• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game mode on TVs: reduces input lag, worsens picture quality

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
How is picture quality lowered when the image that's shown is what the developers wanted it to look like? Turning off all the useless tv features that fuck about with the image is a good thing.

game mode adds post-processing, at least in older HDTVs, from my experience. PC mode is the one that takes away that stuff and gives you a pixel accurate representation.

The mode with the least input delay is the one with the least post-processing.

shakey

Neo Member
Sometimes you also lose the ability to fine-tune stuff like 10/20-point greyscale values so you won't get a 100% accurate calibration, but for the most part game mode should be able to get pretty close to reference. Assuming you don't have a really crappy TV of course.

You shouldn't even be messign with the 10/20 point greyscale unless you have professional tools to measure the light coming off of the TV and your ambient room light. All of that should be left to the professionals.

Even someone else's settings from the same TV won't properly translate over to yours. It's really best to just leave those values default until you hire someone to do it correctly. It's not something you can just "eye" out.

My old (2010) TV did this. If I used game mode the image became grey and washed out and I couldn't change the settings. Wasn't worth the reduced input lag. Now I play on my PC monitor.

Mines a monstrous quality drop. But I honestly thought all TVs did that. Until I read this thread.

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, by default most game modes have the sharpness, contrast, color, etc cranked way up by default. When you manually bring these values back down to normal, it should look close to your default movie-watching modes.

Glix

Except Game Mode is what disables TruMotion and shit like that (that you can't normally disable)

Right. I guess my weird stream of thought typing was confusing.

I was basically saying that none of that shit should exist in the first place so Game Mode shouldn't be necessary.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
My tv has a 45ms input lag outside of game mode and honestly, I don't notice it. I don't use the game mode on my TV at all.

sirap

It's only a problem with older monitors and tvs. My old 2408wfp Ultrasharp had insane input lag and turning game mode on introduced a greenish tint to dark values.

I notice that in game mode there are a lot of features you can't use anymore, like smooth motion and such, but like others have said those are often the things causing input lag to begin with.

I'm still on a 1080p set for now though until there are some REALLY good 4K TVs with input lag as low as a lot of the 1080p champs. And at a reasonable price too.

ss_lemonade

I see no drop in image quality with my w900a. I just got a Samsung ks9000 yesterday and so far, things looks good there too.

You shouldn't even be messign with the 10/20 point greyscale unless you have professional tools to measure the light coming off of the TV and your ambient room light. All of that should be left to the professionals.

Even someone else's settings from the same TV won't properly translate over to yours. It's really best to just leave those values default until you hire someone to do it correctly. It's not something you can just "eye" out.

That should go without saying! Then again this is GAF, home of the cool color temp defenders.

My old Samsung looked like crap on game mode. It was like a neon blue filtered sports mode and most of the settings were inaccessible

brawly

I have a Sony TV. All the modes have the same options for each mode, they just have different values out the box. For example, I could create a duplicate of the "movie mode" with the "game mode" and vice versa.

MrBS

I disable all the post process BS on my TVs regardless so when it comes to game mode I see very little if any difference.

MDave

Since everything is delivered through digital connections these years, I don't see a point to any post processing in TV's anymore. No matter if its TV, Blu-ray films. games etc. Digital media should be delivered as it comes, unaltered, and thus as fast as possible. Bit for bit, pixel for pixel.

Post processing on digital content makes it look worse.

Is there any analog devices still used widespread that need the picture to be post processed these days?

Will TV manufacturers ever get rid of it? It will save them some money hah.

Game mode turns off all the extra processing crap on TV's, so it actually gives a more pure picture.

I guess some people just like the look of stuff like motionflow but if calibrated correctly, with all the crap turned off, game mode should look no different when its turned on.

mattp

this is only if the post processing is making something "better"

Post process varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. Therefore, content is not made with a particular post process standard in mind.

So it is just adding things that are not meant to be there.

Game mode turns off all the extra processing crap on TV's, so it actually gives a more pure picture.

I guess some people just like the look of stuff like motionflow but if calibrated correctly, with all the crap turned off, game mode should look no different when its turned on.

not true ^

For many years, knowing gamers would be bothered by bad input lag, companies started adding a Game mode that would reduce input lag and allow your in-game performance to be tied closer to your personal skills and reflexes (for better or worse).

However, Game mode isn't magic, nor does it simply overclock the processors and jack up the performance. Instead, it starts taking things out. Color processing, noise reduction, advanced scaling, all of these aspects and more get thrown out or greatly reduced. As such, the image gets a lot worse. Scaling artifacts are much more likely. Color accuracy and even potentially color temperature tracking, all suffer. The image can get noisier as well. What specifically gets tossed varies per company, but the end result is the same: less input lag, worse image.

One of the most common offenders of bad input lag is high frame rate LCDs (120 and 240Hz). The processing needed to fill these higher frame rates is intensive, and one of the first things to go in Game mode. However, ditching these higher frame rates means motion blur is greatly increased, so everything that moves, or if your avatar looks around, the image blurs. This can be almost as bad as the input lag in as much as it prevents you from accurately seeing your enemies.

Might wanna include a link so we can see what your source is and how recently that was written. I've seen nothing in reviews of modern TVs that mention a significant reduction in picture quality while using game mode.

It also talks like 120 and 240 make a damn difference. Kinda suspicious.

I gotta say though, the one thing that really took a hit on my J5200 that I just set up today was sound quality. It became reeeally weird without it (but I got used to it fast enough)

4 years is... quite a long time

MDave

https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-game-mode/

it's from cnet

point is, any number of things can be disabled or reduced on your tv, in order to speed up the processing(and thus lower latency)
it's not as simple as "well the tv was processing stuff extra stuff anyway, so now the picture is more pure"

I wouldn't take that for granted. He presents no scientific evidence, nigh any evidence of what he wrote.

Game mode is basically turning the TV into a PC monitor, as they don't have any post processing.

Game mode shouldn't be needed.

The shit that makes the input lag also makes whatever you are watching look like shit.

These companies only care if it is a "marketable feature" and public is... ill-informed about what is good and what is bad when it comes to their picture.

I will never, ever, ever forget the kid and and his dad when i was in college (early/mid 2000's) The kid was playing metroid on their 16:9 HDTV (very new tech at the time) STRETCHED. I told the kid, that it looked all wrong and we should change the pic setting and the dad overheard and freaked out. literally freaked the fuck out.

I PAID FOR THE WHOLE THING YOU ARE GOING TO USE THE WHOLE THING.

Years ago my brother-in-law got a widescreen TV when that wasn't a super common thing. And he would always watch 4:3 content in wide screen. I complained about it all the time, and would always change the TV to the proper aspect ratio when I was playing a game on it or something. Some time later I got a 16:9 monitor to play PS3 games on and he's all, "I thought you didn't like wide screen?"

It's, like...no, dude. That's not what it was at all.

He still buys into a lot of the TV marketing nonsense and I just smile and nod when explains his well-researched reasons for buying the TVs he does.

Hoo-doo

Banned
It doesn't do shit with the picture quality, it just kills all the postprocessing. (which in 95% of cases looks like garbage anyway)

Just calibrate your screen correctly and game mode will display your games to their full potential without any hit to IQ. Unless you actually think that the generic '2000Hz MotionFlow' postprocessing is actually a positive thing, but then you'd still be wrong.

mattp

It doesn't do shit with the picture quality, it just kills all the postprocessing. (which in 95% of cases looks like garbage anyway)

Just calibrate your screen correctly and game mode will display your games to their full potential without any hit to IQ. Unless you actually think that the generic '2000Hz MotionFlow' postprocessing is actually a positive thing, but then you'd still be wrong.

most of the time you can't calibrate your display as well in game mode
because of the extra processing that gets turned off. it's not just stuff like motionflow interpolation

i give up
you guys believe what you want

Mossybrew

I have a 2015 model Sony 4K set. The game setting does look significantly worse, color is just off and washed-out. I just use the regular mode, games look way better. There's probably increased input lag but I don't notice at all if there is.

dose

most of the time you can't calibrate your display as well in game mode
because of the extra processing that gets turned off. it's not just stuff like motionflow interpolation
Colour processing and noise reduction are not needed whatsoever. Why would colour need to be processed? Just showing the original colours is Ideal. Noise reduction on a game that will have no noise in the first place? No thanks. A poor quality TV image/signal maybe, but not a videogame image.

Just got an 800D and game mode looks great. I actually prefer it to the other presets I've looked at. Then again, I've been playing my console games on computer monitors for years, so I've grown accustomed to that kind of no-nonsense presentation.

Grassy

Game Mode looks great on my Sony W900A after a bit of tweaking.

I turn off most of the post-processing shit on the other Modes as well for when I watch sport or movies.

Dunkley

Honestly for me anything that isn't PC mode is a drop in image quality.

My TV only has a sharpening filter which can look pretty ugly, so I play all my consoles in PC mode.

That should go without saying! Then again this is GAF, home of the cool color temp defenders.

To each their own. I personally prefer warm but I mean the great thing about configuring TVs is that you can configure them to look great to you.

My dad has some black crush on his TV which would be a sin to commit on mine but hey I can dig people wanting to have a picture that looks good to them even if I am rather someone who wants a picture to look as closely as the author intended it.

Mercador

Game mode on TVs are a nice feature. Minimizing input lag so that games are more response. But on most TVs, there is a trade-off at the cost of picture quality. How do you guys feel about this? How bad is the trade-off on your TV? What games do you notice it in the most?
My tv got this as Well, but it's an old lcd tv back from 2009. The game mode is at 120hz, it said it goes at 4ms (I have doubt on that) but the picture quality is not good at all. Used it two Times.

It disables post processing. If you like the way the post processing looks, then yeah it'll look "worse". Lots of people just turn off postprocessing anyway, so it doesn't make much of a difference.

I just leave my TV in eco mode. Input lag is good enough that I don't have to use game mode.

I've never seen what my TV looks like on any mode other than Game Mode, except for broadcast television (I don't think I can choose a mode for that input). But I love the picture, so I'm good.

The way I see it, all that post-processing is meant to "fix" issues that the output from my game consoles shouldn't have in the first place. Like, if a PS4 is producing an image that needs post-processing on the TV to look good, that's got to be one hell of a crappy TV.

I've always assumed it's cable/satellite TV pictures that are meant to benefit from modern post-processing.

thisisamul

Neo Member
One thing people might mistake for a "drop" in image quality mode - when I first enabled game mode on my JS8500 I did notice a difference in picture quality. However, it turns out that enabling game mode the first time lowered contrast, backlight, and a few other settings. Once changing it to match settings prior to enabling game mode, the picture pretty much looked exactly the same.

And to echo other points - the post processing stuff is really only needed for lower quality sources such as cable, Netflix, Amazon, etc. where the source is heavily compressed.

For consoles, all post processing off should be standard.

Harp

in Higher quality TVs, for example, Samsung 8000 series and Higher and sony Triluminus Displays picture quality is basically unaffected.

But what s funny is that below 100 ms was great, now anything over 50 is horrible.

Evo X

One thing I hate about my LG C6 OLED is that turning on game mode inexplicably locks the color gamut to wide. Even after calibration, they don't look right like they do in ISF mode.

What's strange is that you can use normal color gamut in the newly patched HDR Game Mode.

Top Bottom