• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamekult.com : The Japanese Point of View on PS4

fabprems

That's the best article you've read all weekend?
The Google Translate doesn't help.
Yeah, I'm sorry about that !

just a reminder: gamekult is a very negative website famous for their very low scored reviews. Im french and i never go on their websit. Im not saying its not true, but again ... their 'news' is just another negative news that isn't based on much when you see how fast the ps4 was preordered in Japan
This is quie true, but I would rather say that they are more "depressive realist" than truely "negative" ;)
And the author doesn't work directly for GK, its Christophe Kagotani http://about.me/Kagotani

yeah but how many units did they sell ?
Seems that, like in Europe, the number of units allocated for the preorders were quite low, explaining why the pre-order sold out so fast :

SCE had assured the Japanese that there would be more than enough stock to meet the necessarily high local demand. October 5 was the date for the beginning of the campaign preorders. A handful of people have even formed a queue outside the gates of Yodobashi in Akihabara. In fact, he became (too) quickly difficult to find and therefore to book one as soon as the pre orders opened
(...)
"If you have so little desire to sell here, you will then relocate outside of Japan!"
This pithy comment came from a player who can not understand why the reservations could be as disastrous in Japan, when they were launched in the U.S. without any trouble three months ago. He said he was fortunate enough to have reserved one , unlike any of all his friends.

Madouu

I think it says a lot about the gaming press when gamekult scores are considered "low" and "negative".

I can try to translate the whole article if people are interested.

Hyunashi

Sony making their home country 'tier-2'. That country is dead to consoles.

Yea cos Japan are totally interested in Assassins Creed or Killzone or something EA related. Its been pushed back to give Japanese developers more time to release games catering to the Japanese audience.

But hey, lets go with a term Microsoft tailored.

Thank you very interesting read.
As you said it's not really gamekult-ish stuff but rather an insider's point of view.

I think he's right on the money tbh. Sony knows that his growth and sustainability as a corporation is on the line and can't afford another PS3 scenario. Pushing markets is certainly their number one concern at the moment. And the astounding silence on the japanese market certainly reflects that : without a foolproof strategy they won't bother waste units on a market that will be basically be theirs either way, for how little units it will push.
Can't blame Sony for trying to save the brand with an agressive strategy. But it certainly must have ruffled a few feathers in the japanese gaming community, despite the fact that sales are piss poor on both software and hardware. You never want to hear that after being in the technological lead for 20 years you are now another follower.

A plea we won't hear in Europe anyway considering we are behind everyone !

Jubern

just a reminder: gamekult is a very negative website famous for their very low scored reviews. Im french and i never go on their websit. Im not saying its not true, but again ... their 'news' is just another negative news that isn't based on much when you see how fast the ps4 was preordered in Japan

Yeah no. Because Gamekult not giving 8s or 9s like candy doesn't mean they are "negative", come the fuck on. It's more like the opposite, they're definitely one of the most level-headed French video games news website. 7s or even 6s are not supposed to be "very low scores", except for PR people.

And this is more of well-documented personal essay than a news. It's not negative for the sake of being negative, it depicts a certain reality here. I see people talking about "how fast the PS4 preorders were sold out in Japan", but to me it seems like you can still do it pretty much everywhere, outside of some Akiba stores or Amazon and the Sony Store, which people seem to think are good standards to gauge general awareness and hype.
Ever since I found I could still preorder EVERYWHERE in Shinjuku, almost a week after that so-called preorder sellout, I've been on the lookout checking here here and there and didn't found any big store that wouldn't take reservation. Anecdotical evidence and everything, I know, but I personnaly find this a bit more telling than a couple of websites selling out an unknown quantity of preorders.

I guess that what I wanted to say is that it's a good read IMO, and I agree with a lot of the points he makes.

Elios83

The article seems to be just an editorial about their point of view on the japanese market situation and demand for home consoles.
But it's reasonable. Interest for home consoles has shrinked in Japan and if PS4 won't get a good flow of titles for japanese tastes it's difficult to expect a long term major success (10m LTD at least).
It all depends on the contents, japanese gamers have to be attracted by great games. The fact that most japanese developers right now seem to think that PS3 is good enough for them except for mega productions like FFXV and KH3 which won't be released until forever, honestly won't help. Also japanese developers/publishers really need to find their creativity back and some balls to dare to create new IPs like in the PSone/PS2 days.
In this sense the PS4 success is bound the to state of the japanese game development industry.

Frankly speaking, a 2013 launch for Japan makes zero sense.

Not only will Japan be drunk off the biggest launch of the year (MH/Pokemon), thus reducing the luster of a PS4 launch ( with nogaems ), it would also hurt Sony's own Vita push for November/December.

Sony needs to ensure that all eyes in Japan are pointed towards God Eater 2 and FF X/X-2 HD Remaster, arguably the last two heavy-hitters for Vita in 2013.

lefantome

Fortunately Japan isn't a main market anymore if this is how they reacts.

I'm just worried for the japanese devs which already had serious problems with current gen and I see the possibility of them failing hard in the future (square?)

Fabrik

Banned
All next-gen consoles are in trouble in Japan. There is simply too few interesting next-gen games announced for that market. Even when FFXV release, it won't have a lasting impact.
As I said in another thread, from the games announced so far, it predict:

PS2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PS 3 >>>> PS 4

I'm really curious to see how the PS4 does in Japan.
Sony is doing the right thing though, launching in Japan with that line-up would be pointless.

Celine

What I mean they sold less than all other FF, didn't they?
finalfantasygraphique1.png

So some of them are going to "Rage aginst the Machine"? lol

Sorry. I had to do that.

It sounds more like they are disappointed more so overall with the usual nerd rage minority calling Sony anti-japanese. The problem lies within the japanese market and until its fixed, Sony is making all the right moves there by accepting the new japanese gaming market reality.

A wholesale distributor of Tokyo has even told me that in the state of things, the PS4 out with such a lineup would not be reasonable.
My thoughs exactly but it's just my opinion and I also think that my Wii U is a good system because I really enjoy the Nintendo games I can play on it.

Maybe some people are like me for Sony games like Killzone or Knack. I personnaly won't buy a PS4 for these. Infamous maybe but it won't be enough alone... I want more good Sony exclusives.

I don't mean to be that girl but it's articles like this that makes Phil Fish statement, despite being kind of rude, very true. The Japanese are always so late to the game. They rather take the easy way out than to take the risk and it's why so many of their own people are bailing on them. They will never have blockbuster or even top games that come out in the West because they pretend they don't have the money to fund it. I really don't understand why they have to be like that. Everything with them is about money instead of the risk.

sörine

Banned
I don't see that. Sega has Yakuza nearly done, out in February. SQEX is ready to go, and is putting out Thief in February, and XIV: ARR beta in February for PS4. Capcom has the best looking next gen game so far, in Deep Down. They're also putting out Dead Rising 3. Konami is putting MGSV on next gen systems. Knack is Sony Japan. More I'm not listing.

All you see in the west is cross-gen titles, and a handful of first party games like Killzone, and Forza.
All the 3rd party games you just listed except Capcom's are also cross-gen titles. And Capcom's games are made by their secondary studios in Vancouver and Tokyo, their main R&D in Osaka is still seemingly focused on handhelds and current gen consoles.

fabprems

I don't mean to be that girl but it's articles like this that makes Phil Fish statement, despite being kind of rude, very true. The Japanese are always so late to the game. They rather take the easy way out than to take the risk and it's why so many of their own people are bailing on them. They will never have blockbuster or even top games that come out in the West because they pretend they don't have the money to fund it. I really don't understand why they have to be like that. Everything with them is about money instead of the risk.

I don't agree with that, on the contrary, both Nintendo and Sony are great examples of companies that made bold moves in the past.

I think that when you're in the US, you have to understand that even if Japan has a remarquable history in the videogame business, it's a smaller market than US, so it can be way more difficult to be profitable when you create a AAA game. So you create a AA game or maybe a A game, but right now, the gap between indies and AAA games is a no man's land. Nobody wants to buy an "okay" game these days.

You gonna say that they should make games that both appeal japanese and western gamers (and I think some of them are trying, like Capcom, Konami, ...) but it must be incredibly difficult to create games for another country and another culture.
Is there a western studio that create best seller in Japan in the 90s or 00s ??

SLY_

Banned
Yea cos Japan are totally interested in Assassins Creed or Killzone or something EA related. Its been pushed back to give Japanese developers more time to release games catering to the Japanese audience.

But hey, lets go with a term Microsoft tailored.

'Tiered' is a business term, not a Microsoft term. Using it to reference markets isn't a slight to anyone as businesses all over the globe use it time and again.

"That's right, the people don't come because you grandiose motherfuckers don't play shit that they like. If you played the shit that they like, then people would come, simple as that."

Takao

Banned
Don't really see KH3 (which, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't popular in Japan)

I'm correcting you.

The Japanese PS4 line-up is actually pretty decent. Basically everything from our line-up (which is eh), plus a ton of Japanese specific games like Yakuza, Natural Doctrine, I think the Gundam game is a launch title, inFamous: Second Son and one or two other games.

I'd be worried if I were a Japanese gamer because I'd have to buy the console then choose from all those freaking games.

The issue is that almost all of the PS4's Japanese software lineup is content shared with PS3, or Vita, and as the OP states:

But many believe that the current PS3 is sufficient, when well used, it is still able to surprise.

I think it's a pretty bad sign when Japan's largest third party publisher has yet to truly announce a PS4 game.

Man those handhelds and their popularity. Drives me nuts. Anyway, this isn't surprising or even news. I am also sure that this is a small minority of people. Whenever I read something like this on the lines of 'japanese gamers think this random something something' it's usually a couple post on 2chan. so.....

Coxy

Some good points, Japane will definitely be sticking with PS3 by and large for a little bit, there's a loaaaad of games coming early 2014 for ps3 in japan

the sony hannichi point is just embarassing though, it's a thing a few fanboys said a few times and it's like writing about people saying sony ponies in your article

sörine

Banned
I'm seeing a lot for japanese support for the PS4 than the PS3 during launch.
PS3 had Genji 2, Domo Demo Issyo, Ridge Racer 7, Gundam Crossfire, Sega Golf Club and Mahjong Fight Club. PS4 has Knack, Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL, Yakuza Ishin, Dream Club, Joysound Drive 2, Mahjong Plus and Nikoli Sudoku. It's closer than I thought.

For comparison 360 had Every Party, Ridge Racer 6 and Tertris Grand Master Ace while Wii U had Nintendo Land, NSMBU, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper, Ninja Gaiden 3RE, Tekken Tag 2 and Joysound Wii Karaoke U.

sörine;86061082 said:
PS3 had Genji 2, Domo Demo Issyo, Ridge Racer 7, Gundam Crossfire, Sega Golf Club and Mahjong Fight Club. PS4 has Knack, Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL, Yakuza Ishin, Dream Club, Joysound Drive 2, Mahjong Plus and Nikoli Sudoku. It's closer than I thought.

For comparison 360 had Every Party, Ridge Racer 6 and Tertris Grand Master Ace while Wii U had Nintendo Land, NSMBU, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper, Ninja Gaiden 3RE, Tekken Tag 2 and Joysound Wii Karaoke U.

you forgot FFXIV

Terrell

Can't also blame them for making the US their top priority. Have to take back what was their's during the PS1 and PS2 generations.

For their hardcore fans, it paints a picture that Sony has abandoned their principles to be as much like MS as possible. And in Japan, that's as damning a comparison as any other.

Never mind what developers focused on the Japanese market must think about it.

On some level I wonder if Japanese gaming interests have turned to handhelds not because they prefer handhelds, but simply because they prefer to play titles from their own country and the quality has just been superior there while the quality of console titles has been...lackluster, at best.

Essentially I'm wondering if it was the chicken or the egg.

I have long held this belief. With some of Japan's top-tier talent being begged to chase the Western dollar at all costs, it becomes a very evident likelihood that this is the case. The days of the PS2 are long behind us, and I think the only way to get back to a healthy console market is to bring developers back to that mindset they had during that era. What that's going to take, I don't know, but it has to happen SOON or things are gonna get ugly.

I think there is a bit of that going on.

Which is why, perhaps crazily, I think Kingdom Hearts 3 will turn things around. For whatever reason and with very minimal information it just feels like the game we never got during the PS3 years. Same as we never got a "real" Final Fantasy title and now have FF15 (of course much more literally).

I mean if that doesn't do it, what will?

So we're betting on a game we should have got this generation and a game that was actually promised for this generation 6 years ago... somehow, I don't think we should bet too high on this being any sort of salvation, at this point.

Top Bottom