• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamepass Effect? Xbox One sold just 17k in July NPD

Sony

Nintendo
I don't understand how a One S V2 makes any business sense.

Quite simple: Gamepass and xCloud. Current GamePass in my opinion might not be a good justification for buying Xbox One S this late in the gen. That's because GamePass right not has around 100 games. However, there are 2500-3000 current gen games with the potential of being added to gamepass. For the publishers of those games, that would mean potential revenue that would otherwise be lost in a transition to next gen. Additionally, the next gen games that the Xbox One S can't run can be streamed though xCloud now that Gamepass and xCloud are merging together.

So in short:
Xbox One S ($):
- Low price
- Plays Current gen and cross gen games natively
- Plays Next gen games via xCloud

Xbox Series S ($$)
- Medium price
- Plays Current gen and cross gen games natively with better IQ and framerates (Microsoft's enhanced BC Program)
- Plays next gen games natively at lower resolutions and framerates.

Xbox Series X ($$$)
- High price
- Plays Current gen and cross gen games natively with better IQ and framerates, even better than Series S (Microsoft's enhanced BC Program)
- Plays next gen games natively at high quality

The key for this to succeed is to vastly expand on the Gamepass and xCloud library.
Liek I said, there is also an incentive for publishers to join Gamepass. Traditionally, curren gen games become last gen games.
If publishers join GamePass, then their games (and with that, revenue) will be preserved longer.

My personal guesstimate of pricing would be:
- Xbox One Sv2: 149-199
- Xbox Series S: 349-399
- Xbox Series X: 549-599

I have to say, I didn't understand what Microsoft what trying to do with their convoluted approach, but now it all makes sense to me.
On the one hand I wish that they would have discontinued the One S instead of the One X.
On the other hand, I understand why they did it. The difference between One X and Series S would amount to architecture, not raw power. Specifically SSD.

Last edited:
Maybe because the One S V2 is like the xbox 360 E. They want to make a profit on it, they make a smaller die size console, maybe even without a ODD. But who knows, maybe it's Lockhart. Plays xbox one games just the same and has the CPU/SSD for next gen games.

The poster you are replying to is right though. There is a limit to cutting costs on such an old piece of tech, I read somewhere that Sony do not make much profit on the PS4 despite that being (imo) at least $50 overpriced @ $200. I think they can cut it to $150 just about to not make a loss, losing the disc drive might save $10 per unit on top of that. Same for XB1S.

REDRZA MWS

Did Phil say he doesn't care that much about console sales because he knew July NPD numbers were going to be terrible? Can Gamepass maintain steady growth if Xbox moves low hardware numbers? Either way you need hardware to utilize Gamepass may it be a PC or Xbox.

Switch 340k
PS4 150k
XB1 17k

When their games are releasing day and date with PC, and all Xbox hardware too, their install base is larger than ever to sell games to people like me who have no use for gamepass. I digitallly buy and share games with a family member, whole gen on PS4 and Xbox have been BOGO for me.

Gamepass is another OPTION for MS to make money. Hardware doesn’t make money, it took them a while to figure out they already have the install base on PC, when you add all Xbox consoles they are set on hardware, and it’s consumers have choices. High end console, lower end console, PC, services.

Three

The poster you are replying to is right though. There is a limit to cutting costs on such an old piece of tech, I read somewhere that Sony do not make much profit on the PS4 despite that being (imo) at least $50 overpriced @ $200. I think they can cut it to $150 just about to not make a loss, losing the disc drive might save $10 per unit on top of that. Same for XB1S.
I don't know how well the xbox 360 E did but they released that with the xbox One. Must have done OK for them to continue this strange concept of releasing a new version of an old console on the brink of next gen. Maybe their main market is developing countries in which case a ODD will be there.

I think ending up X1X was stupid move, because I am not sure how many people would settle for S version....seems like I was right.
They probably stopped producing it because XBX costs too much for MS. It has allegedly a BOM of 440$ and they usually sell it at $400 (or less) with gamepass and such.

nush

Gold Member
Must have done OK for them to continue this strange concept of releasing a new version of an old console on the brink of next gen.

It's a cost reduced console with a low price and a big catalogue of games, the upgrade path to the better console.

Sony will still sell PS4 for years I think, Xbox strategy is to move on and forget this gen ever happened.
I remember the PS2 outselling the PS3 for a while lol- although I don't expect something that crazy this time.

As a gamer I find it offensive that MS just stopped bringing out games. I don't game for the "hype" of next gen. Support your console dammit.
Is this true? I thought MS was supporting the XB1 too long and it was holding everything back? Are they supporting the last gen too long or dropping it too soon? Could they be doing both and losing no matter what?

Is this true? I thought MS was supporting the XB1 too long and it was holding everything back? Are they supporting the last gen too long or dropping it too soon? Could they be doing both and losing no matter what?

Well this is just my personal opinion but stop making games in current gen a year before next gen arrives is kinda shitty. Assuming someone buys a console to play games on.

Its been a long draught for MS.

DaGwaphics

I’ve got another i5 NUC, not a gaming one, as my media server and it’s fantastic, though the fan does blow an absolute gale and make a lot of noise when it’s doing even pretty basic things like transcoding video for plex, or downloading and unpacking Usenet files. Watching 1080p video on it will even make it extremely loud unfortunately.

For web browsing and general day to day tasks though they’re amazing. The non devs at my work all use them and have no complaints. You pay for the size but I think it’s worth it.

Hmm, I guess I might go a different way, either with one of the more gaming oriented nucs or a different mini option. I can't stand excessive fan noise during normal operation.

Sony Sony , sounds plausible. The thing I'm the most curious about, regarding an updated 1S, is whether or not they've moved to 7nm on the SoC. If they did, that would reduce power consumption a lot, allowing them to move to a smaller PSU and cooling solution.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
PlayStation and Nintendo are also selling all they can make too. The difference is they are selling hundreds of thousands, not tens.

Aladin

Absolutely no stock.
One X is extinct.
Every now and then, a limited stock of One S pops up on the microsoft website. That too is marked up at 300$.

frogger

Xbox one is sold out every where, MS hasn't been making new ones for month. I had to buy a used one for my office.

Last edited:

magaman

Banned
I won't wasnt my time so take this

Lmfao. This is your "proof"? Some unverified guy on Twitter with 800 followers, who is an Experience Design Architect?

Get the fuck out of here :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

EDIT:
Figure I'd go ahead and lay some more fake news your way from Forbes. By the way, this is from May, and shows continued (and unrelenting) devastation by Sony: https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...ll-the-xbox-one-this-generation/#1e89b7565b0c

EDIT 2:
More fake news that suggests Sony's utter demolition of Xbox. By the way, this is from February.

Last edited:
Lmfao. This is your "proof"? Some unverified guy on Twitter with 800 followers, who is an Experience Design Architect?

Get the fuck out of here :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

EDIT:
Figure I'd go ahead and lay some more fake news your way from Forbes. By the way, this is from May, and shows continued (and unrelenting) devastation by Sony: https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...ll-the-xbox-one-this-generation/#1e89b7565b0c

EDIT 2:
More fake news that suggests Sony's utter demolition of Xbox. By the way, this is from February.
I get the feeling your dick is hard over this news, weirdo. lol.

sinnergy

3 months left in a gen.
Severely reduced available stock.

This news?
It is here ..

anyway , everything will be service based in the future. Even Apple is transitioning into that area.

and you see how this is already offsetting margins at Microsoft .

Last edited:

Sorc3r3r

Sony will still sell PS4 for years I think, Xbox strategy is to move on and forget this gen ever happened.
I remember the PS2 outselling the PS3 for a while lol- although I don't expect something that crazy this time.

As a gamer I find it offensive that MS just stopped bringing out games. I don't game for the "hype" of next gen. Support your console dammit.

It's the third time they cut the support of their console abruptly.
And it's their 3rd console.
So it's clear that they simply don't care, they are the first not to respect their userbase, they showed no commitment at all, it's a clear policy choice with no interest to modify it.
Those are facts after 3 generations.

Orky

Banned
Any proof for that leak? Or should we take all leaks as gospel?
Also where do last years numbers come from? Like there isn't even a source of the rumor?
Or is OP a vetted insider?

Orky

Banned
It's the third time they cut the support of their console abruptly.
And it's their 3rd console.
So it's clear that they simply don't care, they are the first not to respect their userbase, they showed no commitment at all, it's a clear policy choice with no interest to modify it.
Those are facts after 3 generations.

What do you mean cut the support of their console? They are releasing all their first party games for two more years?! And even support game pass on xbox one? There are even rumors that they are going to release a Xbox One S V2 version soon, maybe that's why they are clearing stock for the V2 of Xbox one S.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Look at PS1 transition to PS2, PS2 transition to PS3, PS3 transition to PS4, PS4 transition to PS5 and compare software output and next generation exclusives in the launch window.

Kagey K

Banned
Well this is just my personal opinion but stop making games in current gen a year before next gen arrives is kinda shitty. Assuming someone buys a console to play games on.

Its been a long draught for MS.
This is a weird take, didn’t they just release Grounded, Battletoads and Wasteland 3 in less then a month?

Im sure those games won’t count because reasons, but the are also still adding content and supporting other games released previously, which I’m also sure doesn’t count.

Im wondering how they are ever going to release a new console with the promise of thousands of BC games since no games ever came out for it.

Or maybe, there are plenty of games to play on it but you choose to ignore them or pretend they don’t exist because...... reasons?

12Dannu123

There was a previous thread here asking about if you want Xbox to stop doing hardware. I voted no and use the same reason as you mentioned. However, most of the news recently it looks like they are moving away from hardware and going hard with gamepass, which is great because I do enjoy some of their games on PC. So if they are going to concentrate more on software that's good, at least they won't get distracted with hardware anymore (they don't care about it sales wise as they say) and focus more on software. If this is X last console, I'm pretty sure another hardware will come up to challenge Sony, so competition will still be there.

Unfortunately I doubt there will be any competition in the console space. Everybody is focusing on the cloud gaming front.

Thirty7ven

Banned
The funny bit is fanboys thinking MS clearing stock is somehow a positive. Great product you have there that MS can't fucking wait to take it out back and shoot it in the head.

Xbox One X came out in 2017, and was hanged in the public square before the end of 2020.

giphy.gif

AllBizness

Banned
When their games are releasing day and date with PC, and all Xbox hardware too, their install base is larger than ever to sell games to people like me who have no use for gamepass. I digitallly buy and share games with a family member, whole gen on PS4 and Xbox have been BOGO for me.

Gamepass is another OPTION for MS to make money. Hardware doesn’t make money, it took them a while to figure out they already have the install base on PC, when you add all Xbox consoles they are set on hardware, and it’s consumers have choices. High end console, lower end console, PC, services.
Console hardware makes a fuckton of money. Quit thinking about the retail side which has razor thin margins. The money is in the games that are purchased on the console. Sony let the cat out of the bag with their latest financial report from two weeks ago. They make more money collecting 30% on each 3rd party games mtx than PS+ revenue. And we not even going to talk about the 30% cut they get on each digital game sale. These console makers are making really good money on these consoles. Even selling at a loss at retail is totally worth it. Microsoft ain't getting a 30% cut of shit on PC, just the revenue from selling their game and in return giving up 30% of that to Steam.

Last edited:
Top Bottom