• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamepass is ruining gaming for me

Segaswirl

Are you just new to Gamepass? I think that might be something to do with it. Like a buffet, when you first set your eyes on it you want to try everything but I think in time you will find something you will like and settle on it.

I've completed 6 Yakuza games 100% this past year and i'm now around 80 hours deep into Dragon Quest XI. Gamepass certainly isn't ruining gaming for me.

Kliptik81

Neo Member
I understand this 100%. I am playing Tales of Vesperia: DE right now. I am enjoying it, but I want to play something else along side it. I'm just not sure what to play.

My other issue is with ToV being a 50hrs + game I want to keep going incase it is to be delisted from Game Pass. I'd like to drop it for a week or so to avoid RPG fatigue, but would hate to run out of time.

I wish they would list how long it was going to be on. I know they do that sometimes on PSnow (Spiderman was on there and said it was for 180 days or something and would leave the service on a specific day)
There are too many games, I start a game, play it a little, even if I like it, the amount of games available makes me want to try something else... So I keep jumping from a game to another

Back when I played on pc only, I used to buy a game and play it until completion because I felt committed to my investment.

Currently playing control, prey, dishonored, doom eternal, cyber shadow, hollow knight, and the list goes on...

I went 2 days without playing doom eternal and now everything seems ultra hard because I lost the muscle memory...

xrnzaaas

I remember when I bought my PS4 and subbed to PS+ for the first time. I wanted to play and finish all PS+ games even when I had other, better games in my library and in my backlog. Now I just don't care about how many "free" games I've missed or ignored. Just play what you enjoy and don't try to start every game that's there just because it's a part of the service you're paying for.

You need to organize your gaming time based on how much time you have to game. What I used to do was I'd have a single SP and a single MP title. Although with my free time and the MP game taking maybe half or less of that time in order to clear my backlog I've reduced the time I used to play MP by a lot and introduced another SP game to go through when I need a break from the other one. Occasionally I still play MP but a lot less these days. One thing that helps steer off it is that MP games are basically "infinite". I mean, have a look at whatever MP game you play and how much time you've invested in it. Probably enough to clear the backlog 10x over...lol

Keihart

There are too many games, I start a game, play it a little, even if I like it, the amount of games available makes me want to try something else... So I keep jumping from a game to another

Back when I played on pc only, I used to buy a game and play it until completion because I felt committed to my investment.

Currently playing control, prey, dishonored, doom eternal, cyber shadow, hollow knight, and the list goes on...

I went 2 days without playing doom eternal and now everything seems ultra hard because I lost the muscle memory...
It's human nature OP, maybe this will help you understand how to approach it

Kliptik81

Neo Member
If a game leaves GamePass they 1. give you advanced warning that it's going to leave soon and 2. you can own it for 20% off.
Oh for sure, it's usually a 2 week notice. I just think it would be nice to know if its gonna be on there for 6 months, 12 months or longer. I just hate investing 15hrs into a game, then knowing I either have to rush to complete it in the last 2 week (which i usually don't have time)
At least the Microsoft published games are there forever.

scalman

not a single game i need from it , played have everything allready that i need. maybe after tons new games will release and appear there...someday

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

OP i feel sorry for you for not doing research on the games you buy so you force yourself to complete games because you felt committed to your investment instead of having fun.

Alright

Banned
I used to buy PSX and DC games at 3 for £10. Some weeks i would have 9 games to play through. Most of the time 7 were duds, 1 was aight and 1 would be phenomenal. I couldn't tell you a goddamned thing about the other 8, but those 1's stayed with me decades later.

Gamepass is the same. I give a game 10-15 minutes and i can tell if i'll like it or not. Most are wank, some are aight, every now and then you find that Diamond in the rough, and that's worth the price of admission.

mxbison

I get that. When GamePass came to PC I constantly had the fear of "missing value".

This $60 game is on GamePass so I have to play it, right?

Fuck that, dropping games or not playing them at all is fine. Time > Money.

Last edited:

Kerotan

I only download 1 or 2 single player games on my Ps5 max. Last week that was jedi fallen order and ghost of tsutshima. This week it's ghost and star wars squadrons.

I own metro exodus, control and assassins creed origins but I won't even consider downloading them until I'm finished with the others.

A small HDD is actually enough when you play like this lol.

To put it simple, you didn't really found a game that you really love in the GP catalogue because let me tell you one thing, when you REALLY like a game, you play only that one until its finished.

So continue your search, you clearly haven't found the right one.
I agree. I've had a hard time committing to a game for awhile. Then, of all unexpected things, I became hooked the past 4 months on Conan Exiles for PS4. Flawed game for sure, but i'm getting a lot a fun out of it. Just gotta find one that hooks ya.

Nester99

Its not gamepass it's your brain. (and mine)

If you had a billion dollars and could buy every single game, would your brain put you in the same position ?

I feel it myself, but you need to control yourself to be your best self.

I am in a similar boat, I try to play something new then an hour later i am back playing Slay the Spire or Monster train. Those games are ruining all other games. =D

Last edited:
"an embarrassment of riches"

I think it's a mentality thing. I think you're relating the value of these games with the amount you're paying for the service. I think that's a dangerous mentality to go down. Maybe you could try and separate the two?
If that's how it's making you think about games outside of GamePass, what is your current view on games that aren't a part of GamePass?

MiguelItUp

First world problem for sure, haha. So many haters in here, Jesus.

I can understand the whole, "Good God there's too much here where do I start?" approach. I'd say go through all the games you're interested in, and break them down by what you think you're most interested in playing at THAT time. If you dig it, finish it, and move onto the next one. If you don't dig it, move onto the next one, and finish that one. Rinse and repeat.

Sounds good to me. It’s not like you have a responsibility to finish the games. I’m sure you’ll find some favorites that will stick in a while.

twilo99

There's a lot on there.. its a good thing.

Just finished Alan Wake and the last Ori game.. good times, I would've never bought these on Steam or whatever.

Doom next.

Last edited:

Caio

For me it's quiet easy : I scroll all the Games, I take 5 minutes to choose the top 3 I want, and I download. I finish the first, then the second, then the third, and the cycle starts again :D can't be easier then that.
Never make things more difficult than they are.

ShinobiWan1

Maybe it's because you're paying for the subscription? You might feel obligated to get as much as you can for your money, and keep jumping from game to game in an effort to do that.

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
I don't see the problem. If I want to play a particular game I'll play it. Else I'll run a script in GoG galaxy to go to a random game until I find one I want to play. I do the same with TV. Some series I'll watch straight through, others I'll choose among the 15 or so I'm partially through (sometimes with random.org)

Last edited:

Bramble

This is exactly why I don't have GP and PS Now. I would be exactly like this. It makes the whole experience feel so cheap and generic.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This is exactly why I don't have GP and PS Now. I would be exactly like this. It makes the whole experience feel so cheap and generic.

Except it's not.......instead it's just an exceptional value for most people.
Do you apply the same standard to disney plus/netflix/HBO max/prime/cbs?
I doubt it.

What is this thread? Having too many games to play is a bad thing now apparently? 🙄 Come on OP this is the dream, back in the day I'd spend £30 to £40 on a new game and have to wait 6 months to buy another one.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Possible solution: subscribe for a limited time, like 3 months, plan which games to play, and you will see your true commitment level :messenger_grinning:

I've played and finished some games in my last month of 6 months long subscription. I agree, it makes you drop games easily if you don't like them that much(like outer worlds, bloodstained, halo series, sea of thieves, phoenix point etc.). I rarerly drop games that i purchased, it feels like i'm throwing money out of the window. But that thought makes you play boring games till the end and creates a huge backlog so i don't know which way is good.

As a side note, i dropped FF 7 remake too, because it came from PS plus sub and i didn't like it that much.

Tschumi

I can only say that, if u trawl through my posts, you'll see a lot of bullshit about tennis crotch shots but you'll also eventually find my reasoning for not liking the idea of gamepass and, well, you just about paraphrased it exactly in ur OP.

*feels correct*

Don't think too much or the game u liked can be removed...lol

That's why i use gamepass as a huge demo section.
If i like, i buy it.

Rent ? Netflix with games ? Not for me!

reksveks

.I rarerly drop games that i purchased, it feels like i'm throwing money out of the window. But that thought makes you play boring games till the end and creates a huge backlog so i don't know which way is good.
There is a podcast that that touched on that topic in context of CD's vs music streaming.

I don't see the argument (not saying that you are making it) that forcing yourself to spend more time with the game/song is a 'better' way to consume the media.

Welcome to having problems with backlogs. The only real issue here with Gamerpass is that the day you eventually want to play that game you left gathering dust for a good time might not be there anymore. It might take a long time to happen, but it's still a possibility.

I have had a huge backlog of games, books, and media behind my back for a while and just now I started to clean them up, one at a time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom