• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones Season 8 |OT| A Song of Icy and Fiery Fandom

Kadayi

Banned
That dragon ride was totally unnecessary holy shit. Pretty bland episode, as expected.

I think the purpose of the scene was two-fold. Firstly to cement that there is a hidden relationship going on and that neither of them has revealed it to anyone else. Secondly that the Dragons at least recognise Jons True Heritage.

I'll do a proper long post about the episode tomorrow. With Notre Dame burning down, I'm not really in the mood atm. :messenger_anguished:

Just watched it. Decent episode. Felt more evenly paced like episodes from the first 5 seasons, just sucks knowing we don't have much time left.

"Waiting for an old friend."

Oh Bran, you got me there.

What's the deal with the weapon that Arya requested? Isn't she already "geared up" pretty well?

JimiNutz

Banned
I didn't like how it was no big deal how Jon can ride a dragon. We know Jon is a targ. But she doesn't. She should have shown some surprise. Or does she think anyone can mount a dragon?

I thought the same. Surely Jon riding a dragon would have sent some alarm bells off for Danny. She obviously loves his dick so much that she's oblivious to the implications, or maybe she just doesn't care?

Kadayi

Banned
What's the deal with the weapon that Arya requested? Isn't she already "geared up" pretty well?

In the series trailers, you see her wielding a spear. Makes sense given her training with the faceless men, plus she's a shortie so some dragon glass killing distance weapon makes a lot of sense. Needle isn't going to be much use to her against the undead, so Spear for distance, and her Valarian Steel dagger for up close and personal.

JimiNutz

Banned
I didn't like how it was no big deal how Jon can ride a dragon. We know Jon is a targ. But she doesn't. She should have shown some surprise. Or does she think anyone can mount a dragon?

I thought the same. Surely Jon riding a dragon would have sent some alarm bells off for Danny. She obviously loves his dick so much that she's oblivious to the implications, or maybe she just doesn't care?

Kadayi

Banned

She clearly isn't clued in yet. Book spoiler ahead: - In the books that make it a bit more obvious that the Dragons are a tad picky about people

Last edited:

Mithrarin

Neo Member
Bran: The Night King has a dragon now and the wall is down

Jon and Daenerys: Seriously? Oh well, who cares. . . let's go for a ride with the dragons and have sex. The reaction to the big news was underwhelming to say the least.

Pretty bland episode, as expected.

I actually like this kind of episode. This is an "all about The Game" episode, the pacing/tone felt more like something from Season One. I like that a lot, except in this case knowing we literally have just a handful left it felt like "we don't really have time for this" to me.

I have a question for the book readers, how closely is Bran portrayed in the show vs the book? I feel like he's been underused or completely absent for long periods of time in the show.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
Bran: The Night King has a dragon now and the wall is down

Jon and Daenerys: Seriously? Oh well, who cares. . . let's go for a ride with the dragons and have sex. The reaction to the big news was underwhelming to say the least.

They knew the Walkers were coming anyway, doesn't change that much.

Jon Neu

Banned
I have a question for the book readers, how closely is Bran portrayed in the show vs the book? I feel like he's been underused or completely absent for long periods of time in the show.

In the books Bran has all this ominous imagery around him, all this weird dreams and visions. Ee is also in love with Meera which makes the character more human and sympathetic.

bitbydeath

He isn’t that far along in the books yet. Still with the three-eyed raven back in the cave, along with Meera, Jojen and Hodor.

Jon Neu

Banned
f7549957737ee2d0fdc52d2376a6cfa86c7f0ca0v2_hq.jpg

I'm going to explain what I think is going to happen at the end. Spoilers just in case.

Remember Ygritte? The first true love of Jon Snow. They loved each other so much, Jon was truly happy for the first time in his life. That beautiful and isolated cave beyond the wall was the first time Jon had a sense of belonging.

giphy.gif

Yet when the time came, Jon was a man amongst ten thousand. His honor, his sense of duty deeply ingrained in him by his father and the admiration he felt for him, made Jon choose the Nightwatch instead of the beautiful and reckless she wildling kissed by fire.

Now, in the present, everybody is trashing the dragon ride scene. Everybody is saying that is irrelevant, but is it?

tumblr_ppzcqxTa731qf5hjqo7_500.gif

-We could live here for a thousand years and nobody would find us

Jon lost the love of his life once. He choose duty and honor over love, and he paid the price.

tumblr_n6x9keo34k1sfek61o2_500.gif

If he had to make the same decision again, would he still choose duty over love?

Maybe this time, he would choose to spend a thousand years with his love.

Like King & Queen in the North.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
I still subscribe to the theory that Tyrion is a Targaryen, hence the father's hatred and the mother could not survive his birth. But who knows.

I like the theory that says the opposite. With the most cruel of the ironies for Tywin, Tyrion is actually his only biological son.

Cersei and Jaime are bastards of the Mad King Aerys Targaryen. That's why they are incestuous, they literally have it in their blood.

And would add extra irony to the fact that Jaime killed his father.

The Kinslayer.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I like the theory that says the opposite. With the most cruel of the ironys for Tywin, Tyrion is actually his only biological son.

Cersei and Jaime are bastards of the Mad King Aerys Targaryen. That's why they are incestuous, they literally have it in their blood.

That is possible as well. Only issue, non Targaryen women cannot survive a Targaryen child birth from what I remember. Also, then Tyrion went to free the dragons, they just seemed to "know" and seemed to smell something in him.

I hope we find out one way or another.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I actually like this kind of episode. This is an "all about The Game" episode, the pacing/tone felt more like something from Season One. I like that a lot, except in this case knowing we literally have just a handful left it felt like "we don't really have time for this" to me.

And he's turning into a tree.

daveonezero

Banned
It had some good points and bad. I think they could have moved the story along a lot further though by changing somethings. The dragon ride, and other scenes were just awkward and not as well written as others.

Jon and Dan (and by their advisors) should have realized that the North wouldn't accept what is happening and do a marriage before getting to Winterfel. This would also make the news of Jon being Targaryen totally messed up and make a question if they should reveal it at all if he is already King.

I think they did a good job with the reunions but I think they should have had a lot more and also done a "war room" scene. To get this shit out of the way. Show how imminent the Night King and his army is. Having Bran, Sansa, Dani, Jon, Tyrion, Davos, Arya, Brienne, ect all in a room would have been sweet. I think its frustrating that Jon has been telling everyone that the "game" doesn't matter and doing this scene could have had that all come out and be over with.

Overall pretty good and didn't expect Jon to get the news he is stooping his aunt this soon but still at this point it doesn't matter an no one has any proof. The best course of action for him is to marry Dani and unite the kingdoms. I think as soon as he said "my queen" she should have returned the favor and recognized him as a King.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
Overall pretty good and didn't expect Jon to get the news he is stooping his aunt this soon but still at this point it doesn't matter an no one has any proof.

Sam's word is proof to Jon.

And nobody likes Daenerys to begin with, so they aren't going to be really hard to convince.

I’m doing a series rewatch now. It’s been awhile since I viewed the earlier seasons and I gave up on trying to read the books until after the show ends.

Couple little things I’m already noticing (or maybe I just think I am, you tell me). In episode 2 of season 1, Mormont is talking to Daeny and tells her that Dothraki (sorry if I’m spelling anything wrong, I ain’t the brightest bulb) believe this special kind of grass, “tall white grass” that nothing else can grow around, will spread everywhere and that’s how the world will end. Is this, could this, be a metaphor for the white walkers?

Also chuckled a little when Jaime is discussing news that Bran may live and says something like “give me a clean death instead of living like a cripple,” and obviously we know what happens to his hand.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. I’m not as dedicated a fan as many of you are, I’m sure, but I love the show and at least tell myself I’ll read the books one day. Just thought I’d share some thoughts.

Don’t worry I won’t do this everytime. I’m sure there’s many callbacks I’ll notice this time through

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
I was thinking last night that I'm fully with Jon, the Whites are the most important thing in this narrative now (or at least the most interesting). I actually don't give a fuck who ends up on the throne, Jon, Danny, Cersi, Sansa, fucking Gendry, I literally don't care either way.

At this point I just want to see and learn as much about the White Walkers as possible. How does the Night King get his Intel? Like in season 7 when he kills the dragon he purposely delays his attack/waits for Danny to appear - how did he know this was going to happen? Is there any chance that the Night King was once a Targ and can therefore sense Danny coming in to save the day on her Dragon? It def looks like it was a deliberate strategy/trap set to catch the dragon rather than just an opportunity that he seized?

Also I want to see more undead animals! Hoping for a Night King victory.

Why is Sansa Stark suddenly the smartest person, and sees herself as such by demeaning Tyrion? Sansa has been played like a drum for 7 seasons. That was a dumb bit of script writing right there that flies in the face of everything that came before. I know they ran out of source material but damn, stay consistent with the characters at least.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Caught up on this yesterday, don't feel a lot really happened. Sansa and Arya already look a little distrustful of Jon. So does he tell them sooner and risk the exile or keep it quiet and deal with thew fallout when it's revealed? Having said that, the North has already technically had a Targ on the throne who served them well so it might go in his favour. That they can be trusted.

I know I have my own speculation/guesses on Gendry but honestly I can't see what he's actually brought to the show. It's not even as though he's a great 'smith so offers something they desperately need. Arya's request for the weapon was interesting. She already has daggers etc. so the fact it's dragon glass must be important. But then she'd have to get close to the Night King. She'd need a face for that. But who's? Jons? Sansa's?

Why is Sansa Stark suddenly the smartest person, and sees herself as such by demeaning Tyrion? Sansa has been played like a drum for 7 seasons. That was a dumb bit of script writing right there that flies in the face of everything that came before. I know they ran out of source material but damn, stay consistent with the characters at least.

Agree, and it's even stranger Arya came to that conclusion within such a short space of time. I mean she 'outsmarted' LittleFinger but was that really believable. I guess 'love makes you blind' is an old saying but is a bit of a reach. It may be implied that she has learned from Littlefinger, Cersei, Tyrion, Ramsey, Varys etc but putting this into practise effectively still needs to be evidenced much harder.

I can't remember Theon's position either - when he rocks up at Winterfell aren't they going to crucify him? I know Jon's already made his version of peace with Theon, but isn't this a step too far?

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
Sansa mentioned that Tyrion was stupid to believe Cersei. I don’t think he is. I bet he will betray them and Bronn kills him

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Dragon ride was awful, but almost every fucking scene with those things is. We get it, you can CGI dragons in. Great. They still look terrible next to real people and they're the most boring plot device ever. How ever will we escape this impossible situation?! Gee, I wonder.

Aside from that, decent episode. Some things felt rushed - I assumed the Yara rescue mission was going to be Theon's big final story in the season, his redemption, but no, super easy rescue. I guess now they both go kill Euron.

DKehoe

Gold Member
That is possible as well. Only issue, non Targaryen women cannot survive a Targaryen child birth from what I remember. Also, then Tyrion went to free the dragons, they just seemed to "know" and seemed to smell something in him.

I hope we find out one way or another.

I don't think the thing about non-Targaryen women not being able to survive child birth is true. I'm sure there are other examples, but off the top of my head Alicent Hightower had four kids with Viserys I.

Last edited:

Honestly, this makes more sense 👇.

Last 3 minutes of the video

Armorian

Banned
Literally everyone except Americans use DD/MM/YYYY. it is also the format that makes the most sense going from the smallest timescale to the largest. It's also the British way of writing the date and everyone knows we invented time.

So that's why time is racist

Yeah, DD/MM/YYYY is the way to go, and metric over imperial (England invented that shit too :p)

bigedole

Sam asks Bran, "Hey, you can see the future, what's the forecast for tomorrow"

Bran stares at him with those deadpan eyes and replies, "6 to 7 inches of Snow."

At this point I just want to see and learn as much about the White Walkers as possible. How does the Night King get his Intel? Like in season 7 when he kills the dragon he purposely delays his attack/waits for Danny to appear - how did he know this was going to happen? Is there any chance that the Night King was once a Targ and can therefore sense Danny coming in to save the day on her Dragon? It def looks like it was a deliberate strategy/trap set to catch the dragon rather than just an opportunity that he seized?

I think the most popular theory is that the Starks have some kind of magic to their bloodline similar to the Targaryens, in the books I believe Jon and Arya could warg too in addition to Bran. It's thought that the original Night King was possibly an early Stark, or Bran goes back in time and Hodors him but gets stuck, and thus the Night King has his powers of the three eye'd raven so he knew that Danys would show up. There's a few different theories, it's fun to read about.

DKehoe

Gold Member
I was thinking last night that I'm fully with Jon, the Whites are the most important thing in this narrative now (or at least the most interesting). I actually don't give a fuck who ends up on the throne, Jon, Danny, Cersi, Sansa, fucking Gendry, I literally don't care either way.

Also I want to see more undead animals! Hoping for a Night King victory.

The Night King is an interesting one since he's not a figure in the books. The name is taken from the books but relates to a different person. In the books The Others don't seem to have any kind of leadership structure, or at least we haven't seen one so far. So it's hard to use the background information supplied by the books to make any kind of statement about him. Him being a Targaryen seems unlikely though. The Others (presumably led by The Night King then too) were around about 8000 years before the events of the show. The Targaryens only arrived in Westeros about 300 years ago. Before that they were a minor noble family in Valyria. The Valyrians were just a bunch of shepards until they discovered dragons around 6000 years before the events of the show.

JimiNutz

Banned
I think the most popular theory is that the Starks have some kind of magic to their bloodline similar to the Targaryens, in the books I believe Jon and Arya could warg too in addition to Bran. It's thought that the original Night King was possibly an early Stark, or Bran goes back in time and Hodors him but gets stuck, and thus the Night King has his powers of the three eye'd raven so he knew that Danys would show up. There's a few different theories, it's fun to read about.
The Night King is an interesting one since he's not a figure in the books. The name is taken from the books but relates to a different person. In the books The Others don't seem to have any kind of leadership structure, or at least we haven't seen one so far. So it's hard to use the background information supplied by the books to make any kind of statement about him. Him being a Targaryen seems unlikely though. The Others (presumably led by The Night King then too) were around about 8000 years before the events of the show. The Targaryens only arrived in Westeros about 300 years ago. Before that they were a minor noble family in Valyria. The Valyrians were just a bunch of shepards until they discovered dragons around 6000 years before the events of the show.

Both of these are interesting ideas and it's def fun to think about. I really hope the show gives us some answers or at least enough content for fans to come to their own conclusions. I just want to know more.

It's strange because I used to be put off by the fantasy elements of the show and much preferred the drama between the various different houses and characters but as the show has gone on I've found that I care far less about the game for the throne and am most interested in the mystery of the White Walkers/Others.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
A theory I've thought about. We've seen that spiral symbol the army of the dead have left behind since the pilot episode. Also saw it in season 6 when Bran sees the Night King's "birth." There was pattern of stones the same way in the pattern where the corpses were laid out in the pilot episode, and then in season 8 episode 1 with the body parts pinned to the wall.

Some think this is just "their symbol" and it won't have importance, but I think it will. Chronologically to the story, the first time it's revealed is season 6. I'm guessing it's some ritualistic symbol of the Children of the Forest. So why does The Night King/army of the dead keep leaving this behind? I'm guessing it's a hint to their goal, the one major reveal we've yet to discover. My feeling is The Night King wants to return to ground zero of when he was turned, where it all began. Maybe there's something there that can break the spell or there is a settlement of Children still living there that he can wipe out once and for all.

I even read one theory that the place he was turned(theorized to be the God's Eye) may be the main source of magic for the realm. That all the magic in the show, the "Lord of Light" resurrecting people, the Weirdwood trees supplying power, the White Walkers and their magic, etc. It all flows back to that one spot. And maybe the Night King wants to go there and destroy the magic source of the realm to either turn them all back to humans, or to prevent anything wicked from happening again in the future, and end the use of magic for all eternity.

I'm hoping it'll be something elaborate and they don't just turn the Night King into some cookie cutter villain who wants to kill everyone, that would be so lame.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
A theory I've thought about. We've seen that spiral symbol the army of the dead have left behind since the pilot episode. Also saw it in season 6 when Bran sees the Night King's "birth." There was pattern of stones the same way in the pattern where the corpses were laid out in the pilot episode, and then in season 8 episode 1 with the body parts pinned to the wall.

Some think this is just "their symbol" and it won't have importance, but I think it will. Chronologically to the story, the first time it's revealed is season 6. I'm guessing it's some ritualistic symbol of the Children of the Forest. So why does The Night King/army of the dead keep leaving this behind? I'm guessing it's a hint to their goal, the one major reveal we've yet to discover. My feeling is The Night King wants to return to ground zero of when he was turned, where it all began. Maybe there's something there that can break the spell or there is a settlement of Children still living there that he can wipe out once and for all.

I even read one theory that the place he was turned(theorized to be the God's Eye) may be the main source of magic for the realm. That all the magic in the show, the "Lord of Light" resurrecting people, the Weirdwood trees supplying power, the White Walkers and their magic, etc. It all flows back to that one spot. And maybe the Night King wants to go there and destroy the magic source of the realm to either turn them all back to humans, or to prevent anything wicked from happening again in the future, and end the use of magic for all eternity.

I'm hoping it'll be something elaborate and they don't just turn the Night King into some cookie cutter villain who wants to kill everyone, that would be so lame.

Is the symbol of a group of intergalactic genetic engineers in the previous books of GRRM.

GoT was Sci-fi from the beginning.

Kadayi

Banned
I think that there are some interesting things that came out of the episode, that a few people have picked up on across the interwebs. Firstly it's notable that Cosmic Bran considers it very important that Jon knows who he truly is right now, not after the war against the dead is waged and won but beforehand. From a viewer perspective, this might seem relevant, but we are talking Cosmic Bran here, a dude who's pretty much stepped past the trivial concerns of even being a Stark himself to look at wider issues last season. This isn't just about who rightfully sits on the Iron Throne, there's something more at play about this.

Secondly, Albeit Cersei has via Qyburn employed Bronn to seemly undertake what could perhaps be a spin on the sellswords challenge* Varys outlined to Tyrion back in Season 2, one thing, in particular, that was stipulated was that she was only concerned about her treasonous Brothers and not Daenerys because the queen had other plans for her. Which begs the question of what Plans? The writers have hinted at the return of an old cast member, mayhap we might see Jaquen Hagar back in some form? Perhaps a suggestion made by the Iron Bank as a contingency? After all, Braavos isn't that far away and I doubt the faceless men are entirely unknown to Westeros. I mean, after all, it's never been made clear what exactly Jaqen was doing in Westeros the first time, or for whom or how it is he was captured.

Thirdly, the fact that the White Walker spiral is coming to the fore once again is extremely notable. This is something that has dogged the series since the beginning and it begs the question, as to what it symbolises and who it is meant for. Why exactly is the Night King coming south? What is his intention? What is it he seeks exactly?

Finally, albeit I haven't looked into it too much myself some have said that the opening credits have some intriguing imagery in them in terms of the gold band images that have replaced those of the traditional houses fighting.

“In a room sit three great men, a king, a priest, and a rich man with his gold. Between them stands a sellsword, a little man of common birth and no great mind. Each of the great ones bids him slay the other two. ‘Do it,’ says the king, ‘for I am your lawful ruler.’ ‘Do it,’ says the priest, ‘for I command you in the names of the gods.’ ‘Do it,’ says the rich man, ‘and all this gold shall be yours.’ So tell me – who lives and who dies?”

Last edited:
BTW how do the dragons fly? I assume they are magical beings so they fly using magic. Their proportions and physical build vs gravity don't check out.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
BTW how do the dragons fly? I assume they are magical beings so they fly using magic. Their proportions and physical build vs gravity don't check out.
They have hydrogen sacks in their bodies like a swim bladder on a fish. This hydrogen is also what they use to breathe fire. When the Night King impaled Viseryon with that ice javelin, it pierced one of the hydrogen sacks, which is why it looked like the dragon was going down like the Hindenburg.

Mithrarin

Neo Member
They knew the Walkers were coming anyway, doesn't change that much.
I might have missed it last season, but they did definitely not except them to break the wall with a turned ice-dragon. There's no way they knew, except for Bran. Now they don't have to fight NK, his generals and wights but also a dragon. If these news get little to no reaction, I don't know what would.

Also, I do not understand Cersei's intention at this point. Sending Bronn to assassinate her brothers, when she had enough opportunity to execute them last season. And why instruct Bronn of all the people if you can find someone else who doesn't show affinity towards Tyrion and Jaime.

Kadayi

Banned
With the Return of GOT comes the return of Funny or Dies excellent Gay of Throne recap. Which if you haven't experienced up until now, you're missing out: -.

also Emergency Awesome with his top 10 WTF moments and Easter Eggs

Last edited:
My theory is that John will end up killing Danny because ever since the last three seasons they have been heavily hinting at her becoming just like her terrible father burning people. The scene last night perfectly exemplifies her unreasonably cruel nature and it directly had an effect on her allies with Sam. Danny is a terrible character now. She thinks the world is owed to her just like her arrogant brother

bigedole

My theory is that John will end up killing Danny because ever since the last three seasons they have been heavily hinting at her becoming just like her terrible father burning people. The scene last night perfectly exemplifies her unreasonably cruel nature and it directly had an effect on her allies with Sam. Danny is a terrible character now. She thinks the world is owed to her just like her arrogant brother

I'll eat my shorts if Jon kills Dany for this reason. The only remotely plausible theory that has him killing her is that it's necessary to turn his sword into lightbringer which he needs to kill the NK. There is NO WAY he's killing her for any other reason.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm one of the few who don't watch GoT, but have an idea what it is watching random YT vids.

Here's my guess for the ending (I read somewhere that if a White Walker Leader gets killed, so do the surrounding minions).

Therefore, at the end, Jon or the blonde chick riding dragons torch White Walkers and the Night King. So all other White Walkers get killed too. The End.

Last edited:
I'll eat my shorts if Jon kills Dany for this reason. The only remotely plausible theory that has him killing her is that it's necessary to turn his sword into lightbringer which he needs to kill the NK. There is NO WAY he's killing her for any other reason.
John is a good man and he will not sit by and watch her burn people to death simply because they didn’t “bend the knee” either he kills her or someone will betray her because this show is heavily hinting at her being the next mad Queen.

Top Bottom