• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gameblog.fr: PS4 Neo to be announced on September 7 in New York

psyfi

Banned
Exactly. It makes total sense. I've never really entertained any other possibility tbh. I would be pretty surprised if it's not PS4k.
But then everyone without 4K TVs would assume it's not worth buying. I'm sure Sony will come up with a better name that conveys the range of benefits better. New PS4 or PS4+ is way less of a gamble.

Teletraan1

Banned
I actually hope they have a small sized HDD version at launch. I already upgraded my PS4 HDD so paying more for something I am just going to tear out of there again is a waste.

Aranjah

Pretty excited, I have been thinking of getting a PS4 (tired of sitting here with my Xbox and watching you guys get all the games I want ;) ), held off after Neo rumors started, but was getting concerned whether or not it would come out before Horizon releases. Looking forward to getting the full scoop on new features vs. price difference so I can decide which to buy.

One question, though, I keep hearing that "all games will continue support the base system and 'most' will also support the Neo." If a game "doesn't support" Neo, does that just mean it doesn't have anything extra to take advantage of the extra power in the Neo (hope it's this), or is Sony literally about to release a version of the PS4 that can't play all PS4 games (surely not this)?

One question, though, I keep hearing that "all games will continue support the base system and 'most' will also support the Neo." If a game "doesn't support" Neo, does that just mean it doesn't have anything extra to take advantage of the extra power in the Neo (hope it's this), or is Sony literally about to release a version of the PS4 that can't play all PS4 games (surely not this)?

From what I understand, we're talking 100% backward and forward compatibility. If a game doesn't "support" Neo, it just means you're basically running it as you would any normal PS4 games. There's no additional ability to access the higher power in that box, so it won't run any better (or theoretically worse), than it did on the original PS4.

And the only games that won't "support" Neo are those that have already come out if they have no desire to create a Neo patch. (Which will probably be the majority as there would be very little profit in doing so for most titles.) Everything beyond a certain point will be required to "support" Neo, though I imagine that will mean smoothing the framerate or bumping the res and little else for most 3rd party devs.

I haven't heard anything that would make me think differently.

farisr

Pretty excited, I have been thinking of getting a PS4 (tired of sitting here with my Xbox and watching you guys get all the games I want ;) ), held off after Neo rumors started, but was getting concerned whether or not it would come out before Horizon releases. Looking forward to getting the full scoop on new features vs. price difference so I can decide which to buy.

All PS4 games starting from October will "support Neo". They won't be allowed to release on PS4 without doing so. They will need to run in Neo mode, on the ps4 neo. So there isn't going to be a new release from that point onwards that "doesn't support Neo."

But all ps4 games, regardless of whether they have a Neo mode built in or not, will still work on the Neo. The PS4 Neo can play all ps4 games.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if we get some cases of the games that run in "neo mode" running the exact same as the base ps4 version because the dev didn't have time/budget to put work into that mode.

From what I understand, we're talking 100% backward and forward compatibility. If a game doesn't "support" Neo, it just means you're basically running it as you would any normal PS4 games. There's no additional ability to access the higher power in that box, so it won't run any better (or theoretically worse), than it did on the original PS4.

And the only games that won't "support" Neo are those that have already come out if they have no desire to create a Neo patch. (Which will probably be the majority as there would be very little profit in doing so for most titles.) Everything beyond a certain point will be required to "support" Neo, though I imagine that will mean smoothing the framerate or bumping the res and little else for most 3rd party devs.

I haven't heard anything that would make me think differently.

It depends on BC implementation. If the architectures are very close (which they are), there's a chance that older games, without Neo mode, could have less framerate drops or that games with dynamic scaling would drop resolution less due to extra Neo power.

Or maybe they'll do a 1:1 BC where you won't get anything extra. We'll find out soon.

All PS4 games starting from October will "support Neo". They won't be allowed to release on PS4 without doing so. They will need to run in Neo mode, on the ps4 neo. So there isn't going to be a new release from that point onwards that "doesn't support Neo."

But all ps4 games, regardless of whether they have a Neo mode built in or not, will still work on the Neo. The PS4 Neo can play all ps4 games.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if we get some cases of the games that run in "neo mode" running the exact same as the base ps4 version because the dev didn't have time/budget to put work into that mode.

I doubt we'll see a lot of those. It's going to be very simple to at least boost the resolution and AA, if nothing else.

It depends on BC implementation. If the architectures are very close (which they are), there's a chance that older games, without Neo mode, could have less framerate drops or that games with dynamic scaling would drop resolution less due to extra Neo power.

Or maybe they'll do a 1:1 BC where you won't get anything extra. We'll find out soon.

You're right. Depending on the code, it is possible some games might simply run better. Hard to know. I am going to assume though that architectures are going to be very to avoid developer headaches and to maintain clean BC. I'd hazard to guess too that calling it BC might even be going too far as I would be surprised if older software wasn't just running natively on the new hardware. As you said though, we should find out soon.

But then everyone without 4K TVs would assume it's not worth buying. I'm sure Sony will come up with a better name that conveys the range of benefits better. New PS4 or PS4+ is way less of a gamble.

I think whether this does anything worthwhile for users who aren't looking for 4k might still be an open question.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
I sold my ps4 before it went down in value, in anticipation of the NEO.

I just want it to be out already so I can play some games again.

farisr

Yeah, really hoping the ps4 mode for the neo isn't purposely limiting the cpu/gpu power available to those games, and that allows the framerates in pre-existing games to improve since there's extra headway.

I know there's still stuff like framerate caps and what not programmed into a game, but say a game is capped at 30, but has occasional drops to 20-25, hopefully the neo is designed in a way that the extra power that it has isn't shuttered off, and the games basically end up running at a steady 30.

But yeah, the best case scenario in my head at this point, is that it'll still only use the 18 compute units from the GPU as that is what the base PS4 had and likely the game programmers had put restrictions for those in the game code itself on how those are used, the boost we'll see is that those 18 compute units are now running at 911Mhz instead of 800Mhz, rather than being able to use all 36 compute units.

Also, the cpu has the same number of cores, so games may be able to dip into the extra power from the cpu there as well, having 2.1Ghz to work with instead of 1.6Ghz. Again, depends on how the game is coded. But yeah, we're seeing slight to noticeable improvements already just from the 61Mhz GPU upclock of the Xbox One S, and the neo has a 111Mhz GPU upclock with a 500Mhz CPU upclock, so I can't help but hope.
I doubt we'll see a lot of those. It's going to be very simple to at least boost the resolution and AA, if nothing else.
Yeah, I don't think we'll see a lot either, just some here and there. The main reason I think we may see some is because the ps4 doesn't have much problems hitting 1080p, and since that is the minimum res requirement for neo some devs may just leave it at that, and the reactions to those games is going to be bad.

iboshow

Banned

If a game doesn't have a Neo mode I assume it could take advantage of the power if the game doesn't have a locked frame rate.

sviri

I sold my ps4 before it went down in value, in anticipation of the NEO.

I just want it to be out already so I can play some games again.

Me too, and as expected I'm starving for another Bloodborne play through. I'm happy to have gotten some decent money for the Neo purchase though.

Top Bottom