• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones Season 8 |OT| A Song of Icy and Fiery Fandom

cormack12

Gold Member
bBh1fal.png

Note:
- Once something airs in the US on the East Coast, it's fair game to post about;
- This thread is purely to discuss the ongoing final season of Game of Thrones;
- Any video/text from HBO previews, loglines, trailers, interviews etc. that has any reference to plot should be spoilered;
- No spoilers/leaks etc;
- No speculation based on books;
- Fan speculation based on what we know as to the current airtime is fine. Do not speculate on the basis of leaked/external data (e.g. character A is in the cast list for Ep 6 so must not die in precarious position of Ep 2;

f6xSmrs.png

The Schedule
Episode 1: Winterfell: 60 mins // 14.04.19 // Discussion starts
Episode 2: A knight of the seven kingdoms: 60 mins // 21.04.19 // Discussion starts
Episode 3: The Long Night: 80 mins // 28.04.19 // Discussion starts
Episode 4: The Last of the Starks: 80 mins // 05.05.19 // Discussion starts
Episode 5: The Bells: 80 mins // 12.05.19 // Discussion starts
Episode 6: The Iron Throne: 80 mins // 19.05.19 // Discussion starts

The Trailer(s)

Quick recap (end of season 7)
At the end of season seven, Cersei joined forces with Euron Greyjoy and his navy, and she sent for the Golden Company, the largest and most powerful mercenary army around. Although Jon Snow, Daenerys, Tyrion, and their cohort warned Cersei that the White Walkers are coming and Cersei promised them that she would help defend the living, Cersei is plotting to let the Night King decimate the Targaryen and Stark forces — and then to blitz what’s left of either side. Cersei is also pregnant with Jaime’s child, which gives her an heir to the throne.

Jaime learned that Cersei had no intention of actually sending the Lannister army north to help repel the White Walker army, despite Cersei “promising” to do so. Cersei called Jaime an idiot for what’s ostensibly going to be seen as doing the right thing and fighting for the living. He realized that Cersei loves power more than anything or anyone, and doesn’t see morality as part of that equation. Jaime abandons her at King’s Landing and heads North to fight against the White Walkers.

Tyrion is still advisor to Dany, but he seems to be in a tenuous position as Dany’s relationship with Jon Snow grows stronger.

The mountain still serves as Cersei’s silent and possibly undead bodyguard. He’s still very creepy, very quiet, and very into protecting Cersei.

Euron Greyjoy killed two of the Sand Snakes, then delivered Ellaria Sand and the last surviving Snake, Tyene Sand, to Cersei, while keeping Yara prisoner. At the end of season seven, he was sent by Cersei to transport the Golden Company, her newly hired mercenary army, back to King’s Landing.

In the season seven finale, Bronn explained to Tyrion that he’s loyal to himself, and whoever is paying him — which seems like Cersei for now.

After satisfyingly besting Littlefinger by surprising the manipulator, charging him with treason, and then slashing his throat, Arya and Sansa are awaiting their brother Jon’s return at Winterfell.

As season seven ended, Jon and Dany were on their way to Winterfell.

Bran (via the sight) was able to view the day in the past when Jon Snow was born, and - with the aid of Samwell Tarly’s research at the Citadel - now knows Jon Snow’s true parentage, that he’s a Targaryen, and that he’s the true heir to the throne.

By the end of season seven, with help from Bran, Sam put the puzzle pieces together and realized that Rhaegar had married Lyanna Stark, and had a son who is Jon Snow. Meanwhile, Samwell hasn’t yet found out about Dany turning his brother and dad into barbecued Tarlies. Yikes.

Brienne might have a crush on Tormund Giantsbane. Is still one of the best swordspeople in Westeros. Seems to be very impressed with Arya’s skills as they had a little sparring match when they met at Winterfell.

Dany finally consummated her relationship in the season finale with Jon, but it’s kinda weird since he’s really her nephew. At the end of season seven, Daenerys and Jon were on their way to the North to help defend it against the White Walker attack.

Viserion was raised back from the dead in the finale as a zombie dragon, and it will be a major sadness and shock for Dany when she finds out that Viserion is now fighting on the side of the undead. Viserion was the main reason the wall was finally breached along with The Night King

Missandei
and Greyworm, along with Dany’s army, were on their way to Winterfell, along with Jorah Mormont

Youtube recap (seasons 1-7 in 15 mins)

Tier I Returning Cast
0c8Jlyj.png
1PaqoOH.png
pwZEqmJ.png
OFPuGY2.png
i28NuLi.jpg

Tyrion / Jaime / Cersei / Daenerys / Jon

hPnEjtU.png
ZqUs4Td.png
l2NNsGD.png
bySE46C.png
W2G3c3R.png

Davos / Sansa / Arya / Theon / Missandei

It7497C.png
ZOEr3sH.png
OITb8Yj.jpg
QeaBDXk.png
dTM9nbW.png

Brienne / Samwell / The Hound / Varys / Melisandre

Jav1J3M.png
4bCsg0H.png
BcsLYB1.png
AFwziEL.png

Bronn / Jorah / Tormund / Bran

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
cormack12 cormack12

GargantuanUnlawfulAfricanclawedfrog-small.gif

Can't wait.

General wild speculative predictions: -

Given its only 6 episodes and where events placed everyone at the end of last season, I'm expecting the war in the North between the Night King and the forces of Men to come to a head in the first half of the season and ultimately result in a pyrrhic victory for the good guys, but with a heavy death toll , though this will mainly revolve around secondary characters. Fully expect at least one of Danys remaining Dragons to bite the dust fighting his undead brother.

The second half of the season will be the battle between the remainder of the northern forces fighting off the might of the Lannisters and Golden Company. They'll likely get soundly defeated and Jon and Dany will probably die but we'll undoubtedly get some Cleganebowl action (and I expect fire to play a big part in that fight) but just when Cersei thinks victory is mine, face-stealing Arya will belly shiv her something fierce and tick her off her list (though probably dying herself in the process)

As for who survives to rule the Seven Kingdoms and sit on the Iron Throne? Sansa & Tyrion (who'll end up married again to cement the alliance) or a twice resurrected but pretty fucked up Jon Snow sans Dany.

I look forward to being proven entirely wrong on this front :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Last edited:

Catphish

I just finished a complete rewatch of the entire series. Last night was S7/E7. I am so ready.

But I'm also a bit sad knowing that we're near the end. I'm gonna miss this show. There's nothing better on TV.

Tesseract

Banned
Season 7 was so bad it almost killed the entire show greatness.

I hope season 8 ends the show with the quality it deserves, but I'm not very optimistic.

ya season 7 was so ridiculously bad, coming off a pretty spectacular season 6

here's hoping they get it back on track

Kadayi

Banned
Season 7 was so bad it almost killed the entire show greatness.

I hope season 8 ends the show with the quality it deserves, but I'm not very optimistic.

I get the criticisms of Season 7, but to be honest, if GRRM has not spent the last 6 years procrastinating, and instead spent more of his time just writing the remaining books the showrunners would likely have had a lot more material to work off of versus the broad outline he gave them to wrap the series up around season 5 onwards. Ultimately it is what it is, so you might as well buckle up and enjoy the ride because let's be frank here, it's increasingly likely that GOT will prove to be the only conclusion to ASOIAF. When GRRM agreed to the series he knew the timeline as far as the production schedule went and how much time he had, but rather than focus on the task in hand he'd rather spent his time having his ego sucked at conventions, or line the pockets of the gruesome twosome from Westeros.org with their History of Westeros books. Before they came on the scene he was averaging a book every two years, once they got their hooks into him the drop off was notable in terms of the turnaround when their 'fact checking' started to come to the fore.

Last edited:
I have to wait till Monday evening.. like every year and it pisses me off as it means I have to stay off reddit, forums and discords. All the discussions are over by the time I can watch it. lol

ya season 7 was so ridiculously bad, coming off a pretty spectacular season 6
I must be seeing a different Game of Thrones.

Season 5 was the one that almost broke its neck with that dreadful Dorne subplot where Jamie and Bron were wandering through the desert... with the butchered Sand Snakes and everything around it. Season 6 had the continuation of the super bad House of Black and White subplot with Arya... it was painfully obvious that the show runners kinda lost the books and had to wing everything themselves. Both Season 5 and 6 had great final episodes with Hardhome and Cersei blowing everyone up, though, but the seasons overall were worse than Season 7 in my opinion.

Jon Neu

Banned
I must be seeing a different Game of Thrones.

Season 5 was the one that almost broke its neck with that dreadful Dorne subplot where Jamie and Bron were wandering through the desert... with the butchered Sand Snakes and everything around it. Season 6 had the continuation of the super bad House of Black and White subplot with Arya... it was painfully obvious that the show runners kinda lost the books and had to wing everything themselves. Both Season 5 and 6 had great final episodes with Hardhome and Cersei blowing everyone up, though, but the seasons overall were worse than Season 7 in my opinion.

You certainly must have watched a different GoT, because while season 5 was the second worse season, season 6 was definitely pretty good, with probably the best episode of the series so far and definitely didn't destroy anything of importance plot wise, like season 7 did.

Season 7 is literally everything horrendous except the loot train, the reunion between Tyrion and Cersei and the brief scene of Jaime seeing the snow falling, everything else was ATROCIOUSLY bad. The stupidest plot ever in Winterfell in which they make me hate Arya and Sansa for being so incredibly stupid and the writers for their convoluted bullshit. The absolutely humilliation of one of the greatest characters of the show being killed by those dumb girls just like if he became stupid as hell too. Littlefinger didn't deserved that Winterfell plot, who the fuck wrote that fucking SHIT. The absolute trash that was that episode called Beyond the wall, with the Night King losing his menacing figure by playing the fucking olympics with Viserion in another facepalming scene. They even put a fucking wight bear for whom nobody cares, while ignoring an actual important, charismatic and loved character named GHOST. And all because that brilliant masterplan of risking everybody's lives to bring a wight to King's landing so Cersei can start to believe in white walkers. That atrocious bullshit that was Danny and Jon falling in love with the worst chemistry and build up ever. Bran becoming so tall, ugly and bad at acting is literally distracting and diminished the absolutely ominous importance of his character . Euron continued to be an irrelevant buffon, Tyrion continued to be a shadow of himself, Brienne did nothing except that facepalming anime style fight with Arya that was incredibly cringey.

Season 7 was so bad, even the writers of Rick & Morty declared it's death.

uploads%252Fcard%252Fimage%252F576075%252Fe2f39e65-97d5-4b76-84ec-6bd40299a2f1.jpg%252F950x534__filters%253Aquality%252890%2529.jpg

Pagusas

Elden Member
What is this rediculous looking dare format the OP is using? Either do YYYY/MM/DD or MM/DD/YYYY. This world has no place for DD/MM/YYYY.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Good OP and thanks for the recap. It's been awhile so I am glad the final season is finally here.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I used to sneak watch GoT before watching it with my wife, and then I had to pretend to be surprised by events
I have to do that with my girlfriend. I have HBO Go but it shows if you watched something. So I have to try and pirate it tomorrow night, then rewatch it Thursday lol.

Jon Neu

Banned
Dan Harmon the same guy who declared that a third of the US populace were Nazis? Not exactly a pinnacle of critical thinking tbh :unsure:

I don't know who that is, but let's not forget that the GoT writers said there were going to tone down the nudity and violence against women.

cormack12

Gold Member
I'm still a sucker for thinking parallels are going to be drawn between what went before and what is coming. I included the quote from Sansa as well just for pure speculation. That first line

'When the snows fall.....'

Snows. Could this be reference to Ramsey and Jon? We would have assumed the 'Lone Wolf' was Jon, but know we know he is not a Stark now, but a Targaryen. Can Bran and even, Arya still be considered Starks except in name only? Pure fanfic below.....

I think Jon will become the new Night King. His fate will be to sit at the throne in the North, for without the wall, he is the only person who can rule with no ambition to conquer the living. He will replace Brandon Stark and will sit out his days in solitude. He will take Viserion and Ghost as his own, as homage to his most influential bloodlines.

Dany will be furious and overcome and march to King's Landing, driven mad by grief and sorrow of losing Jon. She will unleash the full power of her army and remaining dragon(s) against Cersei. The Hound will face off against the Mountain. The Hound will best him but Cersei will have some trick, or something obscure will occur like the reign of fire crippling the Hound. Just as Cersei is about to claim the Hounds life, the Mountain (in the Kingsguard) will kill Cersei (Queenslayer), saving his brothers life.

Eventually Dany will end up on the iron throne, amidst the falling ash of her conquest in the ruins of KL, Jaime will return and see his unborn heir murdered. Driven by rage he will use his newly formed allegiance to get close to Dany before killing her (he will assume it was Dany who killed her). It will come to light of Gendry's lineage after this and will end with a Baratheon on the throne again.

News will reach Jon eventually who will be pissed. He will rise up and Winter will approach.

giphy.gif

JimiNutz

Banned
With there being less episodes this season are we expecting this season to really hit the ground running? I don't want there to he any kind of 'wasted' time and am hoping that the first episode of the season has a major talking point. Maybe I'm expecting too much?

Jon Neu

Banned
Jon is not going to be the Night King.

Almost everyone will die, but then Bran will go back in time and sacrifice himself to stop the White Walkers. He will die and merge with the weirwoods and everybody alive on the north will remember him, because the north remembers.

And Sam will remember all this, while reading his book to a few of young maester's apprentices in the citadel to whom he has been reading his book. A book that bears the title of "A Song of Ice & Fire".

The end.

Kadayi

Banned
I don't know who that is, but let's not forget that the GoT writers said there were going to tone down the nudity and violence against women.

Really? Dan Harmon is the creator and writer of Rick & Morty. Also, I'm not sure why people feel its necessary for fiction works for adults to kowtow to the overzealous demands of a snowflake triggered press, that is prone to find offence in anything and everything dependent on how they feel the Twitter blows. Where were the articles outraged at all the men killed in the loot train? Or the Battle of the Bastards? *tumbleweeds*

With there being less episodes this season are we expecting this season to really hit the ground running? I don't want there to he any kind of 'wasted' time and am hoping that the first episode of the season has a major talking point. Maybe I'm expecting too much?

I think Episode 1 despite being 60 minutes will be setting the table in terms of where everyone is in Westeros and having many meeting for the first time or be reunited (undoubtedly a few awkward meetings for sure). Predictions: -

We're invariably getting Dany arriving at Winterfell, meeting Sansa, Arya & Cosmic Bran, plus Jon hasn't seen Arya or Cosmic Bran since season 1 so they have a lot to catch up on. Plus of course, the revelation for all that Jon has aligned with her and bent the knee, which is likely to go down like a wet fart in a convent with the northern lords and the Knights of the Vale. On a lesser note, we probably have Ser Jorah meeting Lady Mormont (who I presume is a niece or some such,?) which should be good as she's a firm favourite with viewers. Gendry & Arya, the Hound and Sansa, and Jon with Sam & Gilly also Tyrion & Sansa.

Thormund and Beric should get to Castle Black and sound the alarm about what happened at Eastwatch with the army of the dead, so the realm should know once the raven's get out.

I expect the Golden Company will turn up in Kings Landing along with Euron because There's not a lot of plotting and scheming Cersei can do with just Qyburn alone, and we know that Lena Headey (Cersei) won't act with Jerome Flynn (Bronn) due to an acrimonious split in real life apparently. Hopefully, they'll have Bronn head north with Jamie, though given Bronn's largely motivated by money I'm not sure how they'll manage that (Maybe Cersei tries to have him killed?). Regardless though. It's a long way to Winterfell so I doubt we'll get either of those two turn up at the castle gates until episode 2 or 3. No Jamie meeting Bran awkwardness quite yet.

JimiNutz

Banned
I think Episode 1 despite being 60 minutes will be setting the table in terms of where everyone is in Westeros and having many meeting for the first time or be reunited (undoubtedly a few awkward meetings for sure). Predictions: -

We're invariably getting Dany arriving at Winterfell, meeting Sansa, Arya & Cosmic Bran, plus Jon hasn't seen Arya or Cosmic Bran since season 1 so they have a lot to catch up on. Plus of course, the revelation for all that Jon has aligned with her and bent the knee, which is likely to go down like a wet fart in a convent with the northern lords and the Knights of the Vale. On a lesser note, we probably have Ser Jorah meeting Lady Mormont (who I presume is a niece or some such,?) which should be good as she's a firm favourite with viewers. Gendry & Arya, the Hound and Sansa, and Jon with Sam & Gilly also Tyrion & Sansa.

Thormund and Beric should get to Castle Black and sound the alarm about what happened at Eastwatch with the army of the dead, so the realm should know once the raven's get out.

I expect the Golden Company will turn up in Kings Landing along with Euron because There's not a lot of plotting and scheming Cersei can do with just Qyburn alone, and we know that Lena Headey (Cersei) won't act with Jerome Flynn (Bronn) due to an acrimonious split in real life apparently. Hopefully, they'll have Bronn head north with Jamie, though given Bronn's largely motivated by money I'm not sure how they'll manage that (Maybe Cersei tries to have him killed?). Regardless though. It's a long way to Winterfell so I doubt we'll get either of those two turn up at the castle gates until episode 2 or 3. No Jamie meeting Bran awkwardness quite yet.

Yeah these are all solid predictions. I'm hoping that we maybe get to see some Walker armies making their way through smaller towns and villages as well so that we get some action in this first episode as well.

Kadayi

Banned
Yeah these are all solid predictions. I'm hoping that we maybe get to see some Walker armies making their way through smaller towns and villages as well so that we get some action in this first episode as well.

If we do it will be towards the end, and probably involve randoms. You need that calm before the storm for everyone to say their hellos and share their news before they realise the shit has hit the fan and the dead are through the wall and marching on Winterfell.

JimiNutz

Banned
If we do it will be towards the end, and probably involve randoms. You need that calm before the storm for everyone to say their hellos and share their news before they realise the shit has hit the fan and the dead are through the wall and marching on Winterfell.

Yeah I do definitely agree with this all.
I'm just thinking that since the season is shorter in terms of the episode numbers it may have a slightly faster pace than usual per episode and this opening episode may cover more than the usual opening episode. I'm definitely not expecting any big battles or major deaths, nor do I want that, but I am hoping for a little more action than usual in a season opener considering this is the last season and we only have six episodes.

I used to sneak watch GoT before watching it with my wife, and then I had to pretend to be surprised by events
I’ve done this. She was too tired and wanted to watch the next evening.

“Ok honey. I’m gonna stay up and watch tv. Good night love you”.

The next evening...

“Wow I totally didn’t think he was gonna die” :messenger_halo:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Why use such nonsensical formats when he is already using the correct one?

Because its not the correct one. Year first makes sense if you want to organize data in chronological order with the Years being an important value in the sorting (Database sorting, basically any computer function, data presentations showing multiple years). Month first makes sense when you care more about the individual makeup of a singular year (Photo Album sorting, bank statement sorting, expenses, project sorting at work). Day first makes no sense as you cant sort it without a system that knows to bypass the first 2 digits and look to the month or year first. You'll just end up with 01/01/1999, 01/02/1999, 01/03/1999 and so forth, worthless.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I actually work in tech so prefer the 20190131 format, but you might have heard of Brexit? We took back control and quite frankly now run the world. And you for one, should welcome your new British overlords.

Vinter

I really hate that they used a dragon to breach the wall. Nightking with a fucking ice spear was such a stupid thing to watch. Hope they resolve it differently in the books if we ever get there. Still pretty excited to see the last season

Last edited:

G-Bus

Banned
Just signed up to that crave + movies + HBO and got the first 3 months free. Only wanted it for GoT so I'm happy.

Kind of wish I went back and watched a couple of the last episodes in season 7. Guess I'll settle for something on youtube to jog my memory.

O-N-E

Ok, wild guess at the final Throne situation (and kind of hopeful thinking)....

No Iron Throne, No title of King or Queen, but the title of Lord Protector stays as a temporary position and he or she is voted in by the small council which has a representative from each of the seven realms. Tyrion is first as Lord Protector.

Valonquar

I predict a Deadwood style ending where evil wins and the audience is left agape with disbelief.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
First episode was ok I guess.
Now the pleasantries and formalities are out of the way they need to get going though, we're running out of time!

I´ve been saying this since the dawn of time but I really wish Theon had died in captivity ages ago as it´s just not possible for me to buy into his redemption arc at all. He was a totally insufferable douchebag for the first however many seasons of the show before he essentially became a punching bag and excuse for the writers to throw in some pedestrian "Hey get a load of Johnny no-dick over here" joke into every other episode.

Every time this dude gets screen time I just wonder why he is still involved at all. I just know he´s gonna go out in some stupid blaze of glory and that´s somehow going to justify having to watch him mumble and stumble his way through 8 motherfucking seasons of television. Truly the be-all end-all of redemption arcs. :lollipop_expressionless:

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
I´ve been saying this since the dawn of time but I really wish Theon had died in captivity ages ago as it´s just not possible for me to buy into his redemption arc at all. He was a totally insufferable douchebag for the first however many seasons of the show before he essentially became a punching bag and excuse for the writers to throw in some pedestrian "Hey get a load of Johnny no-dick over here" joke into every other episode.

Every time this dude gets screen time I just wonder why he is still involved at all. I just know he´s gonna go out in some stupid blaze of glory and that´s somehow going to justify having to watch him mumble and stumble his way through 8 motherfucking seasons of television. Truly the be-all end-all of redemption arcs. :lollipop_expressionless:
Agreed. Theon is useless.

bitbydeath

Episode was too short.
We only have five episodes left and that one felt wasted. Don’t get me wrong it was great seeing everyone reuniting but time is of the essence here.

I guess now most everyone is together they can now kill them all quicker but they need less time on who’s going to be the ruler of the seven kingdoms since we have such fewer time left.

Am surprised Samwell took his families demise as hard as he did. He’s never fitted in with them and he’s always been treated like garbage by them.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Good episode, but certainly not great. The writing still feels like season 7. The reunions I've been waiting for all happened this episode - every single one - and every single one of them disappointed. To have had such little emotional impact with so many moments that could've been the big moments of other episodes brings me to the sad realisation that Game of Thrones is going to limp to the finish line. I'm just here for the spectacle now, the electric character driven drama died in dumpster fire of the previous season. #TeamNightKing.

betrayal

Banned
Started slow, but was ok. Found it to be a little bit to unemotional on the actors side after such a big reunion.

I think about half of the main characters will die and Cercei will fight for the living at the end (after killing many people). Heard it here first. :messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:

Ellis

Might have to look for a 5 minute recap on Youtube. Can barely remember last season outside of Jaime stuff.

Top Bottom