• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game "Journalism": Major sites fooled by 4chan, Jason Schreier offers GAF apology

ShinjukoOtaku

Neo Member
ok guys, you've had your fun. yes it was an oversight, no he didn't hadle it well but isn't it getting to a point now where you are all out attacking the poor sod.

he didn't make an apology, if he makes one now all its going to do is add fuel to the fire. seriously let it die. its old news.

mclem

Now, the games could be coming, could be announced soon; but is the way that all this was handled what was just weird to many.

I still like my "It's all a Machiavellian plan to break an embargo without breaking an embargo" theory. It's almost certainly wrong - but I can't find a flaw in the logic.

I do note that I've not found a site that's reported on this that has since edited the report to say that it's fake. Several have said that there are *suggestions* that it is fake, but that's not quite the same thing.

mclem

And also by the way, I can guarantee that nobody here hammering about the quality of fact-checking actually reached out to any one of these websites with an email asking for a retraction or confirmation update.

I tweeted Wesley Yin-Poole (the Eurogamer guy) and got a response very early on.

Jackpot

Banned
Patrick Klepick is one. There are a couple of others. Not many. Kotaku is a joke though and this guy is an immature fuck, which sadly is VERY common for the gaming industry. Man up, say you screwed up and move on or better yet, DO YOUR JOB. The problem is they are so desperate to publish the news first they don't wait to confirm it. People like Schreier and Kotaku in general are no higher in quality than gossip magazines that shit out any old rumour to sell their trash.

Didn't Klepick defend the guy who said game journalists shouldn't have to finish the games they review and insulted several other posters?

Jeff DSA said:
If you want to be pissed about anything, be pissed that somebody with nothing better to do than to dupe a news outlet was successful.

wat. What site do you work for so that I can avoid it?

Also you seem to skip over his twitter post decrying people who did exactly what he just did and banning users over it. Or when he asked GAF to investigate his sources for him.

mclem

So I gather that a reason that many sites published this was because it sounded 'plausible' given that there was a Vita conference due at the end of this week.

Whoops.

jett

D-Member
And this people is why it's ok to admit you fucked up and just leave it at that. Too late for that now LOL. Luckily for this guy I doubt most people will remember his name in a week.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
ok guys, you've had your fun. yes it was an oversight, no he didn't hadle it well but isn't it getting to a point now where you are all out attacking the poor sod.

he didn't make an apology, if he makes one now all its going to do is add fuel to the fire. seriously let it die. its old news.

"And I'll look down and whisper... no."

Didn't hurt Phil Fish in my eyes, wouldn't hurt here either. It is never too late to apologize.

mclem

In regards to the pic in the OP: I like this wretched pit of scum.

The bit that bothers me the most about that is that if you're *going* to have "wretched" and "scum" in the same sentence, and *don't* call it a "wretched hive of scum and villainy", there's something wrong with you.

fernoca

And Eurogamer got official response from play.com:

Play.com has contacted Eurogamer to confirm that the image that formed the basis of this report is in fact fake.

The listing for Monster Hunter Portable 3, however, was genuine, but has been removed at the request of publisher Capcom.

A statement issued to Eurogamer this morning read: "Play.com would like to clarify details of yesterday's alleged leak of four new Vita titles. Unfortunately, the screenshots with references to Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Nights, Tales Of Innocence R and Final Fantasy Type-0 HD, posted on a games forum were not genuine Play.com pages and were fabricated.

"The product page and listing for Monster Hunter Portable 3 is genuine and has been live on Play.com since January. Following advice from Capcom and to avoid further confusion in the gaming community we have removed the Monster Hunter Portable 3 page."

We would like to clarify that the other three titles have never appeared on Play.com. We would like to assure customers and gaming fans that, while we make every effort to make all new games available on pre-order as soon as possible, we are committed to ensuring that we deliver these products within the mutually agreed timelines confirmed with our publishing partners. We understand the dedication of the gaming community and hope this clears up any misunderstanding that this fabricated post may have caused.​

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
This could have been easily prevented. Guy apologizes.

Instead he bans people...

bjork

The bit that bothers me the most about that is that if you're *going* to have "wretched" and "scum" in the same sentence, and *don't* call it a "wretched hive of scum and villainy", there's something wrong with you.

You'd have to take that up with that guy, he's the one lacking proper use of pop culture references.

scy

And Eurogamer got official response from play.com:

Play.com has contacted Eurogamer to confirm that the image that formed the basis of this report is in fact fake.

The listing for Monster Hunter Portable 3, however, was genuine, but has been removed at the request of publisher Capcom.

A statement issued to Eurogamer this morning read: "Play.com would like to clarify details of yesterday's alleged leak of four new Vita titles. Unfortunately, the screenshots with references to Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Nights, Tales Of Innocence R and Final Fantasy Type-0 HD, posted on a games forum were not genuine Play.com pages and were fabricated.

"The product page and listing for Monster Hunter Portable 3 is genuine and has been live on Play.com since January. Following advice from Capcom and to avoid further confusion in the gaming community we have removed the Monster Hunter Portable 3 page."

We would like to clarify that the other three titles have never appeared on Play.com. We would like to assure customers and gaming fans that, while we make every effort to make all new games available on pre-order as soon as possible, we are committed to ensuring that we deliver these products within the mutually agreed timelines confirmed with our publishing partners. We understand the dedication of the gaming community and hope this clears up any misunderstanding that this fabricated post may have caused.​

Still need some proof that they were fakes. I've yet to see any.

So ... since the Monster Hunter one was pulled, does this mean the dream is dead?

Azih

Dude screwed up. Everyone screws up.

Not everyone gets highly defensive and starts acting like a jerk about it.

jschreier

Hi everyone,

I’ve updated the story and run a new item on Kotaku clarifying that the original image was fake. I regret falling for that one, which is thankfully not something that’s happened to me many times with the thousands of stories I’ve reported. I’ve always welcomed criticism but apologize for some of my tone in addressing critics. I do not and have not mass-banned people for criticizing the piece. But I have been casual enough about the criticism here that it’s allowed some to think that I don’t value accuracy and reader feedback. I do.

For my part in making this situation uglier and about something other than the accuracy of one report, I’m sorry. I’m sure you can imagine it’s no fun to have your reputation dragged through the mud and have even conversations you thought were private brought into the public domain.

I hope that this one unfortunate incident won't mar all of the work I have been doing and will continue to do at Kotaku, and I invite you all to e-mail me if you have further thoughts, concerns, or critiques.

-Jason

Hi everyone,

I’ve updated the story and run a new item on Kotaku clarifying that the original image was fake. I regret falling for that one, which is thankfully not something that’s happened to me many times with the thousands of stories I’ve reported. I’ve always welcomed criticism but apologize for some of my tone in addressing critics. I do not and have not mass-banned people for criticizing the piece. But I have been casual enough about the criticism here that it’s allowed some to think that I don’t value accuracy and reader feedback. I do.

For my part in making this situation uglier and about something other than the accuracy of one report, I’m sorry. I’m sure you can imagine it’s no fun to have your reputation dragged through the mud and have even conversations you thought were private brought into the public domain.

I hope that this one unfortunate incident won't mar all of the work I have been doing and will continue to do at Kotaku, and I invite you all to e-mail me if you have further thoughts, concerns, or critiques.

-Jason

Thank you. I think this is all that most people wanted.

Hi everyone,

-Jason

Tell Frank Anderson that his opinion of GAF is wrong.

Hi everyone,

-Jason

Was it difficult?, you see we all make mistakes, and admitting our mistakes and apologizing for them don't make you less of man, on the contrary it makes you look like a professional.

Apologies accepted, good for you and carry on!

Hi everyone,

-Jason
highhhhh fiiiiiiiiveeeeeeee

scy

How about Play.com telling you they were fakes? Sounds good enough?

Continuing with this joke seems petty now that he's posted again.
It was also a terrible one I shouldn't have even tried

Hi everyone,

-Jason

To be fair, the amount of "fuck you guys" you'd have had if they were announced would have been tremendous. The "mistake" itself is minor and just kind of funny in the grand scheme of things and things snowballed for no real good reason and I really do hope nothing comes back to you due to "falling" for it outside of some "hey, remember that Play.com leak? Man, fuck the guy who made that image" nostalgia.

Also, I hope we get upgraded to a cancerous blight on the Internet. If you get in touch with Mr. Anderson, I do hope this issue gets corrected for future GAF-related scandals.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Hi everyone,

-Jason

Thanks for the update. In all honesty, I really hope you decide to stick around the GAF community. As others have said, you're likely a totally decent person IRL, and coming back and opening yourself up to more criticism shows that you're at least willing to attempt to make things right. Of course, I don't think you'll get much further grief. The issue is put to bed, really.

As a general rule, the site is very industry friendly (re: reactions to Snowblind, BHG, 1UP, etc) , and I think interaction between writers, developers and fans is an important part of the future growth of the industry. I'd really like to see more of a community aspect fostered at our level than less.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Hi everyone,

-Jason

Sounds reasonable to me.

Jackpot

Banned
Hi everyone,

-Jason

What about the people you got banned?

Anteater

Thanks for the update. In all honesty, I really hope you decide to stick around the GAF community.

Yep, I think at least he was being pretty honest on how he dealt with the situation and he was really serious about his work. Seems like a pretty cool guy to me.

Don't let people get to you.

blind51de

Banned
NIMh4.jpg

And that's why you check your primary sources.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Still need some proof that they were fakes. I've yet to see any.

So ... since the Monster Hunter one was pulled, does this mean the dream is dead?

Or maybe Capcom wanted to break the news gently to Nintendo that the dream is over. ;)

We can only hope a Vita version is on its way
!

Hi everyone,

-Jason

Much better.
Now was can go back to the original topic of this thread;
4509975_f260.jpg

Be wary game journalists of the malice of this poultry poltergeist.

Hope you stick around NeoGaf, we love/hate everything.

EXGN

While I think Jason was wrong to get so defensive/antagonistic, he was in a tough position. It's difficult to "prove" these listings because the publishers will just ignore, say "no comment" or deny them even if they're true. If he didn't post it and it was true, then he would have failed to do his job by not reporting it. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

GAF needs to chill the eff out.

Azar

As a general rule, the site is very industry friendly (re: reactions to Snowblind, BHG, 1UP, etc) , and I think interaction between writers, developers and fans is an important part of the future growth of the industry. I'd really like to see more of a community aspect fostered at our level than less.
This and the reaction to Phil Fish's comment about Japanese games has made me think the opposite recently. There's a pile-on mob mentality that gets real vicious real quick over small issues. It's a firestorm of hate that blows something out of proportion and no one but the target will remember it after a week. Valid criticism is usually overrun by hundreds of other people chiming in just to talk shit, which is pretty ugly, in my opinion.

Top Bottom