• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game soundtracks on vinyl | Analogue Gen 33fps

Thanks but I think the shipping might make it a bit too rich for my blood.

Dangit! The one seller to have international postage at a reasonable rate had one left, but someone bought it while I was goofing around and signing in to buy it.
Who was it, own up! :p

Damn :D I got mine for 6$ shipping costs to Finland, Europe.

You snooze you lose system is highly in place regarding limited vinyl releases.
RULES OF NATURE

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
That I haven't listened to Blood Dragon or that you're an elitist snob?

As expected for vinyl discussion on the internet, the word snob has to come up at some point. You've fulfilled your role, now please leave.

My brother has the Dreamcast Collection vinyl, mad jealous of that.

pVLAwLv.jpg
My jaw dropped the first time I saw that. Someone was kind enough to upload both sides to youtube. Dat Space Channel 5 track.

DarkTom

I'm also a "vinyl guy" and I don't have any LP video game soundtrack. Now I want some !

I have 3 CDs from Club Nintendo though, that's somehow a start.

I'm also a "vinyl guy" and I don't have any LP video game soundtrack. Now I want some !

I have 3 CDs from Club Nintendo though, that's somehow a start.

turn away while you still can! :D That Last of Us release is going to bankrupt me.

Just as Far Cry 4 triple-LP already did a few weeks ago...

farcry4.jpg

Jockel

I wish I would have gotten the Shatter OST when I had the chance.
But eh, I got the very awesome Rockman 2 Lp with #1 /250; so I am very lucky on that front.

Atrophis

I've only got Superbrothers. Wanted Hotline Miami 2 but it was way too pricey to ship to Europe. I've only just come across the Shatter soundtrack but I want it quite badly now. Also going to get Blood Dragon at some point. Love me some Power Fist.

Noisepurge's thread? Subscribed!!!!

Love that DC collection, might even pick one up...

I received today my Hotline Miami 2 triple-vinyl set, finally!

Also have the Bioshock one from the second game's LE.

Some suggestions here are awesome. I'll have to control myself and behave a little xD

BGMNTS

I had no idea this existed. I know the resurgence of vinyl as a thing was quite niche and cool but I didn't know there were game soundtrack vinyls.

Wouldn't have anywhere close to enough money to afford those I bet though.

Rydeen

picked up this 2LP comp of Commodore 64 music for £1.49 the other day. the price was right!
http://www.discogs.com/Various-Inpu...mmodore-64-Game-Music-1984-1989/release/27130

would love to have a collection of the Famicom comp LPs put out by GMO records in the 80s though
http://www.discogs.com/label/94471-GMORecords

i mean, look how badass these are!
This stuff is my jam. Not too interested in newer stuff, but vintage Japanese LP's of retro game music are the bee's knees. Only ones I currently have are the two Namco arcade remix albums that Haruomi Hosono (of Yellow Magic Orchestra) did.

R-2881946-1356867275-5808.jpeg.jpg

$%28KGrHqV,!rUF!dOz4%2913BQhFFOVi4g~~60_35.JPG

virtualS

Here's the thing about vinyl: people expect them to sound good on expensive sound systems. Here's the thing about CD and mp3: people expect them to sound good on iPods with ear buds or shitty car stereos.

What happens (generally) is this: dynamic range is artificially compressed on digital formats to make the sound 'pop' for average earbud guy. It's akin to Microsoft's thinking with black crush on Xbox.

This is made exponentially worse when you consider the compression already in play in the music production sampling process.

The result is this: albums released on vinyl tend to have greater dynamic range and subtlety even though it's technically inferior media.

Also, vinyl is analog and turntable equipment is like a musical instrument. Spend more and sound quality ramps up significantly.

I endorse this thread. I'd love some videogames vinyl to play on my Thorens.

Any idea of how much it'll be/ if it'll be a stupid low quantity?

EDIT: How does it not have Mega Man's theme...like any version?

Holy shit yeah, why no Mega Man 2 title screen?

Has a strange selection indeed, and quite a lot of tracks per side. They might be ~1 minute long versions or something similar.

Would have chosen a lot of Megaman 3 tracks as well, now there are NONE for some reason...

and even so, monsters at Hot Topic for not accepting international orders, can a gaffer hook me up with shipping to Europe? :D

Have some of the FF vinyls, Persona and MvC. Had no idea Metal Gear Rising had one! Damn...

Journey was ordered, though.

Mondo doing TLOU is going to be impossible to get. Great.

Mondo doing TLOU is going to be impossible to get. Great.

it's not going to be impossible, just very expensive :p

They just "released" the Mad Max soundtrack as a pre-order, so they will just take all orders and after that they will press as many copies as needed. I think they would do the same with The Last of Us.

As expected for vinyl discussion on the internet, the word snob has to come up at some point. You've fulfilled your role, now please leave.

My jaw dropped the first time I saw that. Someone was kind enough to upload both sides to youtube. Dat Space Channel 5 track.

Sounds so good, and on youtube too. Kudos to that guy.

amnesiac

BTW, that Mega Man soundtrack should be getting a non-picture disc release later on. (according to Spacelab 9's newsletter)

hawk2025

BTW, that Mega Man soundtrack should be getting a non-picture disc release later on. (according to Spacelab 9's newsletter)

Excellent. One for show, one for listen.

...can we somehow organize all this info? I'm finding out so much I didn't know in this thread, but it's still kind of hard to keep track of all the different releases. There has to be a better way!

This thread may as well be a guy mugging me on the street (then randomly giving records in exchange...or something.)

I have Hotline Miami 2, GTAV, and Retro City Rampage (black.) At my local shop, the guys working there had something called "Best Of NES" which was a bunch of random NES songs pressed on vinyl and wasn't for sale or anything. Apparently some random guy around here independently pressed them and also did Mega Man 2? It's not SpaceLab9. I might be getting a copy of the NES one, which I'm very excited about. Rare won't even begin to describe it haha

Video game LPs are great. I buy them, listen to them once, then I'm like "i'm so glad I own this" then on the shelf it goes lol

My big issue with vinyl is that, if the album wasn't originally made with Vinyl in mind or if it wasn't first recorded onto vinyl, you're getting a much higher sound quality with CD over it.

Some people like that gritty sound and the better album art with Vinyl, though. I won't pay too much of a premium for it, but I do love a good vinyl record. I got Glen Hansard to sign my Swell Season vinyl cover earlier this year, and I prefer that over a CD sleeve any day.

There's a ton of unjustified snobbery around with vinyl elitism, though, so I can see where he got that opinion. Vinyl isn't always better, though some people swear it is.

Back on topic, though, thanks for the link. There's some good stuff on here.

If you're getting gritty sound on vinyl, you're doing it wrong. Also quite ironically, modern albums are the ones that benefit the most from vinyl when they get a dedicated mix.

Dear God...the inhumane things I would do for a Persona 4 Golden soundtrack on vinyl...

Gonna keep my eye on that Mega Man news. The songs they picked are kinda....but I'll buy it anyways as long as it's not stupidly overpriced. That is, I'll buy it after they do a regular pressing. Picture discs are ugly.

Hot Topic is the shit for vinyl sometimes. I've found some great albums there.

-Motion City Soundtrack-Split with Matchbook Romance and I Am the Movie.
-Saves The Day-Stay What You Are
-Millencollin-Pennybridge Pioneers
-Modern Baseball-Sports

All found at Hot Topic. Crazy but it makes sense when my brother told me the guy that buys the rights to albums for Hot Topic listens mostly to pop-punk. Explains why they print so many albums I like.

I have hundreds of records, but the only video game one I have is the one that came in the Special Edition of Bioshock 2. I've never even really thought to look for video game music on vinyl. THAT DREAMCAST COLLECTION!

Great to know this, Spacelabs website is down so i couldn't find any proper info.

Yuzo Koshiro fans: Streets of Rage and Shenmue coming this September
http://segabits.com/blog/2015/05/21...enmue-soundtrack-are-getting-a-vinyl-release/

All my moneys! :D

Excellent. One for show, one for listen.

...can we somehow organize all this info? I'm finding out so much I didn't know in this thread, but it's still kind of hard to keep track of all the different releases. There has to be a better way!

It's hard as most are being released under small labels. The best we have are those two links in the OP.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I was really pleased that we did the vinyl release of the Shatter soundtrack. It was great that we were able to celebrate the success of the music that way, and the team did a great job making a very stylish package (and the translucent blue vinyl itself looks great).

Module, the artist of the soundtrack, even went back and remastered the whole soundtrack specifically to get the best sound out of the vinyl. It's arguably the best version.

We even did a little promo video for it back in the day here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft5KI6ZIqrc

Still need to get my #001 numbered copy framed :)

I was really pleased that we did the vinyl release of the Shatter soundtrack. It was great that we were able to celebrate the success of the music that way, and the team did a great job making a very stylish package (and the translucent blue vinyl itself looks great).

Great to know that it wasn't just a quick MP3 filedump to the vinyl press :)

And i know you have a few extra copies at the office, please sell me one! :D

Jockel

Module, the artist of the soundtrack, even went back and remastered the whole soundtrack specifically to get the best sound out of the vinyl. It's arguably the best version.

We even did a little promo video for it back in the day here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft5KI6ZIqrc

There's probably no copy left somewhere in a random basement, is there? :(

And could someone proxy buy the Mega Man LP from Hot topic for me? I'm in Germany, so I can't get it myself. (will update the post if I found someone)

There's probably no copy left somewhere in a random basement, is there? :(

And could someone proxy buy the Mega Man LP from Hot topic for me? I'm in Germany, so I can't get it myself. (will update the post if I found someone)

haha, we are just european vultures :D

but...what about streets of rage 2? :\

I feel you. Expander is one of my favorite videogame BGMs of all time, but overall I feel like the SoR1 soundtrack is a better listen outside of game.

I'm sure SoR2 is coming though. They'd be foolish not to!

jacobeid

Banned

Wow. I'd really love to pick this up. I have the soundtrack in digital form, but shit.

Glad that I wasn't the only one who hadn't heard of the Mega Man release!

Regarding organization, should we start a Discogs collection for Video Game soundtracks? That might be the best way to organize everything.

mattp

I feel you. Expander is one of my favorite videogame BGMs of all time, but overall I feel like the SoR1 soundtrack is a better listen outside of game.

I'm sure SoR2 is coming though. They'd be foolish not to!

back to the industry
on loop
for 10 hours

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Let me check what we have left on the Shatter vinyl. Am traveling at the moment but will let you guys know.

I fully approve of any spiffy full remasters of the Streets of Rage series and any other big time FM Synth packing classics---I can scarcely imagine how good the entire trilogy would turn out when all is said and done if they really put some serious effort on it.

Top Bottom