• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamekult editor on graphical differences between the Zelda Switch/Wii U version

The last time we saw gamepad integration was 2014. The game mysteriously resurfaced with all gamepad features dropped, makes me wonder when the Switch version started development and whether the Wii U was the native platform in later stages of development.
The team only started working on the Switch version in Spring 2016.
Eiji Aonuma: And regarding the Nintendo Switch version, it was spring last year when we made a firm decision to also release on that platform. Obviously that required some adjustments to the development process and changes to be made, and to continue developing the Wii U version alongside Nintendo Switch, that was spring last year.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...rge-extra-burden-of-moving-to-nintendo-switch

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Hope it's better than that, and those are just early area issues. But in any case I don't know that I ever want a Switch (not into portables, overpriced/underpowered as a a console IMO)so I'll keep my preorder. I'll be balls deep in Horizon, but guess I'll set aside time to play this on Friday when it comes to see how it runs. If it's awful at least I'll know and can keep an eye on resell prices if the Wii U version is tough to find. Should be able to sell at cost at the least anyway since I bought with 20% GCU discount.

Hopefully none of those things will be an issue on CEMU.

And there's always this hope since I have a Wii U and gaming PC. Haven't bothered with CEMU, but may be worth looking into for BOTW depending on how long it takes them to get it running well.

ArmGunar

This is like complaining that MGSV runs worse on PS3 than PS4. It's a very ambitious game and at least it's actually releasing on Wii U. Leading up to release several gaffers speculated the Wii U version was cancelled.

No it's no the same thing.
Wii U has not its own Zelda, it should be BoTW

It would be more a situation like TLOU delayed from June to November to be released on PS4 and the PS3 version is shitty version

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
First, people should definitely wait for more impressions or (better yet) watch the new footage out there and decide for themselves.

That said, if this is accurate, I doubt this is the result of a lazy effort, poor development (does anyone know how to use Wii U's hardware better than Nintendo? Except maybe Shin'en, I guess. :p), or Nintendo abandoning their Wii U fans. It was likely a matter of EPD deciding whether to scale back the game or to ship it with performance issues, and they chose the latter. It'd be pretty unusual for the company, but I guess they had a vision for the game that they wanted to stick to. If the Wii U version is worse, it's because Nintendo released new hardware that can run it better. If the Switch version has truly been in development for a year, I doubt they suddenly said, "Now that we have a new version to code, let's make the other version we've spent 4 years on terrible."

And all of that said, it'd be nice to actually get numbers to look at rather than qualitative statements. People should try to not get up in arms over someone's opinion when we should have much more concrete data to draw our own conclusions from soon (if not right now).

Dremark

Banned
This is like complaining that MGSV runs worse on PS3 than PS4. It's a very ambitious game and at least it's actually releasing on Wii U. Leading up to release several gaffers speculated the Wii U version was cancelled.

Oh wow we should be so thankful they actually released a game they announced 4 years ago on the platform it was being developed for.

sanstesy

You'll see yourself 50 pages later.

Maybe you want to put in the OP also the corresponding judgement for Switch, because now it's not really a comparison.

It'll be fine, don't worry.

I don't see a reason for that as he is just pointing out specific things worse in the Wii U version.

In french here.

Rough translation courtesy of Coffinhal:

Strictly talking about the tutorial area :
Strong aliasing
Worse sharpness
Serious framerate drops
Visual issues with cutscenes and when getting out of the inventory
Too many actions (using a power+rotating the camera = "framerate death")
5 sec loading time when you get back to the Home menu
He installed every patch available
The plateau on Switch is bad framerate related and it gets better after, but in the plateau it's nowhere near what the Wii U version is
I mean I just watched a guy play around on a copy and it didn't have any of these issues so

AmyS

With such a massive game, what are the chances that either version will get a patch in the coming weeks / months ?

Guymelef

The plateau on Switch is bad framerate related and it gets better after, but in the plateau it's nowhere near what the Wii U version is

Wii U framerate is baaad.

I think E3 footage was a big lie

bomblord1

Banned
Hopefully none of those things will be an issue on CEMU.

Unless Cemu has a way to overclock the virtual CPU (I honestly don't know I haven't looked into it for a while) the frame rate will be the same as the WiiU.

Assuming it even runs at all day one.

Well by default some of these things are true just from the fact that it runs at a lower resolution...
Well yeah I mean it's gonna be worse and the IQ won't be as good but I was literally not even twenty minutes ago sitting next to somebody playing the game and the frame drops aren't nearly as frequent or as bad as stated here. The game will obviously run better on the better hardware but the WiiU version isn't broken and barely functional.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It'll be fine, don't worry.

I don't see a reason for that as he is just pointing out specific things worse in the Wii U version.

Switch version has also quite an aliasing and quite a number of framerate drops. Also both have low res textures. As I said, a nice comparative analysis with direct captures and videos is much better than a translated series of tweets.

Edited: oh, the video is from a pirate, forget it.

That's just insane to me. Is there a mistranslation or a miscommunication or something? They should've begun porting it to Switch as soon as the game was delayed from 2015. I just can't believe they'd have really not decided whether to put the game on Switch or not until not even a year ago.
It doesn't sound like a mistranslation to me. It seems like when the game was announced for a 2016 release near the end of 2015, the team was still planning for it to be Wii U only. This quote is from the same article.
Aonuma: And then obviously because up until that point the development team had been developing it as a Wii U title and making it as comfortable and enjoyable an experience as possible on Wii U, when we decided we'd also develop for Nintendo Switch, we knew in a way we would be placing a large extra burden on the development team. And I knew some would complain about it, as they'd been developing it for Wii U and they'd have to make some changes, but I really led that process myself - I really thought myself about how we could make that title work on Nintendo Switch, and had to sell the idea to the development team, in a way.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...rge-extra-burden-of-moving-to-nintendo-switch

Top Bottom