• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAME spit out dummies over PS3 Oblivion.

Mmmkay

Dr Zhivago said:
Nope, it's a perfectly good UK English expression. 'Dummy' = 'Pacifier' in this context.
I know that a dummy is, dummy. But the origins of the phrase are in Australia.

bengraven

240px-Redd_Foxx1.jpg

What you talking about dummies?

So when you guys got the Vin Deisel movie (titled "The Pacifier" in the US) did they call it "The Dummy"? That would probably me a more apt title...

Yagharek

Just on a somewhat related note ...

In Australia (same version of the game) the 360 version launched at $99.95 or $109.95 for the fancy collectors edition. Now the PS3 version is $119.95 whilst the 360 and PC versions can be picked up from anywhere between $25 and $49.95.

Why is the PS3 version more expensive at the initial price? Surely it can't just be disc production costs?

nofi

RandomVince said:

In Australia (same version of the game) the 360 version launched at $99.95 or $109.95 for the fancy collectors edition. Now the PS3 version is $119.95 whilst the 360 and PC versions can be picked up from anywhere between $25 and $49.95.

Why is the PS3 version more expensive at the initial price? Surely it can't just be disc production costs?

Because it's new?

FightyF

Banned
InterMoniker said:
Tahrikmili it might surprise you that not everyone has "Jumped In." 9-10 million 360 owners is a lot, but the PSP has 20 million users already put that in your M$ pipe and smoke it.

Why don't you shut up, this junior CAPCOWNED has better points than your one liners...

I guess I'm an idiot too
Indifferent2.gif

Ubisoft uber conspiracy Af00t o_0

j/k

Shut up Junior: The Sequel

I think the big concern is whether or not this will occur with other titles in the future. It's a valid concern on the part of retailers...but sorta bizarre that it came up with this specific title.

pilonv1

RandomVince said:

360 version published by Take 2.
PS3 version publihed by Ubisoft.

pilonv1 said:
360 version published by Take 2.
PS3 version publihed by Ubisoft.
Or simply that the 360 has a larger install base, thus selling at a premium price initially (GAME sold for £50). Then continuing to sell at a lower price point later on to new console owners. The publisher will drop the price- when they have some software on the same platform they have to compete with.

DrXym

nofilter said:
This is speculation, apparently, but 'quite likely'.

Lock if old, etc.

Basically, GAME aren't prepared to pay Ubisoft what they're asking for PS3 Oblivion, so GAME won't be selling it (in-store and online). Basically, they can't make enough money on it, despite being £50.

I checked today, this indeed does appear to be the case. Gameplay are doing the same thing (not sure if the two companies are related, sorry).

Glad I imported it now.

The price of Oblivion in Europe is ridiculous. It's something like 75 euros when the US version can be had for $60. Considering there is no online or multiplayer issues to muddy the waters, I know where I'd recommend people buy their copy.

I'm so glad Sony are selling their 1st party titles for 60 euros because hopefully it will force the scalpers like Ubisoft to sell their titles at realistic prices.

DrXym said:
I'm so glad Sony are selling their 1st party titles for 60 euros because hopefully it will force the scalpers like Ubisoft to sell their titles at realistic prices.
Selling first party titles is to sweeten the sale of a console- Sony knows they have some AAA first party stuff which could sell at the premium price. However with such an expensive console and an install base to build they simply sell it on the cheap knowing they'll break even easily on early adopters.

Publishers will only ever lower their prices if there is third party competition, or an install base that means they can break even easier without harvesting all potential sales (profit).

New third party games will probably be cheaper in Europe by Fall.

nofi

Visualante said:
Selling first party titles is to sweeten the sale of a console- Sony knows they have some AAA first party stuff which could sell at the premium price. However with such an expensive console and an install base to build they simply sell it on the cheap knowing they'll break even easily on early adopters.

Publishers will only ever lower their prices if there is third party competition, or an install base that means they can break even easier without harvesting all potential sales (profit).

New third party games will probably be cheaper in Europe by Fall.

Hope so (great username, by the way) - the 3rd party situation here in the UK is a bit of a joke on the PS3 (and the 360 too) - £50 a game ($95) is the norm.

Oblivion is better on the PS3 at face value (although missing Achievements, DLC etc) but it is a year old game and Ubisoft should be selling it at £40 maximum, IMO.

Shompola

Banned
nofilter said:
Because it's new?

He's saying that the collectors edition initially cost less than the PS3 version. And I dont get the Xbox 360 userbase is larger either. The game was released over a year ago on Xbox 360, and if the user base was larger, the difference in numbers is negliable.

nofi

Shompola said:
He's saying that the collectors edition initially cost less than the PS3 version. And I dont get the Xbox 360 userbase is larger either. The game was released over a year ago on Xbox 360, and if the user base was larger, the difference in numbers is negliable.

Yup, I see that now, sorry.

For what it's worth, both the 360 and the PS3 versions were £50 here in the UK. The 360 one still is if you buy from HMV, Virgin etc.

Top Bottom