• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game "Journalism": Major sites fooled by 4chan, Jason Schreier offers GAF apology

Acosta

Jason just needs to take his L and move on. He's not helping by trying to justify his actions.

I really don't visit any of those sites either. If I'm getting my news, it's from here or one of the smaller game websites. Even in some cases a few YouTube channels.

Yes, because in gaf there is no love for rumours and speculations.

scy

The whole thing is messed up, but I think GAF is overreacting.

I think GAF is enjoying the guy's meltdown more than anything :eek:

Meh, he came here to defend himself of doing his due diligence and that we're the ones making shit up. Without that, this really would've ended around page 2.

It's one thing that Schreier admitted to fucking up (on the LL forum), but it's another thing entirely when he did an apparant 180 and started banning people and throwing shit at different users. Is he bi-polar or what?

Foffy

Banned
It's one thing that he admitted to fucking up (on the LL forum), but it's another when he did an apparant 180 and started banning people and throwing shit at different users. Is he bi-polar or what?

He seems to have a very bad way of doing damage control.

Couldn't all of this been fine if he said "I goofed, sorry!" and not try to put the burden of proof on the internet?

Jason Schreier said:
Suikoden II, aka my favorite game of all time.

From some kotaku article today.

The man has good taste. Which personally... is all that really matters in games journalism for me these days...

Careful, now he'll try to get you banned because if there's one thing a journalist needs to smother it's free speech.

Shamefully true. Cry about how 'people have a right to know' and 'freedom of the press' one minute, then silence anyone that calls your bluff.

Gamesmedialol.

Sai-kun

Banned
Holy shit at LUElinks/GAF crossover. Weird. I suppose it's Prism's fault for always bring shit up and making so many topics about himself, but it kinda sucks that someone would post that here when LL isn't even a slightly open forum. What happens on LL...

edit: i forgot my obligatory "lmao games journalism". Because...come on. lmao. Video game journalism.

blind51de

Banned
Pretty much. lol.

It's contagious, isn't it? He's a very polarizing figure.

hahaha off site harassment

someone doesnt understand how the internet works

There have been cases on that message board which have turned very ugly. Harassment is taken very seriously there and through careful and persistent politicking you can get users punished severely.
Guys with huge egos that have carefully built up an internet persona over the course of years can't stand it when people damage them in any way they can't retort to. Schreier doesn't have my real name or occupation or what I may or may not write about, because I am not so starved for attention and gratification from strangers that I share these. Enter there the message board politicking instead of being a writer and using words. I'd rather not say anymore on the subject.

scy

From some kotaku article today.

The man has good taste. Which personally... is all that really matters in games journalism for me these days...

The way he's handled the situation is all that's really come to question. I don't have anything personal against him as ... well, a person.

But Suikoden II? This guy has good taste.

You'd think that by the time one would have a journalism degree and a paying job you'd also be an adult. This guy clearly bucks that trend.

How often does stuff like this happen? I ignore gaming "news" websites, and strictly get my info from here and a couple other forums that I trust.

Foffy

Banned
How often does stuff like this happen? I ignore gaming "news" websites, and strictly get my info from here and a couple other forums that I trust.

The rumor being false? Often.

This level of awful damage control? I think this is the first for game "journalists". The last that came to mind was the whole Ocean Marketing fiasco, and that was for a peripheral.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
lol Games Journalism. Why do people continue to go to IGN, Kotaku, Eurogamer, Giant Bomb, ... when they do little/no fact checking. :|

Okay, okay, Giant Bomb isn't as bad as the others but given it's user generated content for most stuff before Jeff and the others pick up the news...

Riggs

Banned
A few highlights of excuses made yesterday by Schreier on a gamefaqs-spinoff message board, where he has been a regular poster since 2004:
Schreier's private apology:
Qi2dE.png

Schreier responds to point related to his credibility:
37uEB.png

Schreier's reply to Wanderingwind:
rsW29.png

Others:
-Justified how he is not a complete Gawker view-whore in that he did not publish an obviously-fake set of blueprints for a "DS Lite".
-His editor has sent him a message reading, "You're one of the best reporters in the field. Anyone who doesn't see that is wrong."
-Had a user's Kotaku account banned for posting the picture from his blog, as a "personal attack". Gloated afterwards.
-Has not replied to people suggesting he make any sort of public apology (he made one to us, remember), or even laugh about the irony of the situation in related to his comments on Twitter (two completely different situations, according to him).

Schreier, better known on the other forum as "Prism" or "Fox1340", is taken no more seriously there than in this topic. He is a well-known and community-relevant punchline to the joke that is videogame journalism.

Schreier actually did used to contribute to Wired, how he went from that to Gawker is a mystery.

All these folks from verge gaming / joystiq / dtoid / kotaku seem to come up with the same bullshit when their called out. In this case, I've heard the word "plausible" way to many times for a Thursday. Jim Sterling used the same excuse as Jason, it's like they tell each other on twitter "Just say it was plausible" , "good idea ty". Plausible Deniabilityyyyy makes me think of fucking independence day.

If you want to carry that attitude of your shit don't stink, at least be able to make sure you aren't fucking up all the time. Pro tip for Dtoid and Kotaku writers.

and Schreier was banning people, where on Kotaku's comments section or???

Foffy

Banned
All these folks from verge gaming / joystiq / dtoid / kotaku seem to come up with the same bullshit when their called out. In this case, I've heard the word "plausible" way to many times for a Thursday. Jim Sterling used the same excuse as Jason, it's like they tell each other on twitter "Just say it was plausible" , "good idea ty". Plausible Deniabilityyyyy makes me think of fucking independence day.

If you want to carry that attitude of your shit don't stink, at least be able to make sure you aren't fucking up all the time. Pro tip for Dtoid and Kotaku writers.

and Schreier was banning people, where on Kotaku's comments section or???

He suspended someone for reposting the don't trust Twitter image on Kotaku, and he got someone suspended on another site for "off-site harassment".

Riggs

Banned
It's one thing that Schreier admitted to fucking up (on the LL forum), but it's another thing entirely when he did an apparant 180 and started banning people and throwing shit at different users. Is he bi-polar or what?

He suspended someone for reposting the don't trust Twitter image on Kotaku, and he got someone suspended on another site for "off-site harassment".

If these guy's were just doing this as a hobby that would be one thing. But man they are making a living off this. I could do their job and not try, with same results. Any of us could!!! Not saying anything that you guy's don't know. Just venting ....

Ok I feel better, think I am going to start my own gaming blog called realgamingjurnalizm.com

Not joking.

Foffy

Banned
If these guy's were just doing this as a hobby that would be one thing. But man they are making a living off this. I could do their job and not try, with same results. Any of us could!!! Not saying anything that you guy's don't know. Just venting ....

Ok I feel better, think I am going to start my own gaming blog called realgamingjurnalizm.com

Not joking.

Follow what this site was doing as a template and you'll be set.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing

Not joking.

I'd read it :D

Zomba13

So just wondering. I take it that the games in the pic were never on play? And that the guy and other sites just looked at the pic and were 'yep, dat's enough' ?

Because, I mean, if the games were up on play.com then there wouldn't be all this hubbub right? It was just one game that was up there, then the shop pic then sites taking the shop pic as enough for the rumour without even checking the site that the pic was supposed to be a screen cap of. Right?

blind51de

Banned
The Best Gamers is my favorite videogame journalism satire. Some of their "reviews" are actually extremely well-thought-out, but a few are just what they appear to be.
Watch the ones by "ROCKCOCK64", at least. His (second) Minecraft review is a must-watch.

Riggs

Banned
So just wondering. I take it that the games in the pic were never on play? And that the guy and other sites just looked at the pic and were 'yep, dat's enough' ?

Because, I mean, if the games were up on play.com then there wouldn't be all this hubbub right? It was just one game that was up there, then the shop pic then sites taking the shop pic as enough for the rumour without even checking the site that the pic was supposed to be a screen cap of. Right?

You got a good gut feeling about things I can tell. Would you like a job at Kotaku starting in 4 hours? (EST)

and yeah you right

scy

Monster Hunter was (and still is) up there. The rest never were.

Not joking.

There is a blog somewhere pointing out all the mistakes in Kotaku's stories.

Monster Hunter 3 for Vita was the only game that appeared in Play.com listing. Someone from 4Chan took it and added 3 more. GAF found it and started to laugh, because nobody thought for a moment those are anything else than placeholders, and there is no point in paying attention to it.

As you know GAF is the prime source of information for majority of gaming blogs out there. Someone took it, didn't read the discussion and ran with the story. Other blogs reposted it like good sheep they are.

Eurogamer was the first to run with the story I believe; ordinarily they're a pretty good source (barring a few incidents) so everyone else just trusted them.

fernoca

That's the "main problem" many had.
The games could be real. The game could be announced at any moment. Monster Hunter (Portable/Freedom Unite/whatever)3 apparently has been on the (play.com) site for months.

The main "thing" many had, was that one site got a picture of that, with no links or anything, other than "we received this image and apparently the listing were taken out", ran the story; and other sites ran the story and even speculated around just an image. Never wondering about the source of said image or even the actual quality (like the badly cropped box, the miss-aligned placement).

And as noted also, the irony is that the games could be announced/revealed at some point. Like some tomorrow on the Sony video/conference and the others through the year, and the sites might go back to this and say "guess the rumor/we were right all long"; because the 4 games chosen, has been expected, teased or hinted at some point.

Tales is already out in Japan; so the only "announcement" is a localization. GTA on Vita is expected by many, because GTA was on the PSP. MH (Portable)3 has been there for months on top of an emulated version been demoed at one of their conferences and Type-0 has been hinted at in some way or the other simply because it was never released outside of Japan.

wotta

Eurogamer was the first to run with the story I believe; ordinarily they're a pretty good source (barring a few incidents) so everyone else just trusted them.

I agree, seems most people just trusted Eurogamer.

From a personal point of view, when I saw this story, the reason I posted it was because of the link on Play.com for Monster Hunter which I had previously seen with my own eyes.

Given that as a news writer you basically have to make a split decision and the fact that I'm a big gamer (and Vita owner, so probably wanted it to be true), I took the decision to post it, although to my credit did say that it may not be true.

http://www.shoptonews.net/2012/03/0...heft-auto-city-night-monster-hunter-for-vita/

I'm not defending anyone as I believe in this case everyone was wrong, however I do think it's difficult for news writers in general. After all there is a lot of pressure to get the story first and PR's don't always answer/comment on speculation, leaving the journalist to make the judgement call.

Journalists are all big big gamers too, so its understandable given the credible original source (Eurogamer) + the link for Monster Hunter which did exist and also the excitement that these games may actually come to vita.

We do write a lot of stories every day and can't always be right, I think in general though most news writers are pretty much on the ball.

When you are wrong though you should just admit it and move on.

scy

I agree, seems most people just trusted Eurogamer.

From a personal point of view, when I saw this story, the reason I posted it was because of the link on Play.com for Monster Hunter which I had previously seen with my own eyes.

Given that as a news writer you basically have to make a split decision and the fact that I'm a big gamer (and Vita owner, so probably wanted it to be true), I took the decision to post it, although to my credit did say that it may not be true.

http://www.shoptonews.net/2012/03/0...heft-auto-city-night-monster-hunter-for-vita/

I'm not defending anyone as I believe in this case everyone was wrong, however I do think it's difficult for news writers in general. After all there is a lot of pressure to get the story first and PR's don't always answer/comment on speculation, leaving the journalist to make the judgement call.

Journalists are all big big gamers too, so its understandable given the credible original source (Eurogamer) + the link for Monster Hunter which did exist and also the excitement that these games may actually come to vita.

We do write a lot of stories every day and can't always be right, I think in general though most news writers are pretty much on the ball.

When you are wrong though you should just admit it and move on.

Although there is no proof that the other three titles where ever on Play.com, you can still see the Monster Hunter Portable 3 page on the Play.com site.

Which is the main difference between your article and every other one. All the rest started with that being proven true beyond any reasonable doubt and then went into "these games are rumored from this confirmed leak!"

fernoca

And usually, the first thing with this "leaks" is a link to said website leaking it.

Like the "Black Ops 2" debacle which resulted in the ban of that site from Activision's France events (apparently).

Aside the pictures, there was a link that directed to it originally and after the name change. And the link is still active; obviously since then it has been named Call of Duty 9. Though seeing how it is the same Amazon.fr that has Kid Icarus for the Wii U and a Rabbids game for the Wii U...with pictures of the DS game; one wonders who's in charge of said changes/updates and if they just do it based on rumors rather than information (i.e. new COD is rumored to be Black Ops 2; so lets name it Black Ops 2..oops..back to COD9).

With this ones, there were never links to the other games, as MH3 has apparently been there for months which could explain why "is the only one that is still there".

JABEE

I also love how he makes it seem like WanderingWind is the one with the problem. Maybe he should stop acting like a child and respond to what he said.

scy

It also seems that play.com removed Monster Hunter 3 from their site too.

Is no longer in the "games section" and the original link no longer works.

Confirmation of something or just a mistake guess we'll know..tomorrow or at some point.

Of the "four" titles "leaked", Monster Hunter something tomorrow wouldn't be surprising at all. Of course, if it does get revealed, this will somehow prove all the leaks were true and the GAF Collective is wrong.

Top Bottom