• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Pass on Windows - My worst gaming experience ever!

Katsura

The windows app is in beta. You should have expected issues. I've had no issues downloading games. I have had the issue of games not launching but that seems to have disappeared. I will say the download speeds are only about half of what i get on Steam. I'm on a 1 gigabit up/down and i haven't seen higher than 20mb/s on Gamepass

Last edited:

cHaOs667

7kgXkA3.png

kWxGW4A.png
Have you tried to change your DNS? I think the issue are the DNS Servers provided from your ISP. Change them to the DNS Servers from Cloudflare or Google, restart your system and you should get way better downloading speed.

For me the servers from Microsoft are equally fast than the ones from Steam and I can download with my 100Mbps connection at full speed.

Helios

I mean none of this even has to pass through the Microsoft Store, there's a completely isolated Xbox app on PC...

Games seem to be downloading just fine as well..

TGiN5N7.png
okay, but like why the fuck is KC: D a 3/5 stars.

You're right, GFWL was slightly worse than this.

Just slightly.
I don't know about slightly. I have no love for the windows store but GFWL was the absolute worst piece of software I think I ever used. By comparison, the windows store might as well be God's gift to mankind.

GC_DALBEN

Its fine here, i had a problem with gears 4 a few years ago, redownloaded the game 3 times, but since then the store is fine.

Catphish

LOL no. So many driver issues, gpu driver issues. Configure issues, DRM etc.
Do what you want with your money, but these are not real concerns with modern PC gaming.

I bought my latest gaming rig like 5 years ago and I can count the problems I've had with it on one hand, and they were all resolvable with a little troubleshooting. Meanwhile, it utterly shits on the console experience.

To be fair I thought you were talking about PC gaming specifically.

The ghost of GFWL is still causing issues in 2020, so much so that Rockstar had to remove GTA IV from sale the other day:

Honestly I'd rather go back to launching DOS games via the command line before going back to the shit that was GFWL.

And now history is repeating itself with UWP with the same group of people (people who are primarily Xbox console gamers) valiantly defending it's shitness.

Time really is a flat circle.

Look at the top two rated reviews on Steam for sunset overdrive, it speaks volumes (ignore the self-plug) :

img_20200114_125335ywj0q.jpg

I bought the game again on Steam despite already owning it on Xbox and not being very fond of the game itself because I'm happy to show support for Microsoft doing the right thing as far as PC gaming is concerned.

I'd pay good fucking money to have gamepass not be tied to the shit stain that is the windows store along with it's partner in crime UWP, and I'm sure many others would. I shouldn't have to wrestle with file and folder permission settings in order to access the Metro Exodus benchmark .Exe so that I can go about optimising my settings in the most efficient way. Nor should I have to do the same thing to access .Ini files in games where things like the FOV setting is not in the options menu.

In this case you quite literally get what you pay for. It's not good enough.

/rant over

That's a big reason why I've always been a console gamer; Straight to the games, no fucking about. No random crashes, hackers, glitches, windows overriding shit, drive updates etc.

GHG

Gold Member
That's a big reason why I've always been a console gamer; Straight to the games, no fucking about. No random crashes, hackers, glitches, windows overriding shit, drive updates etc.

Not this shit again...

Makes me wonder why certain people even enter these threads let alone reply to them.

waylo

Banned
No crashing? News to me. How quickly we forget about Anthem BRICKING consoles, or Xboxes overheating and red ringing. No hacking or glitching? Is that why a lot of the current top players on the COD leaderboards are PS4 users with ridiculously impossible stats (10 years worth of playtime while the game has been out for a few months)? Windows does have hiccups at times, but so do console OS'es, and it's never that big of a hassle to fix unless you're completely brain dead. Also, totally forgot that consoles have OS updates and games have patches.

Seriously, this is the most 2002 ass argument ever.

Last edited:

I had issues when it first launched before the Xbox App even released. Had similar issues where it would start to download and then fail. I had some windows updates, installed them and its been fine ever since.

diffusionx

Gold Member
To be fair I thought you were talking about PC gaming specifically.

The ghost of GFWL is still causing issues in 2020, so much so that Rockstar had to remove GTA IV from sale the other day:

GFWL ended as a service in 2014. Most devs replaced GFWL with Steam or something else in the past six years. Blame Rockstar for not supporting their game properly.

GP for Windows works fine for me. The app is kind of slow and crappy but I can find games, install them, launch them, etc. - it works fine. And it's gotten better recently.

Last edited:
No crashing? News to me. How quickly we forget about Anthem BRICKING consoles, or Xboxes overheating and red ringing. No hacking or glitching? Is that why a lot of the current top players on the COD leaderboards are PS4 users with ridiculously impossible stats (10 years worth of playtime while the game has been out for a few months)? Windows does have hiccups at times, but so do console OS'es, and it's never that big of a hassle to fix unless you're completely brain dead. Also, totally forgot that consoles have OS updates and games have patches.

Seriously, this is the most 2002 ass argument ever.

You're right, I was too hastey to put no crashing. A few games on the X have crashed a lot of times, or at least shit out back to the dashboard.

Bolded: As for updates, they're done automatically on consoles (I know they are on Steam as well) but it's all the other bullshit that comes with Windows that pisses me off. If I could play games on Steam, without windows in the background, I would never console again.

For me, it's just easier to have a console. I've gotten used to it now so it's hard to swap to a decent PC, especially with the next gen of consoles on the horizon. It's more cost-effective to buy one of those than try and compete with a PC rig

Not this shit again...

Makes me wonder why certain people even enter these threads let alone reply to them.

Sorry for having an opinion or daring to post in the thread.

Last edited:

drotahorror

I feel for OP, but GAF isn't the place to find help. A lot of pieces of garbage here now that just troll or talk shit to you.

I've only ever had one issue with the MS Store, it was when I was pre-loading Gears 4. Had to download that fucker 4 or 5x on a 25Mb connection, 100+GB every time. Until I got a better connection the store would cripple my connection and not even cap out my bandwidth.

Everyone has heard of the nightmares from the store, so people actin like nothin is ever wrong are full of shit or just naive.

Microsoft, as a software and OS developing company, could learn a thing or 10 about storefronts and digital distribution.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

DESTROYA

While download speeds are not the greatest it works fine for me OP, I downloaded Gears 5 from the first day it was available with no problems, took a bitlonger than what Steam games download at but still worked.

Tumle

I would say that getting a 3.9MB/s download on a 20Mb/s connection is above what should be expected.. ;)

never had any problem with it.. so sorry about your experience.. but drop the hyperbole..

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I had an issue with forza horizon 4, it would do what you said but it turned out it was my graphics card wasn’t good enough. Got a new one and works perfectly. Check you specs is my suggestion

Raploz

I had an issue with forza horizon 4, it would do what you said but it turned out it was my graphics card wasn’t good enough. Got a new one and works perfectly. Check you specs is my suggestion

I have an i5 9400f, a RX 570 and 8GB of RAM. I think it should be enough. Maybe the RAM could be upgraded but it shouldn't prevent me from launching games.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
I had enough of Windows 10 new features and I disabled Windows Update, Cortana, Windows Search and Windows Defender. Funny thing is whenever I'd have issues with Xbox Store like the update error you mention, they'd be resolved after every Windows Cumulative Update, would reappear again and would be resolved after the next Cumulative Update. As if Microsoft were doing it on purpose to force you to update.

Not forgetting the countless System Restore points, eating space off the hard drive. On a desktop PC I still use a SATA3 HDD and Windows Cumulative Update to 1803 took me 4 hours! If I install Gamepass they'll require me to update to Windows v1900
which will take probably as long.

Xbox Store is awful because it forces games to be installed on the main drive , together with system services and updates, thus disk reading speed crawls. No way I'd install system demanding games.

Microsoft management have lost it and they think WIndows 10 updates are as easy and casual like Xbox and Playstation OS. Who cares if you cant use Office or Photoshop but you'll risk updating for a few games. Best solution would be a dual partition with vanilla W10 version for Xbox Store and Gamepass games. If you rely on Xbox Store and Gamepass it is like accepting you are not allowed to tinker with Windows 10.

Iukufumasi

Banned
I was subscribed for about three months (mostly played Forza Horizon 4 and Gears 5), and luckily didn't have any problems.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't windows store famous for being utter shit?
Why are you surprised op??

Yes, i'm surprised people here even tried to defend it.

It's not about Game Pass, which i'll try on PC very soon (so i'll verify how big of an issue is for me), but the Microsoft Store is known to be a wasteland originally designed to be the home of Universal Windows App and Xbox games, all in one place.

Turned out nobody cares about those apps, the whole UWP was a giant flop, and Microsoft left the Store broken and unfinished as they shifted their investment into other things.

JLB

Banned
Never had those issues OP, and Im from Argentina, which is a much worst location since MS datacenters are on Brazil (which seems to be your country of origin). Perhaps your internet connection is bogus?

Beelzebubs

I've been trying to get football manager working on it and I've not had any form of reply from customer services/tech support in over 2 months......

Last edited:
Well, I figured out that they had fixed it... last time I tried to get a game on it was the demo of Forza Horizon 4, it never came through.. or it took too long so I forgot about it...
The problem I had was with the Gamepass app itself not launching games but thats resolved now.
Well this is practical to have the service's basic features working at some point.

Have you tried to change your DNS? I think the issue are the DNS Servers provided from your ISP. Change them to the DNS Servers from Cloudflare or Google, restart your system and you should get way better downloading speed.
good thing you tell us that, maybe the service should fix itself... Steam, Epic, Gog, etc. all work with my current DNS servers, I don't even have to restart!

Shakka43

I have only played a handful of games through the Xbox app but they have all worked perfectly fine, downloads while not on par with steam are still fast enough.

manfestival

The windows app is in beta. You should have expected issues. I've had no issues downloading games. I have had the issue of games not launching but that seems to have disappeared. I will say the download speeds are only about half of what i get on Steam. I'm on a 1 gigabit up/down and i haven't seen higher than 20mb/s on Gamepass
Interesting, I have gig internet. I downloaded gears 5 super fast. It was like the old days of installing where it actually pushed my whole computer since it was actually using every resource to install the game(like a disc) rather than downloading faster than installing could happen.

Katsura

Interesting, I have gig internet. I downloaded gears 5 super fast. It was like the old days of installing where it actually pushed my whole computer since it was actually using every resource to install the game(like a disc) rather than downloading faster than installing could happen.
That is interesting. I'm not sure where their datacenters are located but i'm only 2 km from MS hq in Denmark and since i don't have this issue on Steam, i just assumed it was on their end but maybe i should try to tweak some settings

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I have an i5 9400f, a RX 570 and 8GB of RAM. I think it should be enough. Maybe the RAM could be upgraded but it shouldn't prevent me from launching games.

what ram on graphics card and maybe you need more Ram to run it tbh

GHG

Gold Member
what ram on graphics card and maybe you need more Ram to run it tbh

Hell be able to run it fine @ 1080p.

His specs aren't an issue for the game and are irrelevant for why a download isn't working as it should.

GFWL ended as a service in 2014. Most devs replaced GFWL with Steam or something else in the past six years. Blame Rockstar for not supporting their game properly.

It would be better if developers/publishers never had to go back and rectify this issue which is Microsoft's doing.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
The Microsoft store is absolute shit, I tried to repurchase Minecraft through windows and it was the last time I ever attempted to make a purchase so I will agree with you on that mess. I've had absolutely ZERO problems with Microsoft Game pass, I've played older games, brand new, no problems.

OP let's take a step back, you got network issues this is a given. What Hardware/OS are you utilizing, is there any potential complication there as well?

Raploz

The Microsoft store is absolute shit, I tried to repurchase Minecraft through windows and it was the last time I ever attempted to make a purchase so I will agree with you on that mess. I've had absolutely ZERO problems with Microsoft Game pass, I've played older games, brand new, no problems.

OP let's take a step back, you got network issues this is a given. What Hardware/OS are you utilizing, is there any potential complication there as well?

Nah, it's not my hardware. Hellblade on Steam worked perfectly fine (really good game btw), it's a software issue. Also my network is working fine as well. My complaint wasn't even the download speed, but it telling me it was downloading at 39 Mbps while my internet can't even reach those speeds. On Steam it downloaded at max (real) speed, the game itself was also smaller and everything worked with no setup required.

I made this topic only to tell my experience and see if it was only me who had problems. I don't expect to find a solution. I already gave up.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Nah, it's not my hardware. Hellblade on Steam worked perfectly fine (really good game btw), it's a software issue. Also my network is working fine as well. My complaint wasn't even the download speed, but it telling me it was downloading at 39 Mbps while my internet can't even reach those speeds. On Steam it downloaded at max (real) speed, the game itself was also smaller and everything worked with no setup required.

I made this topic only to tell my experience and see if it was only me who had problems. I don't expect to find a solution. I already gave up.

This is totally possible even if you dont "pay" for higher speeds FYI.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm sorry your experience is not what you hoped for. could it be your pc specs?

I did have an issue myself sometime ago. I was trying to download The Outer Worlds and it would always give me an error message or the screen you described. I found that the fix for me was reinstalling windows, because I did something to mess up my Microsoft Store app. There is a way to reinstall windows without losing all your data. I would look it up and give it a try.

diffusionx

Gold Member

Are you sure you aren't just confusing megabytes and megabits? Is your real speed approximately 39/8?

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
OP, regarding download speeds, you are confusing Megabits and Megabytes ;)

Edit: damn you, diffusionx :p

Last edited:

iorek21

Deve ser problema do lixo de internet brasileira que temos por aqui. Nem esquenta, já aconteceu comigo isso aí, depois volta a baixar numa velocidade razoável.

Ou pode ser coisa dos servidores da Microsoft no Brasil...

Last edited:

Raploz

Are you sure you aren't just confusing megabytes and megabits? Is your real speed approximately 39/8?

Yes, I'm sure. At 20Mbps it should download at 2,5 MBPS. It was showing me a speed of 38,9 Mbps on MS Store (3,9 megaBYTES on the Xbox Beta app), while the taskmanager was saying it was downloading between 4 and 10 megabits. 4 to 10 Mbps should give me a speed between 500 KBPS to 1,25 MBPS. It's confusing because it was really showing me the wrong download speed.

I'm sorry your experience is not what you hoped for. could it be your pc specs?

I did have an issue myself sometime ago. I was trying to download The Outer Worlds and it would always give me an error message or the screen you described. I found that the fix for me was reinstalling windows, because I did something to mess up my Microsoft Store app. There is a way to reinstall windows without losing all your data. I would look it up and give it a try.

I already reinstalled Windows while keeping all files and programs. I don't think I will make a clean install just for game pass.

But as I said the main problem is not download speed, it's everything else. It's the bad experience, the crashes and the bugs.

I just tried installing a game called Lonely Mountains: Downhill, the game worked, but after I finished playing I tried to leave the game and it crashed. The only games that work are the ones I don't care about. :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Hell be able to run it fine @ 1080p.

His specs aren't an issue for the game and are irrelevant for why a download isn't working as it should.

It would be better if developers/publishers never had to go back and rectify this issue which is Microsoft's doing.
I didn’t have a good enough graphics card and it wouldn’t load, so you can’t discount it not loading because of not enough ram

GHG

Gold Member
I didn’t have a good enough graphics card and it wouldn’t load, so you can’t discount it not loading because of not enough ram

He isn't having an issue with the game loading. Read the thread, he has the game on Steam now and is playing it.

Raploz

My specs are:

Intel i5 9400f
8 GB of RAM at 2666Mhz (single stick)
MSI RX 570 4GB
Cheap Asrock motherboard
1 TB hard drive (no SSD)

Windows 10 updated to the lastest version

He isn't having an issue with the game loading. Read the thread, he has the game on Steam now and is playing it.
[/QUOThalf of this t
Half this thread is tryin to shit on the poor guy because hes having an issue with a Microsoft service.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Microsoft store is old, and PC is trending away from it, (Epic, Steam etc.) probably best finding your game elsewhere.

Top Bottom