• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game soundtracks on vinyl | Analogue Gen 33fps

rpbtz

I got a shipping confirmation for Mega Man yesterday, although from the tracking it seems it hasn't actually shipped yet. I just hope it doesn't get caught in customs...

In weirder news: http://www.pcgamer.com/bethesda-makes-fan-destroy-records-for-refund/

Suddenly I'm glad I didn't have to deal with Bethesda's customer service with my set :/
It thought this was a joke article.
lol.gif

RaidenZR

It's been posted by numerous games media the last couple of days even though it came out two months ago (and was announced last summer).

It's a an unlicensed and illegal bootleg that's now being promoted by Turntable Lab at more than twice the original price.

That's really shitty.

Have any of the recent articles written about that vinyl even pointed out that it's a bootleg?

ngower

Well that's crummy. I had high hopes that it was at least commissioned. Probably sounds not dissimilar to a CD then if remastered without source files. Hm...reconsidering then.

Psykoboy2

I stumbled across this comment on reddit yesterday regarding a possible vinyl release of the Ori And The Blind Forest OST: https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/co...blind_forest_original_soundtrack_xbox/cpeum93

It's 10 months old and is far from confirmed anything, but one can hope, right?

On another note iam8bit just tweeted that Battletoads stock is running low and that they will not be repressed once they are sold out.

A vinyl is a go for that, by the way. I had dinner with the composer during PAX Prime and was showing off my other vinyls pushing hard for him to get one with Ori. It all came down to Microsoft and his comment back then was if the game did well in sales and especially award season, it would likely happen.

He hit me up on Facebook not long after they started to win those awards saying there WILL be a vinyl. No idea on when, but they were given the go ahead for one.

Weird that the Moonshake stuff is popping up again, thought it was long sold out.

interested chicagoans- Pokemon and the Best Of NES compilations are at Reckless on Milwaukee for $46 and $29 respectively.

also, they sound perfect. at least castlevania and the NES comp do, don't own the others.

ngower

A vinyl is a go for that, by the way. I had dinner with the composer during PAX Prime and was showing off my other vinyls pushing hard for him to get one with Ori. It all came down to Microsoft and his comment back then was if the game did well in sales and especially award season, it would likely happen.

He hit me up on Facebook not long after they started to win those awards saying there WILL be a vinyl. No idea on when, but they were given the go ahead for one.

It is my sole duty to correct the internet in their usage of vinyl. It is "a vinyl record" or "a record on vinyl" not "a vinyl." The plural of "vinyl" is "vinyl" and not "vinyls." To pluralize would either be to say "vinyl" or "vinyl records."

I know I sound like a dick, but this is a big pet peeve. Sorry. Carry on.

It would be cool if we could stop talking about bootlegs in this thread. It just spreads misinformation and helps legitimize them.

Some bootlegs are labors of love that actually seem to have quite a bit of effort put into them. Others are quick cash-grabs. I don't know if banning talk altogether would suffice, but I wonder if maybe there oughtn't be some sort of screening/litmus test performed on them (i.e. is it reviewed in any capacity, is the master/pressing trusted, what is the label's history, etc) before posting in here?

On another note iam8bit just tweeted that Battletoads stock is running low and that they will not be repressed once they are sold out.

Well, if it's finally about to be sold out it clearly wasn't an amazing success to warrant reprints. Even though the pressing was rather large.

rpbtz

Man, how do you find this stuff?

It was completely by chance. I was searching the Vinyl Collective boards for something else and came across the comment at random.

This is great to hear! Microsoft have already been involved with the Halo records so it's good that they will consider other titles.

Well, if it's finally about to be sold out it clearly wasn't an amazing success to warrant reprints. Even though the pressing was rather large.

To be fair, when HM2 released they didn't have any other (announced) titles to work on and now they have 6 announced + at least one unannounced, so it's likely that they won't repress any other titles. Could also be a licensing thing.

To be fair, when HM2 released they didn't have any other (announced) titles to work on and now they have 6 announced + at least one unannounced, so it's likely that they won't repress any other titles. Could also be a licensing thing.

That's true, they must have releases lined up for the next couple years, easy. And with the vinyl plants overbooked i'm sure only surefire hits will get repressed.

rpbtz

Didn't they print 3,000 copies each of Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, and Battletoads? Seems insane.

Yup, but honestly, if they can sell 3k copies of Battletoads in ~6 months (+ 300 special editions at SDCC) then it probably wasn't a bad call to press that many. They've been waiting for extra Perfect Dark stock to be shipped in from their warehouse as well, so I'm guessing they're slowly running out of those too.

robotrock

Banned
Yup, but honestly, if they can sell 3k copies of Battletoads in ~6 months (+ 300 special editions at SDCC) then it probably wasn't a bad call to press that many. They've been waiting for extra Perfect Dark stock to be shipped in from their warehouse as well, so I'm guessing they're slowly running out of those too.

Yeah, I suppose so. If that's the case though, does this mean Banjo is selling the worst? Because that's the opposite of what I expected.

rpbtz

Yeah, I suppose so. If that's the case though, does this mean Banjo is selling the worst? Because that's the opposite of what I expected.

It might just be that they've been doing re-stocking of those titles on and off while I wasn't paying attention and it just happens that Perfect Dark is OOS right now and there's plenty in the warehouse. Can't say for sure. But yeah, I would've imagined Banjo to be sold out first as well. Maybe it's the $10 price difference between that and Battletoads that are putting people off.

Guess we'll find out eventually.

EDIT: They just wrote me on Twitter that they're just restocking the US store. So it appears that they'll continue to have Perfect Dark in stock for a while.

It would be cool if we could stop talking about bootlegs in this thread. It just spreads misinformation and helps legitimize them.

Bootlegs are a tricky subject. They exist in a gray area between two other similar topics brought up on the forum, piracy and emulation/homebrew. Piracy is, naturally, not allowed here, but emulation and homebrew discussion is allowed. The thing is, most bootleg albums aren't made to compete with or undercut record labels, but to fill a void. In Moonshake's case, they print game soundtracks like Zelda, Castlevania, Pokemon, etc - things that would likely never, ever get an official pressing. It's a fan curio, like going to a flea market and finding handmade ocarinas with triforces on them.

Now that game soundtracks are a rapidly expanding bubble, bootleggers are suddenly running up against the possibility of official releases. I imagine most people pressing video game records like Moonshake would never have even dreamed that something like Battletoads or Banjo would get an honest to goodness official release.

Personally - and I'll discuss this with some of the other mods - I think we should draw the line at bootleg facsimiles of real releases. Those are intentionally deceptive, and a huge problem in the rock/pop music world (for example, the wave of crappy David Bowie bootleg prints popping up in record stores right now) and are closest to piracy. Stuff like Moonshake's compilation albums with goofy parody art on the cover... I don't see any reason to ban discussion of those, really. They're not pretending to be or competing with real album releases. There's a discussion worth having about making money on a corporation's property, but the fact of the matter is these albums exist, and it's silly to be hush-hush about them.

What I do agree with is that making it clear that something is an independent/unofficial release is important, so it's frustrating that the Pokemon album got so much traction from blogs unwilling to do ten seconds of research on Discogs.

tl;dr criticisms of unofficial albums are valid and welcome, but I don't think they need to be barred from discussion.

Bootlegs are a tricky subject. They exist in a gray area between two other similar topics brought up on the forum, piracy and emulation/homebrew. Piracy is, naturally, not allowed here, but emulation and homebrew discussion is allowed. The thing is, most bootleg albums aren't made to compete with or undercut record labels, but to fill a void. In Moonshake's case, they print game soundtracks like Zelda, Castlevania, Pokemon, etc - things that would likely never, ever get an official pressing. It's a fan curio, like going to a flea market and finding handmade ocarinas with triforces on them.

Now that game soundtracks are a rapidly expanding bubble, bootleggers are suddenly running up against the possibility of official releases. I imagine most people pressing video game records like Moonshake would never have even dreamed that something like Battletoads or Banjo would get an honest to goodness official release.

Personally - and I'll discuss this with some of the other mods - I think we should draw the line at bootleg facsimiles of real releases. Those are intentionally deceptive, and a huge problem in the rock/pop music world (for example, the wave of crappy David Bowie bootleg prints popping up in record stores right now) and are closest to piracy. Stuff like Moonshake's compilation albums with goofy parody art on the cover... I don't see any reason to ban discussion of those, really. They're not pretending to be or competing with real album releases. There's a discussion worth having about making money on a corporation's property, but the fact of the matter is these albums exist, and it's silly to be hush-hush about them.

What I do agree with is that making it clear that something is an independent/unofficial release is important, so it's frustrating that the Pokemon album got so much traction from blogs unwilling to do ten seconds of research on Discogs.

tl;dr criticisms of unofficial albums are valid and welcome, but I don't think they need to be barred from discussion.
I appreciate the careful thought put into that response, and yeah, my real issue isn't with how those releases are mentioned here (because most of us get it) but how giant places like IGN prop them up. It's just lazy and embarrassing.

IrishNinja

yeah, but lazy & embarrassing should be synonymous with IGN, i figured

for me, if Konami doesn't want these dollars, a boot CV it is - until they do.

rpbtz

I'm personally against all kinds of bootlegs where full titles are being released, but I also think that this is an important and very good point.

A lot of people came here asking about the Pokémon release because they'd seen it on IGN and elsewhere - and even more people pm'ed me on various sites. In these cases I think it's important that we inform people that these releases aren't legit and that they will be supporting a bootlegger instead of the people who made the recording in the first place. Afterwards it's their choice whether or not to buy them.

EDIT: I also pray to the great Gods of vinyl records that Brave Wave can get a Castlevania license. Pretty, pretty please!

RaidenZR

My biggest problem with Moonshake is the terrible artwork.

It is deliberately bad. I imagine part of that is so no one misconstrues it with an official release when they see it in the wild. But clearly official outlets are being easily duped.

My question is how does Moonshake dodge cease & desist letters from the legal departments of these companies? Nintendo surely has active people sniffing around for people profiting illegally and getting the legal block. We hear about it all the time. So what gives?

Gotta find the person to give the C+D to. But it really is a smaller scale operation so it might not be on the radar. A couple hundred copies each. If somehow he did get a c+d, i'd take that Nintendo or whoever has been put on notice that people want game ost LPs. Win/win for me. A lot of unofficial prints are an awesome service. The bulk are just bootlegs but some are really necessary- the Lost Highway OST comes to mind.

Also, the London Calling castlevania cover art is amazing!

rpbtz

Gotta find the person to give the C+D to. But it really is a smaller scale operation so it might not be on the radar

His name's Sean Daigle. His not really done an effort to hide that. I can only imagine he hasn't been C&D'ed because Nintendo estimates that legal work on this isn't worth it compared to potential losses and damages to reputation caused by Moonshake's operations.

It is deliberately bad. I imagine part of that is so no one misconstrues it with an official release when they see it in the wild. But clearly official outlets are being easily duped.

My question is how does Moonshake dodge cease & desist letters from the legal departments of these companies? Nintendo surely has active people sniffing around for people profiting illegally and getting the legal block. We hear about it all the time. So what gives?

It's not a strictly direct comparison, but Nintendo doesn't really go after fan artists selling stuff at conventions or selling shirts online either. It's probably just not something that's on their radar; it's not like they have a big vinyl operation bootleggers are cutting into.

SegaShack

I was all set to get the Pokemon record, had no idea it was a bootleg til I looked through this thread. It's a shame news sites seemed to be reporting it as official. Well at least I saved $50 today.

RaidenZR

Has he actually said this?

No he has not. Just pretty confident it's intentionally done to look as much like a small potatoes, garage-shop production as possible.

It's not a strictly direct comparison, but Nintendo doesn't really go after fan artists selling stuff at conventions or selling shirts online either. It's probably just not something that's on their radar; it's not like they have a big vinyl operation bootleggers are cutting into.

Yeah but people like IGN and the like will now drag it into a more prominent spotlight.

Hilarious that IGN did not fact check a damn thing regarding that story. TTL probably sold out of them months ago and just had the listings up still.

rpbtz

Is it just me or does the recent teasers but lack of any actual announcements feel like the calm before the storm?

the flood gates are opened, this will be a big year for game vinyl!

Just hope a lot of retro releases are in there. in b4 COD BLOPS4 Prestige Edition comes with a vinyl ost

Top Bottom