the end excusing yourself for doing it or tossing in some insult towards their critics.

As much as I hate to admit it: no one is truly safe from this type of behavior. Not scientists, not philosophers, not critics, not writers, not layman Joe, nobody.

Some have learnt to not respond immediately and let things sinks in first though.

Top Bottom