• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gameindustry.biz article on Wii U: Death by SunhiLegend (post 346)

AmanoBuff

(Sadly) I agree with most of the article. Nintendo took many wrong steps with the Wii U. The rest of this year is going to be crucial for them.

Create bad article about nintendo. Wait for clicks. Profit.

And you'll all have a read and make them money.

People wonder why games journalism is in a bad way....

This is not limited to games journalism. Lately all a site needs for getting clicks is to write a negative article about any major tech company. Apple, Sony, Facebook, Google, Microsoft. Even respected sites paint the most positive situations in a bad light to generate arguments and get more clicks.

StevieP

Banned
E3 2013 is going to be the last time I give Nintendo a chance. If they still continue to be arrogant, I can't show sympathy for their doom calling and Iwata's job.

It's amazing how over the years, Nintendo just stopped caring and is now doing their best to be hated by everyone. I really despise such behaviour.

If only their console was as powerful as the ps4, while not being sold at a major loss in 2012. Surely their sales and third party support would have been much better.

No doubt Nintendo botched their launch. It's not even really up for debate anymore. But saying that the PS Meeting is indicative of launch sales is far fetched. We know almost nothing about it, aside from a few launch window games and what the controller looks like. Once the mystique wears off and we know the price, launch games, and the price of services, we'll see what real world demand looks like.

Not indicative of sales, but of consumer interest - yes.
Of course it depends on pricing and marketing and launch lineup, but it's Sony and Microsoft's turn to flex their muscles, Nintendo has completely botched their year head start.
So not only do Nintendo have to convince both previous Wii owners that the Wii U can deliver more of what attracted people to it, but they also have to convince current Wii U owners (including myself) that the system isn't a completely wasted investment - and all of this with Sony and Microsoft breathing down their neck.

KuGsj.gif

My favorite article ever.

:lol that was my favourite bit as well.

JordanN

Banned
If only their console was as powerful as the ps4, while not being sold at a major loss in 2012. Surely their sales and third party support would have been much better.
Wii U is trailing behind the Gamecube and just lost EA (one of the biggest publishers on earth) so I'm not sure how it's helping them.

It's pretty obvious what needs to be done. Nintendo needs to abandon their "me first" thinking in favor of creating a console that can actually be supported by third parties.

Even if that means getting outside help, anything is better than the Wii U mess right now and I'll be surprised if people like you continue to defend it.

Nintendo are supposed to be competing with Sony and Microsoft? I hadn't noticed their efforts.

I've been too busy playing my Wii U.

Oh the joys of been oblivious to what is going on around you. I'm happy that you are enjoying yourself, but you should be aware of what is happening that could affect the upcoming slate of games and services of your console.

Goldmund

No threadwhining at all, but do we need really two threads about the exact same article at page 1?
I think most of us here are oblivious to the other thread's existence. I agree they should be merged, even though this thread has a broader approach and isn't so specific.

Kimawolf

Well one thread has the non- click bait title, the other one has a sensible title (comparatively lol). So it's no wonder which one is on the top page, no point in merging them when most discussion seems to be entering this one.

Trickster

Except that the playoffs haven't even begun yet. ;) But seriously, it's just nonsense to say "Nintendo can't compete with Sony and MS" when history has proved otherwise. That's all I'm saying.

You think the Wii U will magically start to sell magnitudes better than it's doing now, once the PS4 and 720 is out on store shelves?

Pretending that Nintendo will be able to compete with sony and microsoft, because they used to be able to do so. Is pretty much the same as burying your head in the ground and refusing to look at the state of the Wii U.

I know. I'm talking about not having a conference. Just setting some demo stations won't generate much buzz.

What exactly generated buzz the last 5 e3's? Was it the announcement of games? That will still happen? Was it the announcement of exclusives? That'll still happen. Was it the announcement of new services? That will still happen. The only thing different is a live conference. Changing the format of their conference doesn't mean there won't be a conference or that Nintendo has nothing to show.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Decent article but the part about Sonic is ludicrous. Colors and Generations were absolutely fantastic.

StuBurns

Banned
Nintendo can compete, they just won't be this time, because the stars didn't align like they did with the Wii.

I didn't play Sonic Colors, but Generations was really awful. I'd like to see them take another stab at 3D, which hopefully is what the U game is.

Nintendo is an extremely arrogant company. I absolutely detest their model of, "Weak hardware, but profitable hardware," on top of their over reliance on first party software. Third party companies are positively frigid toward the Wii U and I don't expect that to change. I personally feel that their first party titles are getting long in the tooth. I can't play Mario Kart but so many times without feeling deja vu.

NeoGIF

What's the Wii U's novelty? That it does everything a current-gen console does but a little bit slower and with a Fisher Price tablet attached?

Damn!

They said Fisher Price, freakin' Fisher Price!

MisterHero

Wii U is trailing behind the Gamecube and just lost EA (one of the biggest publishers on earth) so I'm not sure how it's helping them.

It's pretty obvious what needs to be done. Nintendo needs to abandon their "me first" thinking in favor of creating a console that can actually be supported by third parties.

Even if that means getting outside help, anything is better than the Wii U mess right now and I'll be surprised if people like you continue to defend it.
Between PC, Microsoft, and Sony, there are 3 alternatives to Nintendo's approach to the industry. Nintendo gains nothing from being the 4th of that group.

Yet they get pounded on for not being similar to them. 3rd-parties are living and dying from fighting over the same audience.

A popular suggestion is that Nintendo should go after the iTunes audience. It has a massive userbase. Why aren't Sony and MS doing that too? Oh wait, no one cares about bringing MS and Sony games anywhere. I can only conclude that the suggestion is greedy.

PaulLFC

First, them saying Nintendo pulled out of E3 is because they know they couldn't compete with Sony and Microsoft is just wow worthy.

Second I can't trust everything Game Industry says, they also said the Wii U was weaker than PS3/360 from "anonymous sources".
How exactly is it? Seems perfectly logical to me considering what those two are going to be revealing at E3.

JordanN

Banned
Between PC, Microsoft, and Sony, there are 3 alternatives to Nintendo's approach to the industry. Nintendo gains nothing from being the 4th of that group.
Are you sure? Because I don't see how going with no third party at all is better in the slightest.

But we'll see. I said it before, if PS4/720 knock Nintendo out of the gate, there's going to be a shake up in Kyoto.

Agree with absolutely everything in the article. I just watched this mornings Nintendo Direct and I was shocked at how dire it is, the first footage you see is 12fps footage of Mario in a fucking Olympics game.

Then a friend from Japan told me their big get was a mediocre HD collection of the Yakuza games. Just pathetic, holy christ.

Schnozberry

Are you sure? Because I don't see how going with no third party at all is better in the slightest.

But we'll see. I said it before, if PS4/720 knock Nintendo out of the gate, there's going to be a shake up in Kyoto.

The only way a real shake up happens in Kyoto is if Yamauchi dies. People targeting Iwata don't seem to understand that he is still the largest single shareholder and has the board of directors by the balls.

MisterHero

Nintendo without 3rd-parties isn't a total loss, but they have to be accountable for their losses too and not blame Nintendo. Square-Enix didn't need Nintendo's help to deplore their own million-selling games as unsatisfactory.

PaulLFC

Because they didn't pull out of e3. They'll still be there, and they'll still have a pre e3 conference. The only difference is it won't be live.
But that wasn't the point of the post I was quoting - which was that "not being able to compete with Sony/MS" wasn't the reason for the change. I enquired as to why.

Nibel

The media isn't "picking on Nintendo" because of some inscrutable bias, but it does feel at times like they're almost scolding the company whenever it actually does try to promote the Wii U and give it games as if it's some kind of pointless endeavor.

You articulated better what I was thinking than I could, thank you

It's hard to see the hate when you, cyberheater, smokey, cloving, and breara collaborated on it together. A lot of it is facts some is hyperbole mixed with ridiculous speculation, and most of it sounds like Reggie personally shit in his cereal.

Ctrl+F 'Vita' - 0 results found.

My hands are clean.

This made me laugh so hard :lol Every time I look at my Vita I see Dave's avatar

Because they didn't pull out of e3. They'll still be there, and they'll still have a pre e3 conference. The only difference is it won't be live.

It's also not going to have a live audience's lack of reaction broadcast to the internet and tv. Instead it'll be a controlled enviroment where Nintendo are on top of everything. That's because they fear not being able to get that kind of positive audience reaction that is so important at E3.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Tellingly, Activision hasn't mentioned "Call of Duty: Ghosts" in the same sentence as "Wii U", and as that game is going to be a centrepiece of the next Xbox reveal it's not likely to associate it with a device that isn't generating any excitement.

hey now.

Wow, is it really selling less than 1000 in the UK?
That's worse than the Vita, isn't it?

Finally, the Nintendoomers might have their "I told you so"-moment.

Takuan

I grew up with Nintendo, but I don't think I could give less of a fuck if they closed down shop. Their games just aren't that interesting anymore.

It's also not going to have a live audience's lack of reaction broadcast to the internet and tv. Instead it'll be a controlled enviroment where Nintendo are on top of everything. That's because they fear not being able to get that kind of positive audience reaction that is so important at E3.

Like the incredible demos for wonderbook, skyward sword, and whatever the hell this was

BAM.gif

Like the incredible demos for wonderbook, skyward sword, and whatever the hell this was

BAM.gif

The main problem with every single one of those, every time, is you can feel everyone on stage being terrified it isn't going to work. It sure doesn't help sell it as exciting when you can see everyone on the verge of panic.

Man

There's also today's announcement that Sega is handing publishing duties of Sonic the Hedgehog over to Nintendo, like Sonic the Hedgehog still means something to the games player. It doesn't, it's a tired old mascot who jumped the shark when Sega painted him black and gave him a gun.
This was the best part.

v1oz

It will be impossible for Nintendo to own their own platforms in 10 years, so either they go third party of they vanish. I know which one is more likely.

Nah. Nintendo has plenty of cash. They made a profit recently. And they haven't lost nearly as much money as Sony and Microsoft did before. I actually see the Wii U being profitable for them even if it doesn't sell that much.

Top Bottom