• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game with most replay value and game with least replay value?

Vaelka

What are yours?
Not necessarily your favorite games or least favorite, but just in terms of replay value. It can be a game you really love but you feel like having played it once was enough and you have no urge to play it again.

For me the game that come to mind with the most replay value would be Total War Warhammer with the Mortal Empires campaign.
Diablo 2 is timeless to me but Warhammer I basically can play forever and never get bored of. There's a large map, randomness, so many factions, mods both on a small and large scale, so much RP potential if you want to do that and also I am a big Warhammer fan.
Only negative really is that it's expensive as hell.

The game with least replay value is a bit harder, in general tho linear story games have very little to no replay value for me.
I have a hard time choosing just one.
But a good comparison that comes to mind is RE3R compared to RE2R and RE1R.
The latter two have so much replay value imo while RE3R is more linear and feels more like you're just going through set pieces, it feels too controlled imo and it makes it have way less replay value I think.
I never feel like I want to replay it again.

But Skyrim comes to mind too.
I remember enjoying the game a lot when it came out, but I keep trying to replay it again and again including with mods and everytime I uninstall it shortly after.
The game just feels so lifeless and shallow in comparison with Morrowind or even Oblivion to me. And I've tried to make it work so many times because I like the sandbox adventure idea but I just can't.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This gen I would say Fire Emblem Three Houses I put over 300 + hours in to the game, but overall Dissidia on PSP, I put unhealthy amount of time in to this game and I only played the single player.

The game with least replay value was Order 1886, because for me it honesty felt like I was playing E3 tech demo that developers would play in conference to show off the graphics.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
I've completed Bloodborne more than 30 times, with one of my characters being in NG+19.

I think it's fair to say that the game has some replay value to it.

Borderlands 2 is my most replayed game followed by Diablo 3. Least replay value would probably be something like Gone Home or Life is Strange as they lack even play value, let alone replay.

DelireMan7

Any SoulsBorne for me. Completed multiple runs on each with a different build each time and still having idea for new ones.

Less replay values ? a lot of AAA I would say. I love Horizon Zero Dawn but the replay value is pretty weak.

turtlepowa

Banned
Pretty simple. Heavily story driven cinematic games have very low to zero replay value for me. Gameplay focused games have a very high replay value.

Vaelka

Any SoulsBorne for me. Completed multiple runs on each with a different build each time and still having idea for new ones.

Less replay values ? a lot of AAA I would say. I love Horizon Zero Dawn but the replay value is pretty weak.

The Souls games come to mind too for me, but I feel exhausted after I've finished them xD.
It's basically games I will play again in the future, but I gotta be in the right mindset and I do it once then put it down for a while.
A game like TW:Warhammer on the other hand I can pick up whenever.

DelireMan7

The Souls games come to mind too for me, but I feel exhausted after I've finished them xD.
It's basically games I will play again in the future, but I gotta be in the right mindset and I do it once then put it down for a while.
A game like TW:Warhammer on the other hand I can pick up whenever.

Haha. I remembered with Dark Souls, as soon as I beat the game the first I was doing is to press “New game” and start over with a new character. And this went for around 15 characters in a row xD

It was the same for the others but not with so many characters.
And I come back to them regularly (especially Dark Souls 1)

I was never a fan of the NG+ feature since it means replaying with the same “finished” character. The fun is to build your character for me, once it’s done I loose a bit the interest. The only exception was Bloodborne where I like so much my first character that I did with pleasure a NG+(but after several other characters).

Bankai

Most: Skyrim
Played it through & through on Xbox360, PC and PSVR

Least: short SP indie games, like Hydrophobia (PS3), Child of Light (PS4), Pony Island (PC) and Among the Sleep (PC)

There are also big AAA games, which I don't want to play anymore, after I finished em. Just because it's "done". Games like Uncharted series and the Tombraiders. They're really "1x to completion" games.

I've been replaying the Resident Evil games multiple times this past month. Something about them is so easy to just pick up and play, with Resident Evil 6 being an exception.
It helps that I'm really good at these games and that it follows a somewhat linear path towards the goal, giving me an incentive to replay and try to beat it faster than previous playthroughs.

The game with the least replay value would probably be any RPG game ever. Persona 5 comes to mind. It's a good game, but after your 100-200 hour playthrough, there's no incentive for me to ever want to touch the game in a long time.

I only pick pretty recent games, Ok?

Best replay value: Katana Zero, Tlou remastered, Gta V, Wolfenstein TNO comes to mind first, and pretty much every Telltale game has awesome replay value due to multiple paths
Do games where I play online count? If so, Destiny 2 and Warzone are monsters

Less replayable: Tlou2, Horizon, God of War, and Rdr2 is the worst ever, a fuckin long and boring campaign i'll never replay, but It's a very good game overall

Less replayable: Tlou2, Horizon, God of War, and Rdr2 is the worst ever, a fuckin long and boring campaign i'll never replay, but It's a very good game overall
Any time a game tries hard to be realistic, the less inclined I am to want to go back and play it again. RDR2, by design, is such a slog to go through due to it trying to ground itself in reality that it fails at the one thing that it should aim for: being a fun game.

brian0057

Banned
MOST:
  • Deus Ex series.
  • Thief trilogy.
  • System Shock 1 and 2.
  • Hitman series (sans Absolution. Fuck that game).
  • The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall.
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
LEAST:
  • Literally anything by Sony and Hideo Kojima (with the exception of Ground Zeroes)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Most replay value: Good shooters. If I added up the time playing COD games, since COD 4 it's literally like a month of my life.

Least: Any short SP game (the kind you can beat on a Saturday afternoon and never want to play again)

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
For me personally,

OG Resident Evil 1996 has the best replay value for me. Can be as long or as short as you want it to be. There's like at least 6 different ways to play it and see new things each time. Unlockables for completing the game in a certain amount of time. Gameplay is flawless.

Worst replay value.....hard to say but I'll be inflammatory and go with Wind Waker. Never was a big fan of it. Always feels like a slog even with the QOL improvements in the HD version. I know it's dear to people but I find it to be one of the most boring games I've ever played. Different strokes for different folks. I finally beat it for the first time last year and have no desire to ever go back.

Last edited:
For me personally,

OG Resident Evil 1996 has the best replay value for me. Can be as long or as short as you want it to be. There's like at least 6 different ways to play it and see new things each time. Unlockables for completing the game in a certain amount of time. Gameplay is flawless.

Worst replay value.....hard to say but I'll be inflammatory and go with Wind Waker. Never was a big fan of it. Always feels like a slog even with the QOL improvements in the HD version. I know it's dear to people but I find it to be one of the most boring games I've ever played. Different strokes for different folks. I finally beat it for the first time last year and have no desire to ever go back.
I'm gonna go even deeper and say that the Zelda games I've played are not my cup of tea. I've tried A Link to the Past, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess. None clicked with me. I've given up trying to give this franchise a chance.

Resident Evil 3 remake has tons of replay value reflected in its trophies.

Pretty much any Ubisoft game ties for the least replay value.
It gets a lot of flak, but I agree with that. Short but sweet, which makes it replayable.

Last edited:

Plantoid

Wow and dota 2....

Less replay value: portal & portal 2.. once you know the puzzles it loses all the fun

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
Borderlands 2 is my most replayed game followed by Diablo 3. Least replay value would probably be something like Gone Home or Life is Strange as they lack even play value, let alone replay.

BL series in general from my POV. Its so different with each character and its the only series I never saw anyone being way OP no matter what difficulty we played. Too bad the new one is basically dead and trying to get into a game has been terrible. I now they will hype another but its dead.

zcaa0g

Banned
UT 2004 with most replay value. Loved the purity of 99 but 2004 was ridiculous with the game modes.

Myst with least replay value.

DavidGzz

Replay: Any Diablo.

No replay: Single player straight shot games. Most recent was Jedi Fallen Order. You can't create a build or use different weapons and armor sets so it has nothing compared to Dark Souls for example. Linear games can have a lot of replay if they add challenges. Resident Evil 3 Remake for example. Unlocking the coins and weapons was a blast.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Halo Master Chief Collection.
Technically people have been playing Halo 1, 2, and 3 for over 13 years now. 20 years for H1 alone.
They all still hold up, especially the multiplayer. Most multiplayer titles die completely within 1-2 year(s) - if they're lucky.

People will still be playing the MCC 20 years FROM now.

I would say Counter-Strike is in in the same boat as well.

Mozzarella

Personally i dont replay games a lot, i try to go back to a saved point to do another choice or path. That said i completed Dark Souls and Bloodborne many times, Dark Souls 3 in particular i finished 5 times.
I played Skyrim 2 times.
I played Witcher 3 two times.

Anyway all that does not even compare to those two genres:
1- Multiplayer Games which is obvious, you replay them cause thats the only way, duh.. also playing with friends
2- Roguelikes/Roguelites: Strangely this genre is the most replayable to me, I always do few runs every few days, due to their random loot and map, they have a lot of replay value, pretty much its safe to say that you cannot finish any Roguelike-Roguelite without at least replaying it 5+ times.

RPGs have good replay value too. WRPG at that, a lot of different outcomes. Baldur's Gate comes to mind. VTMB too. New Vegas.

Interactive Walking Simulator like Firewatch and SOMA i only play once. Cinematic driven games like The Last of Us or Uncharted i only play them once, Open world action-adventure with no different outcomes or interesting characters/story like Horizon Zero Dawn i only played once. Not only that i play them once and then uninstall them. That doesnt mean they are forgettable though, SOMA for example is memorable game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom