• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Gamers Nexus] Xbox Series X Thermals, Power, & Noise Testing: Cooler Design Analysis & Break-Down

TLZ

Banned
I normally love putting up summaries but in the last thread (NX Gamer - The Medium analysis) that devangel guy made it sound like I ruined his weekend by posting a summary, and he got multiple likes, so I figured I was doing something wrong.
Lmao. We always have summaries though. I guess you can put them in spoilers.

GN just answered the real question, though

Dj Khaled And Another One GIF

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I normally love putting up summaries but in the last thread (NX Gamer - The Medium analysis) that devangel guy made it sound like I ruined his weekend by posting a summary, and he got multiple likes, so I figured I was doing something wrong.
dont listen to derangedAngel. keep doing those summaries. it's actually poor forum etiquette to post a link or video without summary.

rofif

Banned

GHG GHG is he referring to your post?

Christ gn you don't need to comment on every negative comment there is. This is embarrassing. Is he not used to people having doubts and automatically agreeing with him?
Besides, just create account here instead of making fun on twitter

Zathalus

Just check his data, the Xbox is indeed quieter, but it's the difference between a quiet whisper and a really quiet whisper. So both should be basically inaudible to the average user. Both of mine are.

GHG

Gold Member
GN just answered the real question, though

Imma need DF, VGTech, and NX to confirm this or not, tho

GHG GHG YOU FAMOUS NOW

Steve, blink if you see this!

I don't mind at all, if I interpreted what he said incorrectly, I interpreted it incorrectly. The clarification is welcome. Nice to know that he lurks here though, next time he starts up a PC vs console shitstorm at least we know exactly why.

Love you Steve :goog_blowing_kiss:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Just check his data, the Xbox is indeed quieter, but it's the difference between a quiet whisper and a really quiet whisper. So both should be basically inaudible to the average user. Both of mine are.
We are on a forum that consider a win a 0.1 or even less fps average of course there will be claims of victory, when in fact in both cases nobody can tell the difference.

Fredrik

Great video by GN. XSX currently annoys me for a couple of reasons I’ve already moaned about elsewhere but it’s essentially completely silent, has a cool design and apparently does it all without heat issues. Good job MS! 👍

Last edited:
Can you not put the summary under a hidden click spoiler tag?

I would not worry about what a bunch of random idiots on a random forum like or dislike. Your thread, do what you wanna do. Fuck everyone else. Don't let people dictate how you must must live, what you must say or not say and so on. I used to be like this too but once I've learned too not give a shit I started winning more in life while the jealous stupid ignorant morons continued to cry, bitch and lose even harder because they have nothing of value to offer to others because they are too fuckkng lazy and dumb.

Last edited:
I would not worry about what a bunch of random idiots on a random forum like or dislike. Your thread, do what you wanna do. Fuck everyone else. Don't let people dictate how you must must, what you must say or not say and so on. I used to be like this too but once I've learned too not give a shit I started winning more in life while the jealous stupid ignorant morons continued to cry, bitch and lose even harder because they have nothing of value to offer to others because they are too fuckkng lazy and dumb.
That's a little aggressive. The comment in question only said the summary contained everything in the video leaving no reason to watch the video. People put a lot of work into these videos so there should be a nice balance between summary and still leaving something to gain from actually watching the video.
I feel this has been taken way overboard and is being managed very childishly.

Self

Great video by GN. XSX currently annoys me for a couple of reasons I’ve already moaned about elsewhere but it’s essentially completely silent, has a cool design and apparently does it all without heat issues. Good job MS! 👍
Same here. I have several little software issues with the Series X I already complained about, but the hardware is top notch. Well done MS.

That's a little aggressive. The comment in question only said the summary contained everything in the video leaving no reason to watch the video. People put a lot of work into these videos so there should be a nice balance between summary and still leaving something to gain from actually watching the video.

While you may have a point in regards to people putting time and effort into their videos, a small summary is fine. If an individual finds the value in the summary then its their choice whether they want to watch the full thing or not, plus if the video is from a big channel already, then I would not worry about their views to be quite frank.

I run a company of aboit 8 different and and we all try to optimize for maximum viewership and we post our stuff on different aggregator sites such as n4g and gameondaily and had plenty of cases where people would post a summary of our top lists. Guess what? While it seemed it might suck that someone is writing out your entire top list, we still get more views than normal simply because the video was allowed to be posted on the website (it has to go through a community approval process) and that was good enough for us. If you really wanna grow a channel and show of your work at an accelerated rate, then spend money on ads. Of course nothing beats going viral, best form of marketing and its free. We had videos that went into the 100K range when we were at 100 subs and made us explode simply because it was released at the right moment and it was good quality. Channels who are consistent shouldn't really worry about someone gives out whole video or not. Hardworking individuals will get where they want, while a bunch of angry mobs on a random forum will never get anywhere.

I know I come off aggressive, but I hate to break it to you, there are reasons why I am like that. If you knew me more, then perhaps you'd understand. Either way, my way of living and my mentality these days, gets me around, so I am good where I am at. Thanks for your honesty though.

Last edited:
While you may have a point in regards to people putting time and effort into their videos, a small summary is fine. If an individual finds the value in the summary then its their choice whether they want to watch the full thing or not, plus if the video is from a big channel already, then I would not worry about their views to be quite frank.

I run a company of aboit 8 different and and we all try to optimize for maximum viewership and we post our stuff on different aggregator sites such as n4g and gameondaily and had plenty of cases where people would post a summary of our top lists. Guess what? While it seemed it might suck that someone is writing out your entire top list, we still get more views than normal simply because the video was allowed to be posted on the website (it has to go through a community approval process) and that was good enough for us. If you really wanna grow a channel and show of your work at an accelerated rate, then spend money on ads. Of course nothing beats going viral, best form of marketing and its free. We had videos that went into the 100K range when we were at 100 subs and made us explode simply because it was released at the right moment and it was good quality. Channels who are consistent shouldn't really worry about someone gives out whole video or not. Hardworking individuals will get where they want, while a bunch of angry mobs on a random forum will never get anywhere.

I know I come off aggressive, but I hate to break it to you, there are reasons why I am like that. If you knew me more, then perhaps you'd understand. Either way, my way of living and my mentality these days, gets me around, so I am good where I am at. Thanks for your honesty though.
Congrats to you friend
This is the post that is causing all the drama
OP posted the whole damn video content, no need to watch it now. Thanks i guess.....🤦
I feel the response is way overboard to this user. The amount of name calling towards them for reasonable criticism is still very childish.
I still think summaries should be concise and cover the hot topics while leaving a bit of info left on the table.

Nice video.

My XSX is slightly louder than my PS5 so there will be a bit of variation there but you have to concentrate to notice it over background noise and obviously can't hear it over any kind of game audio so I have two functionally silent consoles under normal conditions.

I wasn't gonna keep the convo about it going, but I have to say two things:

It wasn't just one comment. That dude had made several bitch posts across many analysis threads, one saying that all analysis threads should be banned, another saying that analysis threads remind him of "Trump supporters," etc. Check his post history

Also, the NX Gamer - The Medium summary literally did not contain every detail of the vid, not even close. I posted like 8 points that NX made, focusing on stuff like curious VRAM usage and missing RT relfections, but the video is around 17 minutes long, he talked about a lot more.

But, yeah, it wasn't just one comment, it was a culmination of how that guy interacts with many threads I had posted, all antagonistically. When I asked him (in that The Medium thread) "should I not post summaries" he then said something like "summaries are fine, not poorly written shitty paragraphs of pointless walls of texts" or something like that. Ironically, his critique of my writing contained numerous errors, but whatever, I let that slide.

It is what it is. I normally wouldn't have minded it but people seemed to support his view (based on reactions) so I figured the OPs were better without summaries. I want people to enjoy the subject of the OP, I don't want to hinder that experience in any way. I had always found summaries helpful, myself, but that's just me.

The back and forth between me and that guy is on the first page of the NX Gamer - The Medium thread, I stand by what I've said. Maybe I am bit sensitive, but that doesn't change the facts.

(edit, yeah this was more than two things, my bad. I am gonna move on and let it go. Forgive me)

Last edited:

DavidGzz

I can't hear my Series X. I can't hear my PS5. Xbox wins? Ok.

PS5 "wins" when there is a 2 frame per second difference that no one would notice too, so what's your point? It's almost like when Xbox gets a miniscule win they say it doesn't matter anyway, no one will notice. When PS5 gets one the "another one" memes come out in droves and I bet you don't nay say them. PS5 can take the L here, especially when it's way larger and I can still hear the coil whine.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Steve also went into XSX/PS5 airflow & cooler design in a previous video using Schlieren photography(very cool). These charts basically confirm what he said in that video: vertical vs horizontal console position doesn't really affect thermals due to the speed and flow of the air being ejected from the console.
n8gRTTt.jpg

Timestamped for explanation...

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
I finally watched the full video.
It is super in depth and he goes on and on about half of fake holes at the back... ok? I would guess the holes either would show some cables or other parts or there is no more open vents needed.
The dust argument I agree. The xbox have no dust filters or catchers at all.

All in all.. His videos can be really good but he goes on and on and on like a professor and after a while You realize you were not listening. I think he focuses too much on some ocd details of his while also being obsessed with more vents, vents, vents.
I like watching his case reviews and live OC streams with nitrogen. But he can be really close minded sometimes.

I finally watched the full video.
It is super in depth and he goes on and on about half of fake holes at the back... ok? I would guess the holes either would show some cables or other parts or there is no more open vents needed.
The dust argument I agree. The xbox have no dust filters or catchers at all.

All in all.. His videos can be really good but he goes on and on and on like a professor and after a while You realize you were not listening. I think he focuses too much on some ocd details of his while also being obsessed with more vents, vents, vents.
I like watching his case reviews and live OC streams with nitrogen. But he can be really close minded sometimes.

I like that he's thorough. Focusing on the little details is a bit part of his success. I hear ya, though.

Top Bottom