• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 6 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sajjaja

From reddit.
giphy.gif

Moving on, I'm just waiting for someone to photoshop John Travolta into the scene where the horses clash and Jon is just looking around lol.

They did what I asked! Now they just need to replace Jon completely lol.

-griffy-

Banned
cool the same director as that awesome battle in season 5 directing next weeks ep as well. :eek:

lol I guess I just dont know how to use it lol Kappa
use the same program...i got the most recent updated one too... I used 23 fps using 24 looked to fast guess I'll play with it alittle more.

Oh okay, yeah I just recorded a 720p YouTube video right off the page, not fullscreen or anything. Set it to 24 fps to record (when I'm doing movies/TV gifs anyways, otherwise 30 for games), trim and resize, and use quantize when I save it.

omg_mjd

Finally got to watch episode 9. Predictable, but that ending...muy delicioso. Like having a cold drink after crossing the desert.

Dreez

Still on a high from this episode.

When Jon Snow was about to face the long haired dude only to be trampled and nearly stomped to death was brilliant. Classic GoT trope, thought that was it for him for the 2nd time in the episode.

Also using the shield to catch three arrows was cool as hell.

Awesome episode, had to rewatch it to see Ramsay turn into doggy food.

neoism

Strong rumor, last we heard was one of the GoT directors who said he believed next season was gonna be 7 episodes. At this point I'd be surprised if it was a ten episode season but nothing has been confirmed so it's possible things changed.

It can't be deus ex machina if it was set up.
[edit]

From reddit.
giphy.gif

omg lol

also DAMN a lot of good CGI in this ep... you know its good when you didnt know.

Chichikov

Man, Jon Snow is a garbage leader and a terrible general, like, Robert E. Lee at Gettysburg terrible (and no, you don't get to blame George Pickett, that's revisionist bullshit).
But unlike Lee, he had Carcetti come and save his useless ass.
Between that bullshit and Rickon inability to run in zig zag pattern the Starks have proven themselves unfit to rule. Sean Bean them all. #TeamPirateLady

p.s.
Ramsey should've have cats. I mean the cats would've killed him, but it would've taken them at least 3 episodes and I wouldn't have lost my death pool bet that he survives this season.
Stupid dogs.

Talka

So what's Sansa's and Jon's plan here?

Are they still shooting for independence from the iron throne? Is Sansa the Queen in the North?

HotHamBoy

My favorite episode in ages. The payoff here was incredible. So many things finally happening.

That said....

Jon Snow is THE WORST TACTICIAN EVER. Seriously, why does anyone follow this hot-headed meat brain? If it wasn't for Sansa everything would be lost. Speaking of Sansa, her scene with Jon the night before the battle was probably my favorite scene of her's in the show. She's finally come into her own as a strong woman. Great job from Sophie Turner, I usually find her performances bland.

And this might be the first episode since Daeny settled Meereen that I found her scenes exciting.

EDIT: Also, why didn't Wun Wun have a weapon? He just swats at stuff with his big meat hands. No club? No giant spear?

-griffy-

Banned
So what's Sansa's and Jon's plan here?

Are they still shooting for independence from the iron throne? Is Sansa the Queen in the North?

I think it's:

Take over Winterfell, reinstalling Starks in their rightful seat of power>Unite the North>Prepare for White Walkers.

I don't think they really care about the Iron Throne at this point. Jon doesn't at least. I'm sure Littlefinger saving them will complicate everything though.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I bet GRRM loves this episodes.

I've seen pretty much all the interviews GRRM has on Youtube and one thing he has brought up multiple times is the lack of horses in the show, he understands how unruly they can be and how costly it would be to have them in each episode, so he isn't complaining but he does wish they could be in the show more. I can imagine him fully erect when he saw the clash of horses.

It's better than last season thanks to much less Dorne but the writing is still terrible. The show writers appear to favor shock value over characterization. I'd say it's an average season with great episodes like the Door, Battle of the Bastards and hopefully the finale.
I feel like this is something they've done a lot better with this season---not relying on shock value. Unless I'm forgetting something in particular this season.

Man, Jon Snow is a garbage leader and a terrible general, like, Robert E. Lee at Gettysburg terrible (and no, you don't get to blame George Pickett, that's revisionist bullshit).
But unlike Lee, he had Carcetti come and save his useless ass.
Between that bullshit and Rickon inability to run in zig zag pattern the Starks have proven themselves unfit to rule. Sean Bean them all. #TeamPirateLady
I feel like they went out of their way to make Jon look more incompetent than previous seasons have made him out to be, and I'm confused. What really drove me crazy was Sansa saying over-and-over how he needed more people. When Jon finally tells her he has asked anyone there is to ask, what honestly could Sansa logically counter with? But the scene is framed and written in a way to still make Jon come off like a horse's ass, when instead he needed to come off like a desperate man with no other options---especially considering Sansa was the one who pushed him to this battle in the first place.

Everything at the battle itself though I completely agree went to show how incompetent of a battle leader he is.

Re-reading my post...I say "I feel" way too much.

Talka

Man, everyone's hating on Jon Snow.

He made it clear in his war council how important he thought morale would be in the battle (Stark's honor vs Bolton's fear, and all that). Wouldn't be great for morale for the commander to hide behind his lines while his brother gets shot. And even once Rickon's dead, it wouldn't be great to start the battle off by fleeing back to his lines.

He made a hot-headed decision, but it's not like he had other good options.

HotHamBoy

Everything at the actual battle itself though I completely agree went to show how incompetent of a battle leader he is.

The one point Sansa just rams home is "DON'T DO WHAT RAMSEY WANTS YOU TO DO!" and Jon still gets played like a fucking fiddle.

Truly frustrating to watch.

Also, Rickon, bob n' weave, bro. Those Starks just can't avoid sharp edges for shit.

He made it clear in his war council how important he thought morale would be in the battle (Stark's honor vs Bolton's fear, and all that). Wouldn't be great for morale for the commander to hide behind his lines while his brother gets shot. And even once Rickon's dead, it wouldn't be great to start the battle off by fleeing back to his lines.

Hrm. This is actually a good point.
The one point Sansa just rams home is "DON'T DO WHAT RAMSEY WANTS YOU TO DO!" and Jon still gets played like a fucking fiddle.

It would've been less frustrating if the writing didn't seem so forcibly one-sided. Sansa getting upset no one asked for her insight...while she was in the room and could've spoken up. At any point. Then she gets grumpy no one asked. Suck up your pride and speak up! But again, it's all written like Jon is an ass.

Einchy

But the alternate is to let Ramsay murder Rickon without Jon not doing a damn thing, is that the type of character we want Jon to be?

neoism

yeah I dun get it, love him... jon is the man... anyone with their bother on the line would have acted like he did... he was just tryna save his bro. :( useless stark or not.

DoomGyver

Episode was amazing, that battle had me at the edge of my seat. Jon made some boneheaded moves, it's almost like he wants to die (again).

Episode was amazing, that battle had me at the edge of my seat. Jon made some boneheaded moves, it's almost like he wants to die (again).
And maybe this is true? Maybe he did want to die again. He seems rather depressed and aimless this season. At some point he is going to need a re-awakening of some sort. Something to give him purpose. Surely it will be the threat of the white walkers.
I just saw this. Appreciate the post.

Also, Rickon, bob n' weave, bro. Those Starks just can't avoid sharp edges for shit.

I was waiting for them to flash back to her saying that in his head or something - I guess that never happened in there. Also, where were those trenches he mentioned digging? That didn't seem to help at all.

Lamel

Banned
I don't blame Jon for what he did. It's in his nature to try and save Rickon, and I like him for it. Half the reason for the battle was to save him. He gave it his best shot.

Einchy

I was waiting for them to flash back to her saying that in his head or something - I guess that never happened in there. Also, where were those trenches he mentioned digging? That didn't seem to help at all.

Weren't the trenches so they couldn't be flanked and that's what ended up happening? Both armies clashed head on.

They didn't really show them, but they were supposed to dig them to prevent a pincer attack. But then they left their positions, so they became useless anyway (if they ever existed).

Artdayne

Have some perspective, his little brother was about to die. He's not the first person to act irrationally for a family member.

Have some perspective, his little brother was about to die. He's not the first person to act irrationally for a family member.
Agreed. Plus, running out to his brother wasn't the dumb part. If anything, it was him not going back to his line afterwards. However, they show Bolton's archers shoot a line of arrows behind Jon at the same time as he is charging. I'm not certain what they were going for, but maybe we're supposed to see Jon as not having a way back even if he wanted to?

Aselith

The part where he goes to save him is understandable. The part where he charges the entire army like he's going to solo them is the asinine part.

watershed

Banned

I think the trenches were dug around where Jon's army was originally positioned. That's why Jon originally wanted Ramsey to charge at him. So once Jon's army ran out to rescue him, they also abandoned the protection of the trenches.

Nerokis

People calling him a bad leader seem to be subscribing to a narrow definition of leadership. No one is following him because of his incredible tactical acumen. He has charisma, character, relates well to everyone, is a great fighter, and has a powerful story. Him charging in how he did comes down, I think, to a few things: 1). he's straight up a Northerner in the Ned Stark vein, knew in his bones he had no choice but to do all he could to save Rickon, and upon witnessing Rickon's death, had a predictable response to that injustice; 2). he's seen shit, he's a couple notches above a zombie now, he's unsure about his purpose, and all this has him feeling a little reckless; and 3). once he made the charge forward, there was no going back.

Jon is still growing into his post-Night's Watch leadership role. He took it reluctantly, and in bad circumstances. Not surprised that watching his brother die was enough to make him lose some composure.

People calling him a bad leader seem to be subscribing to a narrow definition of leadership. No one is following him because of his incredible tactical acumen. He has charisma, character, relates well to everyone, is a great fighter, and has a powerful story. Him charging in how he did comes down, I think, to a few things: 1). he's straight up a Northerner in the Ned Stark vein, knew in his bones he had no choice but to do all he could to save Rickon, and upon witnessing Rickon's death, had a predictable response to that injustice; 2). he's seen shit, he's a couple notches above a zombie now, he's unsure about his purpose, and all this has him feeling a little reckless; and 3). once he made the charge forward, there was no going back.

Jon is still growing into his post-Night's Watch leadership role. He took it reluctantly, and in bad circumstances. Not surprised that watching his brother die was enough to make him lose some composure.
All good points. I just wish they didn't frame Sansa as the smart, level-headed one who won the battle.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
What are Cersei's major blunders besides giving the High Sparrow/Faith Militant authority? And while that plan ultimately back fired, due to her dropping her guard more than anything else, it did precisely what it was supposed to, which was oust the Tyrells and put her back in a position of influence. It doesn't negate multiple seasons of her making some of the most impactful moves we've seen on the show. She's absolutely one of the best players of the game.

My favourite fuck up of hers is when she thinks she has one over Tyrion when he's forced to marry Sansa, and then Tywin drops the news that she will also have to marry Loras. Hahaha That's also when she threatened to burn their entire house to ground.

We don't even know if it was the sacrifice that caused the warm up.

Dude, It's not even worth denying it anymore. It's like if all the gods were dead and or fake, and you had to rely on satan to save the world. His ego is big enough that he might just do it out of a perverse need in taking out the competition, but you know deep down he's going to fuck you good in the process.

Does Littlefinger support Daenerys as Queen, like Varys? If so, their plan could be to stabilize different regions of Westoros.

Baelish makes sure that the North is united behind one house, while Varys possibly tries to get Dorne to help against the Lannisters and weaken the South for Dany's army.

If not, I have no idea what the end game is. Just marrying Sansa to become Warden seems rather small time for Baelish. On top of that, he isn't a real Northerner, so I don't see many up there respecting him to the degree that he would expect.

I doubt it, considering that LF is directly responsible for destabilizing the realm in the first place.

Convinces Lysa to kill her husband.
Tells Cat that the dagger used in Bran's would be assassination belonged to Tyrion.
Betrays Ned (to be fair he did warn him).

It's probably no coincidence that neither Dany nor the Starks can keep their houses up unless there are changes in how their name passes down to heirs.

I'm pretty sure the rules are about to be changed. Dany+Yara+Dorne Nuts+Dragons are a pretty powerful agent of social change in regards to women empowerment.

OK. I just watched the Anatomy of the Battle for Winterfell, and I feel a lot better about Jon. It confirmed something I was wondering, and that is that Jon's fuckup was going after Rickon. I can't fault him for going after this brother though, as many have said. At that point though, Jon can't retreat. Ivan brings up in that video that the whole point was to bring Jon within range of the archers. They shoot behind him, and he doesn't take off on his horse charging forward until the arrows are let loose behind him blocking off his escape.

Cyan

Banned
Whew, finally got to watch it. Brilliant fucking episode. That battle scene was fantastic. Really captured the terror and horror of what a medieval battle must've been like. I'm sure I'm not the first to say it, but it really felt right out of a Hardcore History episode. :p And even though my conscious brain knew Jon was going to survive I have to admit I had moments of doubt. The show has pulled enough surprise deaths to have earned it this time.

And capped off with the perfect ending. Very satisfying, unlike Joffrey's death.

No Dorne, no Sparrows, and the Dany stuff was actually reasonably fun this time around. The meeting with the Greyjoy kids was nice. Davos had a nice scene, one we've been waiting for for a while. Man. All-around good shit.

Can't wait for Littlefinger to murder them all next episode. :/

Sober

Whew, finally got to watch it. Brilliant fucking episode. That battle scene was fantastic. Really captured the terror and horror of what a medieval battle must've been like. I'm sure I'm not the first to say it, but it really felt right out of a Hardcore History episode. :p And even though my conscious brain knew Jon was going to survive I have to admit I had moments of doubt. The show has pulled enough surprise deaths to have earned it this time.

And capped off with the perfect ending. Very satisfying, unlike Joffrey's death.

No Dorne, no Sparrows, and the Dany stuff was actually reasonably fun this time around. The meeting with the Greyjoy kids was nice. Davos had a nice scene, one we've been waiting for for a while. Man. All-around good shit.

Yeah the encirclement part of the battle totally made me think of Dan Carlin describing the Battle of Cannae.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

Lol I'm actually pretty convinced that Little Finger won't betray Sansa. If he wanted to, why not just wipe out the surviving Stark forces along with Ramsay's army? Why save them just to kill them later when you've got them all lined up and pretty right now?

c0de

Littlefinger is a smart guy but I'd love the little Lady Mormont having a talk with him to battle him with words, demasquerading his plans.

Nerokis

All good points. I just wish they didn't frame Sansa as the smart, level-headed one who won the battle.

Yeah, I think this goes back to the build up to the battle being a bit odd. Why was Sansa hiding her request to Littlefinger from Jon? Did anyone actually believe Jon had a reasonable chance to defeat Ramsay, or was the entire effort supposed to feel suicidal? I like how things ended up for the most part, but some stuff around the edges could have been better written. The "Jon went in, was going to lose, and then Sansa showed up with backup" thing could have been executed in a more satisfying way.

I was thinking "please don't die" during the cavalry charge, when he was trapped under the bodies, and when he was hovering over Ramsay (Mountain vs. Oberyn trauma). I went into the battle almost certain Jon would be okay, but ended up being a nervous mess for almost all of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom