• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Pass users: Do you buy the games afterwards to support the devs?

Game Pass users: Do you buy games afterwards to support the devs?

• Yes!

Votes: 21 9.3%
  • No!

Votes: 67 29.8%
  • Wtf that's a waste of money!?

Votes: 99 44.0%
  • Only if it leaves the service

Votes: 38 16.9%

• Total voters

VertigoOA

Banned
tenor.gif

Isa

I'll buy dlc occasionally for games I like. My biggest issue is that there are plenty of games I've bought in the past at launch to see release soon after on GP, so I'm going to have to stop buying so much right away.

TaySan

Banned
I mean yes I know they were already paid by Microsoft, but i'm just talking about if you love a game so much you wish to own it and support them even more.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I mean yes I know they were already paid by Microsoft, but i'm just talking about if you love a game so much you wish to own it and support them even more.
You are doing great job, i was joking. I plan to buy Slay The Spire and Wizard of Legend, maybe Lonely Mountains too, if someday i decide to quit gamepass. I will buy them because they are kinda addictive games, not to support their devs(it will be an indirect support).

Edit: I forgot to say, i will NEVER buy them from microsoft store.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

Ivellios

When i get Gamepass, i dont plan on buying the games on it elsewhere, unless i want to play again and it leaves the service.

Between how exactly does devs make money on game pass? Is it number of downloads and/or time played?

No.

Not only do I not buy DLC, I haven't bought a retail game since gamepass started.

And now I know the X is forward compatible, I won't be buying a new xbox on launch day either.

My wallet is Microsoft's biggest fan.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
No. I support them by playing their game over Gamepass. I don't feel the need to burn money buying something I already played.

mcjmetroid

I dont have an Xbox but God no.

I am interested though what kind of deal does Microsoft make with developers to allow their games on GamePass? Surely it's a good incentive.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The fuck ? I already supported those greedy ass devs with my 1 euro gamepass sub for 2 years upgrade plan.

Ofc not

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So far I haven't bought anything after it went on GP. If a game I liked went off of GP and I wanted to play more, I would most definitely buy it.

Soltype

I guess, but not by choice.I was having issues with KCD on Gamepass, but I played enough to know I liked it, so I bought it on steam.

I’ve bought PC GamePass games on Switch that weren’t available yet on Xbox. If I play a game on GamePass and enjoy it, I’ll buy the DLC. I’ll usually buy some MTX if they are available. For example Plague has some outfit DLC I bought.

I haven't yet but if there's a game I super love and it's about to leave I would. I have bought a lot of ea games but have ea access too.

Cravis

If it’s a non Microsoft published title then it’s inevitable that it’s going to leave gamepass. So those I definitely pick up if I enjoy them enough

Aidah

Haven't played anything on Game Pass that I didn't already own and thought it was worth buying.

Leonidas

Yes I would for the simple fact that PC Game Pass does not get all the Console Game Pass games and I will not subject myself to the console version of certain games...
Games like Witcher 3, Tekken 7, GTAV and many others are an example of this, I'd buy the PC version... maybe I'd test the game out on Console Game Pass if it was a game I was unsure about.

Kagey K

Banned
back in my day, I would try to beat the game in 7 days before returning it to blockbuster. I did NOT buy the game afterwards.
Ever rent a game enough times that you could have bought it outright? I know I did.

I haven’t bought a game that I played in Gamepass. They got paid what they felt was a sufficient amount to put their game there for me to play it.

I have bought sequels to games and DLC that I wouldn’t have bought had it not been on Gamepass.

Does that count?

GHG

Gold Member
PC gamepass subscriber here and yes I do. I'll buy the games that I like from the service on Steam/GOG for the following reasons:
  • I like permanence in my PC gaming library.
  • While being aware that Microsoft have a financial agreement with them I'm happy to give the developer/publisher money directly for a product I like.
  • The windows store is a steaming pile of fresh dog shit so any way to minimise the amount of time I need to spend using it is a plus.
  • To show that there is still a market for people who wish to purchase games outright, even if those same games are available on a subscription.
I treat services like Gamepass and Origin Access as "demo" subscription services. I'll try a game and if I like it enough I will buy it from a place that I have confidence in. If I don't like it then no harm done, no money wasted.

After 10 hours of Outer Worlds I uninstalled it and cancelled gamepass :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

I’ll probably buy Gears 5 on steam though when I want to play it again.

kretos

Banned
Why would i buy a game for 60-40$ when i could pay 10$ (or 1$ with promotion lol) to play it and play other games too

tenor.gif

_Justinian_

Gold Member
Video game companies (or any company or business for that matter) are not your friends. If they don't earn enough money from the sales of their games, then that is a fault on their end, not ours.

Fitzchiv

A challenge for devs is cashflow, especially in the traditional model where funding is quite low until something ships. Gamepass model seriously improves cashflow, especially when it includes older assets they shipped previously.

I do have this "should I buy it properly" concern every now and then, but it tends to be more about what should I get a physical copy of. I don't like the over reliance on digital library and streamable.

What happens when the zombies take over....?

Exactly.

TaySan

Banned
PC gamepass subscriber here and yes I do. I'll buy the games that I like from the service on Steam/GOG for the following reasons:
  • I like permanence in my PC gaming library.
  • While being aware that Microsoft have a financial agreement with them I'm happy to give the developer/publisher money directly for a product I like.
  • The windows store is a steaming pile of fresh dog shit so any way to minimise the amount of time I need to spend using it is a plus.
  • To show that there is still a market for people who wish to purchase games outright, even if those same games are available on a subscription.
I treat services like Gamepass and Origin Access as "demo" subscription services. I'll try a game and if I like it enough I will buy it from a place that I have confidence in. If I don't like it then no harm done, no money wasted.
I'm kinda in the same boat. I treat Game Pass like a "try it before you buy it" type of thing. Windows store is a buggy mess for games.

Top Bottom