• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#GameFreakLied Sword and Shield Models are 3DS Ports

Fake

??? this mostly on GameFreak not Nintendo, and most first party Nintendo games came out this year turned out pretty damn good.

Atlus also doesn't make graphic intense games but you don't see people complain about its graphics because their great art direction and Gust did same thing with Atelier Ryza and the visuals pops out much more even tho its also no technical marvel when it comes to its actual graphics.

If GameFreak can't effort to have high end graphics then they need to improve their art direction.
Not only art direction, but animation play a huge role in Atlus games.

I never asked for photorealist graphics from those companys. Even if you back in time and play games like for example Kingdom Hearts 2. This game is very old, but looks amazing at native 4k because is a group of factors like animation quality, high texture, art direction, script, high quality cutscenes and frame per second.

Gamefreak will use every excuse they could for making shit. Is never about graphics, but its about quality overall.
Even if you or someone who never played, you already saw that goat pokemon? His animation for doing a 'Headbut' its actually a stomp animation.
Is so hard to ask just the basic?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Does Nintendo not publish it? Then I'm sure there were deadlines that they had to meet. That means cutting corners, which is exactly what this looks like.

I personally don't get that impression from Sword and Shield. I think the games sure look a hell of a lot better than the latest Fire Emblem, for example. I'm having fun playing through that game, too, but it is ugly as sin for the most part.

Does Nintendo not publish it? Then I'm sure there were deadlines that they had to meet. That means cutting corners, which is exactly what this looks like.

Nintendo delayed all games that needed more time ever since the Switch launch. Why would they not grant Pokemon more time?

This is on gamefreak's/tpc's greed, they want their yearly Pokemon-game.

Fake

Even if you back in time and play games like for example Kingdom Hearts 2. This game is very old, but looks amazing at native 4k because is a group of factors like animation quality, high texture, art direction, script, high quality cutscenes and frame per second.

Ten_Fold

I just brought Pokemon shield last week, only got like 6 badges, will get the sometime next week. Anyways I like the game somewhat but the parts that bother me is the graphics are kinda poor and I just dont understand why. The open world part is not too impressive I went in thinking the routes would be open world but nope pretty linear which is wack. This game could've been amazing.

Saber

Gold Member
The open world part is not too impressive I went in thinking the routes would be open world but nope pretty linear which is wack. This game could've been amazing.

Just the mere point of calling that bland part an "open world" is an offense to all the biggies like Witcher 3 and Dragon Quest XI. If people ever played those games, may they like them or not, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't call what the game presents you an open world. No, I would call an upgrade take on Majoras Mask 64 Termina Field.

Last edited:
Not only art direction, but animation play a huge role in Atlus games.

I never asked for photorealist graphics from those companys. Even if you back in time and play games like for example Kingdom Hearts 2. This game is very old, but looks amazing at native 4k because is a group of factors like animation quality, high texture, art direction, script, high quality cutscenes and frame per second.

Gamefreak will use every excuse they could for making shit. Is never about graphics, but its about quality overall.
Even if you or someone who never played, you already saw that goat pokemon? His animation for doing a 'Headbut' its actually a stomp animation.
Is so hard to ask just the basic?
What's even worse is that some Pokemon already have an animation that would perfectly match certain moves. Scorbunny, for instance, has a kicking animation and yet, its Double Kick animation is two hops in idle pose. That just makes no sense.

Nintendo is a shareholder of the Pokemon franchise. The actual owner of the IP is The Pokemon Company. So while Nintendo has a large say on the IP's direction, they are not the sole decision-maker.

My guess is that The Pokemon Company wanted the game release to coincide with the airing of the new season of the anime, so your guess that Gamefreak had a deadline is likely correct. But even then, a strict deadline is no excuse when modders have already managed to add fixes to the games. Funnily enough, the anime is heading in a different trajectory because holy shit, the animation quality in the anime has been really good.

MagnesG

Banned
What's even worse is that some Pokemon already have an animation that would perfectly match certain moves. Scorbunny, for instance, has a kicking animation and yet, its Double Kick animation is two hops in idle pose. That just makes no sense
I thought any move animations should be always the same for all Pokemon? It is always two hops in idle stance regardless of the Pokemon.

Double Kick is a common move which makes it harder to animate imo.

I thought any move animations should be always the same for all Pokemon? It is always two hops in idle stance regardless of the Pokemon.

Double Kick is a common move which makes it harder to animate imo.
Pretty sure there's an easy way to get around that with Yes/No and If/Then statements:
  1. Select Double Kick
  2. Game asks if Pokemon has a kicking animation.
    1. If yes, then use kicking animation in tandem with Double Kick attack effects.
    2. If no, then use two hopes in idle stance in tandem with Double Kick attack effects.

Dontero

Banned
Pretty sure there's an easy way to get around that with Yes/No and If/Then statements:
  1. Select Double Kick
  2. Game asks if Pokemon has a kicking animation.
    1. If yes, then use kicking animation in tandem with Double Kick attack effects.
    2. If no, then use two hopes in idle stance in tandem with Double Kick attack effects.

He means creating animation for every single pokemon and each animation would have to be different because each pokemon looks different and has legs, don't have legs one or more.

Roufianos

It's basically just a HD version of Sun and Moon. The hardware is a 2 generation leap yet everything is exactly the same.

I have to keep reminding myself that this ugly ass game is running on something more powerful than a PS3.

CrisPy2019

The Switch has mostly been all about making the most money for as absolutely little effort as possible so I dont know why anybody expected Gamefreak of all studios to buck that trend.
Seems like your posts are mostly about getting as much attention for as little substance as possible. Or can you elaborate on all that generalizing crap....?

Top Bottom