• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones Season 8 |OT| A Song of Icy and Fiery Fandom

Jon Neu

Banned
When you're attempting to pass off subjective as "objective" you've definitely crossed into 'exaggerated statements' territory. Still, be more bitter.

When you are failing to accept that this thing was a mess the last two seasons, seems like that makes you the bitter one.

you have to earn those

Ironic bearing in mind that your gifs are your coping mechanism when you don't have anything with a grain of argument in it to say.

What motivation? Their Queen is dead. There's no one to fight for. Greyworm might hate Jon's Guts for killing Dany, but he knows he can't just kill the king in the North and not damn his men to war with the northern forces and their allies. There's no gain to it for them, versus broker a peace between the various lords to find a new ruler and get themselves passage the fuck out of Westeros.

So their messiah has been just assassinated in front of them and they just shrug their shoulders and let it be with the silliest punishment ever. It's not like they are literally killing machines and savages who would scream for revenge with brutal madness. It's not like nobody could have complained if they killed Jon because he just assassinated their queen/messiah and it's fair to give him the same treatment. But no, they become sensible human beings scared of the north all of sudden. The fucking Dothraki and the fucking Unsullied.

You keep embarassing yourself by trying to defend this mess to the most ridiculous extremes, but at least you have your gifs to evade it all.

Kadayi

Banned
When you are failing to accept that this thing was a mess the last two seasons, seems like that makes you the bitter one.

Pretty sure I've voiced my criticism of the last 2 seasons plenty in this thread., you've just been too busy stroking your hate boner to pay attention.

Ironic bearing in mind that your gifs are your coping mechanism when you don't have anything with a grain of argument in it to say.

You keep embarassing yourself by trying to defend this mess to the most ridiculous extremes, but at least you have your gifs to evade it all.

stop_penis_erect_archer.gif

Threads about GOT not me.

So their messiah has been just assassinated in front of them and they just shrug their shoulders and let it be with the silliest punishment ever. It's not like they are literally killing machines and savages who would scream for revenge with brutal madness. It's not like nobody could have complained if they killed Jon because he just assassinated their queen/messiah and it's fair to give him the same treatment. But no, they become sensible human beings scared of the north all of sudden. The fucking Dothraki and the fucking Unsullied.

Pretty sure Dany put Greyworm in charge.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
Lay off the personal attacks and focus on the core argument.
Pretty sure I've voiced my criticism of the last 2 seasons plenty in this thread.,

tumblr_inline_mnzjgvsyR51qz4rgp.gif

Dude, we all know you are basically a bot created by D&D that activates everytime someone says something negative about the show to quote him with gifs and damage control. I can smell your code from here.

Pretty sure Dany put Greyworm in charge.

Yeah, Greyworm, the vicious unsullied that killed prisoners on Dany's orders, the one who got nothing else to live for after Missandei died. He then goes and takes prisoner the man who murdered Dany.

He was fearing that north army though. Nothing to do with plot armour and bad writing at all!

Fox Mulder

There's tons of questions, but why bother when they just wanted to end it.

Like why would the Unsullied and Dothraki even hold Jon as a prisoner after he murdered their queen? Wouldn't the Dothraki break up like when Drogo died instead of sitting around for weeks? Did Jon being a Targaryen never come up after? Why would the north secede with a Stark on the throne? Why did no one care or do it as well?

Whatever. What's another great show to get into?

Kadayi

Banned
Dude, we all know you are basically a bot created by D&D that activates every time someone says something negative about the show to quote him with gifs and damage control. I can smell your code from here.

(inappropriate gif removed)

Yeah, Greyworm, the vicious unsullied that killed prisoners on Dany's orders, the one who got nothing else to live for after Missandei died. He then goes and takes prisoner the man who murdered Dany.

But you're mistaken he still has a dream of Narth to live for.

Last edited by a moderator:

Verdanth

Most accurate gif for this season:

giphy.gif

So instead of an Iron Throne we get a Wooden Throne at the end. Bran the Broken, not only is an hilarious name, but it is also a poorly choice. HE is not one of those characters that people are clearing cheering for.

We can speculate that the son of a bitch was always aiming for the iron throne since he became the three-eyed-raven and knowns shit, but honestly that seems very far fetched coming from the writers.

The only arc that got a good finish was probably John's. For all the shit he got through he should have been King of the Seven Realms, however, since he is the redemption kind of character, making him King of the free folk, and making him piss of on the Night's Watch and go behind the wall is a good ending in my opinion. He always fought for people's freedom.

So:

Hated Bran at the throne.
Hated Sansa being such a bitch because she wanted to be queen of the north.
Hated other lords not saying anything to Sansa. "Yeah, it's ok, sure".
Hated Daenerys death scene. Felt way too cliché.
Hated Arya's closing arc.
Hated seeing that Cercei and Jamie could havesurvived, making their death feel stupid as fuck.
Hated Grey Worm suddenly growing a huge pair of balls, because Daenerys.

Liked the brief Daenerys Maleficent cameo.
Liked Brienne homage to Sir Jamie.
Liked John Snow and Ghost moment. Again, redemption.
John's closing arc, despite not being the one I wanted.
The memes.

Good thing is G.R.R Martin can fix this shitty finale in the books and all this becomes non-cannon.

Last edited:
Why the hell did it even do that anyway? Sure it looked cool, but having the dragon do it on its own makes it lack purpose and agency.

Intelligent Drogon: Quest for this chair is what made my mom mad and got her killed.

Dumb Drogon: This chair made up of lot of pointy things put a small pointy thing in my mom and killed her.

I am glad that Bran is the king of the 7 kingdoms. I am also NOT glad that Sansa was so salty about that and desired to be queen so bad she went independent. ESPECIALLY with her threat of the thousands of northmen that would not be happy. I was like what?... like the saying goes "You and WHAT ARMY?"
MEEEEEEEEEEEEH I still can't stand Sansa
The North should have always been independent. That was the only good thing about the last episode. The North men never wanted to be apart of the 7 kingdoms

120v

well i liked it -- with the major caveat the show needed to wrap up and there can't be two or three more seasons (perhaps more) to do every arc "justice". if you can get past that it's the best ending you can expect without a) NK dies and we all come together and sing kumbaya or b) the whole thing is just a total bummer. there's other ways to go but that's the gist of how all the truly "bad" endings could've played out

Jon Neu

Banned
The only arc that got a good finish was probably John's.

I loved Jaime's arc, for me the best arc of them all alongisde Brienne's.

Cersei ended "well" too, I even felt bad for her at the end (Lena is an amazing actress), but her character was shit the last two seasons. And Tyrion got a bit up after three seasons of being absolutely worthless, but he was far from the character he once was in the first 4 seasons.

Still one of my favourite scenes of the entire show.

Bran is another one that his arc was supposed to be super interesting and important but ended up being it'sfuckingnothing.gif. They gave him the crown just because; nothing earned, nothing build up and nobody cares. We have to wait for the books to see his real story and the Others/Children of the forest story.

And Arya has stopped to be a psychopath? And now she is an explorer? Doesn't make much sense, but she is another character that didn't make much sense for the last 3 seasons. When she was in King's Landing and the Hound convinced her from not going after Cersei with two lines, I fucking laughed. Incredible writing. They should have brought Syrio and/or Jaqen to give her some closure, at least.

Sansa is basically the new Littlefinger. It could have been done much better, but it's ok, I guess (her crown was fugly as sin though). But the way they killed Littlefinger in that atrocious season 7 Winterfell plot is going to remain as one of the worst plots of the entire show.

Dany's arc is ok too, her death should have been far better executed, but the concept is ok. I absolutely loved her in mad queen dictator mode.

Jon arc is good too, he ends up returning to the true north, the only place in which he found a sense of belonging. I guess he is going to have the wounds of what he had to do the rest of his life. He'll have to carry that weight. See you north cowboy.

Another good arc was Theon's/Reek's arc, one of the most conflicted and human character of them all. He earns his fucking redemption. Asha is a bitch though, I'm glad Arya threatened her and put her in her place. Boring character that was given too much protagonism.

Euron is a fucking embarassment. The only thing he has in common with the Euron of the books is the name, he is just a fucking Poochie psychopath.

Grey Worm ended ok, I guess. Not that his character mattered that much, but now he can go to Naath and be fucking poisoned by the butterflies that are venomous to everybody who isn't from Naath.

Ghost. He was a good boi. It's a shame the direwolves didn't have much more protagonism like in the books, all the super interesting aspects of the skinchangers are almost untouched in the show. They just don't give a crap about the lore.

Drogon. Da real MVP.

farmerboy

Seeing how almost no one is happy, I'm now rather worried how another favourite show of mine is going to wrap up - Supernatural.

The only glaring issue for me is how Tyrion and Jon survived. No way the Unsullied and Dothraki would have let this fly. And I suppose that's the overall problem this season, the writers painted themselves into too many corners that were unresolved in unsatisfactory, inconsistent ways.

It all feels just a little cheap, doesn't it?

Tyrion should have been executed and Jon could have survived and made it to the north, but only after a mad dash from the Unsullied clutches. Ayra could have even helped him escape or died helping. It would have been consistent and earned.

Jon Neu

Banned
Seeing how almost no one is happy, I'm now rather worried how another favourite show of mine is going to wrap up - Supernatural.

The only glaring issue for me is how Tyrion and Jon survived. No way the Unsullied and Dothraki would have let this fly. And I suppose that's the overall problem this season, the writers painted themselves into too many corners that were unresolved in unsatisfactory, inconsistent ways.

It all feels just a little cheap, doesn't it?

Tyrion should have been executed and Jon could have survived and made it to the north, but only after a mad dash from the Unsullied clutches. Ayra could have even helped him escape or died helping. It would have been consistent and earned.

Jon actually escaping and going beyond the wall alone by his own will with just pure grief would have been actually much better.

Jon Of Oldstones.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
For curiosity's sake, is there anyone here who disagrees with the statement that there has been a lot of negative feedback regarding Game of Thrones because the last few seasons of GoT have had the similar problems that The Last Jedi had too? Character issues, plotting issues, subverting expectations for the sake of subversion and not because it makes any sense, etc.

In other words, is there anyone here who loves The Last Jedi, but hates season 8, or anyone who loves season 8 but hates The Last Jedi?

Last edited:
First post in OT - I'm not so invested that I feel I can defend and debate GOT. I'm a very "regular GOT fan" and this was just such a MASSIVE disappointment for me.

I know it's difficult to end shows and do it in a way that is satisfying and neatly wrapped up, but I don't think I've EVER been more disappointed in a finale than I am right now. And the more I think about it the angrier I'm getting.

It was just ... terrible. I honestly can't believe the last episode went that way. I LIKE that this show can be unpredictable but this just feels like a slap in the face. All of season 8 seems like a compressed mess where the characters that were built up in previous seasons just get hollowed out and stop being themselves.

Throughout the entire show I've always felt that Bran's story line was by far the worst and just ... boring. Just a non-character IMO. No one cares about him and there's no reason the should either. So to end things this way was extremely bitter for me.

A completely unoriginal ending where Jon and Daenerys got married and ruled together would have been infinetly preferable to the GARBAGE we received.

Again, this is not the sort of thing that I would typially care about but that ending ( and now all of season 8 in context ) has me legit angry.

Kenpachii

Just in case you're being serious, explain to me: why didn't the unsullied and the dothraki avenge her Christ-like queen?

It's because gray worm has control over the army's and he knows that killing snow will result in a atomic bomb of reaction throughout the lands to delete him and his fighters and yes they can do this easily by just starving them to death as a example.

he's a foreigner in a foreign land and didn't made a lot of friends by mass murdering the entire city. He knows enough that he needs to hold people "friends" to not get butchered.

Now that he became more human after his journey through the seasons and more experience with the leaderships he probably also didn't wanted to throw is army/family onto the chopping block and used snow as a way for him to safeguard his position.

The moment he starts to poke at the lords with we decide what we do, he gets a confirmation that they already have a army ready to invade if he doesn't work with them.

Which result in them making compromises so everybody can agree with.

Sansa at the end of the steries is the real danger westeros is facing. This is why the dwarf which saw this directly after her jumping forwards for leadership and downtalking that other lord like he was some kind of child that he had to fast push the leadership towards bran so sansa couldn't get it. Gendry clearly doesn't want it even while he would be second best choice if bran refused. But he doesn't.

The dwarf had a little bit of experience with the new sansa basically throwing him into the pit. And stabbing john in the back the moment she could. She's dangerous and stands for the old politics in every possible way.

This blindsides sansa to the point she wants to split up out of the kingdom and bran.
Bran allows this simple for the fact as jailing your sister straight after becoming king is most likely not something you want to do.

The only inconsistency what doesn't make sense is dorne not going for there own kingdom also. Or maybe the leader at that point found the new idea a good idea and didn't wanted to be disconnected anymore who knows.

Did Jon being a Targaryen never come up after?

Interesting point. The council could have simply said his claim was greater than Dany’s so the killing was justified, but given that John didn’t want it and it would have cost more bloodshed this was the compromise they came up with. And Tyrion himself said it must have been a good compromise because no one was happy about it.

Falcs

Banned
Fucking Bran.....
I'm pretty sure this is how it went down between D&D:
"Let's melt the iron throne. It'll look awesome."
"Yeah, let's do it."
"Wait, who's going to sit on the throne now that there's no throne?"
"Oh shit... Wait, I know! Bran has his own chair!"
"Brilliant."

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
And Tyrion got a bit up after three seasons of being absolutely worthless, but he was far from the character he once was in the first 4 seasons.

Still one of my favourite scenes of the entire show.
If Tyrion had kept his contempt for the nobles of King's Landing, and influenced Dany to share his deathwish for them, that would have been a much better segway into her going all "no mercy" on them in the end.

daveonezero

Banned
all I can say is MCU was an example of how 10 years could mean something and then GOT shows how it can mean nothing. It was Meh. Nothing to be upset about. They fucked up not splitting that into two seasons.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So had bad is the ending? I don't watch the show but curious if they royally fucked the fanbase.
I don't watch the series either, but did my share of Wiki and watching YT fights. At dinner tonight with family (who watch the show), as well as reading criticism it comes down to this regarding the last season:

1. One episode was super dark

2. Only 6 episodes, so things were rushed

3. The Night King killing was a joke. He's supposed to be the ultimate uber boss, but gets killed by a side character with a stab to the chest, which conveniently kills every other snow zombie at the same time to make the huge battle all wrapped up in 5 seconds. Not such an epic boss fight after all

4. Supposedly counterintuitive actions by characters. You got 5 seasons of characters being their own personality and suddenly in season 6, they act differently. People making fun of the change in attitude with Emilia Clarke character in the final episode

Last edited:

Duallusion

They managed to make Dany's death even more anticlimactic then Cercei's; that takes some skill I guess.

total meh/10

Last season in particular drove the overall score of the whole GoT series down to about 7/10 for me. Can't hold a candle to Wire, Breaking Bad & company anymore.

Kadayi

Banned
For curiosity's sake, is there anyone here who disagrees with the statement that there has been a lot of negative feedback regarding Game of Thrones because the last few seasons of GoT have had the similar problems that The Last Jedi had too? Character issues, plotting issues, subverting expectations for the sake of subversion and not because it makes any sense, etc.

In other words, is there anyone here who loves The Last Jedi, but hates season 8, or anyone who loves season 8 but hates The Last Jedi?

Why so binary? Also, you're asking people to weigh 14 + hours of an adult Television drama against a 2-hour film made ostensively to sell future landfill to kids.

So how bad is the ending? I don't watch the show but curious if they royally fucked the fanbase.

Despite all the jumping up and down going on, the beats of the story will likely be the same, the main issue with the execution is really one of the pace of the series changing in the last couple of seasons as the show had moved beyond the source material into GRRM's detailed outline. If they'd extended events over another season and maintained the more sedate pace of the earlier seasons I think there would be much less griping going on.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Why so binary?
Because it's my question and that's those are the variables I want to compare. I've noticed a lot of the criticisms have a similar thrust, and the fanbases have similar characteristics as well.
Also, you're asking people to weigh 14 + hours of an adult Television drama against a 2-hour film
I know that. Doesn't mean they don't have points of comparison too.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Because it's my question and that's those are the variables I want to compare. I've noticed a lot of the criticisms have a similar thrust, and the fanbases have similar characteristics as well.

Fat angry neckbeards is a universal constant whatever the subject.

I know that. Doesn't mean they don't have points of comparison too.

Adult Drama versus a Film to sell toys? The only comparison I see is, some people hated this and some people hated that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom