• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamekult editor on graphical differences between the Zelda Switch/Wii U version

Fredrik

GAF overreacting? Well I never.

To be honest thought almost everyone was "I have to play this on the Switch or it will be hot garbage" and now people are drifting towards "Wait... I already have a WiiU".

Only 3 more days.
People simply have no self-control, can't handle the waiting when it's already out elsewhere, we've even seen some posters claim that they're tempted to pirate it even though they'll get it on friday.
I'd say, just take it easy and take the opportunity to play something else before BOTW arrives, after Zelda you probably won't touch any other game anyway until you've finished it.
3 days left to finish Zelda 2, that's my mission for this week.

Jacce

Banned
I wish Nintendo apologized and released a patch to optimize performances on Wii U.

This post is so embarrassing just to read. Nintendo should apologize for making new hardware that runs games better than their last-gen hardware. WHAT?

People are making themselves look crazy. It is really this simple. Switch is more powerful hardware so it runs games better than less powerful hardware. If you want to play the game with the least technical problems play it on the most powerful hardware. That is it.

I would be over the moon if the Wii U version holds up, as that'll be the version I will get the game on (pending impressions).

But reading through the article from the OP as well as impressions from people scattered throughout this thread is not giving me very high hopes.

I feel you. I just think all impressions should be considered, positive and negative

fireflame

Neogaf is one of the biggest gaming communities in the world, can't we really try to reach Nintendo? I know some developers come here, perhaps somehow here, and an admin or a dev has Nintendo names in a black notebook and could forward our concerns. I genuinely believe that sometimes we could launch our operation Neogafall of some sort. I believe that the existence of a better device is not an excuse for lack of professionnalism on the less powerful platform. This game has been planned years ago, before Nx was even announced.

I want to try BoTW, but i do not want to be given a game that is painful to play because of performance issues.

Neogaf is one of the biggest gaming communities in the world, can't we really try to reach Nintendo? I know some developers come here, perhaps somehow here, and an admin or a dev has Nintendo names in a black notebook and could forward our concerns. I genuinely believe that sometimes we could launch our operation Neogafall of some sort.

I want to try BoTW, but i do not want to be given a game that is painful to play because of performance issues.

My eyes are about to roll out of their sockets.

Neogaf is one of the biggest gaming communities in the world, can't we really try to reach Nintendo? I know some developers come here, perhaps somehow here, and an admin or a dev has Nintendo names in a black notebook and could forward our concerns. I genuinely believe that sometimes we could launch our operation Neogafall of some sort. I believe that the existence of a better device is not an excuse for lack of professionnalism on the less powerful platform. This game has been planned years ago, before Nx was even announced.

We're still waiting for Nintendo to issue a comment on the left Joycon malfunction lmao, chill man. Wait a few days and all your questions will be answered.

Jacce

Banned
No matter if the game is great. This is a topic about its technical performance for platform it was built for.

It started development as a Wii U game, it ended development with its lead platform as a Switch game. It spent at the very least the last year, if not two years with Switch as the lead platform it was developed on.

Swicth is the is the platform they are pushing in marketing. That is the platform they will sell more copies on (all signs point to a one and done WiiU shipment like was done with TP for GCN). Switch is the lead platform for BotW. NOT WiiU. That is a fact. WiiU used to be the lead platform but that was in the past.

LordKano

Lmao dude, they can't magically patch a game to run ahead of what the console is able to hold. No matter how hard you tell them.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Nintendo of America staff read GAF if that's what you want to know.

Though they are likely laughing right now.

Jacce

Banned

Hahaha, oh my goodness. Buy a Switch if you want to play it with better specs/performance. That is your answer. No one is going to join you in this bizarre crusade dude. Nintendo isn't releasing a patch to make their old outdated hardware run like their new more powerful hardware.

This is like trying to petition Nintendo to allow your old fat GameBoy to run games better like a GameBoy Color and saying it's unfair when someone plays Pokemon Gold on their GBC it looks/runs better than on your old GameBoy.

fireflame

Oot happened ages ago, right, I mean the industry is supposed to have evolved.II discussed with an employee of Nintendo who once told me that one of the qualities of Nintendo was that they released products with an outstanding technical quality, and that Nintendo granted a lot of importance to quality.

Also, Zelda is one of Nintendo major series, a respectable series that has been there for two decades, so I feel they should do their best to deliver a flawless experience.

faridmon

I wish Nintendo apologized and released a patch to optimize performances on Wii U.

What are you really getting at?

AHindD

This post is so embarrassing just to read. Nintendo should apologize for making new hardware that runs games better than their last-gen hardware. WHAT?

People are making themselves look crazy. It is really this simple. Switch is more powerful hardware so it runs games better than less powerful hardware. If you want to play the game with the least technical problems play it on the most powerful hardware. That is it.

You really dont get it.
Noone is arguing that the Switch runs the game better; of course it will.

People are concerned that the Wii U wont be able to run the game at a minimum baseline level.

jett

D-Member
Oot happened ages ago, right, I mean the industry is supposed to have evolved.II discussed with an employee of Nintendo who once told me that one of the qualities of Nintendo was that they released products with an outstanding technical quality, and that Nintendo granted a lot of importance to quality.

Also, Zelda is one of Nintendo major series, a respectable series that has been there for two decades, so I feel they should do their best to deliver a flawless experience.

Well, OOT actually has a perfectly stable framerate.

That framerate is however 20fps lol. :p

Jacce

Banned
You really dont get it.
Noone is arguing that the Switch runs the game better; of course it will.

People are concerned that the Wii U wont be able to run the game at a minimum baseline level.

Which is a silly concern because people have played it, Edge has played it. It isn't unplayable. It just runs and looks worse than the Switch version.

There's someone out there, an actual person, who spent time writing up this post

fireflame

Without being paranoid, is it possible to imagine that the wii u version would have it "sabotaged" on purpose? I do not want to believe that because it would look like a "conspiracy" theory, but on the other hand, the Switch is key to Nintendo's business... I don't know what to think.

AHindD

Which is a silly concern because people have played it, Edge has played it. It isn't unplayable. It just runs and looks worse than the Switch version.

.... I used the word 'concerned', based on the article presented in this very thread, as well as various impressions... in this very thread.

I think people have every right to be concerned about the Wii U version, considering that Nintendo seeminly appears to neglect it.

The spin and defense in this thread is amazing.

No wonder Nintendo is struggling as a hardware dev, they basically have nothing to live up to, no competition and fans give them a pass for everything

Youll find the same people whining about season pass or fps drops in other threads, praising nintendo,

now this shit is okay because nintendo is too ambitious.
hell 15-20fps games are okay because OOT was the same.

The hypocrisy is off the chain

fireflame

I apologize if my opinion looks weird to people, or if i appear to have too high expectations, i just felt that somehow, when you released a product for two platforms, the product should be good on both platforms, even if performances are lower on one of the two platforms. The descriptions i have read so far do no just state that performances on Wii U are lower, they seem to be quite dramatic and worrying.

Jacce

Banned
Without being paranoid, is it possible to imagine that the wii u version would have it "sabotaged" on purpose? I do not want to believe that because it would look like a "conspiracy" theory, but on the other hand, the Switch is key to Nintendo's business... I don't know what to think.

It is this simple: WiiU is less powerful than the Switch. So games on both platforms run better on Switch and look better on Switch because Switch is a technically superior system in just about every way.

That is it. No petition is going to make the WiiU more powerful/as powerful as the Switch. WiiU is the dead last-gen hardware. Switch is the brand new next-gen hardware. Games will run better on the new hardware. That is how it has always been.

THEaaron

Stop that.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Lol what? There was a nearly two-hour stream just last night which showed the Wii-U version to be a fine version of the game in every way.
Framerate drops were just as frequent as compared to the Switch versions, but nothing that severely impacts the game at all.

Wii-U owners have nothing to worry about.
This
/Thread lock
This thread has no more reason to be open since there's hard proof evidence that the game is fine

Scrawnton

In this thread, people that never played the PS3/360 versions of cross gen games also on PS4Xbone.

You Wii U buyers should be happy that you're still getting the same game and they didn't gut features to make it super stable. The priority is and has been for a year that the Switch version is the main version. That's the version Nintendo wants to sell you.

fireflame

I am french and I read the feedback from the person that was linked on Twitter, and the descriptions and user feedbacks seem to tell quite the opposite, that the performances are not just law but awful.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Any other sources than Gamekult yet?
Well, I don't have it, obviously, but I did tune into a number of streams showcasing the Wii U version. All I can say is that it's pretty obvious that it has some severe frame-rate problems. One area that was being shown basically ran at 20fps or lower the entire time.

The times I have played it on Wii U were similar in that regard but I had hoped it was simply unfinished. We'll see.

buttdiver

i missed that.
it could have displayed a map...
seems it took everything from the wii u.

It did at one point. When they first showed gameplay at the VGAs. I'm guessing that once switch became the primary development platform it got dropped for parity in gameplay experience.

Chao

This
/Thread lock
This thread has no more reason to be open since there's hard proof evidence that the game is fine
Seriously, people are not reading the opinions of those playing actual final versions of the game, and are listening to the pirates having issues with their SD loaders instead

I thought Nintendo games meant rock solid framerates?! What happened here?

Nintendo invented the concept of a game existing on 2 platforms with different hardware power at once , which justifies one being terrible.
I mean look at this post.
It is this simple: WiiU is less powerful than the Switch. So games on both platforms run better on Switch and look better on Switch because Switch is a technically superior system in just about every way.

That is it. No petition is going to make the WiiU more powerful/as powerful as the Switch. WiiU is the dead last-gen hardware. Switch is the brand new next-gen hardware. Games will run better on the new hardware. That is how it has always been.

Sony is clearly using space magic when horizon on ps4 runs great and looks just as good as the reveal when they could just stop working on the base version and promote the pro. Since you know, the game was announced as a ps4 game but released and marketed when pro is their latest machine.
No wonder nintendo is kicking their ass in the console market.

Top Bottom