• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameRant: Saints Row reboot reportedly cost over $100 million to make

hemo memo

Gold Member
Yes, this is how much games cost these days. People keep saying this over and over yet others do not believe it. Games are really, really expensive to make. A bad game, like a bad movie, takes the same amount of effort and cost as a good game.
Games are really, really horribly managed financially you mean.

AmuroChan

That said, Volition has 230+ employees, so if it cost $100m to make Saints row, it would mean a crazy budget for Assassins creed games made by Ubisoft Montreal’s thousands of developers.

Yes, but you have to consider the fact that a lot of the thousands of people on AC games are not working full time on just that one AC game for 5 years. Ubisoft likes to outsource certain parts of their games to their satellite studios to work on. That's why their game credits are so long.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I still think this game could have been so much bigger if they would have named it something other than Saints Row. A bunch of noodle-armed zoomers turning to a life of crime to pay off the crushing student debt from their useless art degrees is as far from Saints Row as it gets but it could work in another context.

PJX

Yes, this is how much games cost these days. People keep saying this over and over yet others do not believe it. Games are really, really expensive to make. A bad game, like a bad movie, takes the same amount of effort and cost as a good game.
No.

DMC5 did not cost that much to make neither did Bayonetta 3. The games that come close to costing that much are games that want to go the Hollywood movie production route or games that are managed badly financially.

diffusionx

Gold Member
No.

DMC5 did not cost that much to make neither did Bayonetta 3. The games that come close to costing that much are games that want to go the Hollywood movie production route or games that are managed badly financially.
I am now aware of any figures on how much they cost but I bet it is a lot more than you think

ZehDon

Gold Member
Having played a small amount of the game, I'd like to know where it all went. The game is a lazy copy paste job that feels AA budget at best, soulless cash grab at worst.

PJX

I am now aware of any figures on how much they cost but I bet it is a lot more than you think
I'm going by conversations I've had with friends in the industry and my experience working with different studios. Other than Square Enix, games that cost $100 million + usually come from western studios and it's not the norm.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Naw, it would've had FAR better writing.
wQapQJT.gif

Yep, you're not wrong actually :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Games are expensive but with complete game engines like Unreal it should also be 'cheaper' to develop shit shovelware like this, a $100 million for this is a joke and the entire industry needs to collapse and start again.

hussar16

Look at the results. A woke turd. Bet those advisers and diversity hires are laughing all the way to the bank. They have been paid and are moving onto the next problematic franchise to update for modern audiences.

Shareholders must be fuming.
The worst part is these devs influence rhe game and what saints row reboot turned into. Instead of them rebooting saints row into a small realstic gangster warfare game we got this

Indies and studios that have no AAA-script for the game they make and no clearly awesome prototype should stick to small or at least smaller PS4 budgets. Upres the textures, maybe via AI, and anything else should not be blown up. Nothing of the new Saints Row appeared ever to provide anything special, to expect somewhat GTA like success, so investing heavily in it had to result in a failed pipedream.

Agents of Mayhem released in 2017. Saints Row released in 2022. That's a 5 year interval.
Remember that those 230 employees can turn into 400 or 500, because big budget games have a lot of outsourcing to external studios and freelancers.

$100 million budget isn't surprising...

It's you're assumption they are all getting paid $80,000 that's hilarious because companies shaft staff all the time, especially contracts and temps.

Indies and studios that have no AAA-script for the game they make and no clearly awesome prototype should stick to small or at least smaller PS4 budgets. Upres the textures, maybe via AI, and anything else should not be blown up. Nothing of the new Saints Row appeared ever to provide anything special, to expect somewhat GTA like success, so investing heavily in it had to result in a failed pipedream.
Back in the day so many developers tried to make a GTA clone. Hell Saints row tried it too.
Nobody ever got close.

Top Bottom