• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameInformer: FIFA 17 Begins EA Sports’ Full Transition To Frostbite Engine

chadskin

Multiple sources tell us that the FIFA, Madden, NHL, and NBA Live sports game will be transitioned to DICE’s Frostbite engine over the course of the next few years. Frostbite is currently being used to power the vast majority of EA’s larger game catalog, including the Battlefield, Star Wars: Battlefront, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Need For Speed, and Mirror’s Edge franchises. The next major sports game to make the leap to the new technology is FIFA 17. While Madden NFL 17. NHL 17, and NBA Live 17 are still using the Ignite engine, each is expected to convert in the near future.

FIFA 17 isn't the first EA Sports game to use Frostbite tech; 2015’s Rory McIlroy PGA Tour was built on the platform as well by EA Tiburon. During its press blitz for PGA Tour, EA touted the engine’s prowess in creating outdoor environments and cutting load times between holes. The transition should also be aided by the fact that DICE already integrated the ANT animation system component of the Ignite engine into Frostbite during the development of Battlefield 3.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...orts-full-transition-to-frostbite-engine.aspx

StrikerD

Cool that there will be a new engine, not cool that more than likely no meaningful gameplay changes will be made

OneUh8

This is good news. Frostbyte seems to be a fantastic engine. Hopefully that translates well to the sports games.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Cool that there will be a new engine, not cool that more than likely no meaningful gameplay changes will be made

This is my concern as well. I love FIFA, but I'll just skip the next one if they continue to boast about grass blade lucidity when actual modes are still severely lacking.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Patrick Soderlund was implying this a few years back when he took over EA Sports in addition to EA Studios, but I wasn't sure if they'd ever actually do it.

ps3ud0

I believe it when I see it - I remember when they were trying to pass off Ignition as a new engine when all it was was a strategy.

If its true least we will after 6 years get rid of some of the bugs they couldnt be bothered to fix.

ps3ud0 8)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Expected to convert in the near future...

So, Madden 18? Or even further out than that?

They presumably want to convert without losing a ton of functionality, which takes a lot of resources.

EA Sports games actually use their old engines. "Ignite" is just a set of new shared tools and functionality that are shared between teams otherwise using engines from last generation because they didn't want to repeat the feature barren launches from the last transition.

oh my god nhl on frostbite

oh my GOD NHL ON FROSTBITE

So it means shit. Also it means shit about the bugs and gamplay issues we had the past games.

You average three goals and five points per game in career mode, win every major trophy there is, then AI coach decides you get benched through playoffs and your team loses in the first round.

FUCKING YEAH FROSTBITE FINALLY.

EDIT: Just so you know, i am a goalie in real life and am a goalie in pro mode. You know what is funny? When you create your character and it will be shown as a player, not as a goalie. You change the colors of your blocker and the catching glove and the FUCKING game shows a forward player. Thanks EA, thanks frostbite.

Hasney

The likelihood is that the engine will change the way the game plays. The "Ignite" engine was a little bit of anime, it was just their old sports engines with some new shaders bolted on for the new generation of consoles. This would be the first major engine change since about FIFA 08 or 09 I believe.

Kolx

I want to be excited, but I now this will probably lead to nothing more than a few graphical upgrades.

thefro

Also good news since EA can support other platforms more easily with everything running on the same engine (as they've mentioned in their investor relations meetings lately).

Madden needs the Natural Motion engine that GTA uses. (Backbreaker used a form of it too)

But ANY kind of REAL Physics engine would be good for Madden.

Twentieth

I intended to buy FIFA this year. I'll wait to see which bugs they've introduced and what features have been cut though.

Can't wait for the glitch videos and gifs webms.

JBuccCP

Cool. Now all the awkward animations and linemen running past blockers will have really really nice lighting on them.

Then again with how Mirror's Edge looks Frostbite clearly isn't some magic bullet, so maybe not.

Hopefully they'll get rid of all the scripting nonsense that plagues the series and is now so deep hidden in the base code that it's almost become sentient. xD

Alexious

Does that mean graphics will improve? I mean, even at 4K resolution FIFA16 is still underwhelming in that regard.

E-Cat

We might finally reach the Madden reveal trailer from E3 2005 (?)
Never forget.

kNtc7J6.jpg

Tainted

From the leaked YT vids, is everybody happy about how it looks ?

Looks very similar to '16...but they have changed the way corners, throw-ins, free kicks and penalties work, so there will be some adjustment which is good imo

For instance, the moving meter has been removed so the run up and execution are done in real time. Those who have been playing FIFA long enough will recall that's how penalties used to be...which is great imo. That meter made taking penalties almost impossible if you were playing an online game with latency.

For throw-ins, you can move the player up and down the line slightly before taking the throw

Free kicks have a slightly different camera angle and mechanically work similar to the new penatlies as far as I can see

For corners, you can now move a little target on the field to where you want the ball to land and the camera is more overhead.

It is implied that all these options can be toggled to preference as well, so you can make it exactly like the old FIFAs

I think it all looks rather promising.

Top Bottom