• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gameblog.fr: PS4 Neo to be announced on September 7 in New York

THE:MILKMAN

Exclusive photo of the new PS4x4:

mdybiko.jpg

I tried a PS4K joke. It bombed harder than the Wii U.

Lady Gaia

I'm sure I read a post in one of the many Neo threads there was a feature of Neo that hasn't leaked yet. Anyone else remember? (sorry, it is a bit vague)

I've heard exactly the same vague comments from someone close enough to be credible, but I haven't pushed for details (nor am I entirely certain they'd know more than "something is being held back.") As it happens, I like surprises so I'm looking forward to the official reveal.

Lady Gaia

I think the min requirement for neo is just 1080p native res, anything else is up the the dev. So technically nobody is require to do day 1 patch unless dev want to go ahead with the checker board resolution.

Not true. Games that are being certified before October will only run in base mode. All games from October onward must run in both base mode which is equivalent to PS4 hardware, and in Neo mode which enables higher clocks speeds, more available compute units, and so forth. A developer who doesn't intend to do anything must still ensure everything works with the enhanced hardware specifications.

It is possible they won't have to change a line of code, but starting in September releases do have an obligation to get a day one patch in certification according to the leaks we've seen.

What's the secret sauce though?

Hmmm....

I would think PS1/PS2 b/c would be a nice bonus but Sony is doing classics thing and I do like returning to PS2 games with trophies so I don't mind, PS1 classic support would be really nice though.

Hmmm besides better specs, B/C what could be a major feature that would still surprise people?

VR is the new thing this gen I figured.

jeffc919

Slightly off topic but I currently have 2 PS4s. A day 1 unit that I've since given to my son, and a newer one that is about 6 months old. The only noticeable difference I've seen is that the newer one has physical buttons for on/off and eject. If I upgrade to Neo, I'll most likely sell one of them. The easiest (least work) thing would be to sell my newer PS4, but I'm wondering if it's worth the headache of getting all my son's stuff reinstalled on my newer box and then selling the older one. The older one has more hours on it for whatever that's worth.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
That's what I'm hoping too. Basically new hardware available twice as often and new games always working on the 2 most recent releases. That gives enthusiests the option to upgrade their obsolete hardware more often and it gives the more casual customers the option to skip every other iteration if they want to.

They have an option to upgrade to a console which will not be used in full until a successor is released... essentially this gets more of an issue the shorter the interval and the worth of being an early adopter becomes more and more bragging rights than actual tangible benefits...

QaaQer

No, you're comparing oranges and apples here. You'd have a point if we were talking about content being shot at such res.

I mean, what's so complicated with the word native ? As long as it requires reconstruction, approximation or any kind of technique, it's not native. Your exemple is totally off because you're comparing two different things. IQ is altered because of the way it's displayed from the unit to the screen. Here, we're talking about the image the unit is sending. Not the mean it's using to send it.

Technical vs layperson definitions of words often cause conflict, even ones that seem simple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4XT-l-_3y0

Slightly off topic but I currently have 2 PS4s. A day 1 unit that I've since given to my son, and a newer one that is about 6 months old. The only noticeable difference I've seen is that the newer one has physical buttons for on/off and eject. If I upgrade to Neo, I'll most likely sell one of them. The easiest (least work) thing would be to sell my newer PS4, but I'm wondering if it's worth the headache of getting all my son's stuff reinstalled on my newer box and then selling the older one. The older one has more hours on it for whatever that's worth.

Sell the noisiest one.

QaaQer

Trying to decide the same thing myself, im leaning more towards the Neo though

PSVR will have great resale value even if used at least until 10 days before christmas. You might even make a profit.

Get psvr, see if you like/love it enough to keep it. PS4K won't be nearly as supply constrained.

So is the scorpio actually more powerful? Gonna be interesting to see how they present it.

12 months later and more expensive?

sora87

12 months later and more expensive?

I meant how they're gonna present the ps4k knowing there's a more powerful console coming next year from their competitor. I guess the mind share is with playstation these days though so they probably don't care.

QaaQer

I meant how they're gonna present the ps4k knowing there's a more powerful console coming next year from their competitor. I guess the mind share is with playstation these days though so they probably don't care.

Oh, sorry. I think it'll be enough to use the old 'most powerful console ever' jazz until it isn't. People will feel it is premium even after Scorpio. Perception > reality in marketing.

farisr

So is the scorpio actually more powerful? Gonna be interesting to see how they present it.
I don't think their plans for the presentation are gonna be any different than it was from before ms announced the scorpio so far in advance, aside from maybe avoiding mentioning how many TFlops the neo is.

Gradly

I think the design will be the same only the back will be straight not skewed.

I actually want a DS4 refresh especially the share/options buttons, both feel like an afterthought. I also wish they use icons/symbols instead of writing share and options similar to the approach used in Xbox one controller

Metfanant

99% chance that Scorpio is significantly more powerful...

How do they present it? By not even acknowledging Scorpio exists (frankly because it doesn't)...you sell it as the most powerful console ever made, and you show off upgraded visuals, and it's UHD bluray drive, and play up 4k support...

QaaQer

I think the design will be the same only the back will be straight not skewed.

I actually want a DS4 refresh especially the share/options buttons, both feel like an afterthought. I also wish they use icons/symbols instead of writing share and options similar to the approach used in Xbox one controller

I was an elite controller naysayer, but it is really nice. I'm having a really hard time going back to my ps4 just because of the lack of paddles and quality dpad on the ds4.

Elite isn't perfect though, eg. non symmetric sticks, using AA batteries, and weighing 1.2kg.

JackDT

Reposting the Patrick and Austin NEO Periscope, because I though it was more interesting than the news story as it covers rumors and things they've heard but didn't put in the story:

https://www.periscope.tv/w/1MYxNzPpYWoxw

Neo is required to keep games at their existing visual fidelity in VR, regular PS4 requires downgrades.

Lady Gaia

I mean, what's so complicated with the word native ? As long as it requires reconstruction, approximation or any kind of technique, it's not native.

Real-time graphics are all about approximation and shorthand techniques for producing visuals with the least work possible. Screen-space ambient occlusion and reflections are classic examples of shortcuts that get used all the time. The fact that we're starting to blur resolution definitions with temporal reconstruction techniques is just an extension of that well-established habit. It's also the only way we'll get close to 4K with consoles in the next few years, at least without making major sacrifices elsewhere in image quality.

If your rule is that you need a native resolution buffer with per-pixel computation to determine the color it should be then checkerboard rendering actually does exactly that. It's just that it only recomputes 1/4 of the pixels in each frames using entirely traditional means, considers only geometry for another 1/4, and uses the content of the prior frame as a reference to decide how to fill in the gap that represent the other half.

While it's not remotely the same thing as encoded video, it's true that both rely on limitations in our ability to perceive content to deliver a pleasing approximation. We talk about 4K video all the time even though even UHD Blu-ray doesn't preserve pixel-for-pixel details for every frame. Far more than 3/4 of those pixels are reconstructed into the resulting 3840x2160 frame!

goonergaz

What thunder? As far as the general public is concerned, that thing's just words and numbers on a piece of paper and over a year away.

By thunder I just meant the current thinking of some who would rather wait for Scorpio or are doubting if the upgrade is worth it (vs Scorpio).

So if I can only pick one which one should I get GAF:

PS4 Neo

or

PSVR

?

I would go with PSVR because it will actually have exclusive games you can't play on PS4 or Neo. Neo would play the same game you already can play on a PS4 just with a little bump in visuals.

Neo.

PSVR got no killer software..unless you consider re7 and GTS support to be a deciding factor. Honestly, wait 6 months to a year to let the library grow. Cause you gonna be that one guy on Gaf writing a thread about "PSVR got no games" or "games are too simple"

I beg to differ on no killer software on launch period.

Things like Driveclub VR, Here They Lie, RIGS, Rez Infinite and others at launch makes for an incredible launch. With AAA games coming after launch like GTS, RE7, Ace Combat 7, Farpoint and others offering full game campaigns playable in PSVR for hours of entertainment.

goonergaz

Well it's much more powerful (~2.5x) than the current most powerful console and even when Scorpio comes out that will only be ~50% more powerful.

The question is how will MS justify a potential massive cost of Scorpio vs an established and potentially a deal cheaper Neo.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I don't know what this even means.

I think they mean that Neo will play the VR game exactly as it would on the screen, whereas a regular PS4 won't. It would only run the game with a visual downgrade.

t hicks

Banned
PSVR will have great resale value even if used at least until 10 days before christmas. You might even make a profit.

Get psvr, see if you like/love it enough to keep it. PS4K won't be nearly as supply constrained.

yeah this is what i ended up thinking, since the PSVR is already sold out (i got my preorder in on amazon)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
We are getting final Test/Debug kits (assuming final design) at work very, very soon so this date sounds plausable.

That should mean we'll be able to know for sure what the final specs are soon if things keep leaking as much as they have been.

Not that I think they'll change much if at all, just a lot of people speculating on it and it'll be nice to get some closure.

Guymelef

I think they mean that Neo will play the VR game exactly as it would on the screen, whereas a regular PS4 won't. It would only run the game with a visual downgrade.

But this is like saying that PS VR games will look better on Neo, and it's the same for any game, if not, what's the Neo point?

Top Bottom