• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamers Don't Finish Games - Raptr 360 Completion Stats

Gowans

Let me try this again, the Below is from a Raptr.com study of percentage of registered gamers who have played a game and completed it looking at the percentage who gained the final achievement.

Modern Warfare 2
Complete the game - 66.75%

Mass Effect 2
Complete Final Story Mission - 65.8%

CoD4 Modern Warfare
Complete the Game - 64.41%

Gears of War 2
Complete all acts - 62.22%

Assassins Creed 2
Complete Final Mission - 57.59%

Halo 3
Complete the Game - 56.69%

Halo Reach
Complete the Game - 56.18%

Shadow Complex
Complete the Game - 55.88%

Gears of War
Complete all acts - 55.84%

Castle Crashers
Complete the Game - 55.16%

Mass Effect
Complete Mass Effect Playthrough - 54.79%

Resident Evil 5
Complete All Chapters - 54.54%

Halo ODST
Complete the Game - 53.68%

CoD World at War
Complete the game - 49.14%

Braid
Complete the game - 45.01%

Fallout 3
Finish Finally Story Mission - 44.85%

Assassins Creed
Complete Assassins Creed - 44.57%

Bayonetta
Complete all Chapters on any difficulty - 43.58%

Dead Space
Complete the game - 43.24%

Dirt 2
Completed the Singleplayer - 41.29%

Devil May Cry 4
Complete All Missions - 36.78%

Alan Wake
Complete the game - 35.56%

Grand Theft Auto IV
Complete the final mission - 32.15%

Darksiders
Complete the game - 30.81%

Dead Rising
Survive 72hours - 26.18%

Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Finish Last Mission - 23.88%

'Splosion Man
Complete the Single Player game - 16.16%

Trials HD
Complete Extreme - 12.20%

Battlefield: Bad Company
Complete Last Mission - 7.56%

Red Dead Redemption
Complete the final Story Mission - 5.2%

As you can see, Gamers don't finish games.

What can we read from this, the game type, genre, game length etc. (tried to avoid newer games)?
Is this as valuable as a Metacritc score or a review to late purchasers?

I was going to look up more, Final Fantasy 13 etc. but I was unfamiliar to what the last achievement is, if you want to search for yourself and add to the thread I'll update the OP later.

Slavik81

Is this as valuable as a Metacritc score or a review to late purchasers?
Not really. There are many different reasons why players won't complete games. For Super Meat Boy (5.5% or 0.9% for the 'real end'), it may be because the game is so difficult at that point. For Red Dead Redemption, it's probably because they didn't care about the main storyline.

The number of people who've beaten the game tells you next to nothing about its enjoyability.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
fewer people beat RDR than Trials? Wow

edit: okay fine, smaller percentage of people beat RDR than trials?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
As you can see, Gamers don't finish games.

They don't? Those completion percentages look high to me. Lower in some cases for very difficult games, open world games with deemphasized main quests, and multiplayer-focused games.

Shurs

Those percentages are actually higher than I thought they'd be.

To be fair, though, if someone is into games enough to sign up for Raptr, I'd wager they finish a higher percentage of games than your average Joe.

Owzers

Games are long and boring. And even when they are short they are still boring ( God of War 3). There is only a tiny, tiny number of games where i had fun from beginning to end. Now that i started renting some games through blockbuster, i don't feel compelled to finish it before selling it, i just return it and try something else. I made it through about 40 minutes of Mafia 2 before deciding " this is really boring, i do not feel like playing more".

EDIT: And yeah 50%+ or even 40% seems decently high.

Gowans

Slavik81 said:
Not really. There are many different reasons why players won't complete games. For Super Meat Boy (5.5% or 0.9% for the 'real end'), it may be because the game is so difficult at that point. For Red Dead Redemption, it's probably because they didn't care about the main storyline.

The number of people who've beaten the game tells you next to nothing about its enjoyability.
Yeah some games aren't about the final goal but alot are.

I find it interesting, especially in story based games where the intended goal is to reach the 'end' and that developers themselves who track this properlyhave been adjusting the content or the games for the what the players do.

John said:
these numbers are a lot higher than i'd expect tbh

Well you need to remember it's raptr users who have opted in and want to track their stats.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
As high as I expected.

Also some of us are kind of too busy to finish these games and end up doing MP instead.

It's not that we don't like the game.

Gowans

Y2Kev said:
fewer people beat RDR than Trials? Wow

edit: okay fine, smaller percentage of people beat RDR than trials?
yeah I found that odd.

EviLore said:
They don't? Those completion percentages look high to me. Lower in some cases for very difficult games, open world games with deemphasized main quests, and multiplayer-focused games.
and the pure length I think would do it.

Wallach

I'm a little surprised by the number of folks that finished Fallout 3 compared to Read Dead Redemption. I assumed that would be in RDR's favor but it's probably just a time thing.

The typical gamer doesn't get near those %'s.

I personally have completed only one of the games on that list (Fallout 3), yet I played many of them.

Dabanton

Modern Warfare 2

CoD4 Modern Warfare

Gears of War 2

Assassins Creed 2

Halo 3

Halo Reach

Gears of War

Mass Effect

Halo ODST

Braid

Bayonetta

Alan Wake

Grand Theft Auto IV

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Battlefield: Bad Company

Red Dead Redemption

These are all the games i've finished on that list.

Papa

Banned
Hmm, why is RDR so low? I didn't finish it because I got sick of how repetitive and dull the gameplay was but I know I was in the minority.

Gowans

The thing that scares me is that Devs can really track this and see this for themselves.

Does that mean they are going to use this as a guide for what their audience want and are we going to end up with more focused, front loaded, shorter games?

Is that a bad thing?

Absoludacrous said:
Doesn't saying that invalidate your entire topic?
I clearly stated what it was, I don't think it does as it's just an indicator in that audience.

I find it really interesting.

Volcynika

Absoludacrous said:
Doesn't saying that invalidate your entire topic?

Yeah, it's kinda odd. The thread title says "Gamers don't finish games" and the stats are from a system people have to opt into for one console.

Duxxy3

Beating a game is a lot more vague than in previous generations. Now the only absolute is 100% or getting a platinum.

matt404au said:
Hmm, why is RDR so low? I didn't finish it because I got sick of how repetitive and dull the gameplay was but I know I was in the minority.

I suspect a lot of people think they finished it, but didn't.

LQX

When they say finish do they mean got all the achievements or completed a game and saw the ending? If its got all the achievements then they are nuts to think many gamers go out of there way to get some of those ridiculous achievements. To me me finishing a game is seeing the ending not getting all of the achievements.

Gowans

Volcynika said:
Yeah, it's kinda odd. The thread title says "Gamers don't finish games" and the stats are from a system people have to opt into for one console.
I didn't think "360 Live connected Gamers who are registered on raptr.com's game completion statistics" would be quite as readable ;)

PS: I showed the stat % for the achievement gained for completing the main story/final story objective in the games.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
What does that RDR percentage means to devs? Should they increase the quality of the quests and keep the game short? As a gamer I don't even know what I want. I know I like to roam around the free world, but I must have gotten bored or something because I haven't touched the game in a while.

Grayman

godhandiscen said:
What does that RDR percentage means to devs? Should they increase the quality of the quests and keep the game short? As a gamer I don't even know what I want. I know I like to roam around the free world, but I must have gotten bored or something because I haven't touched the game in a while.
it should mean cut out mexico.

LQX said:
When they say finish do they mean got all the achievements or completed a game and saw the ending? If its got all the achievements then they are nuts to think many gamers go out of there way to get some of those ridiculous achievements. To me me finishing a game is seeing the ending not getting all of the achievements.
I think it means they earned the achievement earned upon completion of the game. "Finished the Fight" and such.

Mhmm that RDR completion percentage is really low.
Maybe a lot of people thought the main campaign was over
after John's death and never discovered the last mission in Blackwater

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
All the "walk-a-games" have high completion rates. I wonder what the NES, Genesis, PSX and PS2 completion rates were for a generational comparison.

Gowans

cosmicblizzard said:
I don't completely remember what the final trophy is in FFXIII, but it seems to be in the 20% range for PS3 and 3% for 360.
OWCH!!!

Interesting the difference between audience tho.

Grayman

Shaheed79 said:
All the "walk-a-games" have high completion rates. I wonder what the NES, Genesis, PSX and PS2 completion rates were for a generational comparison.
I didn't complete many aside from those road runner vs coyotoe games until the PSX came around. I might have beat a link to a past at a friends house. On the NES and Gen I did not own anything that had saves or unlimited continues like games do now. On PC I usually got stuck as well.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Off of that list I've only completed Reach, Mass Effect 2, Halo 3, Ass Creed, Gears, Resident Evil 5 and Dead Rising. Working on Dead Space 2.

I guess I'm part of the problem :S

Mass Effect 2
Complete Final Story Mission - 65.8%

Looks like a lot of people finished ME2 long after they bought it (maybe compelled by ME3 announcement).

This was earlier this year:

crazy-mass-effect-2-stats-and-what-theyre-used-for-20100903105831289_640w.jpg

Guevara

Sickboy007 said:
Mhmm that RDR completion percentage is really low.
Maybe a lot of people thought the main campaign was over
after John's death and never discovered the last mission in Blackwater

Good point. I wouldn't have found it without the internet spoiling it for me.

godhandiscen said:

To be fair, RDR's
real ending doesn't happen unless you do an easily missable stranger mission after what appears to be the ending of the game. I don't know if that makes any difference, though.

Those CoD stats look pretty damn high. I know people that never even touch the SP portion of multiplayer shooters.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Sickboy007 said:
Looks like a lot of people finished ME2 long after they bought it (maybe compelled by ME3 announcement).

This was earlier this year:

crazy-mass-effect-2-stats-and-what-theyre-used-for-20100903105831289_640w.jpg
The difference is probably that these numbers are for people signed up for Raptr, and probably play more games and more of them.

Those numbers you have are everyone.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Of the games on that list that I own and have played the only two I haven't finished are Assassin's Creed 2 (currently playing) and 'Splosion Man.

EDIT: Missed GTA4.

1-D_FTW

If Trials HD is even remotely close to Trials 2 difficulty, I'm very impressed by that number. I would have thought more like 2 percent than 12.

Top Bottom