• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Pass users: Do you buy the games afterwards to support the devs?

Game Pass users: Do you buy games afterwards to support the devs?

• Yes!

Votes: 21 9.3%
  • No!

Votes: 67 29.8%
  • Wtf that's a waste of money!?

Votes: 99 44.0%
  • Only if it leaves the service

Votes: 38 16.9%

• Total voters

Kagey K

Banned
A challenge for devs is cashflow, especially in the traditional model where funding is quite low until something ships. Gamepass model seriously improves cashflow, especially when it includes older assets they shipped previously.

I do have this "should I buy it properly" concern every now and then, but it tends to be more about what should I get a physical copy of. I don't like the over reliance on digital library and streamable.

What happens when the zombies take over....?

Exactly.
If the zombies take over you wouldn’t be in one place long enough to install the physical disc anyway, and when you did and it said it needed an update before you play, you wouldn’t have internet to get it.

It would be easier to carry 2 8TB hard drives then it would to hold 300 games.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
No, it doesn't work that way, at least not for me. Let Microsoft and the companies that have their games featured in Game Pass figure out how they're going to make money off it.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Well, no. But I've bought a few games after they left the service, mostly games that my five year old son enjoys.

The Alien

Banned
If GamePass was made by someone else , we wouldn’t see posts like this .....:messenger_unamused:
GamePass is easily the most consumer friendly service available this gen.

Since its Microsoft threads like this exist.
Last gen it was Micro$oft. This gen soooooo many gamers have "genuine concern" about how Microsoft spends their billions.

The same peeps "concerned" about GamePass (or Microsoft in general) are the same people who are 'Never XBox-ers'.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
I do, yessir! I like owning the games I really enjoy and can forsee myself playing again. Bought five in the last month in fact. Plague's Tale is next.

Shifty1897

Devs make money off of putting their game on GamePass. It's their decision to put it on there.

I feel no need to support devs beyond legally playing the games I want to play. Good devs support themselves by making good games that sell.

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
You're buying/renting the games already when you pay for gamepass so why pay for it a 2and time?

I dont use gamepass to begin with since I have way too many games to play as it is on playstation and PC.

tenor.gif

1311723169535.jpg

I had a wild hair up my ass to play Graveyard Keeper a few months ago, paid for the game and both expansions since it went off Gamepass. Doubt I would have ever tried the game if not for Gamepass.

Havoc2049

I haven’t yet. But most of the Microsoft games that I wanted to play on Gamepass, I already bought before Gamepass came out or before the game showed up on Gamepass.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I haven't bought a game to support the devs, mainly because they've already been supported. Microsoft did that when they brought the game to Gamepass in the first place. Now if there is a game I really really like, didn't have a chance to finish and was on a steeper discount then what Gamepass already provides then yes I would buy it.

I should also mention that a lot of the games have dlc as well and purchasing that does support the devs. Best example I can think of is ESO. Purchasing expansions and IMO the absolutely mandatory ESO Plus supports the devs.

Edit:
I haven’t yet. But most of the Microsoft games that I wanted to play on Gamepass, I already bought before Gamepass came out or before the game showed up on Gamepass.
Ditto.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Some people seem to believe that every developer who puts a game in gamepass is going to go bankrupt.

Do you think they do this out of generosity ?

oagboghi2

The marketing MS has around gamepads must be incredibly effective.

These developers are paid a shitton to put their game on GP. They don't "need" your support, they are already being paid.

I would if the game is either really something special or it's on another platform.

I recently played Demons tilt. Liked it so much I ended up buying the game on the switch.

An underrated game that really needs the support. Do hope they get to add more too it.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I haven't yet, but would have no problem doing so if there was a game I wanted to continue to playing that was leaving the service.

Animagic

Banned
I bought two games on there that I wanted to keep and play later, but it has nothing to do with the devs. I just really liked the games.

stitch1

M$ pays the devs to put their game on Gamepass. If a game leaves that I want to keep playing I'll buy it but otherwise, no. Why would I do that. However, I might be more inclined to buy DLC for a game I am enjoying on gamepass.

I'll buy the game if it's something I'll re-play and/or continue playing if it has an online component. Otherwise, I just leave one-and-done games alone.

FeldMonster

If I like a movie, I immediately go buy 5 more tickets for the same movie on my way out of the theater and just throw them away.
I actually have purchased tickets to a movie that I knew I could not attend to support the movie. Doesn't really seem all that odd to me.

Clearly I am in the minority opinion. I refuse to pay for Gamepass because of the financial aspect, and simply buy all of the games I want, including multiple copies just to support the game. I especially like to purchase the game and DLC digitally, and then buy it physical afterwards for display/shelf reasons. If the physical copy is re-released with DLC/expansion, I buy those as well.

Last edited:
Yeah, and they're called devs cuz they come from the starving developing third world earning a grain of rice a day for making AAA software.

I jest. I sometimes will plan on picking up a game if I started it and didn't finish it in time, like Below, Mad Max, or Strange Brigade. I played those for a few hours each and never got round to finishing them.

I just hope my money won't go to the slave drivers, punishing those highly educated software developers, who are well paid and climbing the career ladder! Oh woes!

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I find the whole concept of "supporting" devs is silly. If you enjoy their game, play it. Unless you are pirating the game, however or wherever you are playing it will inadvertently support the developer.

Last edited:

Lukin1978

Haha nope I've bought 1 game on xbox one Gears 4 for like $20. The other 70 or so I got from gamepass why would I buy them?

Mihos

Gold Member
Only if it is a game I want to keep and it has a physical release.

'Support the dev' is not a thing unless it is someone I know personally. Square Enix and From make a ton of games I love, but I am not buying any trash mobile crap from them just because Final Fantasy was good.

DESTROYA

Nahhhhh........
If it’s not on GP and I liked the previous game maybe but if it’s the same game on GP but cheaper ....nope

The Alien

Banned
Shame shame shame OP Taysun.

Double timing on GAF with Reset Era? Literally same poll and comments on a thread over there.

😖

Microsoft pays a good chunk of money up front....then devs also get paid on either a download or hours played basis.

What if you own the game physically, have it installed, then don't put the disc and use Gamepass as a means to load it without putting the disc in? Do they still get paid then?

I'll buy games that are open-ended that I know I want to go back to. I also buy DLC for games I enjoy and would like to spend more time with.

TaySan

Banned
Shame shame shame OP Taysun.

Double timing on GAF with Reset Era? Literally same poll and comments on a thread over there.

😖
Surprisingly the poll percentages are fairly close to each other.
You two aren't so different after all ;) lol

If you own the game physically already, then you've already supported the devs.

Yeah, but do they get paid if you're utilizing a Game Pass subscription to play it without a disc? Technically, you're playing it off Game Pass since it's not asking for the disc to play it. Just curious is all. I mean, you could have traded it in afterwards (Not that I did, but just wondering).

Top Bottom