• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gameblog.fr: PS4 Neo to be announced on September 7 in New York

From the leaked Doc:
XTO08w6.png

Late September games can't avoid it.

I pray so hard they announce at TGS that FFXV will be Neo ready at launch.

Neo needs to be released early Oct or Late Sept... I want to play FFXV in the best possible form at launch.

I waited more than a decade.. I can step on my heart and wait a little longer.... hopefully... wishfully...

onQ123

Who am I ? Not a PR. Native res means what it means. Plain and simple. Reconstruction, alteration or whatever, is not native. Calling it 4k is PR talk.. And yes, I know what you mean.

The final render is the resolution & if that final resolution is 4K then it's 4K. you can say that it's cheating & call it PR but it's still 4K.

It's like tile based rendering it's broke up into smaller parts but the final buffer is the resolution.

The God

This really feels like Sony's Sega Saturn moment to me.

With Microsoft, I think they can get away with Scorpio because the Xbox One is weaker than the PS4 and well, they are Microsoft.

With Sony, they are handily winning the generation and no one is really begging for a hardware update. People seem pretty content with what they have right now. So why do it? You are #1 and you are about to tell people that the console everyone bought in droves is obsolete and you need to upgrade.

Maybe since people are used to upgrading their cell phones people are more accepting of hardware refreshes these days and I think that's what Sony is banking on. Still, from someone who lived through all of Sega's crazy add-ons, this feels very similar and I think it could seriously hurt them.

I liked the idea of a PS4k which simply had a UHD drive and 4k capabilities like the Xbox One S ended up doing. That simply gives people that want 4k an option. A complete hardware upgrade though, it just sounds like bad news unless it's 2 years away.

I'm starting to think it's more about trying to compete with PC gaming than anything.

I wouldn't be surprised at an october launch. Also wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people make impulse purchases for the neo when they're not able to find the psvr in stores due to it being sold out.

You know, I hadn't thought of that. And now that I have, it makes a lot more sense of why they would release PSVR and Neo at the same time. That's not a bad marketing strategy at all.

Gitaroo

But Tabata said they aren't working on a Neo patch as of now so I don't know is this document is relevant in this particular aspect anymore.

The game also meet neo requirement technically with resolution scaling all the way up to 1080p. Maybe the game will runs at 1080p all the time on neo without any tweaking require due to its dynamic resolution nature. I think the min requirement for neo is just 1080p native res, anything else is up the the dev. So technically nobody is require to do day 1 patch unless dev want to go ahead with the checker board resolution.

I pray so hard they announce at TGS that FFXV will be Neo ready at launch.

Neo needs to be released early Oct or Late Sept... I want to play FFXV in the best possible form at launch.

I waited more than a decade.. I can step on my heart and wait a little longer.... hopefully... wishfully...

THIS X a million!
You speak directly to my heart this all I want, Tabata can you hear me, hear the cry of the advent children.

wouwie

I still don't understand why Sony is releasing a new console this year. I was always convinced they did it because Microsoft was working on a new console but since that one will probably release a year later, even that doesn't make sense anymore. It just seems like a very bad decision. They are doing great with PS4 so why not wait and release something more powerful and closer to Microsoft's specs next year. I can't believe they are just going to go ahead and watch themselves being outdone in a big way spec wise next year. It just doesn't make any sense at all to me. As a playstation owner, i don't look forward to a period of inferior 3rd party titles again once both consoles are out, just like we did with the PS3 but this time with a lot bigger gap...

farisr

My guess is that they will only worry about Neo after the game's release.
I wouldn't expect patches to be worked on before a game actually goes gold, which Final Fantasy XV hasn't, so news of them not working on a neo patch is not surprising. After all, late september games only require the day 1 patch rather than a neo mode in the shipped game like games from october onwards.

Plus the only thing they need to guarantee is that the game runs at 1080p, and at a same or better framerate than the base ps4 version.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Your screen doesn't show up. And yes, it matters. It's not about lenghty names, it's about facts.
Sorry, I've re-hosted it, but not it's probably re-compressed. I got it from a DF article about new Rainbow 6.

kOhwchU.jpg

It's hard to disagree that this looks better than a game with a native 1080p framebuffer with no or poor AA. So, a dev saying that they rendered this at 1080p with checkered rendering is more than justified in my eyes.

If true, will be trading in PS4 for dat upgrade day 1...if the price is right of course.

where, game stop?
How much store credit do they give you now, when will be the best time?

(Sony's VR project was codenamed "Morpheus," both a reference to the sci-fi movie The Matrix)
^ I did not know this.

Drangleic

Neo Member
Here is a recap all of Gameblog's scoops over the years: http://www.gameblog.fr/news/57445-infos-gameblog-florilege-de-nos-scoops-nationaux-et-internat

Don't be fooled by haters who have no idea what they're talking about.

Oh please, cut the crap.

You keep telling yourself that. The record speaks for itself.

All of this is written by a man who's workin on this site. This man and his team on gameblog are calling themselves journalists... What a joke... Especially this Romain and of course his boss Julien Chieze...
Most of their news are clickbait. In france they have no credibility at all !

Scrawnton

Patrick also stayed in his article he heard finalized dev kits will be sent out at that time.

Not sure on the October release date now.

Edit: but theyd be crazy to announce it and not release it before Black Friday, because if it's not releasing this year Sony will be killing PS4s holiday sales by announcing this.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
All of this is written by a man who's workin on this site. This man and his team on gameblog are calling themselves journalists... What a joke... Especially this Romain and of course his boss Julien Chieze...
Most of their news are clickbait. In france they have no credibility at all !
It's a fair game to egg on them for whatever, but they almost certainly got this piece of info right, and were first to do so.

jeffc919

No one is saying the PS4 is going to be obsolete. Sony certainly isn't. The PS4 will have full compatibility with every single title that's on the Neo. This leaves consumers with a less expensive option in the standard PS4 for those who don't have a ton of extra money, or aren't huge gamers, or don't care a ton about graphics. More hardcore gamers or consumers who are willing to shell out the extra cash can opt for the Neo. It's a win-win.

It is a win-win but I think there is a group of people that don't want to spend $ on another console yet but also don't want anyone else to have something newer and better. It doesn't matter that the original PS4 will still do everything it always did and still be able to play all the new games. Those games will look and/or perform better on the new console so the original PS4 will no longer be the best available experience. Not a criticism of anyone at all. There's a good chance I buy a Neo myself partly for the same reason. Playing a game and knowing there is a better version it out there will bug me.

It is a win-win but I think there is a group of people that don't want to spend $ on another console yet but also don't want anyone else to have something newer and better. It doesn't matter that the original PS4 will still do everything it always did and still be able to play all the new games. Those games will look and/or perform better on the new console so the original PS4 will no longer be the best available experience. Not a criticism of anyone at all. There's a good chance I buy a Neo myself partly for the same reason. Playing a game and knowing there is a better version it out there will bug me.
Does it bug you that there's better looking and performing PC versions of games out there now?

farisr

Patrick also stayed in his article he heard finalized dev kits will be sent out at that time.

Not sure on the October release date now.
I assumed finalized dev kit meant final retail model in dev kit mode. But I don't know much about development so I could easily be wrong.

The final render is the resolution & if that final resolution is 4K then it's 4K. you can say that it's cheating & call it PR but it's still 4K.

It's like tile based rendering it's broke up into smaller parts but the final buffer is the resolution.

It's not native, that's all. If it was that simple, why wouldn't everyone do so ? Because it's not the same as native res.

Sorry, I've re-hosted it, but not it's probably re-compressed. I got it from a DF article about new Rainbow 6.

kOhwchU.jpg

It's hard to disagree that this looks better than a game with a native 1080p framebuffer with no or poor AA. So, a dev saying that they rendered this at 1080p with checkered rendering is more than justified in my eyes.

It looks blurrier though. Sure, it's jaggy less, but the IQ isn't clean at all.

Gator86

I hope Sony can actually produce a convincing case for the Neo. They need to go hard with comparisons that show the benefit of extra power for both existing and future titles.

wapplew

They skip E3 mainly because games wasn't ready to show, so they will for sure have games ready to show in this event right?
I just want to see some new footage of GoW!

That's a problem with the individual. Not a problem with the model Sony is moving forward with.

I still don't understand why Sony is releasing a new console this year. I was always convinced they did it because Microsoft was working on a new console but since that one will probably release a year later, even that doesn't make sense anymore. It just seems like a very bad decision. They are doing great with PS4 so why not wait and release something more powerful and closer to Microsoft's specs next year. I can't believe they are just going to go ahead and watch themselves being outdone in a big way spec wise next year. It just doesn't make any sense at all to me. As a playstation owner, i don't look forward to a period of inferior 3rd party titles again once both consoles are out, just like we did with the PS3 but this time with a lot bigger gap...

It's not a new console... Neo to sony is a premium PS4, both are the same console and the same gen with one life cycle... one is basic with mid-rang GPU and the other is premium with high-range GPU... it has nothing to do with MS and their next console who is almost a next gen XBOX with forward/backward library.

Both Sony and MS said they are heading in their own direction.

They'll be leapfrogged by MS holiday 2017, and then they'll probably leapfrog MS themselves holiday 2018. And so on and so forth. This will be the model going forward. Iterative consoles with full forward/backward compatibility. I'm all for it.

wapplew

They'll be leapfrogged by MS holiday 2017, and then they'll probably leapfrog MS themselves holiday 2018. And so on and so forth. This will be the model going forward. Iterative consoles with full forward/backward compatibility.

You can't be sure about that.

jeffc919

Does it bug you that there's better looking and performing PC versions of games out there now?

PC / console is a little bit different though. There are all sorts of other reasons why someone might favor consoles despite PC offering the best looking and best performing games. Anyway, I was just trying to say that I understand the mindest to some extent. If I know there is a better console version of the game available, I'll be tempted to go out and get that version. The existence of one version doesn't change anything about the other, but I think knowing that one is better will devalue the other one for some people.

onQ123

It's not native, that's all. If it was that simple, why wouldn't everyone do so ? Because it's not the same as native res.

It looks blurrier though. Sure, it's jaggy less, but the IQ isn't clean at all.

When you say native do you even know what it means or are you just sticking to that word because it's what you are used to people using?

4K using checkerboard rendering or any other more efficient rendering technique is still native 4K. it's just done in a non traditional way. the final frame buffer is 4K.

jbug617

Banned
They'll be leapfrogged by MS holiday 2017, and then they'll probably leapfrog MS themselves holiday 2018. And so on and so forth. This will be the model going forward. Iterative consoles with full forward/backward compatibility. I'm all for it.

Going off what Shawn Layden said don't expect them to leap frog MS till 2019.

Sony announced by themselves in front of their investors that they aren't going to follow the path of Iterative consoles.

Both MS and SONY have their own different visions.

Top Bottom