• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameFreak has lost their minds with the terrible new Pokemon designs for Pokemon: Legends Arceus.

It's not the pokemon designs I'm disapointed about it's the lack of ambition for actually taking the franchise to the next level without the game looking like total ass. Like we saw with Zelda BOTW nice changes to gameplay and the game looks plays and feels amazing.

Pokemon just doesn't seem to be doing this.

More or less?
Around 700 mark.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yeah man, bring back the OGs, they were nothing but pure fire.

exeggcute.jpg
voltorb.jpg

Robb

Gold Member
Doesn’t look worse than usual to me. The last two in that video were a bit much maybe.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Pokemon peaked in the DS era anyway. Anyone who says Gold/Silver hasn't played beyond that so please don't come in here with the nostalgia goggles on.

Impotaku

It jumped the shark decades ago, one pokemon is a fucking literal bag of trash. The are gonna end up doing a rare banjo style where they just slap eyes on everything & make it a new pokemon.

-Silver-

It's not the pokemon designs I'm disapointed about it's the lack of ambition for actually taking the franchise to the next level without the game looking like total ass. Like we saw with Zelda BOTW nice changes to gameplay and the game looks plays and feels amazing.

Pokemon just doesn't seem to be doing this.

Around 700 mark.
There's about 900 pokemons. A lot more when you include variations.

theclaw135

Banned
Hasn't pokemon been iterative since Gold/Silver? It's basically Nintendo's FIFA.

My two cents Gold/Silver had the best battle system in the series.

But it also introduced the practice of keeping every Pokemon in every game.
A novel concept at the time, that would end with an internet uproar over removing Pokemon.

theclaw135

Banned
There's always been strangeness.
Meowth has no knees or nose.
How do Weepinbell and Victreebel move!?

The next few waves were overall more consistent in quality. Except for Scizor and Octillery rather startling deviate from their base forms. Regigigas was a weaker design of its era.

Until we get to the craziness of newer stuff. Roggenrola is bland. Sigilyph and Cofagrigus are unsettling, on purpose, mind you.
A short list I'm less than keen on includes Chandelure, Klefki, the ice cream cones, sand castles, Kartana, Hoopa-Unbound, Charjabug, Araquanid, Comfey, Mr. Rime, Falinks, Stonjourner...

Last edited:

Novacain

I love these meltdowns over pokemon designs.

You... Know you only like the originals because that's what you had as a kid and want to grasp after the memba' berries?

Pokemon designs have always been dumb as hell and that's the appeal

Fbh

Hey, at least they are consistent. Would be weird for the game to have horrible art direction but the Pokemon to look nice.

Also to be fair not all of them are terrible. That arcanine looks ok.

Game freak is one of the worst AAA developers in the industry. They will continue to make bad designs/games.
Gamefreak games sell AAA numbers but they are a AA developer at best

Skifi28

I love these meltdowns over pokemon designs.

You... Know you only like the originals because that's what you had as a kid and want to grasp after the memba' berries?

Pokemon designs have always been dumb as hell and that's the appeal
I think you're wrong. In this case they are ruining even the originals. Look at the new stoned Typhlosion model and tell me it looks better than it used to.

eNT1TY

Gamefreak games sell AAA numbers but they are a AA developer at best
And just a handful are AA with a sizable remnant hovering in the single A's. These doods have the best job in the industry, minimal effort for the highest yields. You KNOW they don't do crunch :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Stop adding more pokemon! It will become impossible to keep them all incorporated. Work on creating a newer fresher game experience ffs. God I hate Gamefreak.

Last edited:

Banned
They did in 2010.

MwlJ2YF.jpg

It wasn't well received despite it being the gen one experience that wasn't gen one. Thanks guys.

They have twice. The first remake made the original games good, the second time it's just Pokemon GO shit for casuals.

that was not a reboot, you could still trade old Pokémon and they were all still canon. I mean AN ACTUAL reboot... completely throw out most of the existing pokemon and start fresh. maybe take the first 251 + some of the fan fovorites and go from there

Fbh

Probably the best indie company of the market.

In terms of financial success? Absolutely
Quality? hell no.

I'd rather play Eyuden chronicles or Seas of Stars than anything Gamefreak has released in the last 20 years (and probably also what they will release in the next 20 years)

Last edited:
Top Bottom