• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of *Some Other* Year 2011

thefil

Quick rules for tl;dr folks: What are the best games you played for the first time in 2011 that came out before 2011? 1-10 answers.

Hey GAF. I've been very excited to make this topic all year, as this is a year in which I took my gaming in a different direction. Thanks primarily to Steam, I've been playing more games that came out before 2011 than new releases. As a result, I've found a lot of great experiences that I overlooked before that are not only fun games, but available at low cost too. In the interest of sharing the gift of cheap, amazing games, I was hoping people would be interested in a thread for sharing the best pre-2011 games we experienced for the first time in 2011.

My picks:

5) AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! – A Reckless Disregard for Gravity
While ultimately it's pretty much just dodging things at high speeds, the level design is fun, the ARG and Steam-sale integration funner, and the sense of humour right up my alley. I had way more fun with this than I ever expected when I picked it up for almost nothing on a Steam sale.

4) Zeno Clash
While most people seem to focus on the novel first person melee combat, I think where Zeno Clash shines is in its storytelling. It leaves you in the dark, with little more than the mystic imagery and shrouded dialog to guide you towards your conclusions. The trip along
the river with the King
was one of the most beautiful things I've seen in gaming, not only because of its graphical fidelity but also because of art design that is unlike anything in the industry.

3) VVVVVV
I feel like little has to be said for one of the greatest 2D platformers of the 2000's. If you haven't played this, you must.

2) Demon's Souls
In 2005, Oblivion got a pass for having bad melee combat because it wasn't clear it could be done well. Thanks to this game, we now know differently (and can bash on Skyrim). Demon's souls, like Zeno Clash, introduced both novel and interesting combat and an art style and environment that forcefully suck you in.

1) Deus Ex
One of the great first person RPGs of the decade, it certainly makes you wonder where things went wrong. Up in a pantheon of games including the likes of Morrowind, Deus Ex presents exactly the right amount of information (and exactly the right lack of handholding) that distinguishes it from its newer iteration. Even if you've played Human Revolution, I encourage you to go back to the original. With more to find, more interesting environments, a better story and a greater willingness to let you solve your own problems, Deus Ex is indisputably my GO*SO*Y 2011.

Davidion

Assassin's Creed 2. Say what you want about Ubisoft but this is the mother of recent gaming sequels, taking what was essentially a dolled up proof concept of a first game and really carving a great meaty follow-up out of it and made sure the franchise has substance.

co-sign on VVVVVV. Of the reemergence of 2D platformers, it might be my favorite, or at least better than most. The music certainly trounces everything else.

Ys Oath of Felghana on PSP is the other I can think of

oh, Aztaka (PC game/steam) was great. Mix of Metroid/Castlevania with some ARPGs like Diablo.

Game Dev Story (iPhone) is so goddamn addictive I'm literally afraid to play it. Yesterday I thought "I'll take a break from work, make a new game, and get back to it." an hour and a half later I'm yelling "7 out of 10? well fuck you too, reviewer 3!"

Carbonox

Mass Effect 2 PS3. This version did come out this year but in all technicalities, Mass Effect 2 came out last year.

That's my number 1. My favourite game of the generation.

Assassin's Creed II is my number 2. One of my favourite games of the generation. Such an insane jump from the first.

Red Dead Redemption and Tales of Vesperia (PS3) are the only non-2011 games I played this year. Mass Effect 2 (PS3) if that counts.

Mass Effect 2 (PS3). Only game that came out in a different year that I got this year. I also got MW2 this year, but I played it with my friends earlier, so yeah.

Tntnnbltn

Rock Band 3 for me.

Nice package, good hardware, fantastic catalogue (especially entering the franchise at this point).

g4fnM.jpg

thefil

There's a pretty big overlap between this thread and this one from a month ago:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=451152

I might merge that one and this one and just adjust the title.

I agree that there's some overlap, but I worry that if you do that I'll just see either:
a) all games from 2010
b) a GOTF thread, since people will list their favourite game without "played for the first time" rule.

But do as you see fit.

rCIZZLE

Only 3 games from last year I remember purchasing.

3. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
Just picked that up a couple weeks ago and beat it in a couple days. The story was as good as the AC2 and the online was surprisingly fun, even if unbalanced for newcomers.

2. Motorstorm: Pacific Rift
I really don't know why it took me over a year of having my ps3 to purchase this game. Always found offroad racers fun and this is the biggest one this generation. Soundtrack was great, controls were great, and online was fun and challenging.

1. Disgaea 3
First time trying out these series and I absolutely loved it. Probably the best strategy rpg I've ever played. Didn't like the story but the gameplay way more than made up for it.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
1) Mirror's Edge

2) Chrono Trigger

3) Muramasa: The Demon Blade

4) Brütal Legend

5) Borderlands

6) Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Nert

I probably spent more time playing old games this year than new releases. Half Life 2 (and its episodes) and Resident Evil 4 were both outstanding, and I'm glad that I finally got around to playing them. I'm generally not someone that likes shooters, but they had excellent pacing and level design (and in Half Life 2's case, characters that were actually interesting). They also benefit greatly from having fleshed out settings that aren't "unnamed middle eastern country" or "space." Viewtiful Joe, The Witcher, Bit.Trip Runner, Chrono Trigger (DS), and Trine were all fun as well.

Zhaanie

Banned
Hmm.. probably Persona 3: FES.

Lovely game, but I regret not playing it before Persona 4. It took quite a while getting used to some of the gameplay mechanics that were improved in the latter. Still, one of the best games I've played in many years. <3

Mr. Sam

Mass Effect 2. I even played the 360 version so there's none of that "Well, technically, it still came out in 2011" bullshit. I know some have criticised it for becoming - or taking on too many characteristics of - a 'generic dudebro shooter' but I really enjoyed it. I think I might have enjoyed it more than others because I came at it from the opposite end to them; they're used to playing nuanced RPGs and I'm used to generic dudebro shooters. Me, I thought it was a happy compromise.

Easily Persona 4.

It had an incredible cast of characters, wonderful sense of humor, great presentation, an interesting premise/story, and was just an absolute pleasure to play. I can't wait to go on my second playthrough.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I want to meet the person who loved both of those games for the same reason.
I like being a bad ass mf who shoots people in the face!

That's Vanquish and Crysis :D

Metro 2033 - I just love the different perspective in an FPS. Many say that product, whether be art, music, games, etc. often reflects the culture in which it was made. Metro is one such game.

Mirrors Edge - It was strange that I was often reminded of Portal while playing ME. And it is one of the most aesthetically beautiful games out there. A sequel would probably go on to win GOTY if Dice can improve all the shortcomings.

5. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - This game added to the refined formula of AC2 in some really interesting ways, plus it has the coolest setting out of any of the first 3 games.

4. Singularity - An underrated gem of a shooter, Singulariy combined the gunplay of Call of Duty with the atmosphere of Bioshock. It isn't necessarily the best in terms of production values or graphics but it makes up for that with fun and interesting gameplay ideas that are original and refreshing for the genre.

3. Donkey Kong '94 - 8 hours of platforming excellence, DK '94 was simply a blast. I loved the miniature, bite-sized levels and the vast array of mechanics on display.

2. Final Fantasy IV DS - I'm not sure why I decided to fire this bad boy back up this year (I've owned it since launch), but I'm sure glad I did. Great characters, an interesting story, and classic FF gameplay made this one a real treat. I had no idea what I was missing!

1. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Lacks the production values and pure polish of a game like God of War III but makes up for it with interesting combat, incredible art-direction, and lots of environmental variety. This is one of my favorite games of the entire generation.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I want to meet the person who loved both of those games for the same reason.

Hahaha. I more meant that as a qualifyer for not being able to choose between them.

I also forgot I Castlevania: Lords of Shadow this year. After the first couple chapters it quickly becomes an absolutely fantastic game. Gorgeous scenery and art design and some really cool bosses.

Damn, I honetsly can't think if any, but I'm sure I have a few.

I keep a list of all the Steam games I complete, so I'll need to check that.

I did just finish Limbo on the PC and I really enjoyed my time with it. Could have ramped up the puzzle difficulty faster, but I still had fun. Fantastic artstyle as well.

Penguin

Sonic Colors- Got to love picking it up for less than 20 bucks 2 months into the year. A really rock solid Sonic game with amazing music.

Enslaved- For the life of me, not sure why this gets criticized a lot more than Uncharted when they have a similar pacing/story telling style. Fun game, some tedious moments near the end, and giant cliffhanger, but fun for what it was.

Peru

Monster Hunter Tri

Been sucked into this universe like a mofo, everything about it, from the gorgeous monster designs and the idea of going out to hunt these big things, to the core mechanics of battle appeal to me.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Hmmm I'm trying to think of games I bought this year that are old. All I can think of is StarCraft 2. Have had 0-little RTS experience (Halo Wars campaign, 3 missions of CoH). The learning curve was super high and being in bronze league on the cusp of Silver I still have a lot to learn but damn this game is fun. Seeing that Victory screen is very rewarding. There's so much going on and it's awesome when you're building a ton of shit, expanding and fighting on the map at the same time. My 20 apm can barely keep up lol.

Mupod

I played The Witcher back around when it first came out, but it was an unbelievable buggy mess with absurd loadtimes and constant crashes on vista so I basically gave up immediately. I finally got around to playing Enhanced Edition this summer and it was awesome. Such a huge difference from launch. My only problem with it was that it seemed like I spent way too much time running back and forth across fields/cities. Regardless I played it nonstop from beginning to end, although I still haven't managed to get around to finishing the sequel. I bought it shortly after finishing TW1 but decided to save it for the new computer I was planning, and I've long since built that, but I've been swamped with other games since then.

As for games I ACTUALLY played for the first time this year: Assassin's Creed 2. I played AC1 about the same time I did TW1, but I lasted maybe 2 hours before giving up on it. Went back and finished it about a month or so ago, it was ok but my main reason for doing so was that I wanted to try the sequel. I'm not the type to skip a game in a story-based series, so I had to get it out of the way. And I'm glad I did. AC2 is just such a ridiculous improvement over the first, the only problem is that playing two of those games in a row was too much for me and I'm gonna wait a while before getting the next two.

Gambit

1) 999
I ordered it last year to an American friend's house and he only brought it over with him this year. It was well worth the wait!

2) Dragon Quest IX
The first Dragon Quest I've ever finished. I really enjoyed it, although I was sceptical of the character creation and the series in general. (VII burned me out). Now I am looking forward to getting IV and V on Wednesday!

3) Super Mario Galaxy 2
I've only just started it, so it's not higher up yet. It might still climb in my estimation. It really is a lot of fun.

Currecntly I am playing Final Fantasy XIII for the first time, but I am not anticipating it entering my GOTY list.

Apdiddy

Mine are:

1) Demon's Souls - my pick, even though I haven't done NG+ nor
actually beaten King Allant yet

2) Bayonetta - Yes, the story doesn't make any sense and I don't fully understand the game.
But that last battle on a giant statue with Jeanne is so good.

3) Darksiders - Hated the ending but loved the whole game. I guess I need to play through Dual Hearts and Okami if I want more "3D Zelda" clones.

4) Singularity - I loved this game very much even though no one else does apparently and Activision doesn't either. Raven gets to work on COD map packs, not Singularity II. Argh.

5) Kirby's Epic Yarn - What's not to love about this? This game is adorable and like a Saturday morning cartoon. It has "Mega Man 9 Effect" throughout the whole game.

6) Kirby Canvas Curse - This game still holds up today and it is utterly amazing.

7) Uncharted 2 Among Thieves - Finally got a chance to beat this and I loved it.
The last section of the game was bad though.

8) Disney's Aladdin - This game also holds up today and there needs to be a HD remake or iOS version.

9) Super Mario 64 - I loved this a lot too actually and had a blast playing it. Except for "Slide Theme" which should be outlawed by the Geneva Convention. Until this year, I never actually played this. Weird I know.

10) Castlevania: Rondo of Blood - Played this on the Virtual Console and enjoyed it. Now I can play Castlevania: SOTN!

11) (tie) Enslaved & Dante's Inferno - Two games that get unfairly maligned for being not very good or polished. Enslaved is Uncharted for those who friggin' love Uncharted and Dante's Inferno is more God of War.

Sydle

I played Uncharted 2 earlier this year and loved it. Not only my game of the year but of the whole generation. Unfortunately U3 left a lot to be desired, wouldn't put it on a top ten of anything.

Top Bottom