• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones' incredible "Loot Train Attack" scene (SPOILERS for last week's ep)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best shot of the entire episode IMO

fm4F5YC.gif

Volimar

It's very clear from the musical cues and visual language that this is what the show runners wanted to convey.

Ominous music during the shots of Dany on her dragon. Characters like Jaime riding while horses. The Lannister soldiers overcoming their fear to hold their lines as long as they could and then their agony as they are burned. The heroic shots of Bronn manning the ballista and Jaime charging the dragon. The look of dismay on Tyrion's face as he watches the battle proceed.

All this may not necessarily mean that the show runners wanted to signal Dany going evil. But at the very least, it is meant to convey how the rest of Westeros will perceive of the battle

They wanted us to not know who to root for. The only reason it feels one-sided is that we spend most of the battle with Jaime.

I legit thought the same thing. Also my few encounters with Benioff he is a HUGE gamer. Loves Halo. So loot train was 100% a deliberate game reference.

Tell him screw that alt-history civil war drama, and bring an epic Halo series to HBO!

Can you imagine a Halo TV show that pulls no punches? Make this happen!

JimiNutz

Banned
Amazing sequence, for me especially because it kinda came out of left field: I was thinking they were going to save the major battles for ep6 again, but we suddenly get this huge setpiece and I was surprised in the best way.

Looking at that making of vid, could it be that we're up for another huge scene next ep? The director's the same, but a lot of the production folk are 'eps 4&5' as well. Could be a big wildling/walker fight.

Fuck I hope so. This season is shorter so I hope they cram as much awesome shit in as possible.

Skilletor

What's the loot train? I don't know! I haven't seen the episode!

So now I know that whatever the "loot train" is, it's probably going to be attacked. All from just scrolling through Off Topic. Or it might be nothing at all and it refers to something else.

My point being, keep all GoT discussion in the OT, and don't post anything about the episode in the title of your thread, for the benefit of those who haven't seen it yet.

Are you serious?

This can't be serious.

RDreamer

So now I know that whatever the "loot train" is, it's probably going to be attacked. All from just scrolling through Off Topic. Or it might be nothing at all and it refers to something else.

My point being, keep all GoT discussion in the OT, and don't make threads with a title that could be a spoiler, for the benefit of those who haven't seen it yet.

jfc spoiler culture has gone mad

You can't be serious.

Kinyou

I don't know if I would say it was completely devoid of any narrative content, but this is why I ultimately like Battle of the Bastards more. Sure, the Loot Train fight is more visually spectacular, but BoB had a lot more going for it narratively and emotionally speaking.
What I love about the Battle of the bastards are those scenes with the horses just crashing into each other, running people over etc. never saw that realised in a movie/show with such intensity.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Are you serious?

This can't be serious.

Yes I'm serious. I haven't had the chance to watch the episode yet, and it annoys the shit out of me when people start posting spoilers outside of the main thread.

Or it could not be a spoiler. I don't know, I haven't seen it yet.

Yeah, Bronn's plot armor was the only detriment to the battle. I like the character, but he kept getting into bad situations and somehow getting out of them unscathed.

the ballista part is what bothered me most about this. sure it was good to have a known character operating it, but if you are the dothraki in that battle, your main priority is making sure drogon isnt killed. as soon as they saw the ballista they should have swarmed on it and destroyed it. it was the only actual threat to their side on the entire battlefield.

in general i think bronn has become too central a character. he is likable and probably a composite of about a dozen book characters at this point, but it beggars belief that some rando sell sword keeps not only surviving, but bearing witness to so many central events in the story.

i feel like a curmudgeon complaining about this stuff, because i thought the scene was awesome. i guess i just think it was more awesome in the moment than upon reflection.

Yes I'm serious. I haven't had the chance to watch the episode yet, and it annoys the shit out of me when people start posting spoilers outside of the main thread.

That there's an attack in the episode on something called the "loot train" isn't a spoiler.

There's pretty much an attack on something at all times in every episode of this show that is entirely about a giant war between multiple factions.

That there's an attack on something shouldn't be considered a spoiler since you don't know

a) who attacked
b) who is being attacked
c) why they're being attacked
d) what happens in the attack
e) what the results of the attack are

Zolo

the ballista part is what bothered me most about this. sure it was good to have a known character operating it, but if you are the dothraki in that battle, your main priority is making sure drogon isnt killed. as soon as they saw the ballista they should have swarmed on it and destroyed it. it was the only actual threat to their side on the entire battlefield.

Yeah. I loved the battle, but all I could think of was how the guy manning the ballista would have a giant target on him and killed by a shitload of dothraki.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

And yet you're in here with gifs and fanart of the episode.

Kinyou

It also makes you wonder why no one had manned that ballista right away, after all is a dragon the whole reason they brought it along.

It's very clear from the musical cues and visual language that this is what the show runners wanted to convey.

Ominous music during the shots of Dany on her dragon. Characters like Jaime riding while horses. The Lannister soldiers overcoming their fear to hold their lines as long as they could and then their agony as they are burned. The heroic shots of Bronn manning the ballista and Jaime charging the dragon. The look of dismay on Tyrion's face as he watches the battle proceed.

All this may not necessarily mean that the show runners wanted to signal Dany going evil. But at the very least, it is meant to convey how the rest of Westeros will perceive of the battle

I agree here. A few things to point out though, the white horses are typically ridden by commanders in armys so it's likely more to do with that. But its there nonetheless. Also, the music and everything you said is true.. plus look at what the entirety of what team Dany is wearing in Season 7. They're all dressed in dark colors.

I've said it before, but I'm betting that Jaime is the prince that was promised. The clues have been sprinkled through a few seasons now, if you look hard enough. John Snow, Dany .. the rest are just grand diversions meant to be slight of hand and draw you away from whats been under our noses this entire time.

My point is that the spoiler was posted on the main forum. That needs to be moderated.

pretty sure both GOT threads (book and no book) are fair game once the TV episode has aired. You're asking for spoilers going into a GOT thread anywhere on the internet, or even if you trip while walking down the street you'll hear about the show. Always watch release night if possible or go dark until you do.

very enjoyable scene to watch, but if you have a dragon, why would you not attack, like, enfilade, rather than taking out a few soldiers at a time? she could have taken down that whole shield wall in ten seconds and let the dothraki run rampant (well, run rampant more quickly, they shouldnt have had to lose any horses to spear guys on the shield wall). also, that food she burned could have been useful for the unsullied, who now have to march across the entire continent.

I agree that Dany could have attacked way more efficiently from the dragon. In the end, they probably just wanted to make an exciting looking scene and didn't care about making it the most logical way possible.

On the second point, about the food, they are right outside King's Landing's gates. Do you propose they slooowly transport the food all the way back to wherever they would need it, all the way leaving themselves open to counterattack? There was no way they could have snagged the food. But at least, by burning it, they could ensure King's Landing wouldn't have it

Yep it was great .
When i was looking at the ep all i was saying we have come so far when it comes to tv shows .
Look better than some movies also .

~Kinggi~

Banned
My point is that the spoiler was posted on the main forum. That needs to be moderated.

Its not a spoiler dude. Its a term to label a scene that i wouldnt have even used before while watching it. You literally know nothing about the scene from that label. But youve made it worse by entering the thread.

It's not a spoiler. However you are in a spoiler thread, so chances are you're going to end up spoiling yourself the longer you're in here complaining about being not-spoiled.

Because you weren't.

Because that thread title isn't a spoiler in and of itself. Again - you don't know

a) who attacked
b) who is being attacked
c) why they're being attacked
d) what happens in the attack
e) what the results of the attack are

And the longer you are in this thread, the much higher the possibility is that an actual spoiler will float in front of you. Which will be your fault. Because you're poking around in spoiler threads.

RDreamer

There is no spoiler. You even said yourself you're not sure if it's a spoiler. If you're not fucking sure then it's not a spoiler. You're risking way more by hanging around in this thread complaining than you ever would by knowing some random ass phrase from this title.

Saw it with a big group on 75" screen. I swear we were all screaming for the entirety of the battle. What a masterpiece. Probably second place to me after Battle of the Bastards.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
It wouldn't be a spoiler if you didn't enter the thread. How can some people be so dense? lol

You spoiled yourself, good job.

DJKhaled.gif

I really .... REALLY wanna quote him and spoil something just... so bad. So bad.

Another quick question - Have we seen the White Walkers use "ice Arrows" ? Like whatever their swords are made out of only as arrow heads? Also are there Giant White Walkers since they all lived north of the wall for the most part? Has to be right? I wanna soo 4 giants fight a dragon omg...

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

My point being, keep all GoT discussion in the OT, and don't make threads with a title that could be a spoiler, for the benefit of those who haven't seen it yet.

Ugh, spoiler culture is the worse.

Seik

Banned

Let's read the title of this thread together.

Game of Thrones' incredible "Loot Train Attack" scene (SPOILERS for last week's ep)

''Loot Train Attack'' Gives absolutely no clue about nothing if you haven't seen the ep.

''SPOILERS for last week's ep'' Means that it spoils last week's ep, if you didn't see it, you shouldn't have clicked on it in the first place, even less enter to whine that there's spoilers in here. :lol

For the number of threads that can have a dumb, spoilery title, this isn't one. This one was carefully crafted. You have nothing but yourself to blame for coming here.

Yeah. I loved the battle, but all I could think of was how the guy manning the ballista would have a giant target on him and killed by a shitload of dothraki.

The ballista was in a covered wagon. They brought it along but weren't prepared to deploy it because the dragon swept down in like 10-20 seconds. The Dothraki who saw Bronn definitely tried to kill him but ate a bolt. Once Bronn got a shot off at Drogon, maybe someone other than Dany should have been watching and going "huh, that shot came from the Death Star, that thing is operational", but they were kind of busy killing stuff.

If they actually had a general there and not Tyrion, and a regular western army rather than Dothraki, they would have someone spot it and someone send signals to someone to go take it out. As it was, they didn't even know such a weapon existed and it was less than a minute before he could fire again. Dany was the only one who could target it.

The neat thing is now they know the ballistas exist.

Best part guys? This was a small time battle scene, taking out a small portion of the Lannister caravan. Imagine all out war, White Walkers, wights, giants, dragons, valerian steel weapons, Lannisters, The North, The Golden Company, The Mountain, The Hound, Brienne, unsullied, dothraki, greyjoys, dornish armies ...

Shit is going to be goddamn badass, it's no wonder they don't have the budget to stretch the show out.

megalowho

Or maybe just move along? Christ the episode aired almost a week ago, the OP was gracious enough to make a title that is meaningless if you haven't seen it, it's clearly marked SPOILER and you still took it as an invitation to jump in and finger wag.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Literally the last few episodes have had multiple attacks since there's an active war going on yet the possibility that there's another attack during a war is a spoiler?

Volimar

DJKhaled.gif

I really .... REALLY wanna quote him and spoil something just... so bad. So bad.

Another quick question - Have we seen the White Walkers use "ice Arrows" ? Like whatever their swords are made out of only as arrow heads? Also are there Giant White Walkers since they all lived north of the wall for the most part? Has to be right? I wanna soo 4 giants fight a dragon omg...

They showed some giant wights, but no giant white walkers yet.

jett

D-Member

thelatestmodel
Junior, please.
(Today, 12:20 PM)

The title of this sequence is meaningless. Just be happy I didn't go with a more descriptive title, or that I decided to not post any gifs, which you are certainly in danger of encountering if you keep messing about in this thread.

...Which now makes me believe your're fucking with us. Or nuts. Either or.

~Kinggi~

Banned
HBO did the right thing reducing the amount of episodes in order to give more budget to the larger scope. Its one way to ensure that the crew and talent stay engaged and feel like they are still growing and breaking new ground. Them being able to say 'this was even bigger than the last' helps keep the morale high and for a show thats going 8 seasons thats pretty important.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Anyone who doesnt watch the show on Sunday night should know by now that spoilers will be everywhere. i remember seeing shots of a dead Jon Snow on youtube and yahoo stories.

This title is fine. the only thing it spoils is that tehre was an incredible scene in last week's episode and refers to it as loot train attack which gives away nothing. Had he said Dragon attack on the lannister convoy i would understand the frustration.

It's fucking Thursday. if you care about spoilers so much, stay up one night and watch the show. its only an hour long. you wont convince me that you couldnt take an hour to watch an episode that aired nearly a 100 hours ago. i dont care if you got divorced, had a death in the family, were bed ridden in a hospital (hbo go is on all phones) or busy working. if you have time to browse gaf you have time to watch game of thrones.

Fercho

LMAO you really need to see the episode, the "loot train" is really vague and a terrible title for the scene. I wonder why are you even posting in the thread ahahahaha WTF:

I agree here. A few things to point out though, the white horses are typically ridden by commanders in armys so it's likely more to do with that. But its there nonetheless. Also, the music and everything you said is true.. plus look at what the entirety of what team Dany is wearing in Season 7. They're all dressed in dark colors.

I've said it before, but I'm betting that Jaime is the prince that was promised. The clues have been sprinkled through a few seasons now, if you look hard enough. John Snow, Dany .. the rest are just grand diversions meant to be slight of hand and draw you away from whats been under our noses this entire time.

So there is some evidence that Jaime could be the prince that was promised, specifically his dream (in the books) where he has a radiant sword:

This is your place, Brother. This is your darkness." Her torch was the only light in the cavern. Her torch was the only light in the world. She turned to go.
"Stay with me," Jaime pleaded. "Don't leave me here alone." But they were leaving. "Don't leave me in the dark!" Something terrible lived down here. "Give me a sword, at least."

"I gave you a sword," Lord Tywin said.

It was at his feet. Jaime groped under the water until his hand closed upon the hilt. Nothing can hurt me so long as I have a sword. As he raised the sword a finger of pale flame flickered at the point and crept up along the edge, stopping a hand's breath from the hilt. The fire took on the color of the steel itself so it burned with a silvery-blue light, and the gloom pulled back. Crouching, listening, Jaime moved in a circle, ready for anything that might come out of the darkness. The water flowed into his boots, ankle deep and bitterly cold. Beware the water, he told himself. There may be creatures living in it, hidden deeps...

But I think it's a pretty farfetched theory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom