• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gameblog.fr: PS4 Neo to be announced on September 7 in New York

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Arrogant prick? I'd love to see how you would react if people shit on what you do all the time all the while spewing fake information about what you do.

People keep refering to stuff that predates my arrival at Gameblog more than two years ago as proof that the site is unreliable. Over the years, and when it comes to "scoops" (and not "reports"), Gameblog has been more right than wrong.

And why don't you quote our long interviews with people from the industry like Phil Spencer, Shuhei Yoshida, Hideo Kojima, Patrice Désilets and so on? Are those shit as well?

Fam don't let fucking NeoGAF posters make you feel like you need to justify yourself.

Reposting the Patrick and Austin NEO Periscope, because I though it was more interesting than the news story as it covers rumors and things they've heard but didn't put in the story:

https://www.periscope.tv/w/1MYxNzPpYWoxw

Neo is required to keep games at their existing visual fidelity in VR, regular PS4 requires downgrades.

This is pretty incredibly interesting that they outright say that Sony has looked at upping the specs of Neo and there is an internal worry that it will look outdated compared to Scorpio

Neo really might get a slight uptick in power. EXCITING

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I don't think reconstruction is that intensive is it? Maybe like 3-4ms of frame time?
It depends on the method, the native rendering resolution, and the final output resolution. We don't know anything specific about Sony's method but I'm expecting it to be on the more complex side compared to other implementations if they're encouraging every dev to utilize it.

This is pretty incredibly interesting that they outright say that Sony has looked at upping the specs of Neo and there is an internal worry that it will look outdated compared to Scorpio

So much for Sony doesn't care about power. Do the right thing Kaz/House.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Which is strange, since two different spec variants were rumored, before Scorpio was known as a thing.

I am calling BS right now on this one.

farisr

Not sure how you avoid such an important number in a tech showcase. It will come out regardless.
It will come out once people have analyzed the specs sure, sure. But they can always dodge stating the TFlops number, by putting the power in terms of the currently existing consoles. 2.3x the power of a ps4, 3.2x the power of an xbox one. etc.

Makes it easier for the journalists, media and general public to latch on. "More than 2 times the power of a ps4" "more than 3 times the power of an xbox one" makes more sense for the non-enthusiast reader than "x teraflops" does.
I think you have to consider Xbox One S is $400 so why would Sony release a console ~3x the power at the same price?
1) It's the 2TB version of the Xbox One S that is $399. The base model is $299.

2) I think you should also consider that Sony launched their more powerful console for $100 cheaper at the start of this gen. If they wanted to, they could've easily priced it the same as the xbox one and justified the console being that price due to the extra power even though it didn't include the camera, but didn't.

3) One of the reasons this console is even coming out is because the cost of doing this versus a slim version of the base ps4 is actually not coming out to that much difference, and it's going to help keep the momentum of ps4 sales going.

The God

I don't think the specs will be the same. I think they will be somewhat improved, but in what manner I don't know. Neo is not a mass market product. The base PS4 is going to remain the best-seller BY FAR for a long te so I don't think Neo needs to hit mass market price right away. Sony doesn't care which one you buy.

Price it higher now, then drop it Fall 2017...

If it $399 same specs I'm gonna be disappointed. I want that red pill. I'm gonna buy it either way though unless the technical showcase is a complete dud. Must play those exclusives in the best way possible.

Why bother revealing it now if it was releasing in a year?

farisr

I thought that a GAF insider (OsirisBlack?) said there were always two versions under consideration and being developed and the leaked documents were from April. It sounded to me like either version could enter the market and neither was ahead or behind the other in terms of development. That said, I personally expect the 4TF model rather than the 5TF one releasing, given that it seemed like the 5TF model would have to launch above $400.
Yeah, development wise it may not have been behind, but Osiris also went onto say that the higher spec option would be next year, and the reason was mainly due to pricing. Sony didn't want to price it above $499, and a next year launch would allow them to achieve that.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So much for Sony doesn't care about power. Do the right thing Kaz/House.

Rumors. All we have are the french blog's info. VIce is just saying they supposedly are backing it up with some other sources. Doesn't mean everything they have heard is true.

Infact, i doubt they know that much beyond the actual date, if that.

THE:MILKMAN

I don't think the specs will be the same. I think they will be somewhat improved, but in what manner I don't know. Neo is not a mass market product. The base PS4 is going to remain the best-seller BY FAR for a long te so I don't think Neo needs to hit mass market price right away. Sony doesn't care which one you buy.

I disagree.

Neo dev kit model #DUT-DBW00JK was around in December 2015 or earlier.
Neo PDF states above dev kit is final spec and good to produce games.
Neo game submissions start ~next week.

I can't see a change in spec outside a bump in RAM/available RAM. I think upping specs at this late stage (in response to Scorpio for example) could cause more issues than it would solve.

I really do think Sony have been cooking Neo for a long time and that they haven't wavered from their plan much if at all.

Arrogant prick? I'd love to see how you would react if people shit on what you do all the time all the while spewing fake information about what you do.

People keep refering to stuff that predates my arrival at Gameblog more than two years ago as proof that the site is unreliable. Over the years, and when it comes to "scoops" (and not "reports"), Gameblog has been more right than wrong.

And why don't you quote our long interviews with people from the industry like Phil Spencer, Shuhei Yoshida, Hideo Kojima, Patrice Désilets and so on? Are those shit as well?

Just ignore them. Some folks on NeoGAF are just mean for the sake of being mean. They aren't worth fighting, I assure you.

Reposting the Patrick and Austin NEO Periscope, because I though it was more interesting than the news story as it covers rumors and things they've heard but didn't put in the story:

https://www.periscope.tv/w/1MYxNzPpYWoxw

Neo is required to keep games at their existing visual fidelity in VR, regular PS4 requires downgrades.

Can someone please summarize what was said here? I'm not downloading the periscope app for it. Would love to know.

Gitaroo

If it $399 same specs I'm gonna be disappointed. I want that red pill. I'm gonna buy it either way though unless the technical showcase is a complete dud. Must play those exclusives in the best way possible.

if that the case then its a fail product right out of the gate and it will struggle through the whole gen. If there is one thing they should have learnt from PS3 last gen in the North America market was a lost of momentun post launch and lost the whole market for the entire gen. Sure you can make more profit off the early adopters, but that is short them gain and long term lost. And of course they care about which box you buy, the Neo probably will have higher profit margin at original PS4 launch prices and the more people buy that instead of the regular ps4 the better. Specs doesn't mean much after the post launch hype, expeically when the competition have already show their card of what they got coming in a year. They only thing they need to focus on is build a box at a mass parket prices release as soon as they can and sell as many as possible to build a large users base until the competitor launch their shiny new box.

If it comes this year, I'm thinking November / December, in time for Christmas but just enough time after October, so not to steal PSVR's thunder.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If it comes this year, I'm thinking November / December, in time for Christmas but just enough time after October, so not to steal PSVR's thunder.
All the PSVR initial shipments are pretty much sold out by preorders and they aren't shipping all that many this year. I don't think there's much of a conflict because of that.

If it's coming out this year, it will be out before Black Friday.

I actually kind of expect it to be out the very beginning of October. There is probably a reason why Sony has their October 1st date for games needing to have Neo modes.

DieH@rd

Banned
Announced, not actually for sale this year right?

Andrew House said that they are looking at "apple style" distance between announcement and start of sales.

If they announce Neo in early september, I expect it to hit the stores few weeks later [at the latest end of October when TGL launches].

N.Domixis

Banned

competition is good.

THE:MILKMAN

If it's coming out this year, it will be out before Black Friday.

I actually kind of expect it to be out the very beginning of October. There is probably a reason why Sony has their October 1st date for gamings needing to have Neo modes.

Before this news of the September reveal my guess was a November launch close to PS4's 15th Nov' date. Problem now is that Andrew House has strongly suggested a short time reveal/launch.

Still confusing....

Boke1879

I say it'll be out before Black Friday. Plenty of time for people to save money and they get it out during the busiest shopping season of the year.

I can't see them missing out on Black Friday and all the potential bundle deals and added sales it would add to the Neo model.

2) I think you should also consider that Sony launched their more powerful console for $100 cheaper at the start of this gen. If they wanted to, they could've easily priced it the same as the xbox one and justified the console being that price due to the extra power even though it didn't include the camera, but didn't.

I think Xbox having the kinect bundles was the reason it was 100 more. I remember kinect selling for 150 by itself.

farisr

I agree. My whole point is just that there wouldn't of been a 100 dollar premium without kinect which most likely MS won't be trying again with Scorpio.
I mentioned that in my post if you had actually read it carefully. That Sony could've priced it at $499 "If they wanted to, they could've easily priced it the same as the xbox one and justified the console being that price due to the extra power even though it didn't include the camera," but didn't, because they really don't care if their console is cheaper than the competition's. They'll set the price to whatever they want to set it to.

I mentioned that in my post if you had actually read it carefully. That Sony could've priced it at $499 "If they wanted to, they could've easily priced it the same as the xbox one and justified the console being that price due to the extra power even though it didn't include the camera," but didn't, because they really don't care if their console is cheaper than the competition's. They'll set the price to whatever they want to set it to.

Don't disagree with the statement that I read carefully. Your point is that they could sale the PS4 at 500 cause of the extra power with no camera in which I agree . My point was just that the Kinect was the reason for the premium even when it was less powerful. I read your statement carefully but maybe I cant say it anyway that wouldn't sound offensive for some.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
"technical showcase" huh

i'd be surprised if Uncharted 4 didn't show up. maybe Bloodborne. not sure what they would be able to show in the way of new games though. would be nice to see Spider-Man but that's probably still too far off.

i'd reeeeaaaalllly like to see Witcher 3 get a Neo update but it seems unlikely (even though CDPR is probably crazy enough to do it just for the hell of it)

farisr

Don't disagree with the statement that I read carefully. Your point is that they could sale the PS4 at 500 cause of the extra power with no camera in which I agree . My point was just that the Kinect was the reason for the premium even when it was less powerful. I read your statement carefully but maybe I cant say it anyway that wouldn't sound offensive for some.
I didn't take offense. I just don't get why you're bringing up that point. Everyone already knows that xbox one was priced that way due to the kinect, which is why I made it a point to mention "no camera". Again, no offense taken was just wondering why you were quoting and stating something as though it was not taken into account when I wrote the post.

onQ123

Would 4K graphics be worth having a technical showcase for?

I'm willing to bet that Neo games are going to flat out look better than PS4 games even at 4K

You're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

No, you're the one being in delusional PR for whatever reason. I'm arguing for the sake of arguing because I'm saying IQ wont be as good as native 4k ? But that's a fact, as opposed to you claiming it's the same result, just done in a more efficient way.

Top Bottom