• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game soundtracks on vinyl | Analogue Gen 33fps

Ty4on

There's also something nice about the tea ceremony around setting up a record to listen to. To listen to a record, you have to really want to listen to it, go to the effort of setting it up and you can't skip around tracks. It forces me to listen through albums in their entirety and there's just something nice about the whole procedure that makes no sense but I like it anyway.
I totally agree. There is something nice about the whole process and the sound quality is really good for what is essentially grooves on a plastic plate.

I also love mechanical stuff and with vinyl the sound waves I am listening to are literally engraved into the disc.

theyre probably going to make like 100 though right?

Buy a few and put on ebay amirite?

That's a good point. I wonder if they've said anything about quantity of their print run. I know the fluff like character cards are limited, but I wonder about the media itself.

kgtrep

Wow, this is really awesome. I knew there are vinyls for Hotline Miami 2 and Journey, but not for many others shown on the website. If I had a record player (it has been my dream purchase lately), I'd definitely get the vinyl for Shatter. Amazing tracks.

£19.99 so about half that.

Shipping will bring it up though, for sure.

ahh, pleasant surprise!

Xenogears is the closest so far :D

xenogears.jpg

fuuuuuuuuck

$381 on discogs for a half hour of music.

jacobeid

Banned
I haven't played a record in like 20 years. Do they still get all scratched up or have they figured out a way to prevent that?

Vinyl quality has certainly increased in recent years (the vinyl of the late 80s got pretty flimsy if you ask me), but that's the nature of vinyl. They won't "scratch" unless you handle them improperly, but each time you play the record it does wear. A good record player, and especially a quality needle, can reduce this wear. It's just the nature of the beast. Note that I am talking about slight, slight wear that will only be noticed after many a play through.

Vinyl wear and tear is virtually imperceptible as long as you handle them well (hold the edges and center, don't drop them back into the sleeve, don't plonk the needle on it from on high, make sure your tracking weight is accurate). I have records from the 70s and 80s that are in practically perfect condition for listening minus a bit of crackling here and there because their previous owners took good care of them. The fact that most record pressings these days are at least 140 gram and often 180 helps too - no more super thin 80s singles.

Avoid cheapo players that don't have adjustable weight and look after your records and they'll be fine. They're made to be listened to, no use hand-wringing over their impermanence.

Case in point one of my best friends recently bought a used copy of Kraftwerk's Radioactivity from the 70s and aside from a bit of crackling at the beginning it sounds fantastic.

jacobeid

Banned
Vinyl wear and tear is virtually imperceptible as long as you handle them well (hold the edges and center, don't drop them back into the sleeve, don't plonk the needle on it from on high, make sure your tracking weight is accurate). I have records from the 70s and 80s that are in practically perfect condition for listening minus a bit of crackling here and there because their previous owners took good care of them. The fact that most record pressings these days are at least 140 gram and often 180 helps too - no more super thin 80s singles.

Avoid cheapo players that don't have adjustable weight and look after your records and they'll be fine. They're made to be listened to, no use hand-wringing over their impermanence.

Yup, pretty much. My jazz records from the 40s-70s still sound great.

Adjustable weights can make a difference, I forgot to mention that.

my problem right now is having a shitty turntable (LP-60), but i still want an automatic arm (i.e. not a Pro-Ject Debut.) I don't listen to my records as much as I want because of my shitty turntable that may or may not be eating my collection.

my problem right now is having a shitty turntable (LP-60), but i still want an automatic arm (i.e. not a Pro-Ject Debut.) I don't listen to my records as much as I want because of my shitty turntable that may or may not be eating my collection.

The LP-60 is a great turntable for that price point. As long as you're not dropping the needle on it carelessly you have nothing to worry about.

How much are you willing to spend? I bought the Denon 300F recently for my living room. I pretty much bought it specifically for the automatic arm so guests don't have to fiddle around with it but I ended up liking it so much I've been using it exclusively over my Audio Technica LP120.

jacobeid

Banned

The LP-60 is far from a "shitty" turntable. It's not an amazing turntable, but I used an LP-2D for years.

The LP-60 shouldn't eat your collection unless the cartridge is borked.

hawk2025

I have a SL-1200 MK2, I believe bought new in... 2010?

Just before they went out of production :( I hope it lasts forever.

Beast780

I own a lot of vinyls (nearing 300) and the only video game one I own is Retro City Rampage. It skips in a few places but it's a lot of fun!

It's been a while, but I recall the best needles being diamond tipped. Is that still the case?

I own a diamond needle and it sounds perfect,

The LP-60 is a great turntable for that price point. As long as you're not dropping the needle on it carelessly you have nothing to worry about.

The LP-60 is far from a "shitty" turntable. It's not an amazing turntable, but I used an LP-2D for years.

The LP-60 shouldn't eat your collection unless the cartridge is borked.

got it. i got mine for free and have seen others knock it, maybe they were just being snobby.

How much are you willing to spend? I bought the Denon 300F recently for my living room. I pretty much bought it specifically for the automatic arm so guests don't have to fiddle around with it but I ended up liking it so much I've been using it exclusively over my Audio Technica LP120.

That looks nice! There was a Pioneer at $190 that I've been eyeing.

theyre probably going to make like 100 though right?

they said they would make "a reasonable amount" so probably 250 copies per colour? so 750-1000 total?

Extended edit:
minimum vinyl pressing is 250 copies. Far Cry 4 had a pressing of 1500 copies, so in comparison to that i have no idea what kind of sales they are expecting. But they said that they will not reveal the amount so people wouldn't go scalping with the records on discogs right away.

Atrophis

SoR and Shenmue preorders up tomorrow :D Going for both. Those Shenmue samples sound lovely.

So happy to see they are a British company and are only charging £19.99 for each record. Going to be nice to order something cool without being smashed on shipping and import fees.

I feel there will be a lot of complaining US folk that want to order these but don't want to pay the shipping coats. Now you guys know how it feels! :p

Atrophis

I feel there will be a lot of complaining US folk that want to order these but don't want to pay the shipping coats. Now you guys know how it feels! :p

Nah, they can order theirs from Mondo so it will be like buying "local". If they are happy not getting the spattered versions.

pff, USA shipping is still cheaper than most european countries :E

Code:
Country		Qty	Price	Qty	Price	Qty	Price	Qty	Price
UK		1 LP	£5.00	2 LPs	£5.00	3 LPs	£7.50	4 LPs	£7.50
USA		1 LP	£7.50	2 LPs	£10.00	3 LPs	£13.00	4 LPs	£16.00
Germany		1 LP	£6.00	2 LPs	£7.50	3 LPs	£8.00	4 LPs	£9.00
France		1 LP	£6.00	2 LPs	£8.00	3 LPs	£10.00	4 LPs	£12.00
Netherlands	1 LP	£8.50	2 LPs	£10.00	3 LPs	£10.50	4 LPs	£11.50
Portugal	1 LP	£8.00	2 LPs	£9.50	3 LPs	£11.00	4 LPs	£12.00
Spain		1 LP	£8.00	2 LPs	£9.00	3 LPs	£10.50	4 LPs	£12.00
Australia/NZ	1 LP	£9.00	2 LPs	£13.00	3 LPs	£16.50	4 LPs	£20.00
Canada		1 LP	£9.00	2 LPs	£11.50	3 LPs	£14.00	4 LPs	£18.00
Rest of EU	1 LP	£8.50	2 LPs	£11.50	3 LPs	£14.00	4 LPs	£17.00
ROW		1 LP	£10.50	2 LPs	£13.50	3 LPs	£16.60	4 LPs	£19.80

Atrophis

Huh thats pretty weird. Still I'll be happy getting both records for £45 total :p

Assuming I get a preorder in time. My luck this year has been pretty shitty.

StillEdge

Bumping this because Data Discs started sending out passwords a few hours ago so you can buy the limited edition vinyl on their site.

I have Sword and Sworcery, Sword and Sworcery Moon Grotto 7', Indie Game the Movie soundtrack (kinda counts?), Hohokum, and backed the remaster/pressing of the MOTHER 1 arrange album on vinyl, Hotline Miami 2, and the Journey 2x picture disc The same label behind the MOTHER pressing is hinting at an Earthbound release, though I can't think of what material they would pull from as I don't believe it had an official arrange album (Wikipedia lists it as having a soundtrack album of 13 tracks, but it just looks like 1 loop of some of the main tracks...)

Would kill for Scott Pilgrim (came out 1 year before I got into vinyl), Machinarium and Botanicula

Atrophis

Cant believe how early Data Discs started sending out passwords. Being a UK company I thought I'd set my alarm for 9am and then check my inbox. Luckily I woke up at 7am and I had an email waiting which they sent at 5 :O

Anyways I used the code in time and got both limited edition soundtracks. I am very happy right now :D

Tanuki: the passwords aren't sent out all in one go, you'll get one eventually

NekoFever

My friend and I got the same password so I'm not sure it's a secret. I won't post it here just in case that's some massive coincidence.

I ordered both since they're quite reasonably priced. I actually ordered two Shenmues since I'm such a massive Shenmue collector and want a copy to go on display lol.

Chinner

Banned
Woke up early and discovered that the password was sent out at 5am...

That's fine, the limited edition SOR vinyl is still there...Get!!!

amnesiac

If you are in the US it's cheaper to order Shenmue and Streets of Rage from Mondo btw... (not the splatter variant but I don't really like the mockup anyway)

Brakus

Banned
Had a chat with Data Discs, and they are collaborating with Yuzo Koshiro on more of his soundtracks, he confirmed Streets of Rage 2&3 are coming, also stuff they won't talk about yet! I said I was hoping for Actraiser, all I got was "that's a good call" ha. Nice blokes.

tanuki

Had a chat with Data Discs, and they are collaborating with Yuzo Koshiro on more of his soundtracks, he confirmed Streets of Rage 2&3 are coming, also stuff they won't talk about yet! I said I was hoping for Actraiser, all I got was "that's a good call" ha. Nice blokes.

There's gotta be Outrun, right? If you're talking about classic Sega soundtracks, it doesn't get more classic than that.

Brakus

Banned
There's gotta be Outrun, right? If you're talking about classic Sega soundtracks, it doesn't get more classic than that.

Apparently that's been asked for loads! So it'll probably happen, I was kind of sticking to the Yuzo Koshiro link, so far selling and announced stuff has his name all over them, they said what a good guy he is, obviously like working with him.

Top Bottom