• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#GAMERGATE: The Threadening [Read the OP] -- #StopGamerGate2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goon Boon

Banned
I just checked 8chan. They're mad at a mod there for deleting the personal info, they're calling him a sjw shill.

0Cri4ar.png

Is this the thing you're talking about? With the link going to a post that says :

As I've already stated here

https://twitter.com/Niko_of_Death/status/520742379096391680

Doxxing and threats are not the goal of #GamerGate or the subject of /gg/. PLEASE do not bump threads containing doxxes, and report them immediately. If you must post in them, sage.

I'm sorry that I'm not able to be completely on top of this kind of thing. However, I refuse to let your freedom of speech suffer because of the actions of these people.

Good news: It turns out that the doxxing that Zoe discovered was old.

Bad news: By "old," it means that 8chan had a thread with personal info, including all known past addresses and personal family info, with posters talking about camping in front of her house, up on their board for a month with no attempts to remove it.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Honestly, I think the thing that made this whole shitstorm way worse than it had to be was Leigh Alexander and co's "gamers are over" articles. That was the point where GG grew to being more than a 4chan thing, because a bunch of people who liked video games, disliked threats and bigotry, and were totally okay with more women and minorities in games understandably took offense to it. At the very least it's why I supported the hashtag for a while (note the past tense.)

I think it's understandable that a group of people who adopted the hashtag in the first place because they were offended at being labeled as bigots and assholes due to the actions of a small minority of the group they associated with (gamers) would see people claiming their hashtag represented bigotry and threats due to the actions of a small minority of its supporters as proof that they were right to pick it up in the first place rather than proof that they should drop it.

Except those articles weren't about insulting gamers they were about telling developers that the "gamer" stereotype wasn't the only market they should be focusing on. It was a call for inclusiveness... Actually, that seems to be what Gamergate is more about than corruption... Or they think the media trying to encourage inclusiveness is corruption.

Boy this stuff is hard to read. Women being harassed and lives threatened is not cool. Ethics in journalism is good. Why are there even sides at all?

Those aren't the "sides". The women being harassed aren't somehow for corruption in journalism. Unless you define "corruption" as "calling for inclusiveness, as I mentioned above.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Wow I can't believe what my feeds are blowing up with.. this is nuts.

antigoon

Except those articles weren't about insulting gamers they were about telling developers that the "gamer" stereotype wasn't the only market they should be focusing on. It was a call for inclusiveness... Actually, that seems to be what Gamergate is more about than corruption... Or they think the media trying to encourage inclusiveness is corruption.

Gamergate is absolutely about defending a shitty, exclusionary and homogeneous community and culture. Games are for everyone now - and they hate it.

SwissLion

I just checked 8chan. They're mad at a mod there for deleting the personal info, obviously he must be a sjw shill.

Yup. Feeding more evidence into what is actually going on when people say "We call out harassers!" and "People get shouted down if they plan attacks!"

They don't care about the people that might get attacked. They care about the bad PR it would bring to the already maligned Gamergate. "Don't harass people guys or they'll use it against us!" "I hope nobody goes and kills someone. That would look really bad!" "This Nazi signing up with us is giving us a really bad image you guys."

It takes a second to realise that the people saying stuff like this are broken fucking human beings but they are nonetheless. No concern for people getting harassed. No acknowledgement that anyone getting killed would be a fucking tragedy. No self-reflection on what it might mean that a fucking nazi is into what you guys are putting down.

WARP10CK

Banned
After the latest developments the entire gaming community needs to stand together and condemn these threats against Anita dont care if you are a gg supporter or not this will destroy the gaming community if we do not take a stand against lunatics like this.

This has gotten completely out of control now with the Utah threat i fear for the community as a whole and Anita and everyone else have the right to speak their minds without being threathened this is not the society i want to live in or a culture i want to be a part of.

Etnos

Banned
There are many ways #GG can come out of this and condemn the crazy people,however something tells me that they won't and call it a false flag then try to get the gun nuts against Anita for trying to ban guns or something.

Perhaps they had a chance. However, IMO at this point any sort of legitimacy they had it's gone... not that I've ever agree with this movement anyway.

BTW Bennet just got it right:

Screen_Shot_2014_10_14_at_2_45_52_PM.png

Those aren't the "sides". The women being harassed aren't somehow for corruption in journalism. Unless you define "corruption" as "calling for inclusiveness, as I mentioned above.

I didn't mean those were the sides. I meant more or less that people are trying to affiliate themselves with Gamergate and worried about blame and such. It appears like those that are affiliating themselves (at least a vocal segment) with Gamergate have created an artificial other side in Social Justice Warriors. In the end we should all want both. Equality to women and ethics in journalism. There should be no sides in the matter, there should be no need for Gamergate. One crime does not justify another. Just create discussions like we have here and vote with your own browsing habits.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
After the latest developments the entire gaming community needs to stand together and condemn these threats against Anita dont care if you are a gg supporter or not this will destroy the gaming community if we do not take a stand against lunatics like this.

This has gotten completely out of control now with the Utah threat i fear for the community as a whole and Anita and everyone else have the right to speak their minds without being threathened this is not the society i want to live in or a culture i want to be a part of.

I'm pretty sure that everyone has been trying their best to stand together and condemning all these threats. Check out every comment section on the verge/kotaku/polygon/vice. People are against these acts of terrorism

SwissLion

It's been said time and again though.

If you're an active participant in Gamergate, it doesn't really matter how hard you "Condemn" harassment. You are passively enabling it through your presence in the movement. Its a movement with abuse and bigotry at its core, and attaching yourself to the relatively cleaner outside of "Better journalistic ethics" is just letting it roll all the more easily through the industry. You're acting as a trojan horse. Hiding and Shielding and unintentionally assisting them.

NateDrake

The vast majority of the community is against such claims of violence and acts of that nature. Unfortunately, we have a vocal audience on social media networks that like to claim support for insane actions.

I just saw on my Facebook feed people claiming Anita is sending herself the death threats to get attention. These people making such baseless claims don't fear being punished for their nonsense & will continue to act like idiots.

andymcc

Banned
I'm pretty sure that everyone has been trying their best to stand together and condemning all these threats. Check out every comment section on the verge/kotaku/polygon/vice. People are against these acts of terrorism

Yeah, there are some vocal condemnations but there are still an alarming amount of twitter harassers STILL "false-flagging", "we need more proof" to both Anita and Zoe (who just got super doxxed).

meijiko

That hashtag is making me so happy right now. It was so disheartening to see every article's comments flooded with GGers. It felt like this thread was the last bastion of sane people, but the space created by that hashtag paints a much happier picture.

PBalfredo

Since it seems like some GamerGate supporters are finally coming to their senses, it seems appropriate to re-post this.

Mods: Please let me know if you want me to stop posting this. And/or feel-free to update the OP with it if you feel it worthy.

This is a list of actual things that GamerGate believes and has accomplished so far

wow

just wow

GG really has no legs to stand on

kyoya

Usually the FBI takes months in tracking down people involved in threats....I'm hoping word gets round once people get arrested.

Shit gets real when G-Men have to step over Hot Pocket boxes and moe anime body pillows to cuff a muffin-top troll with biscuit wrists.

Usually the FBI takes months in tracking down people involved in threats....I'm hoping word gets round once people get arrested.

Shit gets real when G-Men have to step over Hot Pocket boxes and moe anime body pillows to cuff a muffin-top troll with biscuit wrists.

Some people say it was from a disgruntled USU student, so hopefully that will make tracking this person down easier.

does mundane matt not remember when he tried to stop people from spreading the "reddit shadowbanned a dude for mentioning gamergate in an assange AMA" bullshit and they all called him a shill and turncoat for like a day

gamergate people actually believe people are upset with gamergate for "talking about ethics in games journalism"?

I imagine they do. It's one of those 'what we say matters more then what we are actually doing' things.

You are just not suppose to question them on it. The Tea party works off a similar principle.

kyoya

Some people say it was from a disgruntled USU student, so hopefully that will make tracking this person down easier.

I certainly hope so - only a matter of time. Any GG troll who is sending out threats just has to google the gamer name "Matthew Tollis" to see what kind of federal charges they're in for.

Either that or "our movement has nothing to do with all that save for the fact it was our origin".

I'm pretty sure I saw a Tweet - and then stupidly didn't copy/paste it - where someone said Zoe had been doxxed again.

EDIT:
Spooky Scary SkelDan ‏@danielwhitcomb 1h1 hour ago
Hey, #Gamergate is, as we speak, sharing Zoe Quinn's home address and discussing sending people to it. So yeah. No Moral leg to stand on.

David, Boo Spooky! ‏@Vodstok 46m46 minutes ago
.@FBI there have been bomb, death and rape threats as a result. They are even trying to organize a sit in an Zoe Quinn's home #GamerGate

I certainly hope so - only a matter of time. Any GG troll who is sending out threats just has to google the gamer name "Matthew Tollis" to see what kind of federal charges they're in for.

Well if they classify it as terrorism then the person will get a decent time in Jail..... however, they might not do that...

Corpekata

Banned
does mundane matt not remember when he tried to stop people from spreading the "reddit shadowbanned a dude for mentioning gamergate in an assange AMA" bullshit and they all called him a shill and turncoat for like a day

He won them over by making "Maybe So and So's death threats were fake" videos within a few hours of the threat.

Pastry

Banned
I'm pretty sure I saw a Tweet - and then stupidly didn't copy/paste it - where someone said Zoe had been doxxed again.

EDIT:
Spooky Scary SkelDan ‏@danielwhitcomb 1h1 hour ago
Hey, #Gamergate is, as we speak, sharing Zoe Quinn's home address and discussing sending people to it. So yeah. No Moral leg to stand on.t

David, Boo Spooky! ‏@Vodstok 46m46 minutes ago
.@FBI there have been bomb, death and rape threats as a result. They are even trying to organize a sit in an Zoe Quinn's home #GamerGate

You've got to be kidding me, really hope this isn't true.

docbon

yeah, i'm currently staring at an unlisted board on 8chan potentially detailing every address she's ever lived at. not linking for obvious reasons.

Yeah, I've gotta distance myself from the entire GG/anti-GG debate now. I supported GG originally, and while I still think we need to always talk about ethics in journalism, there's so much vitriol in the debate right now that any discussion is rendered ineffective. Save it for a later time and later date when bigger problems come to light.

Staying neutral, it takes up way too much time and energy to even follow now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom