• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

RDreamer

Watched the 4th episode of Season 1 today. One thing that I caught that was kinda cool. When Ned is talking to Arya about how Bran and her will grow up he describes her having children and marrying a lord. She replies "That's not me." That same sort of thing was said by her about Nymeria in Season 7. She says "That's not you" after asking if she'll come back to Winterfell with her.

Didn't notice it at the time, though I'm sure it was probably brought up here at some point.

Hydrus

Watched the 4th episode of Season 1 today. One thing that I caught that was kinda cool. When Ned is talking to Arya about how Bran and her will grow up he describes her having children and marrying a lord. She replies "That's not me." That same sort of thing was said by her about Nymeria in Season 7. She says "That's not you" after asking if she'll come back to Winterfell with her.

Didn't notice it at the time, though I'm sure it was probably brought up here at some point.

Just finished my rewatch aswell just now. Pretty cool seeing more and more of the Jon/ Dany parallels. Both of them protecting the weak. Also "Distrusting me was the wisest thing you've done since you climbed off your horse." - LittleFinger. Man, I'll say it again, you REALLY see everything in a whole new light when you do a rewatch. So much stuff that was right in front of you. I give props to all of the writing crew for being able to manage everything so well.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Varys knew he was gone.

"I trust you do know you're a dead man?"

I mean even if he came out alive and went to the wall, he still poses no threat. He was never going to have any power ever again

He's got absolutely no motive to tell lies to him
How could Varys know? Was he whispering in Joffrey’s ear? And considering everything that happens in the series it would have been extremely interesting if Ned would have kept his honor, and not tried to regain power as he would realize the White Watchers were approaching.
Just finished my rewatch aswell just now. Pretty cool seeing more and more of the Jon/ Dany parallels. Both of them protecting the weak. Also "Distrusting me was the wisest thing you've done since you climbed off your horse." - LittleFinger. Man, I'll say it again, you REALLY see everything in a whole new light when you do a rewatch. So much stuff that was right in front of you. I give props to all of the writing crew for being able to manage everything so well.
You mean GRRM??

Hydrus

How could Varys know? Was he whispering in Joffrey’s ear? And considering everything that happens in the series it would have been extremely interesting if Ned would have kept his honor, and not tried to regain power as he would realize the White Watchers were approaching.

You mean GRRM??

Yes, him included. You still need good show writers to translate all of it into a very long tv series like this.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Yes, him included. You still need good show writers to translate all of it into a very long tv series like this.
I’ll be honest I was being pretty snarky, but I think they do a great job the first five season translating the material, especially Seasons 3, 4, and 5 (minus Dorne and Meereen). The original scenes were also really well done in Season 1. I wish they would have put more thought into the later seasons, but writing my own fan fiction, I can easily see why it happened the way they did.

Surfinn

You mean GRRM??
He knew there was a good chance he was gunna either die or be exiled. Either way, he had no incentive to lie to Ned. I'm not saying he knew the way things were gunna transpire once Ned "confessed".

Hydrus

Day 36 without GoT:
um1hv15hg8pz.png

New Game revealed episode 6 available today.

Hydrus

I love that they film so much on location and not in a studio. But man, what wasted potential, could have been one of the better episodes of the series, and while it might have some amazing moments, they fucked up it.

I thought it was a very fun episode. Only thing I hated was when Jon kills the white walker and all but one wight just so happens to die. I thought that was lazy as fuck. Should of kept a few alive and have the squad kill them off, leaving just one instead.

I thought it was a very fun episode. Only thing I hated was when Jon kills the white walker and all but one wight just so happens to die. I thought that was lazy as fuck. Should of kept a few alive and have the squad kill them off, leaving just one instead.

There are a few more moments on top of that one which are handled quite poorly I think, but yeah, definitely a fun episode.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I still think the biggest issue with that episode is how much we cut back and forth from the action to Winterfell and others. Battle of the Bastards would've been less cool if we kept cutting to elsewhere. They really should've put some of those Winterfell scenes in another episode or earlier on and then have had the back end be nothing but the battle and the aftermath.

I still think the biggest issue with that episode is how much we cut back and forth from the action to Winterfell and others. Battle of the Bastards would've been less cool if we kept cutting to elsewhere. They really should've put some of those Winterfell scenes in another episode or earlier on and then have had the back end be nothing but the battle and the aftermath.

The cuts are there to help support the fact that time is passing. As many people complained about time issues, it would have read even worse without cutting away to focus on other plots.

Einchy

The cuts are there to help support the fact that time is passing. As many people complained about time issues, it would have read even worse without cutting away to focus on other plots.

Then you establish that in other ways without killing all the momentum.

Then you establish that in other ways without killing all the momentum.

It was handled poorly even with the cuts, imagine how poorly it would have played out without them. The cuts were intentionally placed there because they had no idea of a better way to handle it, or just didn't want to put in the effort or time to try and do it better.

Hydrus

Day 38 without GoT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZsns-6gUcc

^^^Watch this if you haven't yet^^^. It's awesome!

So some new info:

Every Game of Thrones season 8 episode to be ”monumental", says John Bradley

So I mentioned last time that Maise Williams was in Belfast. Well, it apparently was for only one day. Peter Dinklage is still there. Kit Harrington was spotted in LA. No other actor so far has been seen in Belfast. A stuntwoman posted a pic of her and some of the crew, including the Night Kings actor a week ago. I'm NOT a stalker btw lol! Just stuff posted around the GoT circles.

So why bring this up? Well, it means rehearsing has began for the stunt crew but filming hasn't begun yet and probably won't for a few more weeks. Take in account that the holidays are coming up ( which means breaks) plus talk of shooting will go until August, I think it's time to officially rule out a late 2018 premiere :(

EDIT: Ian Glen confirmed the readthrough is October 9th for the actors.

https://youtu.be/nDOxVYDDJUU?t=20m40s

ascii42

Day 39 without GoT:

The info keeps coming:

Liam Cunningham clears up why Game of Thrones Season 8 episodes will be longer

100% confirmed now that the filming date leaks are true. Definitely no Game of Thrones until 2019. The dream is dead. They also are going to film a ton! Final seasons going to be huge!

That'll be good, but this also makes sense:
Of course, there are other factors that may explain this new filming schedule. As we just reported, Iain Glen had an alternative explanation: since most characters occupy the same storyline now, they can only have one unit filming at once instead of two or three.

I imagine it's a combination of the two.

Hydrus

Thanks for sharing, but I'd stay clear of r/freefolk. If there's any leak it will be there front and center and you'll be spoiled. Unless you don't care obviously.

Filming until the end of summer is pretty long.

Yea, I try to stay away from reddit. I only like the funny gifs and pics they post on there. I'm gonna bail since filming is gonna start and that's when the real stuff leaks.

Yea, I try to stay away from reddit. I only like the funny gifs and pics they post on there. I'm gonna bail since filming is gonna start and that's when the real stuff leaks.

Well I think r/gameofthrones is pretty safe, as long as you stay away from new and just browse hot. But r/freefolk is all about leaks, they're encouraged and require no spoiler warning or anything.

Hydrus

Well I think r/gameofthrones is pretty safe, as long as you stay away from new and just browse hot. But r/freefolk is all about leaks, they're encouraged and require no spoiler warning or anything.

Good to know. What about watchers on the wall? They post a lot of good info, but do they post story leaks too? That's where Ive been getting the production info from. I guess I should stop following them aswell.

Einchy

Stopped going to /r/FreeFolk when I saw a thread for season 8 "leaks" that had hundreds of posts. I'm sure it was just shooting dates and whatnot but I'm not going to risk it. Until 2019, Free Folk.

Szeth

Good to know. What about watchers on the wall? They post a lot of good info, but do they post story leaks too? That's where Ive been getting the production info from. I guess I should stop following them aswell.

Watchers is the best because they never spoil anything without warning and are great at finding out about leaks first and if they're real or not. Following them on twitter saved me many spoilers this year.

I dread the 'season 8 scripts leaked' tweet...

Hydrus

Day 40!! without GoT:

I think Watchers on the wall should be safe. I don't think they put spoilers in titles and give warning.

Example: http://watchersonthewall.com/huge-spoilers-come-with-the-newest-photos-out-of-northern-ireland/

But I could be wrong.

Watchers is the best because they never spoil anything without warning and are great at finding out about leaks first and if they're real or not. Following them on twitter saved me many spoilers this year.

I dread the 'season 8 scripts leaked' tweet...

Sounds good. I'll stick with watchers.

It's now been 40 days since the last episode. Time flies! Just 400 plus more to go :(

Einchy

So I said I wouldn't go to Free Folks 'cus of possible spoilers but then they allied with Prequel Memes and now all the memes are ten times dumber/better.
CjKyiGcl.jpg

Hydrus

Day 41 without GoT:
tumblr_mswdpnUeyP1sbg2xyo1_500.png

AND NOW IT BEGINS!!!!!!!! In 24 hours the cast will begin the S8 read through in Belfast and production is officially starting! Time to go on media blackout! I'm sure you will start seeing some cast photos popping up today. The last time this cast will film together :'( It's been quite a ride.

So I said I wouldn't go to Free Folks 'cus of possible spoilers but then they allied with Prequel Memes and now all the memes are ten times dumber/better.

Lol. That place is too much. I want to keep going there, but I know those crazies are gonna spoil everything for me.

Edit: Ok, I just have to share this one from freefolk. Made me bust out laughing. Some of those users are too good at this stuff.

It's definitely going to be hard when this show ends. I've been watching Sunday nights as it airs since the first season.

I think what I'll miss the most, outside of the actual show obviously is the discussion and speculation surrounding it.

Hydrus

It's definitely going to be hard when this show ends. I've been watching Sunday nights as it airs since the first season.

I think what I'll miss the most, outside of the actual show obviously is the discussion and speculation surrounding it.

Yea. I really love this cast of characters. Most of them are now TV/ cinema icons. We will be getting spinoffs, which is cool too look forward too, but they already said none of them will be even remotely as long as GoT.

Yea. I really love this cast of characters. Most of them are now TV/ cinema icons. We will be getting spinoffs, which is cool too look forward too, but they already said none of them will be even remotely as long as GoT.

If there is anyone who might make it to the spin-off it's Melisandre since it's almost guaranteed to be a prequel she could play her normal self, instead of the
year old she is right now.

Of course depending on when it's set. If it's thousands of years in the past, then obviously not.

None of the cast outside of her would make sense unless it takes place within the same current timeline.

Top Bottom