• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones' incredible "Loot Train Attack" scene (SPOILERS for last week's ep)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This scene was from an episode from the middle of the season. I just think what we'd get when they fight the white walkers. They will be more formidable. Just imagine what beasts or monsters they have to counter dragons. And we'll jest how this episode was barely an appetizer.

LIke everything else about Game of Thrones post books...

amazing visually, narratively dead.

You have Bronn versus the dragon, Jaime versus Dany, etc....they culminate in absolutely nothing. A whole lot of wagons and soldiers got burned good, for sure. Oh and thank god all the important gold got into the city one minute earlier.

Eh, there might be some narrative implications

King's Landing doesn't get food, so starving them out is slightly more viable.

Jaime and Bronn will probably be captured

Dany showed off her power to the world

Burning food and using screaming scary foreigners and dragons might be really bad for Dany from an optics perspective

Seik

Banned
That scene alone justifies why the seasons are shorter and we're only halfway through!

Truly a masterpiece.

Socivol

While I liked the visuals I hated how Bronn and Jamie basically escaped in tact when they should've definitely died. For there to have been no major character deaths that scene played out way too long.

Eidan

You have Bronn versus the dragon, Jaime versus Dany, etc....they culminate in absolutely nothing. A whole lot of wagons and soldiers got burned good, for sure. Oh and thank god all the important gold got into the city one minute earlier.
How can you speak of the narrative consequences when you haven't seen the next episode?

JimiNutz

Banned
It's amazing and all and I fucking love me some Game of Thrones but Battle of the Bastards is still the best battle scene I've seen in well...anything.

Some of the shots in Battle of the Bastards were the most epic fucking thing I've ever seen. Jon drawing his sword and posturing up against thousands of charging cavalry, the chaos around him as horses slam into other horses, the rainfall of arrows, the dead bodies everywhere... And then that extremely satisfying ending to his fued with Ramsey. Nothing comes close in my opinion.

While I liked the visuals I hated how Bronn and Jamie basically escaped in tact when they should've definitely died. For there to have been no major character deaths that scene played out way too long.

I mean it was Daenery's first battle in westeros and the first time the dragons have been used in a real battle. It justified it's length by the fact that this has been building for 7 years. The question is how do they top this now that it finally happened.

Also yeah I'll agree Battle of the Bastards was far more unique visually even fi this scene might have been a bigger production.

I don't consider this scene to be narrativly dead at all. There was alot going on here.

The entire battle is from the perspective of the "bad guys"

We see lannister soldiers frightened, sweating and pissing themselves, putting emotion and faces to faceless soldiers.

The complete and utter shock on Jamie and bronns face as they witness this destruction. Like a nuclenuclear bomb.

When Jamie decided he wanted to charge in to kill Danny at the end, almost certainly going to his own death. Wasn't some hero moment, he wanted it to end.

Danny was the villian in this battle, based on the perspective it was shot.

jett

D-Member
Fucking spoilers in the title, FFS.

Mods please can we keep all discussion behind the megathread? Thank you

not-sure-if-serious.jpg

Loxley

I don't know if I would say it was completely devoid of any narrative content, but this is why I ultimately like Battle of the Bastards more. Sure, the Loot Train fight is more visually spectacular, but BoB had a lot more going for it narratively and emotionally speaking.

Eidan

Like with everything Game of Thrones post books, we jump to conclusions to criticise it.

The book purists are just seeming sad these days. I peeked my head in the Book Spoilers thread and actually saw a handful of them lamenting how the show is so acclaimed. Literally saying "Why can only book readers recognize how terrible this show is?!? :("

Move on guys.

JimiNutz

Banned
Not to be that guy, but why are they called Dragons when they are clearly Wyverns?

Because nobody but you and a couple other nerds on the internet know what the fuck a Wyvern is? lol

This is a mainstream show. Giant flying lizard that breathes fire = Dragon to 99.99% of the population.

LakeEarth

Yeah, I agree. Bronn should've died like 5 times...
And if the next episode opens with Bronn saving Jamie from drowning, I'll be pissed.

Yeah, Bronn's plot armor was the only detriment to the battle. I like the character, but he kept getting into bad situations and somehow getting out of them unscathed.

very enjoyable scene to watch, but if you have a dragon, why would you not attack, like, enfilade, rather than taking out a few soldiers at a time? she could have taken down that whole shield wall in ten seconds and let the dothraki run rampant (well, run rampant more quickly, they shouldnt have had to lose any horses to spear guys on the shield wall). also, that food she burned could have been useful for the unsullied, who now have to march across the entire continent.

it was awesome to watch, but im not sure it holds up to scrutiny that well. in fairness i know nothing about battle tactics but that is what occurred to me while watching it.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
There were a few shots of the dragon when it was getting ready to breath fire or banking in the air or some of the lower swoops that I thought were amazing. Even for GoT level money behind the CGI.. just really well done.

The actual battle itself as far as the action and direction had some highs and some kind of lows. It didn't grab me as well as others and i'm guessing that's mostly because i don't regularly watch so there wasn't as much weight to it for individual characters.

Jaime charging D (i cannot ever remember how to spell her name) and the dragon was fuckin cool

Bronn? trying to shoot it out of the sky with that ballista was also pretty great

soldiers getting smoked - like completely turned to ash was great. Perfect visual to frame Jaime in that one shot with the dude blowing away in the wind behind him...

Lots of good little things but I still dug the BoB more... more visceral and intimate..

I would have landed that dragon on one end of the wagon train and just started walking spewing fire though. Does she have telepathic level control of them now?

Kinyou

I kinda skimmed the video, but can someone explain how they do this? Do they, like, put something fire-resistant on their skin first? I know it's just the clothing catching fire, but can't the fire reach their skin?
I believe the they wear something non flammable under the clothes and have their skin covered in a certain gel.

The Watchmen movie really tested the limits of that gel by setting a guy on fire who was topless

https://youtu.be/oLAJK5Ph4WA

Seik

Banned
It was quite impressive, but lacked the emotional weight of the Battle of the Bastards.

Very spur of the moment revenge.

I have to agree, that battle was the best in the whole series so far imo.

The intro with the burning corpses, Jon's brother running in the field, Jon facing the entire army coming towards him in slow motion, the tactics used by the Bolton Army and the revenge that Jon gets on a Ramsay in the end, that the series spent so much time to build hate on, seasons after seasons.

It was pure goodness.

Showaddy

Yeah, Bronn's plot armor was the only detriment to the battle. I like the character, but he kept getting into bad situations and somehow getting out of them unscathed.

I agree to an extent but I would say having a character we were invested in trying to bring down Drogon with the ballista rather than a random solider added to the tension in the scene.

LQX

I wonder if the Iraqi highway death inspired some of it. I could not help but think of some of those horrifying images.

Thanks for the heads up about the showrunners calling it the Loot Train. I thought it was a fan thing, but it comes straight from the dragon's mouth, as it were.

I prefer the Battle of the Bastards but this is a close second for me.

Yeah, the story aspects behind the Battle of the Bastards combined with the technical production values made that one a little more interesting to me. This one is pretty cool from a technical and production value POV but story wise.... eh, it didn't seem like some huge battle, more like a raid.

But it's scenes like this that have me excited for what they eventually do maybe this year with any White Walker stuff and next season when they finish the whole thing, probably with a bang.

Danny was the villian in this battle, based on the perspective it was shot.

It's very clear from the musical cues and visual language that this is what the show runners wanted to convey.

Ominous music during the shots of Dany on her dragon. Characters like Jaime riding while horses. The Lannister soldiers overcoming their fear to hold their lines as long as they could and then their agony as they are burned. The heroic shots of Bronn manning the ballista and Jaime charging the dragon. The look of dismay on Tyrion's face as he watches the battle proceed.

All this may not necessarily mean that the show runners wanted to signal Dany going evil. But at the very least, it is meant to convey how the rest of Westeros will perceive of the battle

The over the shoulder extended shot of charging dothraki is phenomenal.

My personal favourite sequence in the show thus far is the battle at the wall. It came as the conclusion to a much stronger season.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Amazing sequence, for me especially because it kinda came out of left field: I was expecting the big battle to drop in ep6 again, but we suddenly get this huge setpiece and I was surprised in the best way.

Looking at that making of vid, could it be that we're up for another huge scene next ep? The director's the same, but a lot of the production folk are 'eps 4&5' as well. Could be a big wildling/walker fight.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
It was quite impressive, but lacked the emotional weight of the Battle of the Bastards.

Very spur of the moment revenge.

Well, BoB was the ending point of a ton of plotlines from past seasons and the endcap battle for season 6, this is a "mid" season episode. We will most likely get the BoB moments in episode 6 and 7.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.

What's the loot train? I don't know! I haven't seen the episode!

So now I know that whatever the "loot train" is, it's probably going to be attacked. All from just scrolling through Off Topic. Or it might be nothing at all and it refers to something else.

My point being, keep all GoT discussion in the OT, and don't make threads with a title that could be a spoiler, for the benefit of those who haven't seen it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom