• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
untitle41d-3fskc3.png
Note: Any leak discussion is prohibited in the thread and bannable. This includes linking to sources, vague hints, posting spoilers outright, etc... Find somewhere else on the internet to have this conversation if it appeals to you.

Game of Thrones is a television series on HBO based on the bestselling A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin. Game of Thrones is an epic, high fantasy series about the fight for control of Westeros which was inspired by The War of the Roses in medieval Europe. Though it's been labeled as fantasy, Game of Thrones is more about the struggle for power and family dynamics than it is about typical fantasy tropes like magic and elves. As co-producer and writer David Benioff put it: ”If you have to just pick one word to describe it, it's the word ‘power' and how it affects those who are pursuing it, and how those who already have it try to retain it, and how those who are caught in the crossfire between the two are mutilated in the process." In addition to complex characters living in a well thought out and developed world, the story boasts plenty of violence, sex, and other adult oriented content.

The seventh season premieres Sunday, July 16th at 9PM on HBO. Season 7, which will consist of 7 episodes, will be followed by a 6 episode final season to conclude the series. HBO is also working on a variety of spinoff ideas, but those will not enter production until after GoT finishes.

HBO's Press Release:
HBO said:
Summers span decades. Winters can last a lifetime. And the struggle for the Iron Throne continues.

It stretches from the south, where heat breeds plots, lusts and intrigues, to the vast and savage eastern lands, where a young queen raises an army. All the while, in the frozen north, an 800-foot wall of ice precariously protects the war-ravaged kingdom from the dark forces that lie beyond. Kings and queens, knights and renegades, liars, lords and honest men...all play the 'Game of Thrones.'

An original series based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series.

castcrew61qu3.png

Main cast:
(Note that this cast list is from Wikipedia, so there may be inaccuracies. HBO neglected to release an official one)
0c8Jlyj.png
1PaqoOH.png
pwZEqmJ.png
i28NuLi.jpg
OFPuGY2.png
9uP4YS4.png

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Jaime Lannister, Lena Headey as Cersei Lannister, Kit Harington as Jon Snow, Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen, Aidan Gillen as Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish

hPnEjtU.png
dTM9nbW.png
vfCRrWD.png
ZqUs4Td.png
W2G3c3R.png
OITb8Yj.jpg

Liam Cunningham as Davos Seaworth, Carice van Houten as Melisandre, Indira Varma as Ellaria Sand, Sophie Turner as Sansa Stark, Nathalie Emmanuel as Missandei, Rory McCann as Sandor "The Hound" Clegane

l2NNsGD.png
QeaBDXk.png
bySE46C.png
ZOEr3sH.png
It7497C.png
BcsLYB1.png

Maisie Williams as Arya Stark, Conleth Hill as Varys, Alfie Allen as Theon Greyjoy, John Bradley as Samwell Tarly, Gwendoline Christie as Brienne of Tarth, Kristofer Hivju as Tormund Giantsbane,

AFwziEL.png
Jav1J3M.png
4bCsg0H.png
uJWThqM.jpg.jpg

Isaac Hempstead Wright as Bran Stark, Jerome Flynn as Bronn, Iain Glen as Jorah Mormont, Hannah Murray as Gilly

Guest cast:
Jacob Anderson as Grey Worm, Pilou Asbæk as Euron Greyjoy, Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson as Gregor Clegane, Jim Broadbent as Archmaester Marwyn, Ben Crompton as Eddison Tollett, Richard Dormer as Beric Dondarrion

Vladimir Furdik as the Night King, Mark Gatiss as Tycho Nestoris, Josephine Gillan as Marei, Jessica Henwick as Nymeria Sand, Tom Hopper as Dickon Tarly, Paul Kaye as Thoros of Myr

Ellie Kendrick as Meera Reed, Rosabell Laurenti Sellers as Tyene Sand, Anton Lesser as Qyburn, Tim McInnerny as Robett Glover, Megan Parkinson as Alys Karstark, Daniel Portman as Podrick Payne

Bella Ramsey as Lyanna Mormont, Diana Rigg as Olenna Tyrell, Richard Rycroft as Maester Wolkan, Rupert Vansittart as Yohn Royce, Gemma Whelan as Yara Greyjoy

schedule0pqnn.png
Game of Thrones returns for its seventh season on July 16th, 2017. The season will consist of 7 episodes and they will air each Sunday at 9PM.

Episodes
701: Dragonstone (Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss, Directed by Jeremy Podeswa, 59 min runtime)
702: Stormborn (Written by Bryan Cogman, Directed by Mark Mylod, 59 min runtime)
703: The Queen's Justice (Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss, Directed by Mark Mylod, 63 min runtime)
704: TBA (Written by TBA, Directed by Matt Shakman, 50 min runtime)
705: TBA (Written by TBA, Directed by Matt Shakman, 59 min runtime)
706: TBA (Written TBA, Directed by Alan Taylor, 71 min runtime)
707: TBA (Written TBA, Directed by Jeremy Podeswa, 81 min runtime)​

videosj5onk.png

resources9epmk.png

Brief FAQ:
1. Why are there only 7 episodes this season and 6 episodes for the final season?

The scope and scale of the show has increased significantly from where things began, and they don't have the time, money, and other resources to produce more episodes in a year. After Season 6, Benioff and Weiss felt that 13 episodes would be enough to conclude the story, and crafting 7 one year and 6 the next fit the production timeline that they could achieve. Keep in mind that the episodes in season 7 are going to be longer than average, and the 7th episode of will be 81 minutes long.

2. What's going on with the spinoffs on HBO?

HBO has five potential Game of Thrones spinoffs in the very early stages of development. They're currently fleshing out ideas and beginning to work on pilot scripts. They won't make all five of them - it's likely that only one or two will see the air, and HBO is going to finish GoT well before any of these premiere. There's a lot more information in this thread.

3. Why do we still have two threads for the tv show when the show material is past what has happened in the books?

The two communities (non-book readers and book readers) have developed separately and served different purposes over the years. The book readers thread involves A LOT of book discussion, and the two communities don't play well together, generally speaking. For this reason, we've decided to continue to keep the two of them separate as the show finishes up over the next couple of years.​

onspoilersoopar.png
- ABSOLUTELY NO BOOK DISCUSSION. It doesn't matter if it's under spoiler tags, book discussion should not be in this thread. Use the other thread for book-related television discussion. This includes alluding to things, subtle hinting, comparing the books to the show, etc...

- Regular TV thread rules apply:
  • Once something airs in the US on the East Coast, it's fair game. Feel free to discuss anything that has aired without using spoiler tags.
  • Anything that hasn't aired yet should be spoiler tagged including information from HBO previews, loglines, trailers, interviews, and a few other places.
  • Speculation from people that haven't read the books is fine and encouraged.
- For the book readers that want to lurk in this thread:
  • No taunting or teasing:
    e.g. "Oh, just wait until you guys see what happens to him next week!!!"
  • No leading questions:
    e.g. "What do you think will happen to this character by the end of the season?"
  • No comparing the book to the show:
    e.g. "Well, that's different than in the book where they..."
  • Answering questions is fine when the information is readily available from what has aired on the show.
    e.g. Q: "Wait, how is Robb related to Ned?" A: "Robb is Ned's son."

The bottom line is that this thread was created for people that haven't read the books to enjoy and discuss the television show. Keep their interests in mind and let them enjoy the show on their own terms without constantly pestering them. In general, there isn't a good reason for book readers to post in this thread. Thanks for your help. I strongly recommend that you subscribe to the appropriate thread and use your subscriptions page to visit the thread.

Note: Any leak discussion is prohibited in the thread and bannable. This includes linking to sources, vague hints, posting spoilers outright, etc... Find somewhere else on the internet to have this conversation if it appeals to you.

summaryt6oyd.png
  • The season starts on July 16th at 9PM, and will continue each Sunday after for 7 episodes.
  • Season 8 will consist of 6 episodes and conclude the series in 2018 and/or 2019.
  • Any leak or book discussion is bannable.
  • Special thanks to TheOddOne for working on the banners and to Steelyuhas for years of making quality OTs for the series

Ovid

I have avoid the no spoiler thread since S5. You guys were to good at predicting events. Since there are only a couple of posts I would just like to say...I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS SEASON TO START.

I still haven't watched the trailer so I'm going in blind. Pictures are disable on GAF for me so I can't see what is in the OP.

That is all.

👍🏾

Jackpot

Banned
I expect jetpack use to go into overdrive such as when Varys teleported from Mereen to Dorne and back to Dany's fleet in the space of two scenes.

I get that they don't have to follow day-to-day events but they could have at least done something to indicate the passage of time.

Didn't realize it was so soon. Haven't watched any of the trailers or anything, going in blind. Are they gonna have a recap at all?

duckroll

Does anyone thing we're going to see Zombie Hodor in the season finale among the Night King's army.... HOLDING THE DOOR?

Also yeah lol I'm not gonna check this thread too often because like someone else said you guys are too good at predicting things.

Arnt we past the books now? Finally all those smarmy book readers will have to wAtch the show like the rest of us, not knowing what's going to happen next: p

kswiston

I have avoid the no spoiler thread since S5. You guys were to good at predicting events. Since there are only a couple of posts I would just like to say...I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS SEASON TO START.

The spot on predictions from threads in earlier seasons were often book (or book summary) readers pretending to come up with elaborate theories to stuff they already knew the outcomes to. Like the necklace in the purple wedding in S4.

But we are in uncharted territory now. Beyond some stuff that had been foreshadowed for years, I expect a lot of surprises.

HvySky

ALL OF THEM. QUEEN CERSEI WILL PREVAIL!

I love watching Cersei, but I feel like she probably isn't long for this world with armies descending on her from practically every direction. I'm really curious if we'll see a Lannister reunion before things truly go to hell.

The opening of last season's finale, with Light of the Seven playing, is one of my favorite scenes of the entire series. Beautiful and haunting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom