• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones composer writing 'Gears of War 4' score

Volotaire

Here's a snippet from the article.

Emmy- and Grammy-nominated Ramin Djawadi has crafted the score for "Gears of War 4," the forthcoming fifth installment in the intergalactic shooter series for Xbox One and PC. The prolific film and TV composer says he put his own spin on the game's soundtrack while remaining faithful to the nearly decade-old "Gears" series.

"Obviously, I wanted to make it very different from 'Game of Thrones,'" said Djawadi. "Whenever I approach a new project, I want to make sure I'm setting up a new sound - even through we're still using a lot of orchestra and percussion."

Djawadi described the score, which was recorded at Sony Pictures Studios, as emotional and orchestral with synth elements. He said the music will also feature a few unique acoustic instruments he's collected in his travels.

hydruxo

pWQI1OJ.jpg

In all seriousness that's pretty exciting. I'm looking forward to hearing it since his work on GoT is fantastic.

Ramin Djawadi is pretty awesome. I also like the Pacific Rim and Warcraft scores.

EDIT: Just found out he is doing Westworld too, that will be interesting.

Monocle

SEEMS LIKE A STRANGE MATCH. I DON'T KNOW, I JUST DON'T THINK GEARS OF WAR VIBES WITH ANYTHING I'VE HEARD IN GAME OF THRONES.

ALSO, TO BE HONEST, GOT'S SCORE ONLY REALLY STANDS OUT IN THE TITLE SEQUENCE AND SEASON FINALES.

xam3l

I like Ramin Djawadi but he's overrated as fuck becuse of GoT (Which is not even a outstanding score, only for a few tracks), even Pacific Rim has a better score a unique themes.

Jablonsky established the tone and theme of the series, I'm quite disappointed with this change. :\

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I like Ramin Djawadi but he's overrated as fuck becuse of GoT (Which is not even a outstanding score, only for a few tracks), even Pacific Rim has a better score a unique themes.

Jablonsky established the tone and theme of the series, I'm quite disappointed with this change. :
He did compose probably the best peice of music out of a tv show this year. Intro for Episode 10 is just simply a masterpiece

dugdug

Banned
I like that GoT song and all but it couldn't be further from what the previous Gears soundtracks have established.

He's clearly talented though, so, hope it's good.

Leks

I liked Steve Jablonsky's work in the first trilogy, I expected him to return.

Is this the first video game score for Ramin Djawadi? He's currently one of the best composer for TV shows, mainly because of Person of Interest.

Kilau

Gold Member
Here's a snippet from the article.

EMMY- AND GRAMMY-NOMINATED RAMIN DJAWADI HAS CRAFTED THE SCORE FOR "GEARS OF WAR 4," THE FORTHCOMING FIFTH INSTALLMENT IN THE INTERGALACTIC SHOOTER SERIES FOR XBOX ONE AND PC. THE PROLIFIC FILM AND TV COMPOSER SAYS HE PUT HIS OWN SPIN ON THE GAME'S SOUNDTRACK WHILE REMAINING FAITHFUL TO THE NEARLY DECADE-OLD "GEARS" SERIES.

"OBVIOUSLY, I WANTED TO MAKE IT VERY DIFFERENT FROM 'GAME OF THRONES,'" SAID DJAWADI. "WHENEVER I APPROACH A NEW PROJECT, I WANT TO MAKE SURE I'M SETTING UP A NEW SOUND - EVEN THROUGH WE'RE STILL USING A LOT OF ORCHESTRA AND PERCUSSION."

DJAWADI DESCRIBED THE SCORE, WHICH WAS RECORDED AT SONY PICTURES STUDIOS, AS EMOTIONAL AND ORCHESTRAL WITH SYNTH ELEMENTS. HE SAID THE MUSIC WILL ALSO FEATURE A FEW UNIQUE ACOUSTIC INSTRUMENTS HE'S COLLECTED IN HIS TRAVELS.

FIXED

Brofield

THIS IS PRETTY GREAT NEWS. I REALLY LIKED HIS WORK ESPECIALLY IN THE LAST SEASON OF GAME OF THRONES

Thanks for the laugh, GAF. Never change <4

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I like that GoT song and all but it couldn't be further from what the previous Gears soundtracks have established.

He's clearly talented though, so, hope it's good.

Good composers are trained in writing different styles of music. I assume he listened to previous Gears titles for inspiration.

Top Bottom