• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Ready Driver for RDR2 Out Now; RTX 2080 Ti Can Only Do 4K@60 with a Mix of Medium & High Settings

thelastword

Banned
This is bullshit OP

They just wanna sell rtx cards we have no benchmarks yet
I agree that they want to sell RTX cards, but we have benches now and what was said in the OP is true...…..Hopefully some patches will sort this out.....The divide between the 2080ti and XBONEX is too great for the timid visual/performance gains we are getting over that console......

Having said that, I'd like to see an analysis because some effects (smoke, much better shadows through the thick brush, can absolutely murder framerate)…..Hope there is not a shadows situation like FF15 had a culling problem which butchered framerate...

What modern game runs at 4k max settings 60 fps? on a single gpu exactly?

How is this surprising?
There are many......Is this really a question or was this rhetorical?

carsar

$400 console getting 30 FPS

49023013667_960a94cdd8_o.png

$3,000 PC with a 2080 Ti at maximum settings getting 30 FPS.

RDR2-2019-11-05-21-46-53-175.jpg
XoX png vs pc jpeg, Was it done on purpose?

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
thelastword thelastword - there are many games that run 4k/60 but how many of them have all the complex code in their graphics engine like RDR2? RDR2 is the most graphics featured game this generation. I wasn't expecting 4k/60 just because I own a 2080Ti. The game is doing a significant amount of computation with those graphics features. Some games are just more demanding than others.

thelastword

Banned
thelastword thelastword - there are many games that run 4k/60 but how many of them have all the complex code in their graphics engine like RDR2? RDR2 is the most graphics featured game this generation. I wasn't expecting 4k/60 just because I own a 2080Ti. The game is doing a significant amount of computation with those graphics features. Some games are just more demanding than others.
I think RDR2 is a good looking game, but it's not as good looking as many games this gen......Some aspects of RDR2 shines really bright mind you, but others not so much........The only things that are perhaps computationally expensive in RDR on PC, are settings that could be culled in, where you see no significant visual gain
for the performance hit incurred...….It's why I alluded to maybe huge shadow draw distance or details that are not immediately visible to your FOV, but under the hood, it just robs frames like Robin hood gets giddy in Atherton California......

RDR is not that great looking that it can't run better on PC, even with enhancements......besides.....there were some really modest requirements suggested prior to launch. so we really don't know what settings consoles are running at yet, but since it's so hard to see a huge difference in screens...…We will have to chalk it to a poorly optimized game...….We already have someone saying XBONEX is 36% stronger than a GTX 1060, it's already getting silly...….The analyses will be great though....I hope they go in-depth....

VFXVeteran

Banned
I think RDR2 is a good looking game, but it's not as good looking as many games this gen......Some aspects of RDR2 shines really bright mind you, but others not so much........The only things that are perhaps computationally expensive in RDR on PC, are settings that could be culled in, where you see no significant visual gain
for the performance hit incurred
...….It's why I alluded to maybe huge shadow draw distance or details that are not immediately visible to your FOV, but under the hood, it just robs frames like Robin hood gets giddy in Atherton California......

RDR is not that great looking that it can't run better on PC, even with enhancements......besides.....there were some really modest requirements suggested prior to launch. so we really don't know what settings consoles are running at yet, but since it's so hard to see a huge difference in screens...…We will have to chalk it to a poorly optimized game...….We already have someone saying XBONEX is 36% stronger than a GTX 1060, it's already getting silly...….The analyses will be great though....I hope they go in-depth....

RDR2 subjectively "not looking so great" has nothing to do with the complexity going on that makes up the game as a whole. While it may not be great looking to some, that doesn't take away the enormous computations being done under the hood. The Order 1886 was a great looking game - but it was very simplistic as far as what it did compared to RDR2. Also the game was made on PC dev kits. Let's not shout "poor optimization" just because people think a game doesn't look "good enough" to warrant such high demands on FPS.

NVIDIA has released a new Game Ready driver (version 441.12) today, delivering optimizations for Red Dead Redemption 2 (out tomorrow) and Need for Speed Heat (out on Friday). The official changelog document also mentions new optimizations for Borderlands 3.

NVIDIA also posted a blog article today where they shared graphics card recommendations for running Red Dead Redemption 2 at 60 frames per second on PC. It looks it won't be the easiest feat to pull off, particularly at high resolution. NVIDIA recommends a GeForce RTX 2060 to play the game at 1080P@60FPS on High settings, a GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER to play at 1440P@60FPS on High settings, and a GeForce RTX 2080 Ti to play at 4K@60FPS.

However, not even the mighty RTX 2080 Ti can pull off High settings at that resolution and frame rate, which is why the folks from NVIDIA recommend to either drop the detail level to a mix of Medium and High settings or alternatively to drop the rendering resolution to 3264x1836 or 2880x1620, then using the sharpening and upscaling technique now available through NVIDIA's Control Panel to make up for the resolution drop.

The good news is that Red Dead Redemption 2 features a built-in benchmark, making it easy for everyone to measure their system's performance. We'll have our own performance impressions and benchmarks up soon enough; stay tuned.

https://wccftech.com/game-ready-dri...y-do-4k60-with-a-mix-of-medium-high-settings/

-----------------------------------
So either PC settings are much better than consoles or this is not the best optimized game out there...…..Medium and high settings to achieve 4k 60fps on a 2080ti and 1080p 60fps on high will require an RTX 2060 seems kinda high.......So what happens to 580 and 1060 class GPU's....We shall see when it releases......

Judging by the number of graphics options (40+) I'm pretty sure the game is running on equivalent 'low' on the ps4/xboner. Anyone with an Rx480 can find out the xbox one 4k settings.

Last edited:
better reflections on the xbox x has nothing to do with png vs jpeg.... you know?
Don't know how you worked that one out when there's no glossy reflections in either scene, only specular, and they're taken from wildly different angles. Most of those screenshots weren't necessarily terrible comparison shots, that one is.

Top Bottom