• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gameblog.fr: PS4 Neo to be announced on September 7 in New York

Boke1879

I think he said internally at Sony that they are worried about looking outdated.

Word? IMO they shouldn't be concerned at all. Scorpio launches next fall and we haven't seen anything of it yet. But it will look outdated. That's not something that should concern you though. You have a chance to increase marketshare with this thing. I mean if they can boost it even a little bit that's all good, but the big thing will be affordability.

The God

Patrick and Austin just did a periscope talking about Neo. They think it's launching this year, the reason for a tech showcase is because they don't have a game to show ready and there might be a spec bump but not sure how much. Patrick said that since Scorpio got announced Sony is worried about Neo looking outdated.

maybe now people will stop this "Sony isn't thinking/concerned about Scorpio" nonsense

Patrick's cool and all, but I'm going to wait for a water-tight source to confirm, such as jeff_rigby.

be990610-dafe-0132-bff3-0a13eebe068d.gif

Rather be late and right than first and wrong, but dang. As others have said, hat tip to Gameblog.

We still love you.

My only concern is dealing with 2 new product launches at the same time (or same window) let alone talk of also a slim incoming...

I would agree with you, but PSVR pre-orders are sold out and its likely Neo's pre-orders will also sell out. Going to be interesting if they also release a PS4 slim, this would need careful messaging.

Sony are going to benefit with launching the Neo this year as they will be part of the holiday sales rush as well as being on the market 12 months+ before the Scorpio. Next year is more crowded with NX launch and Scorpio specs reveled at E3 (if not leaked before)

dcx4610

This really feels like Sony's Sega Saturn moment to me.

With Microsoft, I think they can get away with Scorpio because the Xbox One is weaker than the PS4 and well, they are Microsoft.

With Sony, they are handily winning the generation and no one is really begging for a hardware update. People seem pretty content with what they have right now. So why do it? You are #1 and you are about to tell people that the console everyone bought in droves is obsolete and you need to upgrade.

Maybe since people are used to upgrading their cell phones people are more accepting of hardware refreshes these days and I think that's what Sony is banking on. Still, from someone who lived through all of Sega's crazy add-ons, this feels very similar and I think it could seriously hurt them.

I liked the idea of a PS4k which simply had a UHD drive and 4k capabilities like the Xbox One S ended up doing. That simply gives people that want 4k an option. A complete hardware upgrade though, it just sounds like bad news unless it's 2 years away.

onQ123

Yes, that's what it means. If it's not done natively, it's not 4k.

If the final render is 4K who are you to say it's not 4K just because it's not done the way you're used to it being done?

I'm not talking about upscaling I'm talking about the final render output being 4K.

Ascenion

We don't want no 4k30 games. Make it run everything at 1080p60 and 4K output for bluray/netflix, call it ps4k and it will dominate the console market until next gen.

No need to worry, if the rumors are true and it is a down clocked 480, 4K is beyond the ability of the card. It could do it though if you're okay with like 10fps on some games. You can safely assure yourself they won't be pushing 4K30.

Curufinwe

With Microsoft, I think they can get away with Scorpio because the Xbox One is weaker than the PS4 and well, they are Microsoft.

With Sony, they are handily winning the generation and no one is really begging for a hardware update. People seem pretty content with what they have right now. So why do it? You are #1 and you are about to tell people that the console everyone bought in droves is obsolete and you need to upgrade.

Maybe since people are used to upgrading their cell phones people are more accepting of hardware refreshes these days and I think that's what Sony is banking on. Still, from someone who lived through all of Sega's crazy add-ons, this feels very similar and I think it could seriously hurt them.

I liked the idea of a PS4k which simply had a UHD drive and 4k capabilities like the Xbox One S ended up doing. That simply gives people that want 4k an option. A complete hardware upgrade though, it just sounds like bad news unless it's 2 years away.

It will sell out at launch and do great for them until a PS5 is ready around 2019/2020.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Keplek reporting this makes me more confident about the reliability of the report.

You see Gameblog? Use reliable sources more, and your reputation will improve :p

Bah. I am going to be on vacation when it is announced. I may miss pre sales. Hopefully it isn't going to sell out.

If the final render is 4K who are you to say it's not 4K just because it's not done the way you're used to it being done?

I'm not talking about upscaling I'm talking about the final render output being 4K.

Who am I ? Not a PR. Native res means what it means. Plain and simple. Reconstruction, alteration or whatever, is not native. Calling it 4k is PR talk.. And yes, I know what you mean.

So, what the ''technical showcase'' really means. Not much about games but more specs and maybe tech demos or something?

Devs have to optimize and release a patch for said games, at the most a first party game can show us some examples. FFXV could benefit from this once Tabata gets a dev kit.

KORNdoggy

I think he said internally at Sony that they are worried about looking outdated.

with staggered release consoles that are leapfrogging each other in regards to specs, at some point they will all look outdated. i mean, scorpio will once sony release PS5. and then PS5 will when MS release xbox two. and then xbox two will when sony release PS5.5 etc etc.

all it does is push people into a single echosystem because the time between consoles is effectively shorter and there is no direct comparison anymore to make a decision...i can't see many people jumping into scorpio only to jump to PS5 2 or 3 years later? but maybe they will?

i think i'm just going to stick with sony now.

jmizzal

We are gonna have more official info on Neo and Scorpio before we even see the NX lol, and we knew about the NX way longer

goonergaz

I would agree with you, but PSVR pre-orders are sold out and its likely Neo's pre-orders will also sell out. Going to be interesting if they also release a PS4 slim, this would need careful messaging.

Sony are going to benefit with launching the Neo this year as they will be part of the holiday sales rush as well as being on the market 12 months+ before the Scorpio. Next year is more crowded with NX launch and Scorpio specs reveled at E3 (if not leaked before)

Totally agree - and my wallet is ready...just need to think about what happens to my 20th anniversary PS4 :(

Without Neo (after the Scorpio announcement) it will look like Sony are standing still. This gives people the option should they want to take it...it's not forced on and this is no 'Sega add-on' type scenario.

onQ123

We don't want no 4k30 games. Make it run everything at 1080p60 and 4K output for bluray/netflix, call it ps4k and it will dominate the console market until next gen.

Devs can make games so that when connected to a 1080P TV the game has a 1080P frame buffer with better graphics & better frame rates.

x-Lundz-x

This is all I want, give me a console that is capable of playing games that look like Uncharted 4 at a locked 1080 / 60 with 4K video capability and I'm set.

We are a full generation away from getting games that will be playable at 4K / 30 IMO.

Mikey Jr.

Patrick and Austin just did a periscope talking about Neo. They think it's launching this year, the reason for a tech showcase is because they don't have a game to show ready and there might be a spec bump but not sure how much. Patrick said that since Scorpio got announced Sony is worried about Neo looking outdated.

Link to this periscope?

Boke1879

Here is the periscope it's like 11min conversation
https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/762677022871216128

Oh I believe you. If Sony truly is worried about Scorpio that's the wrong approach imo. Like stated above eventually all this stuff will look outdated. If they can beef up the console just a bit though I'm happy for it.

That said I can't wait until we get closer to this because you know info will start coming out a bit. This is like a mini E3. Potential NX reveal this month as well? Crazy. Once we get past sept. 30th with FFXV that's when all the games start coming out. Can't wait.

Shinobi. When would you say this thing launches? Not an exact date but do you think this year still holds water?

Considering House comments on Apple style product launches there is no way in hell this isn't coming this year if the reveal is early September.

Tyaren

Hype aside, I expect the games to look identical to OG PS4 games, but with better framerate. With that being said, I hope they blow my low expectations away.

I will wait till Neo comes out to buy FFXV if the game looks better because of it....

After all the hype and great expectations for months in this forum, I probably won't be able to suppress a laugh if it turns out the PS4 Neo is really just meant to play PS4 games in 4K or a nearby lower resolution with the same 30fps and without much other visual improvements if one still uses a 1080p TV. That is what they even said about the more powerful Scorpio if I remember correctly.
I also will be laughing if FFXV won't get the Neo patch because it will release one day prior to the patch requirement and Square Enix isn't a first or second party developer that Sony can pressure to work on a patch ASAP. Tabata already said there are no established plans for a Neo version yet... And Tabata is usually pretty honest and frank.

So you are saying there is a chance #5.5TF :) , this was in the article:

'Another source indicated to VICE Gaming that finalized development kits would be sent to developers around the same time.'

AdanVC

I will take that bet ;)

Gaming news is truly year round and not confined to one mega event. That's good. Stuff like this imo only helps the industry.

how much you willing to wager?

So.. Avatar bet?

Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!

Finall! This means that it's coming out this year.If the reveal event ins next month, it's pretty much guaranteed to be a holiday release at the latest. Andrew house indicated that it was going to be an Apple/Samsumg type of launch for the console. Reveal the console, and release it a few weeks later. Also, that last sentence, LOL. Companies prefer not to be put in a position where the consumer has to choose between devices, they're not going to specifically release the Neo in march just to screw with Nintendo. lmao.

I remember an Andrew House quote from a few weeks ago, stating they like what Apple does with their events and they basically want to do the same thing. So announce new hardware, available very shortly after the event.

I'm going for a late October release. It adds up as developers were told their games should have a Neo mode as of October this year. Oh, and I wouldn't be surprised if Apple has their September event on the same day this year :p

If it's CPU bound, Neo won't change much.

Would gladly take a bet on this.

I doubt Sony or MS are worried about Nintendo.

OT-Exciting times, im eager to see if this thing will be a significant upgrade to PS4.

-d0hv

Well damn I wasn't aware of those statements from Andrew House of launching this console in an Apple-esque way. Holiday release then??? Jesuschrist. Neo, PSVR, big ass gaming lineup for the holidays including The Last Guardian. Sony's bank account is gonna leak with all the moneyz.

This thread is really bringing out the warriors.

Predictably.
It's pretty funny. I remember how power didn't mean anything when the gen started but as soon as we found out Scorpio would be more powerful than the Neo that shit went out the window lol

So if Sony does announce this on the 7th, we're possibly looking at an end of the month release.

FelipeMGM

I know this wont be that much valuable info when it comes to AAA, big budget, graphical showcases games but, I have a couple of indie dev friends, and one of them was notified ~4 months ago about NEO, since their game is coming to PS4 in a couple of months, and as it would be in the released in september/october area, it would need to have a ''NEO mode.''

They wont get a new devkit (at first at least), but Sony is releasing a new firmware for their current one. But this prob will only work for indie devs, which games dont require that much of the GPU power.

Also, Im sure this will be out in 2016, based on the wording Sony used on their briefing with them

Also, there's no way Neo will launch this holiday season... At much, I can see it releasing in march just to screw Nintendo up since it's when they will launch the NX.

If that were true, they wouldn't announce it in September.

October release date. Mark it.

No one is saying the PS4 is going to be obsolete. Sony certainly isn't. The PS4 will have full compatibility with every single title that's on the Neo. This leaves consumers with a less expensive option in the standard PS4 for those who don't have a ton of extra money, or aren't huge gamers, or don't care a ton about graphics. More hardcore gamers or consumers who are willing to shell out the extra cash can opt for the Neo. It's a win-win.

dracula_x

Shinobi. When would you say this thing launches? Not an exact date but do you think this year still holds water?

I'm not Shinobi, but I repeat what I already posted here:

The blog is hinting that something might happen, regarding PS4 very soon (Aug-Sep)

Price drop or new model

wOWwqrp.jpg

So multiple retailers are actually telling PS4 shortage is incoming. And like some here posted reports are floating around saying Sony already stopped PS4 shipment to some retail channels.

^ this is info from Media Create thread. So according to this, Neo will be released in September I guess.

Ray Down

Banned
After all the hype and great expectations for months in this forum, I probably won't be able to suppress a laugh if it turns out the PS4 Neo is really just meant to play PS4 games in 4K or a nearby lower resolution with the same 30fps and without much other visual improvements if one still uses a 1080p TV. That is what they even said about the more powerful Scorpio if I remember correctly.
I also will be laughing if FFXV won't get the Neo patch because it will release one day prior to the patch requirement and Square Enix isn't a first or second party developer that Sony can pressure to work on a patch ASAP. Tabata already said there are no established plans for a Neo version yet... And Tabata is usually pretty honest and frank.

From the leaked Doc:
XTO08w6.png

Late September games can't avoid it.

farisr

If that were true, they wouldn't announce it in September.

October release date. Mark it.
I wouldn't be surprised at an october launch. Also wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people make impulse purchases for the neo when they're not able to find the psvr in stores due to it being sold out.

They'll justify it by going "well I'll just get vr later, maybe it'll have a pricedrop by then, or at the very least, the games that are full price right now will be much cheaper by that time, meaning more bang for the buck"

Top Bottom