• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameBoy Advanced, what are your favorite games?

HAOHMARU

I saw that one retro GBA commercial and now I want to get one that looks like the old NES and get some of the NES classics.

Anyway, what are your favorite games...and/or the best ones out there? Here are the ones I know of and would like to get also, do you have any more reccommendations?

Castlevania:COTM
Castlevania:AOS
Castlevania:HOD
Advanced Wars
Advanced Wars 2
Metriod Fusion
Metriod Zero Mission

Then the Classics:
Excite Bike
Super Mario Bros.
Zelda
Donkey Kong

Also, anybody have Sega Rally, Collin McRae 2.0 or V-Rally 3? I've played V-Rally 3, but I heard those other two are contenders as well.

What else is worth checking out? RPGs, racing, sports, platformers...anything!

Mario and Luigi: Super Star Saga
Wario Ware
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
Fire Emblem
Karnajj Rally

I like Demi-Kids, but apparently not everyone else does.

Drensch

Advanced Wars I and II
Fire Emblem

Other Stuff:

Tactics Ogre, Boktai, Pokemon, Rogue Spear, Zeldas, Mario and Luigi, Golden Sun

HAOHMARU

What about:

Mario Kart Super Circuit
Breath of Fire
Tetris Worlds
Super Mario Advance 1,2,3,4?
Sonic Advance 1,2,3?

BuddyC

I'll come back later and make a nice list. But for right now...

Mega Man Zero
Mega Man Zero 2
Chu Chu Rocket

Mario Kart: Super Circuit is pretty great, I'd say. Lots of tracks, decent amount are unlockable. Good multiplayer (made better with more than one cart, though).

The Super Mario Bros. games are fine. I personally do not buy them because I own the originals.

I've personally never really liked the original Breath of Fire.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the castlevanias and advance warses, of course, but also:
ninja five-o
klonoa: empire of dreams
mario vs. donkey kong
mario golf
super dodge ball

ikalugar

In no particular order:
Mario and Luigi
Metroid Zero Mission
Wario Ware
Zelda Alttp/Four Swords
Fire Emblem

And there are many more so I will stop there.
GBA>all.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
ninja five-o's pretty hard to find - it was poorly distributed and had a small print run. i'd suggest ebay, except that most of the gba games there are boots. i've seen it used at gamestops a few times. i used to see new copies at fry's, but those are probably long gone.

SantaC

My top 5:

1. Castlevania CotM
2. Golden Sun 2
3. Castlevania AoS
4. Golden Sun
5. Metroid Zero Mission

just outside: Mario Golf

I just got the Classic NES SP last month and only have one game thus far: LOZ:ALTTP.

My wishlist:

Doom
Wolfenstein 3D
Super Street Fighter II: Turbo Revival
Final Fight One
Blackthorne

And some more obvious ones:
Super Mario Advance 2
Super Mario Advance 4
Metroid: Zero Mission

Fularu

Banned
Shame on this forum as there's no shining force here! :(

Shining Force is my favorite game on the system. Sure it doesn't look as good as Fire Emblem (but has bigger sprites to compensate for it), but it has a lot more depth! And I played both games so don't come on me saying I did not understand Fire Emblem.

Fire emblem lets you move all your troops at once, in the order of your chosing, making it a really easy game. While shining force not only has a lot of exploring to do, but it also has fixed turns (you have to move your characters in a specific order) and in between enemy moves! so you have to predict how they'll move so that you can counter them. It's the closest thing to real time SRPG you'll find! And the remake is absolutely brilliant! Not a simple port!

Of course Fire Emblem is a very solid and good game, and I can't wait for The other 2 gba incarnations to come out.

I don'T like Advance wars 2 as much as FE though (I've been spoiled by Battle Isle I suppose).

The Castelvania games are great, the Golden sun are good.

There are countless other awesome games (the metroid ones or the kirby ones for example, Final Fight or the Megaamn games) so take your pick among all the games we gave you!

Kudie

Speaking of Boktai, I recently nabbed it at CC for $5. Is this game playable at all on the GB Player?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
trippingmartian said:
I just got the Classic NES SP last month and only have one game thus far: LOZ:ALTTP.

My wishlist:

Doom
Wolfenstein 3D
Super Street Fighter II: Turbo Revival
Final Fight One
Blackthorne

And some more obvious ones:
Super Mario Advance 2
Super Mario Advance 4
Metroid: Zero Mission

Avoid Super Street Fighter II: Turbo Revival. Unless you can find the import, the U.S. release has bugs, including one that makes the game crash/freeze every time you get to Akuma. :\ Street Fighter Alpha 3 is a hell of a lot better.

I've got 60+ GBA games now. It's hard to make a list, but my favorites are Castlevania Aria Of Sorrow, Harmony of Dissonance, and Circle Of The Moon, Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Wario Ware, Double Dragon Advance, all the Super Mario Advance games, and Metroid Zero Mission, among many others. GBA kicks ass.

BuddyC

Fifty said:
My Sam's Club usually has it. I'll pick you up a copy if you want.

I'd appreciate that. Check your PM.

Kudie said:
Speaking of Boktai, I recently nabbed it at CC for $5. Is this game playable at all on the GB Player?

There are portions that require sunlight.

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
Mega Man & Bass
Mega Man Zero 2
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Sword of Mana
Sonic Advance 3
Sonic Battle
Double Dragon Advance
River City Ransom EX
Gradius Galaxies

Let's see here...
Mario and Luigi
Fire Emblem
Boktai
FFTA
Golden Sun and TLA
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Circle of the Moon
Aria of Sorrow
AW and AW2
Metroid Zero Mission

Andy787

Banned
235923.jpg

Respect, homosexuals!

I have 32 GBA games. These are the ones I've had the most fun with.

Metroid Zero Mission
Fire Emblem
Wario Ware
Castlevania AOS
Super Mario Bros 3
Super Mario World
Wario Land 4
Zelda 3/ 4 swords
Advance Wars
Double Dragon Advance
Super Street Fighter 2
Super Puzzle Fighter 2
NES Zelda

Socreges

Banned
How come there are generally more GBA threads of this nature?

Anyway, I'll just use this thread to mention that I recently bought Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and it ROCKS. It was merely good for the first couple hours, but it's really come into its own just in the past little bit.

However, it makes me want Paper Mario 2 that much more.

Mario Golf Advance Tour
Advance War 1/2
Warior Ware Inc.
Wario Land4
Zelda: LttP
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Mario Kart: Super Circuit
Super Puzzle Fighter II
Super Mario Bros. 3: Super Mario Advance4
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance3
Metroid Fusion
Chu Chu Rocket

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
.. . you don't understand? I have a mild case of cerebral palsey (I think that's how you spell it.)

GaimeGuy said:
.. . you don't understand? I have a mild case of cerebral palsey (I think that's how you spell it.)

Didn't really know how to respond. Sorry. Now I feel like an ass. Well, more of an ass than I already am.

Lyte Edge said:
Avoid Super Street Fighter II: Turbo Revival. Unless you can find the import, the U.S. release has bugs, including one that makes the game crash/freeze every time you get to Akuma. :\ Street Fighter Alpha 3 is a hell of a lot better.
Thanks for the tip! I guess I'll be picking up either the PAL or JPN release.

Gazunta

I think TY The Tasmanian Tiger 2: Bush Rescue is going to be a worthy GBA game.

(Sorry, just had my Neo GAF account activated, and wanted to post something.)

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I have the US version of SSFIITR and it doesn't lock up when I reach Akuma. I think that was limited to the early runs of the game. In any event, I would still just skip SSFIITR and go for SFA3.

My favs:

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Gekido Advance
Final Fight One (FF2 & 3 ports would be nice I suppose)
Zelda (NES Classic)
Sword of Mana (now port SOM, SD3, etc dammit!)
Megaman & Bass (Megaman 1-7 ports please, kthx bye)
PacMan Collection
Mario Vs Donkey Kong
The Castlevanias
Metroid Zero Mission

Alucard

Banned
Haohmaru, your first list is pretty good. I totally recommend Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow and would even say to give Circle of the Moon a try. However, if you know anyone that owns Harmony of Dissonance, you might want to try before you buy. There really isn't much to it and Aria of Sorrow is easily the best of the 3 CV titles for the GBA.

Both Metroids are also fantastic! You really can't go wrong with either one.

Top Bottom