• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gameblog.fr: PS4 Neo to be announced on September 7 in New York

onQ123

I think this is wrong, I don't think 4k is a mandatory requirement for Neo versions is it - it's just a 'Neo mode' and it will be down to devs where to put the power, effects or upscale (or a mixture) but I can't see devs just going for 4k as not enough people would benefit for the effort.

neo_leak_1.jpg

In the paper it says that the devs should get in touch with them if they can't get their game running at 1800P, to be clear that's 3200 x 1800 as in 4X 900P & not a typo for 1080P

Ascenion

Not much leap frog if both company stick with AMD roadmap. They only can use whatever AMD able to produce.
Unless someone break bank to sell at lost, it will be very predictable for everyone.

I'm really hoping one of them gets back on good terms with Nvidia at some point or this is going to get old.

Alej

Banned
It's not native, that's all. If it was that simple, why wouldn't everyone do so ? Because it's not the same as native res.

It looks blurrier though. Sure, it's jaggy less, but the IQ isn't clean at all.

OK then, how would you call that Netflix 4K streaming, YouTube 4K or any compressed 4K flux?

Because it's as 4K as checkerboard (or tile based) rendered 4K.

power isn't everything.. it doesn't even come to the top reasons.
i feel like this arguments gets beat over the head because people assume you are just changing a narrative based on what console you prefer.

- Your preferred console is more powerful it matters
- Your preferred console isn't the most powerful it doesn't

While certain posters do have their agendas, I feel like games should offer the most proof so people can see what really moves hardware. Smash brothers and Splatoon aren't this generation's technical showpiece titles by far, but they, along with Mario Kart, monster hunter, Minecraft and GTA are able to push millions and millions of units. Power matters, just not a whole lot, I don't see why that's so hard to accept? Do we really think the bulk of console gamers are watching DF articles? I love GAF, but we from time to time need to step out of our favorite forum bubble.

I think this is wrong, I don't think 4k is a mandatory requirement for Neo versions is it - it's just a 'Neo mode' and it will be down to devs where to put the power, effects or upscale (or a mixture) but I can't see devs just going for 4k as not enough people would benefit for the effort.

It will be interesting to see, but going for 4k certainly sounds like hat Sony wants devs to push for. Obviously most games aren't going to make it to native 4k, but I predict putting most of the resources there is likely what most devs will do. Spencer made similar comments about how the Scorpio is going to be about pushing 4k. If people don't have 4k tvs, I highly doubt the console is going to notice that and put the resources elsewhere. You just won't see the benefit. (Just like in the original HD transition.)

wapplew

Things I'm excited. Games and design.
Really hoping for a premium design. Don't let me down, Sony's production designer!

OK then, how would you call that Netflix 4K streaming, YouTube 4K or any compressed 4K flux?

Because it's as 4K as checkerboard (or tile based) rendered 4K.

It's called streaming. Not rendering.
So back to the point: Cherckerboard isn't 4k native. This is just PR or damage control.

Cyborg

i feel like this arguments gets beat over the head because people assume you are just changing a narrative based on what console you prefer.

While certain posters do have their agendas, I feel like games should offer the most proof so people can see what really moves hardware. Smash brothers and Splatoon aren't this generation's technical showpiece titles by far, but they, along with Mario Kart, monster hunter, Minecraft and GTA are able to push millions and millions of units. Power matters, just not a whole lot, I don't see why that's so hard to accept? Do we really think the bulk of console gamers are watching DF articles? I love GAF, but we from time to time need to step out of our favorite forum bubble.

Uhmmm I doubt that any of these games sold millions. Maybe not even 1 million

The PS2 was the less powerful console among the 6th generation ones... and yet it gave us games like God of War 2 and SOTC and Okami and FFXII and MGS3.

Plus you really compare the Wii U which is basically ( almost ) last gen console to the PS4 and XboxOne?

No. It's the same idea of economizing bandwidth by finding an efficient way of compressing without altering too much on screen content.

No, you're comparing oranges and apples here. You'd have a point if we were talking about content being shot at such res.

I mean, what's so complicated with the word native ? As long as it requires reconstruction, approximation or any kind of technique, it's not native. Your exemple is totally off because you're comparing two different things. IQ is altered because of the way it's displayed from the unit to the screen. Here, we're talking about the image the unit is sending. Not the mean it's using to send it.

I'm glad days like these I have 2 ps4s makes the decision easier to turn one in for some credit lol.

Does best buy or gamestop take pre orders on new consoles?

Bl@de

I really hope they improve thermals/noise for it. But even with a downclocked Polaris 10 it will most probably still end up at 120W-130W when playing games. And it's unlikely they use a bigger case. So please Sony ... Use a proper copper heatsink and a good fan. Please.
They won't do it :(

THE:MILKMAN

Technical showcase gets me hyped. Hopefully Sony has upped the powah.

I'm excited for what we might not know. Be that a feature or something else.

I'm sure I read a post in one of the many Neo threads there was a feature of Neo that hasn't leaked yet. Anyone else remember? (sorry, it is a bit vague)

Shin-chan

I'm pretty sure he's talking software units, in which case every one has sold at least 2m.

Edit: It's absolutely fan fiction but imagine if PS3 BC was incorporated into this? I think I'd shit myself. I'd finally manage to finish the Yakuza series!

Kyrios

I really hope they improve thermals/noise for it. But even with a downclocked Polaris 10 it will most probably still end up at 120W-130W when playing games. And it's unlikely they use a bigger case. So please Sony ... Use a proper copper heatsink and a good fan. Please.
They won't do it :(

Right they're with ya. I'm crossing my fingers though.

Alej

Banned
No, you're comparing oranges and apples here. You'd have a point if we were talking about content being shot at such res.

I mean, what's so complicated with the word native ? As long as it requires reconstruction, approximation or any kind of technique, it's not native. Your exemple is totally off because you're comparing two different things. IQ is altered because of the way it's displayed from the unit to the screen. Here, we're talking about the image the unit is sending. Not the mean it's using to send it.

How would you call a 1080p game which renders some effects at half res then? Because then you wouldn't have many 1080p games you know.

I'm excited for what we might not know. Be that a feature or something else.

I'm sure I read a post in one of the many Neo threads there was a feature of Neo that hasn't leaked yet. Anyone else remember? (sorry, it is a bit vague)

I recall this as well. It must be the super secret vita 2 on the inside...

How would you call a 1080p game which renders some effects at half res then? Because then you wouldn't have many 1080p games you know.

Then again, it's a different thing ? Shadows, effects, textures, they all have different resolutions. You're trying to make a case with exemples that has nothing to do with it. We could say the same about framerate: Fighting games runs for most of the part at 60fps, but some have animations at lower framerate. It doesn't mean they run at a lower framerate because it's not the game running at this framerate, but a specific element.

You have the scene, and the elements of the scene. That's what you're mixing up. So a 1080p game with 4k shadows, 2k textures and quarter HD effects is a 1080p game, Because that's the resolution the scene is being rendered at. Plain and simple.

yurinka

If the games are mandated to support Neo starting October, the console wouldn't be released before October.

So if they announce it and release it a week later, the console wouldn't be announced September 7. If it's announced September 7 would be released 3 or 4 weeks after that.

Horohoro

Splatoon is over 4M
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/splatoon-joins-wii-u-bestseller-list-with-4m-sales/1100-6434410/

Mario Kart 8 is over 5M
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...s_and_eshop_download_numbers_continue_to_rise

Monster Hunter 4M 3ds/Wii U
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/10/monster_hunter_4_ultimate_passes_four_million_global_sales

Smash Bros. 4M+ combined sales
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/combined-super-smash-bros-wii-u-3ds-us-sales-reach/1100-6426700/

In terms of Units moved MK8 and Smash Bros. prolly moved that many... and Splatoon caused a huge Wii U sale surge in Japan(relatively of course) so maybe worldwide...
Monster Hunter prolly not.

wapplew

Interesting. So not out this year then?

It's not like they need dev kit to build games from zero, they just need them to add some res and frames and QA.
Plus that initial dev kit already out for a while now. Im sure games will be ready this year.

If the games are mandated to support Neo starting October, the console wouldn't be released before October.

So if they announce it and release it a week later, the console wouldn't be announced September 7. If it's announced September 7 would be released 3 or 4 weeks after that.

Two major hardware launches in a month seems crazy to me. I bet it releases in November.

THE:MILKMAN

Two major hardware launches in a month seems crazy to me. I bet it releases in November.

If this September event is legit then a November release should be less likely given Andrew House made a point of talking about Apple's available now strategy....

Edit: I feel I'm hitting my head against a brick wall with the dev kit situation...!

dr_rus

Interesting. So not out this year then?

I doubt that Neo devkits are much different from PS4's, and you can probably emulate the most of Neo on the original devkit if you know the specs. And as someone above said - shipment of final devkits doesn't mean that there aren't beta devkits out there already.

Hyped either way, but would be cool if any of these happened:

1) Announcement that first-party titles (for instanced Bloodborne, U4) will be patched for Neo upgrades.

2) I doubt that there will be a trade-in program, but maybe offer a free Neo-compatible game through PSN for existing PS4 owners?

3) RDR2 announcement, showcase on Neo.

farisr

As I mentioned before, PSVR preorders are sold out and it's gonna be sold out in retail stores really quickly as well. The Neo being there at the same time will become an impulse buy item for people who had money for PSVR on hand but couldn't get one. So an October launch, or a PS Neo launch within a month of the PSVR isn't too crazy.

pottuvoi

Banned
You have the scene, and the elements of the scene. That's what you're mixing up. So a 1080p game with 4k shadows, 2k textures and quarter HD effects is a 1080p game, Because that's the resolution the scene is being rendered at. Plain and simple.
What about game that has 4k output and full 4k resolution rendering of geometry into 4k buffer and has shading done in 1080p?

Top Bottom