• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones Season 8 |OT| A Song of Icy and Fiery Fandom

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
To be fair, though, in universe these guys know all about this religion stuff so explaining it to one another would be odd. Though why characters aren't a little bit more interested in proof a God existing by way of it's priesthood performing literal miracles is a bit baffling. You'd think people coming back to life, armies bearing flaming swords and shadow assassins would have everyone siding with Stannis. It's also really odd how little of a role religion plays in the series. It seems like 90% of the characters are atheists. Pretty odd considering the setting.
That's the show though. The north still has some level of old gods worship and the rest of Westeros is pretty heavy in religious worship to the Faith of the Seven. A big question among ASoIaF readers is whether there is ultimately two deities that forces in the ASoIaF are aligning under. For instance some people believe that The Many Faced God that The Faceless Men worship may actually be a different name for The Great Other.

Geki-D

Banned
That's the show though. The north still has some level of old gods worship and the rest of Westeros is pretty heavy in religious worship to the Faith of the Seven. A big question among ASoIaF readers is whether there is ultimately two deities that forces in the ASoIaF are aligning under. For instance some people believe that The Many Faced God that The Faceless Men worship may actually be a different name for The Great Other.
I haven't read the books, but as for the TV show besides telling us from time to time there are religions and besides Stannis and the other Lord of Light related characters, barely anyone seems invested in religion. We also only ever see proof that The Lord of Light is real. Why anyone in the North would hold on to their old Gods when literal miracles are happening from The Lord of Light is anyone's guess. I'd suggest their religious fervor is too strong to let them be convinced but they show no signs of religious fervor or even real interest in religion besides kneeling down in front of a tree like twice in the first seasons.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Agreed, it reminded me of that scene in the diner from Looper where
Bruce Willis' character explains to his younger self (Joseph Gordon Levitt) to stop thinking so hard about the logistics of time travel, because "it doesn't matter", and then proceeds to pound his fists into the table, in an attempt to drive the point home, since the writer didn't actually have a point to make.

Looper was of course written and directed by film making legend Ruin Johnson, who then went on to light speed torpedo the entire Star Wars canon and franchise with The Last Jedi. Strangely enough, both D&D and RJ employed the same hacky dialogue to try and cover up anyone trying to think about it. Just shut your mouth and drink it up peasants, no thought process allowed!
Funny thing about Looper, I thought it was a pretty decent flick when I saw it, which gave me some glimmer of hope when I heard that Rian was going to do Star Wars. I assumed that the comments about time travel were super on the nose meta commentary, and so I gave it the "ah, they're very self aware" pass. After the piece of shit that was The Last Jedi, however, I don't think I can give Rian Johnson the benefit of the doubt anymore, and Looper has retroactively become slightly worse.

Trojita

I haven't read the books, but as for the TV show besides telling us from time to time there are religions and besides Stannis and the other Lord of Light related characters, barely anyone seems invested in religion. We also only ever see proof that The Lord of Light is real. Why anyone in the North would hold on to their old Gods when literal miracles are happening from The Lord of Light is anyone's guess. I'd suggest their religious fervor is too strong to let them be convinced but they show no signs of religious fervor or even real interest in religion besides kneeling down in front of a tree like twice in the first seasons.
Most of the real magic, as magic was coming back to the world after the meteor/dragon eggs opening, has been out of view for most citizens throughought the realm. Just going by the books so ignoring the very public revival of Jon in the show that hasn't happened yet, most acts of supernatural have only been glimpsed by a few in the immediate area. Beric Dondarrion's reapparances were regarded as myth or legend, no one but those within The Brotherhood without Banners knew what was going on.

In the books there is a POV chapter of Melisandre where we see some of her thoughts. We find out that her magic isn't actually all that powerful and she routinely uses parlor tricks mixed in to appear far more formidable.

Even Stannis forces don't know about the fuckery involving Shadow Stannis.

There's also the question that can be asked that with magic having returned to the realm, if these are miracles provided by a Lord of Light deity or if these are lost magic capable of being performed again and only just being attributed to a specific deity. Also there's the question on whether LoL and The Great Other are actual deities or just very powerful beings that can bestow gifts or magic.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It's also really odd how little of a role religion plays in the series. It seems like 90% of the characters are atheists. Pretty odd considering the setting.
I think it's just the show being the show. Like a lot of the magical and fantasy elements, much of the emphasis on religion has been lost from the book to the show. Themes like the old gods of the FIrst Men via the weirwood trees VS the new gods of the Andals with their seven pointed stars and septs. The god of ice and death (presumably represented by the White Walkers) VS the god of fire and life (presumably the Lord of Light and Mel's religion).

The hidden history of the old gods seems to tie into the grand backstory of the Children of the Forest, the White Walkers, the Night's Watch, and whatever it is Bran is going to do in the books. In the show...eh, that all went kaput in episode 3.

The importance of the Light of the Seven and the new gods for the rest of Westeros is a device to show the reader how much of a toll war has taken on the land and how the smallfolk cry out for peace, mercy, and justice while trying to make sense of the chaos. It's what leads to the rise of the Sparrows and the High Sparrow. That + Cersei's idiocy lead to the reinstatement of the Faith Militant, and so on and so forth. The impact of war on the people and their embracing of religion was shown quite well in that episode where we were reintroduced to Sandor Clegane, even though that arc only lasts for one episode and he goes right back to doing what he does best.

Like Sandor's path to peace, the plot threads of the High Sparrow, the Faith Militant, the Tyrells, Kevan Lannister, etc get tossed by the wayside at the end of season 6 when Cersei blows up the Sept of Baelor with wildfire. Why bother fleshing these plots out when we have a series ending to rush to? Burn them all. No consequences whatsoever, no one cares Cersei blew up the pope and their Notre Dame. No one cares Cersei murdered a whole shit load of lords and smallfolk. Let's just make her queen, um alright then. In terms of spectacle, great stuff. In terms of story, erm....not so much.

Then Cersei proceeds to do fuck all for the next two seasons as we wait for Dany's terrible advisors and the White Walkers to whittle down her army so it'll be a fair fight, even though it doesn't matter because they magically regenerate and oh look one dragon can take out the entire city single handedly anyway.

They made a mistake in giving book Aegon's "love of the people" plot thread to Jon in the show. They should have given it to Margaery. Let her survive the explosion. Let her rise up and retake power from Cercei. Let her turn King's Landing into a prosperous city again. That way, when Dany arrives to Westeros, it is more believable that the has an existential crisis when she sees that the people already have a queen that they love (Margaery), and that her role has become the Usurper.

Nah fuck it, let's make her go crazy because of crazy genes and bells 'n shit.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm gonna start watching a game of thrones.

Back when it first came out I thought it was some sorry ass fairy tale show with magic and dragons. I enjoy shows like breaking bad and better call Saul.

But I'm upset over missing out on all this hype. So I'm gonna give it another shot to see if I see it differently.

Gonna crack open a couple and watch the whole series starting tomorrow with a friend who's already up to date.
There's a lot of characters and families to keep track of. Its very common to learn more if you rewatch S1 after you've gotten through the first few seasons. Marathoning it all in a row may be overwhelming.

Trojita

If Dany does go the tyrannical route in the books I could see her interaction with Maester Marwyn, if he ever gets to her, being an example of her sliding into tyranny.

Here's how I imagine it will go.

Marwyn: Hello I am Marwyn, a Maester from Old Town, that has come to serve you.
Dany: A Maester from Old Town? I had a follower in my retinue that said she was taught there.
Marwyn: What was there name, mayhaps I would know of them?
Dany: Mirri Maz Duur
Marwyn: Mirri? What a small realm, I taught her everything she knows!
Dany: Dracarys!

bitbydeath

Season 9

Story continues where it left off and it is Brans crowning day. Sansa offers a gift that she pins to his shirt, the Night Kings blade..

Bran snaps out of his vision with a semi and the Night Kings dagger plunged in his chest. He’s still at the battle of winterfell under the tree dying. Theon is decapitated.

As Bran dies the camera pans up to see Winterfell overrun. Everyone dying. Arya is nowhere to be seen. Jamie and Tyrion are dead. Mellisandre conjurs another shadow which Night King reaches into and pulls her out, snapping off her necklace and killing her. Jon and Dany are escaping on dragons. Brienne, Sansa, The Hound and Tormund are fleeing on foot. Winterfell is lost. Everyone else is dead.

The Night King pillages and kills everything along the way to Kings Landing. Including Catelyns family and the boy who sucked his moms teet.

Tormund dies st Winterfell defending Brienne who dies protecting Sansa. The hound battles his brother. Zombie Jamie kills Cersei. Kings Landing is done.

Jon and Dany are with the Greyjoys. Bran shows back up permanently warged into a dragon. Dead can’t cross but zombie dragon can. Bran and zombie dragon fight it out over the ocean in front of the iron islands. Bran dies. Kraken leaps up and drags zombie dragon down.

Jon, Dany and Greyjoys return to fight the Night King. Arya has their face and has been depleting their army by killing the generals.

Jon dies killing the Nights King, Dany survives with her dragon, Arya survives. And Sansa shows up. Sansa wants the crown and Drogon who is actually now Bran as he shifted again kills his sister protecting Dany.

Dany is pregnant, ends with her having twins.

Dargor

Season 9

Story continues where it left off and it is Brans crowning day. Sansa offers a gift that she pins to his shirt, the Night Kings blade..

Bran snaps out of his vision with a semi and the Night Kings dagger plunged in his chest. He’s still at the battle of winterfell under the tree dying. Theon is decapitated.

As Bran dies the camera pans up to see Winterfell overrun. Everyone dying. Arya is nowhere to be seen. Jamie and Tyrion are dead. Mellisandre conjurs another shadow which Night King reaches into and pulls her out, snapping off her necklace and killing her. Jon and Dany are escaping on dragons. Brienne, Sansa, The Hound and Tormund are fleeing on foot. Winterfell is lost. Everyone else is dead.

The Night King pillages and kills everything along the way to Kings Landing. Including Catelyns family and the boy who sucked his moms teet.

Tormund dies st Winterfell defending Brienne who dies protecting Sansa. The hound battles his brother. Zombie Jamie kills Cersei. Kings Landing is done.

Jon and Dany are with the Greyjoys. Bran shows back up permanently warged into a dragon. Dead can’t cross but zombie dragon can. Bran and zombie dragon fight it out over the ocean in front of the iron islands. Bran dies. Kraken leaps up and drags zombie dragon down.

Jon, Dany and Greyjoys return to fight the Night King. Arya has their face and has been depleting their army by killing the generals.

Jon dies killing the Nights King, Dany survives with her dragon, Arya survives. And Sansa shows up. Sansa wants the crown and Drogon who is actually now Bran as he shifted again kills his sister protecting Dany.

Dany is pregnant, ends with her having twins.

Were you trying to make a worst ending than what we got?

If so...congratulations!

This is the only true ending that I believe in:

In a perfect world, this would be the true ending, but we don't live in that world.
rsz_o08pp5r.png

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

He also says he argued with Benioff and Weiss over the battle’s dearth of impactful deaths. “I wanted to kill everyone,” he says in news that really makes us wish he were running the show. “I wanted to kill Jorah in the horse charge at the beginning. I wanted it to be ruthless, so in the first 10 minutes you could say all bets are off, anyone could die. But David and Dan didn’t want to. There was a lot of back and forth on that.” Sapochnick says he eventually relented because “there comes a point when they dig in and you just don’t want to be there.”

They really should have killed more people. The plot armor was ridiculous.

Character is swarmed by zombies - cut away - cut back - character is still fighting

bitbydeath

They really should have killed more people. The plot armor was ridiculous.

Character is swarmed by zombies - cut away - cut back - character is still fighting

Brienne even got so overwhelmed at times that she started getting bit but in the next cut she’s fine.

Top Bottom